PDA

View Full Version : Flynn looks better than Brohm

rbaloha1
08-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Your thoughts Packers nation.

Lurker64
08-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Flynn is also playing against scrubbier scrubs than the scrubs that Brohm was up against. Still, Flynn's a guy who has historically played best when there's pressure on him, which is not something you can say about Brohm.

Gunakor
08-11-2008, 09:31 PM
I'd like to see Flynn get a chance with the #2's

BallHawk
08-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Jesus, he's thrown 5 passes. Give it some time.

The Gunshooter
08-11-2008, 10:02 PM
He is in like Flynn. Brohm looks lost.

KYPack
08-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Neither one of 'em is an NFL back-up QB. Which on is better than the other?

Not enough data, too small a sample size, fer sure.

We have to get a back-up QB and neither one of these kids can do the job.

rbaloha1
08-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Flynn displays more moxie and field presence. A late round steal like Colt Brennan for the Redskins.

Still think it is prudent to get a veteran backup.

boiga
08-11-2008, 10:48 PM
According to Rodgers, a couple of receivers ran the wrong route that first Brohm interception.

So, give the guy a break for a week. I think he'll show some more potential on saturday.

Pugger
08-11-2008, 10:50 PM
I have a feeling TT will sign a veteran QB before the end of TC. Some veterans with experience will be among the finale cut downs. But all of this playing time for our 2 rookies duirng these exhibition games is very valuable for their developement. :pack:

MadtownPacker
08-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Flynn looked the part IMO. Yeah it was against 3rd stringer so let's see him against the 2s next week. But tonight he made some plays. He was making things happen and would have very likely scored a TD at the end if not for the "have to take your" Lumpkin fumble.

VegasPackFan
08-11-2008, 11:42 PM
I think we have to give Brohm more time to develop. The guy would have been an early first round pick if he had come out for the draft after his JR year.

It takes a lot more to evaluate these rookies than a few downs in a preseason game.

If they pick up a vet backup, it will be interesting to see what they do with these two. I would suspect that Brohm would stay and Flynn would go. Maybe someone else on here can explain how they could keep all four in that situation? Can they put Flynn on a developmental squad or something?

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2008, 11:44 PM
I think we have to give Brohm more time to develop. The guy would have been an early first round pick if he had come out for the draft after his JR year.

forget the draft, that is all theory. the pro game is different from college. judge strictly by what you see on the field.

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Right now, Flynn >= Brohm.

We really do need a veteran backup. Neither of these guys are good enough to start RIGHT NOW.

The Gunshooter
08-12-2008, 12:08 AM
They have to wait to see how Flynn does first before they give up on him and bring in a vet. They are not going to cut Brohm.

Brohm
08-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Many thought Rodgers stunk the past few years playing with the 2's and 3's. It's the first NFL game action for these guys.

texaspackerbacker
08-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Brohm didn't look bad, but it's true, Flynn looked a little more polished at this point.

I think either of them could step in and do all right --no washed up vet QB needed.

Also, both looked better than Rodgers in the very early stages of his career.

boiga
08-12-2008, 12:39 AM
According to JSO, Tory Humphrey was at fault for the Brohm interception. He stayed in to block when he should have been at the receiving end of that pass.

Outside of that one incident, Brohm had the same numbers tonight as did Flynn despite being up against less scrub scrubs.

Give the guy another chance already.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 12:41 AM
Brohm didn't look bad,

Bullshit. He didn't look bad for a #3 QB who doesn't have to play for a couple years. But the backup job is for a guy who can step in and be the starter for the season. Brohm is not even close to being ready.

I think either of them could step in and do all right --no washed up vet QB needed.

based on what? wishful thinking.

Pacopete4
08-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Brohm didn't look bad,

Bullshit. He didn't look bad for a #3 QB who doesn't have to play for a couple years. But the backup job is for a guy who can step in and be the starter for the season. Brohm is not even close to being ready.

