PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Jolly

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2008, 11:59 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080809/PKR01/80809052

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I am more confused than ever by Jolly's situation and status.

The fact that the codiene was in the form of cough medicine is worse than pain-killing pills. I thought he might have been using it for medical purposes, even if illegally. I assume the syrup was in large quantities, or this wouldn't have been an issue.

I find it weird that he is allowed to keep playing, in light of the league's extreme sensitivity to drug use. I understand the "innocent until proven guilty" concept, but would a player caught with pounds of heroin in the trunk of his car be allowed to play, pending trial? I kinda doubt it.

Jolly is critical to the Packers 2008 chances, and that article makes it sound like they have a good shot of having his services. Yet it all seems so strange.

Pacopete4
08-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Jolly is an idiot... seemed to be a player to be turning the corner and becoming a very, very good DT in this league but wow... what an idiot

boiga
08-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Jolly's case is very minor. He was caught with an unknown amount of codeine mixed in with Dr Pepper in his car with three other passengers. One of the guys in the car had a bag of pot on his body and was charged for that as well.

The thing is that "lean" has become extremely popular social drug in the Houston area lately, so the DA probably was trying to take a harsh line on the guy. Jolly will probably get off though. He can simply argue that his friend with the pot brought the Dr. Pepper bottle in with him and he didn't realize it was lean.

That's enough to get him off. Jolly's agent is a criminal defense lawyer and said something to the effect of how it was as important for an NFL player to choose his friends wisely as it was to behave properly. He's throwing the pot head under the bus and should be fine for the season..

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Jolly's case is very minor. He was caught with an unknown amount of codeine mixed in with Dr Pepper in his car with three other passengers. One of the guys in the car had a bag of pot on his body and was charged for that as well.

OK, thanks for this detail. Damn, the story sounds completely different every time I hear more information. I assumed it was a large quantity of cough medicine which was clearly Jolly's property.

This does sound very minor.

The Gunshooter
08-12-2008, 12:24 AM
The police like to lie their a$$es off to make everything sound like a major drug bust. If they caught someone with some pot brownies they would call it 2lbs of marijuana instead of 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of oil, 4 cups of brownie mix, 1/2 cup of water and some small amount of pot. Hell they would weigh the baking dish too.

I do not promote drinking and drug use for everyone even though it works for me but how do we know what happened?

boiga
08-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Yeah, they keep misreporting it in the media. All the reporters keep saying that he was caught with "200g of Codeine" When he was really caught with 200 g of Dr. Pepper with some codeine in it (ie a 16 oz bottle.)

That's a huge difference.

Pacopete4
08-12-2008, 12:27 AM
If Jolly does get in trouble.. what are the odds a Gravedigger story arises about him wanting to play again?

Guiness
08-12-2008, 12:49 AM
The police like to lie their a$$es off to make everything sound like a major drug bust. If they caught someone with some pot brownies they would call it 2lbs of marijuana instead of 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of oil, 4 cups of brownie mix, 1/2 cup of water and some small amount of pot. Hell they would weigh the baking dish too.

I do not promote drinking and drug use for everyone even though it works for me but how do we know what happened?

you get a BOMNF for that!

The Gunshooter
08-12-2008, 12:51 AM

you get a BOMNF for that!

I was hoping to get a brownie.

mission
08-12-2008, 02:56 AM
Cops *do* lie about their "busts" ... trust me.

Second, Matt Jones for Jax got caught cuttin and sniffin lines in his car and just plead "not guilty" (ya, um, that wasnt my coke?) ... he played last night. they gotta wait until it all folds out before making a move unless the team decides to take action before the league.

pbmax
08-12-2008, 07:04 AM
The League's Personal Conduct Policy does not depend on a finding of guilty in a court of law. Goodell has suspended players well before their day in court. So Jolly is not safe until the end of his trial necessarily.

But as this is the first brush with the policy he and Jones may get the benefit of the doubt this time.

hoosier
08-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Jolly's agent is a criminal defense lawyer and said something to the effect of how it was as important for an NFL player to choose his friends wisely as it was to behave properly. He's throwing the pot head under the bus and should be fine for the season..

Now that's someone who was thinking ahead when he got drafted. :lol:

Patler
08-12-2008, 09:11 AM
The League's Personal Conduct Policy does not depend on a finding of guilty in a court of law. Goodell has suspended players well before their day in court. So Jolly is not safe until the end of his trial necessarily.

