PDA

View Full Version : Hodge and Rouse as a starters?

rbaloha1
08-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Packers Nation,

Should Hodge be starting over Brady? Hodge is finally displaying the Iowa skills. Wow!

Should Rouse be the starter over Collins or Bigby? The guy always makes big plays. Much greater ball awareness than Collins. Amazing tackler.

Lurker64
08-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Right now Hodge needs to worry about beating out Desmond Bishop and Tracy White for a roster spot. He had a good night tonight, but "starting" is an enormous stretch at this point.

Joemailman
08-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Rouse has a real shot. Hodge will have to wait.

3irty1
08-11-2008, 10:26 PM
As far as just wrapping up and making tackles I've always thought Blackmon was underrated. In this defense a corner who can tackle doesn't mean much though.

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Rouse has a real shot. Hodge will have to wait.

I'd like to see the Packers take a risk and start Rouse.

Hodge - he is competing with Chillar to be the 4th linebacker, the guy who would start in the event of a linebacker injury.

boiga
08-11-2008, 11:19 PM
The Packers showed a 2-4 defense on a third down tonight, so the 4th LB'er will get some non-relief game time.

This is a great idea, from my point of view. Our LB's were looking stellar today and considering the pain in the DL, they could use a breather occasionally.

VegasPackFan
08-11-2008, 11:38 PM
I would love to see Rouse as the starter. He just seems to have "it" as far as instincts, play-making ability, etc. We certainly have a good mix of older guys with experience and younger, big potential types in the defensive backfield.

Partial
08-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Rouse should be starting. Collins didn't show much tonight, and got burned badly at least once.

MadtownPacker
08-11-2008, 11:45 PM
If Rouse aint starting at safety than M3 should be fired. He catches every damn ball that comes his way. Seems like he has a pick everytime he is on the field.

Game changer, enough said!

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Rouse? Perhaps.
Hodge? Not a chance in hell.

mission
08-12-2008, 03:07 AM
I agree with Mad 100%

Freak Out
08-12-2008, 10:05 AM
The only way Hodge starts is if we lose a LB or two to injury.

mmmdk
08-12-2008, 11:19 AM
I like Hodge and his attitude; he's been through two years of injury hell. He will play in NFL. I hope it's with the Packers but the talent amongst the LBs, this season, are similar to the Pack talent on DL last training camp - loaded with guys that can play. :pack:

Noodle
08-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Holy crap, Hodge had a solid pre-season outing? Stop the presses!

The only way he starts is if he gains 50 pounds and goes from LB to DL.

Sef0r
08-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Hodge can run and make a tackle....BUT....not when blocked.
He was horrible at avoiding a block. When he rushed, he ran straight to the lineman and gave a little bump and just sort of tried half arsed to push his way through.

Rouse = Starter, no which way about it. There is no perhaps, he reads and reacts a lot faster then Collins and oh yeah...he can catch the ball. Collins tried to get himself an interception by diving at a ball that was coming fast and dropping in front of him. Why didn't he try to, since he got his ONE hand to it, try to knock it up for our other defenders to try and catch it?

mission
08-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Hodge can run and make a tackle....BUT....not when blocked.
He was horrible at avoiding a block. When he rushed, he ran straight to the lineman and gave a little bump and just sort of tried half arsed to push his way through.

Rouse = Starter, no which way about it. There is no perhaps, he reads and reacts a lot faster then Collins and oh yeah...he can catch the ball. Collins tried to get himself an interception by diving at a ball that was coming fast and dropping in front of him. Why didn't he try to, since he got his ONE hand to it, try to knock it up for our other defenders to try and catch it?

Rouse is making it hard for MM to ignore his straight up productivity. If we can lay down the law with Favre, we should be able to push Collins back to the sideline for a greater portion of the game.

It needs to be done already. Fuck due process. It's obvious.

EDIT - oh, and please dont say "arsed" again. this is the NFL, buddy... ;-)

mraynrand
08-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Rouse should be starting. Collins didn't show much tonight, and got burned badly at least once.

They tried Collins (AGAIN, *sigh*) in man coverage and it was brutal. Maybe they were just testing TO BE SURE, but hey, Packer coaches, FYI: Collins cannot cover in man. He can't do it. Not even TEs, certainly not WRs. Maybe a QB or a lineman on a gadget play.

mission
08-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Maybe a QB or a lineman on a gadget play.

:lol: :lol:

Sef0r
08-12-2008, 09:34 PM

Half ASS-d..... :-P

digitaldean
08-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Rouse, yes he should eventually start. The project that is known as Nick Collins has run aground. Nick can be a reserve but not a starter.

Hodge... don't get me wrong. Considering what he's battled back from, he's got kudos from me. That being said, I think he is still a tad behind Brady.

If someone gets injured, he may get the call anyway.

mission
08-12-2008, 09:40 PM

Half ASS-d..... :-P

Theeeeeeere weee go :glug:

texaspackerbacker
08-13-2008, 01:44 AM
I was impressed with Hodge too--after thinking and writing that he stunk it up in the past. He's nowhere close to being a starter, though. Popinga seemed to do a good job in the brief time he was in there.

Based on the first game and what I've read, I'd like to see Chillar cut along with probably White, and Bishop and Hodge kept.

Rouse certainly does seem superior to Collins. Starting him over Collins must be under consideration. Otherwise, why would they be trying out Collins at Corner.

mraynrand
08-13-2008, 07:13 AM
I was impressed with Hodge too--after thinking and writing that he stunk it up in the past. He's nowhere close to being a starter, though. Popinga seemed to do a good job in the brief time he was in there.

Based on the first game and what I've read, I'd like to see Chillar cut along with probably White, and Bishop and Hodge kept.

Rouse certainly does seem superior to Collins. Starting him over Collins must be under consideration. Otherwise, why would they be trying out Collins at Corner.

They weren't trying him at corner. They just had him lined up in man coverage from his safety spot. And he sucks at it.

texaspackerbacker
08-13-2008, 10:06 AM
He was lined up outside and on the line of scrimmage a few times. Also, it has been reported that he played at Corner in practice, although not very well.

packers11
08-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I'd like to see how Hodge does covering (A big part of MLB play in our system)...

I've seen enough out of Rouse, this kid can play...

I also want to see more playing time out of Bishop and Chillar... I don't think Chillar should just earn a spot because he was the only free agent, he should have to earn it.

Tarlam!
08-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Based on the first game and what I've read, I'd like to see Chillar cut ...

I also want to see more playing time out of (...)Chillar... I don't think Chillar should just earn a spot because he was the only free agent, he should have to earn it.

Wow, no love for Chillar. I didn't think he played that well either.... But I'm not sure I'd say we should cut him!

pittstang5
08-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Count me in on the Rouse bandwagon.

Rouse is a playmaker and deserves a shot to start. I hope he starts againt the 49ers.

imscott72
08-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Rouse? Perhaps.
Hodge? Not a chance in hell.

I don't think either one will end up starting, but we'll see..I don't think Hodge will even make the team..He'll either get traded or injured..