Harlan.. we gotta give him a few more looksy's before we just say he can't play... hell if we just threw in the towel this easy Favre nor Rodgers would be in the league still

Bretsky
08-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Rodgers looked lost in his first season; the rookies will be up and down too. I'm fine going with them though. They will get better

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Brohm didn't look bad,

Harlan.. we gotta give him a few more looksy's before we just say he can't play... hell if we just threw in the towel this easy Favre nor Rodgers would be in the league still

I'm not saying they can't play. they just aren't ready to be #2's yet. They are #3 development types.

Hell, Favre was #4 on the depth chart his first year in the league.

Pacopete4
08-12-2008, 12:59 AM
Brohm didn't look bad,

I'm not saying they can't play. they just aren't ready to be #2's yet. They are #3 development types.

Hell, Favre was #4 on the depth chart his first year in the league.

Can't argue with you on that one... but I'll give em the preseason to make that judgment on them.. I think if Rodgers is lost or just simply plays bad, our season might be already lost even with a Vet QB so I'm ok with those 2 learning this year and playing if need be

Brohm
08-12-2008, 01:02 AM
If Flynn and Brohm are neck and neck and we still need a vet, I wouldn't be surprised if we kept 4 QBs on the roster

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2008, 01:37 AM
If Flynn and Brohm are neck and neck and we still need a vet, I wouldn't be surprised if we kept 4 QBs on the roster

I have no problem with them going with 4 QBs. Tampa Bay did it last year.

mission
08-12-2008, 03:00 AM
You can say it was Humphreys fault on the interception and it probably was judging by MM's reaction on the sideline but come on, did you see the reply? there was 3 defenders there? i dont care if it was favre's fault, you still cant throw the ball.

either way, you could see a lot of first-game NFL jitters. i wont be too hard on him ... flynn looked decent tonight.

run pMc
08-12-2008, 08:34 AM
My goodness...it's the first preseason game. The rookies' heads were probably swimming. Give them a little more time. If M3 thinks they can't do the job as a backup he'll ask TT to get someone who can.

Fritz
08-12-2008, 08:35 AM
I've said this before but it's applicable here; it's amazing to me how flippin' lost rookie QB's look as they begin their NFL careers. Not just these two guys - most every one looks clueless. It's got to be the biggest transition of any position in any sport, going from college to the pros. Guys who were drafted at the head of their class look, well, like me the first few times they step onto the field for a game. Passes go to places where there's no receiver - no players at all. Other passes fly ten yards over a guy's head. It all just looks discombobulated and ugly.

It's a lot to ask a rookie to do - be a second string QB. I suspect TT's decision as to whether to get a vet will depend upon what the coaching staff ultimately thinks about Brohm and Flynn, especially. If they really, really like Flynn and don't want to take a chance on losing him, they might just keep the two rooks and cross their fingers.

The Leaper
08-12-2008, 08:54 AM
If they really, really like Flynn and don't want to take a chance on losing him, they might just keep the two rooks and cross their fingers.

I don't care how much you like Flynn...you don't go into a season with a potential playoff contender having 0 career starts on your roster at QB and 2 rookies.

I don't like keeping 4 QBs either.

Tarlam!
08-12-2008, 09:19 AM
A-Rod will do fine and won't get injured. If he does go down, we'll be a run team.

No worries.

The Gunshooter
08-12-2008, 09:19 AM
If they really, really like Flynn and don't want to take a chance on losing him, they might just keep the two rooks and cross their fingers.

I don't care how much you like Flynn...you don't go into a season with a potential playoff contender having 0 career starts on your roster at QB and 2 rookies.

I don't like keeping 4 QBs either.

QB's who actually watch Rodgers know he is going to be the starter in GB for a long time if he stays off the cart. Nobody who has aspirations of starting will want to come here. Even Favre wouldn't back him up.

The Leaper
08-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Nobody who has aspirations of starting will want to come here.