But as this is the first brush with the policy he and Jones may get the benefit of the doubt this time.

An article over the weekend made the following points:

-Under the new policy the commish can and has suspended players before trial.
-The commish has never suspended a "first offender" before trial.
-Jolly is a first offender.
-If it goes to trial, it won't likely happen until after the season.
-Unlikely Jolly would be suspended until 2009, if at all.
-This was a small enough matter that treatment and testing might be all he gets.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 11:11 AM
from the recent information, I have no reason to believe Jolly has a drug problem.

javqa
08-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Jolly's case is very minor. He was caught with an unknown amount of codeine mixed in with Dr Pepper in his car.

I wonder were he got that idea?

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Jolly's case is very minor. He was caught with an unknown amount of codeine mixed in with Dr Pepper in his car.

I wonder were he got that idea?

if our field reporter, Boiga, can be trusted, it was his friend in the back seat who was mixing a tonic.

boiga
08-12-2008, 11:58 AM
if our field reporter, Boiga, can be trusted, it was his friend in the back seat who was mixing a tonic.Not necessarily. Jolly does need better friends though.

Here are the relevant details:

Texas prosecutors do not plan to seek charges that Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Johnny Jolly intended to sell codeine syrup after he was caught with a soda bottle of the prescription pain reliever.

The amount of codeine syrup seized – more than 200 grams but less than 400 grams – was considered personal use, said Donna Hawkins, assistant district attorney for Harris County.

The drug was found in a Dr Pepper soda bottle in a cupholder in Jolly’s vehicle, she said. That would be between 7 ounces and 14 ounces. http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080717/PKR01/80717086/1058

Officers of a specialized unit were patrolling the parking lot of a nightclub known for narcotics and weapons violations when they approached Jolly's vehicle at 1:10 a.m. July 8 on Houston's near north side.

Police heard loud music coming from the vehicle and saw four people inside.

When asked if there were weapons inside, the driver said yes. Police found a semi-automatic pistol on the floorboards. A 21-year-old man was charged with misdemeanor unlawful carrying of a weapon. Police detected the odor of codeine and found a couple of cups of codeine inside the vehicle.

During a search, police found a bag of marijuana on a 22-year-old man, who was charged with misdemeanor possessing marijuana. A fourth person was released and not charged. http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080716/APC0101/80716089

Jolly paid his $10,000 bond on July 8 and has been ordered to submit to weekly, random urinalyses for drug monitoring and has been given a curfew of 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080723/GPG0101/807230693/1207/GPG01
And here's the article where his agent expresses seemingly justified optimism: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080809/PKR01/80809052/1058

mraynrand
08-12-2008, 11:59 AM

OK, thanks for this detail. Damn, the story sounds completely different every time I hear more information. I assumed it was a large quantity of cough medicine which was clearly Jolly's property.

This does sound very minor.

What if it was Hibernol?

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/images/video_thumbs/2508.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 12:01 PM

I'm changing my opinion. I think Jolly should be suspended for this. I hate fuckers who blast everybody out for two blocks.

javqa
08-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Here are the relevant details:

Officers of a specialized unit were patrolling the parking lot of a nightclub known for narcotics and weapons violations when they approached Jolly's vehicle at 1:10 a.m. July 8 on Houston's near north side.

When asked if there were weapons inside, the driver said yes. Police found a semi-automatic pistol on the floorboards. A 21-year-old man was charged with misdemeanor unlawful carrying of a weapon. Police detected the odor of codeine and found a couple of cups of codeine inside the vehicle.

During a search, police found a bag of marijuana on a 22-year-old man, who was charged with misdemeanor possessing marijuana. A fourth person was released and not charged. http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080716/APC0101/80716089

A firearm too, eh? Don't like that at all - it bothers me more than the codeine, to say the truth. It's fortunate for him that someone else got tagged for that one, because Godell would've almost certainly sat him down for that, and would not have waited until the trial.

Police detected the odor of codeine and found a couple of cups of codeine inside the vehicle.

The odor of codeine? wtf is that? Anything like the 'scent of a woman'?

billy_oliver880
08-12-2008, 12:11 PM
So what gave the police the right to search the vehicle? I would call this an illegal search.

boiga
08-12-2008, 12:12 PM
A firearm too, eh? Don't like that at all - it bothers me more than the codeine, to say the truth. It's fortunate for him that someone else got tagged for that one, because Godell would've almost certainly sat him down for that, and would not have waited until the trial.