No, but someone who isn't likely to get a starting gig anywhere else in 2008 might be interested in taking a chance with Green Bay...because if Rodgers misses any time, that player would have a chance to shine with a very potent offense to earn a free agent deal as a starter elsewhere in 2009.

Anyone available at this point isn't going to be a starter anywhere else in 2008. The starters or potential starters are all in camp somewhere.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 11:18 AM

I have no problem with them going with 4 QBs. Tampa Bay did it last year.

I have a little problem with it, but they are stuck. I think this is the problem with taking 2 QBs in the same draft. Unless one of them bombs, you can't protect them both. Maybe if Brohm clearly outplays Flynn you MIGHT be able to hide Flynn on practice squad, but that ain't gonna happen, Flynn is too good.

Brohm
08-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Packers have gone with 4 QBs before. I think it was Farve, Pederson, Brooks and Hasselbeck? Not sure how it went down but we have had a stockpile of good back-ups in the past. Farve, Brunnel, Detmer, Brooks :?: hell we had to cut Kurt Warner :shock:

mngolf19
08-12-2008, 12:26 PM
In this era of needing every roster space you can get, no way you can keep 4 QB's. And no way you can go into the season without a vet backup if you consider yourself a playoff team. Harlan's right this time. :)

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2008, 12:56 PM
In this era of needing every roster space you can get, no way you can keep 4 QB's. And no way you can go into the season without a vet backup if you consider yourself a playoff team. Harlan's right this time. :)

I don't understand this. They've been at 53 man rosters for awhile now, and teams have carried 4 QBs. Most teams don't like to do it, but it's a "no way" proposition. Tampa Bay did it last year.

cpk1994
08-12-2008, 01:02 PM

I don't understand this. They've been at 53 man rosters for awhile now, and teams have carried 4 QBs. Most teams don't like to do it, but it's a "no way" proposition. Tampa Bay did it last year.A team has carried 2 punters too. :lol:

mngolf19
08-12-2008, 04:07 PM

I don't understand this. They've been at 53 man rosters for awhile now, and teams have carried 4 QBs. Most teams don't like to do it, but it's a "no way" proposition. Tampa Bay did it last year.A team has carried 2 punters too. :lol:

Well the reason is that you have no intention of playing the 4th guy. This means holding a roster spot for a guy that isn't going to play. Most teams have hard enough time keeping enough extras avail on gameday at other positions to not lose this roster spot. An example would be the Pack a couple years ago at WR. You basically ran out some games.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-12-2008, 04:48 PM
I've said this before but it's applicable here; it's amazing to me how flippin' lost rookie QB's look as they begin their NFL careers. Not just these two guys - most every one looks clueless. It's got to be the biggest transition of any position in any sport, going from college to the pros. Guys who were drafted at the head of their class look, well, like me the first few times they step onto the field for a game. Passes go to places where there's no receiver - no players at all. Other passes fly ten yards over a guy's head. It all just looks discombobulated and ugly.

It's a lot to ask a rookie to do - be a second string QB. I suspect TT's decision as to whether to get a vet will depend upon what the coaching staff ultimately thinks about Brohm and Flynn, especially. If they really, really like Flynn and don't want to take a chance on losing him, they might just keep the two rooks and cross their fingers.

Maybe it is just me..or maybe it is that i'm now an "old" guy, but i remember a time when you groomed a QB..like we did with arod. That is the best way to insure success.

Nobody wants to go into the season with a rookie QB...i don't care if they are the #1 pick or the mr. irrelevant.

Rookie QBs should never see the field.

mraynrand
08-12-2008, 06:24 PM

Maybe it is just me..or maybe it is that i'm now an "old" guy, but i remember a time when you groomed a QB..like we did with arod. That is the best way to insure success.

Nobody wants to go into the season with a rookie QB...i don't care if they are the #1 pick or the mr. irrelevant.

I agree. But I would have liked Rodgers to have seen a little more live regular season action before taking the reins.

Zool
08-12-2008, 07:31 PM

I agree. But I would have liked Rodgers to have seen a little more live regular season action before taking the reins.

Hard to do with 250+ sitting in front of you though.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-12-2008, 07:52 PM

Agreed. But, that was hard in this situation due to an ironman qb and arod's injuries.

Either way, if that is our biggest complaint about grooming then we are in pretty good shape.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 08:39 PM
I think two QB grooming projects is one too many to carry on a roster.

At the end of preseason, I would totally support Thompson bumping-off one of the the two rookies. Ya, it might make TT look like an ass for wasting a draft pick, but that decisiveness would impress me all the more.

I suppose cutting a 2nd round draft pick is pretty unheard of. I won't hold my breath.

mraynrand
08-12-2008, 09:21 PM

At the end of preseason, I would totally support Thompson bumping-off one of the the two rookies. Ya, it might make TT look like an ass for wasting a draft pick, but that decisiveness would impress me all the more.

I suppose cutting a 2nd round draft pick is pretty unheard of. I won't hold my breath.

Flynn would be a good PS candidate, unless he plays 'too' well.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 09:24 PM
he's already played too well.

mission
08-12-2008, 09:24 PM

Agreed. Snatched up off that in a hurry.

Do you think with players who *are* project and don't fill an immediate need for an NFL team (right now), that there's a sort of gentleman's agreement between NFL GMs to not go nuts poaching other people's practice squads.

A guy like Flynn can't help anyone today and I suppose *all* teams have a few PS players they feel they can develop into a contributor ... wonder how, if at all, the good ol boys club plays out with this situation from a mutual respect perspective.

digitaldean
08-12-2008, 09:27 PM

I would have to think that the Packers would sign a late cut veteran. Especially one from Tampa Bay. I'd take Simms if they didn't trade him to Dallas.

Personally, there is a need for a veteran QB, even if it's a 3-4 year veteran. I'd put the 3rd stringer on the PS and make the #2 into the #3 emergency QB.

Tarlam!
08-13-2008, 04:59 AM
If TT doesn't sign a vet, one has to think he is willing to sacrifice this season as a "re-building" year.

I hope he sticks to his guns and doesn't sign a vet. I am patiant. Our team is young. We have 5-6 years of opportunities as of now.

Rastak
08-13-2008, 05:58 AM

Do you think with players who *are* project and don't fill an immediate need for an NFL team (right now), that there's a sort of gentleman's agreement between NFL GMs to not go nuts poaching other people's practice squads.

A guy like Flynn can't help anyone today and I suppose *all* teams have a few PS players they feel they can develop into a contributor ... wonder how, if at all, the good ol boys club plays out with this situation from a mutual respect perspective.

It doesn't. The Vikings tried to slide a 7th round QB prospect onto the practice squad last year and he was claimed. All teams try and improve their rosters any way they can. If Flynn shows enough he'd be claimed. If he's mediocre enough, he might slide through. Brohm would be claimed in an instant so the PS isn't an option for him.

mission
08-13-2008, 06:00 AM

It doesn't. The Vikings tried to slide a 7th round QB prospect onto the practice squad last year and he was claimed. All teams try and improve their rosters any way they can. If Flynn shows enough he'd be claimed. If he's mediocre enough, he might slide through. Brohm would be claimed in an instant so the PS isn't an option for him.

Makes sense :tup:

MadtownPacker
08-13-2008, 10:50 AM
If TT doesn't sign a vet, one has to think he is willing to sacrifice this season as a "re-building" year.

I hope he sticks to his guns and doesn't sign a vet. I am patiant. Our team is young. We have 5-6 years of opportunities as of now.I think he should sign a vet but if TT wants to go for broke with his own picks than fuck it, Im down to ride. One of those 3 mofos has to be the guy.

MadtownPacker
08-13-2008, 10:52 AM
he's already played too well.Very true. TT can't cut Brohm and now he wont want to lose Flynn. Have to keep him.

packers11
08-13-2008, 10:52 AM
www.rotoworld.com

Packers GM Ted Thompson gave his rookie quarterbacks a vote of confidence after their performance in Monday night's game.

Despite their struggles, Thompson said he likes them now more than he ever did. Thompson wouldn't rule acquiring another quarterback if one becomes available -- similar to the Ryan Grant trade late last preseason -- but he's not actively searching for an upgrade.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Related: Matt Flynn

mission
08-14-2008, 01:25 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Packers GM Ted Thompson gave his rookie quarterbacks a vote of confidence after their performance in Monday night's game.

Despite their struggles, Thompson said he likes them now more than he ever did. Thompson wouldn't rule acquiring another quarterback if one becomes available -- similar to the Ryan Grant trade late last preseason -- but he's not actively searching for an upgrade.

That makes sense. I guess I didnt know Flynn was as productive (moving the ball at least) as he was and then MM's comments about him challenging for #2. I'm all for it! Gotta admit, I was a lil googly-eyed with a female by the fourth quarter... it was downhill from there.

rbaloha1
08-14-2008, 02:03 PM
The Packers should not gamble by placing Flynn on the practice squad.

TT needs to resign Craig Nall as the emergency backup. On game day based on performance either Brohm or Flynn is inactive.

Assuming A-rod plays well and signs a long term deal then the rookie qbs make great draft trades. (Detmer, Brunell, Brooks, Hasselbeck)

Just another example of TT's great drafting abilities.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-14-2008, 03:33 PM

TT needs to resign Craig Nall as the emergency backup. On game day based on performance either Brohm or Flynn is inactive.

Assuming A-rod plays well and signs a long term deal then the rookie qbs make great draft trades. (Detmer, Brunell, Brooks, Hasselbeck)

Fuck Craig Nall. If that is the direction...might as well just stay with the rookies.

swede
08-14-2008, 03:43 PM
TT needs to resign Craig Nall as the emergency backup...

Time to get Gureski on the Nallphone!

Calling Gureski! Calling Gureski! People be talking about signing Nall yet one more time again.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/batphone.jpg

Joemailman
08-14-2008, 04:30 PM
www.rotoworld.com

What struggles? Were Brohm and Flynn really any worse than a lot of backup QB's in the first preseason game? I don't think so. Most teams are carrying 3-4 QB's right now. That means that the best unsigned guy out there is maybe the 100th best NFL QB. Damn it TT. Sign him already! :roll:

Harlan Huckleby
08-15-2008, 01:52 AM
What struggles? Were Brohm and Flynn really any worse than a lot of backup QB's in the first preseason game?

ya, they were real shaky. Of course there are three more games left for them to come around.

Don't you remember CRaig Nall, the preseason wonder? Lots of backups look competent in preseason.

Merlin
08-15-2008, 04:46 AM
Our backup QB's are, in a word, "scary". They look lost and that's fine because it is their first year. Which would be "ok" but we don't have anyone else. Rodgers looks like a deer caught in the headlights so it's only a matter of time before he goes down, hopefully not for long. Ted Thompson's "I am smarter then everyone else" ego is going to cost us football games this year. Rodgers will get injured, one of our rookies will have to play a snap or two. Didn't Rodgers first injury happen when the guy ran out of bounds and wasn't even touched? It is going to be an interesting season in Green Bay.

Scott Campbell
08-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Ted Thompson's "I am smarter then everyone else" ego.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mraynrand
08-15-2008, 09:57 AM

Fuck Craig Nall. If that is the direction...might as well just stay with the rookies.

Maybe it's time for a thread about Craig Nall. That would liven things up here.

cpk1994
08-15-2008, 01:28 PM

Maybe it's time for a thread about Craig Nall. That would liven things up here.No, we don't need Merlin any more animated than he already is.

SnakeLH2006
08-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Rooks esp. at QB take time. I do like what I saw out of Flynn and was "surprised" by Brohm's rookieness (is that a word??) in that first game. In the end, it doesn't really matter because if either plays significant time this year, that means we don't make the playoffs. Go RodMan (yes I'm copyrighting that term)!!