Police detected the odor of codeine and found a couple of cups of codeine inside the vehicle.

The odor of codeine? wtf is that? Anything like the 'scent of a woman'?Yeah, the gun part worries me more too... but it's texas, so gun crimes don't matter. Also, considering that the police report mentions cups while the prosecutor only mentions the soda bottle, I'd argue that the "odor of codeine" bit is a bunch of bunkum cooked up by the police officers to justify searching the vehicle and the guys' bodies.

So what gave the police the right to search the vehicle? I would call this an illegal search.
They admitted to having a gun in the car, so that would be probably cause enough. Still, I'm glad they admitted it or that firearm charge could have been a lot more severe.

billy_oliver880
08-12-2008, 12:45 PM
They admitted to having a gun in the car, so that would be probably cause enough. Still, I'm glad they admitted it or that firearm charge could have been a lot more severe.

They didn't have to admit anything. There was no cause for a search or to even bother these guys.

Patler
08-12-2008, 01:30 PM

The admitted presence of a firearm in the vehicle. They are allowed to search for their own protection.

Patler
08-12-2008, 01:37 PM

They didn't have to admit anything. There was no cause for a search or to even bother these guys.

When asked, you can't lie or you are in even more trouble if they find it.

Specialized task force cleaning up an area of known trouble. Nothing wrong with approaching the car where it was and the circumstances involved. It all builds from there, asking questions, observing etc. Upon approach they may not have had the right to search, but by the time they searched it they probably did.

billy_oliver880
08-12-2008, 02:50 PM

When asked, you can't lie or you are in even more trouble if they find it.

Specialized task force cleaning up an area of known trouble. Nothing wrong with approaching the car where it was and the circumstances involved. It all builds from there, asking questions, observing etc. Upon approach they may not have had the right to search, but by the time they searched it they probably did.

Ya I can see that. Doesn't seem like they should have been poking around in this vehicle but it turned out there was a reason. Lets hope for Jolly's sake that someone else takes the fall.

pbmax
08-12-2008, 03:24 PM
What term would you use for taking codeine as though it was a Dr. Pepper?

I doubt he was treating a nagging injury at 1:00 AM by drinking out of a Dr. Pepper bottle.

from the recent information, I have no reason to believe Jolly has a drug problem.

The Gunshooter
08-12-2008, 07:46 PM

The following is for entertainment puposes only.

Blaring music at 1 am on top of driving dirty is like advertising for trouble. What are the police to do, allow their alleged authority to be challenged?:?:

Throw the keys down on the floor, lock it and step out of the vehicle and shut up. Let them call for a drug dog or get a warrant. :idea:

mission
08-12-2008, 07:52 PM

Blaring music at 1 am on top of driving dirty is like advertising for trouble. What are the police to do, allow their alleged authority to be challenged?:?:

Throw the keys down on the floor, lock it and step out of the vehicle and shut up. Let them call for a drug dog or get a warrant. :idea:

Lol so lock your keys in the car? Have you ever been in this situation yourself? I question its effectiveness, but if you've pulled this off by some strange loophole, im curious to know how ...

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 08:27 PM

I doubt he was treating a nagging injury at 1:00 AM by drinking out of a Dr. Pepper bottle.

was he the one drinking the magic elixer?

The Gunshooter
08-12-2008, 08:27 PM

Lol so lock your keys in the car? Have you ever been in this situation yourself? I question its effectiveness, but if you've pulled this off by some strange loophole, im curious to know how ...

I am one of the people of Wisconsin. I am not a citizen or a resident. I am an heir to the sovereignty of King George III that devolved on the people of the United States at the revolution. I ordained and established the government. I know the police are my servants in their official capacity. My rights are what I say they are as long as 100% of 12 of my peers don't disagree.

The police must have probable cause, a warrant or permission to search, no? How are they going to get that if you don't give it to them and respectfully refuse to answer questions? How can they say they smelled something if the window is rolled up and there is nothing incriminating in plain sight? "Your honor, I smelled _____ on his breath so I jimmied his lock and found xyz."

I am not advocated criminal behavior in any shape or form. I would like to see everyone defend their God given rights, screw the privileges.

Bossman641
08-12-2008, 08:29 PM

I don't know whether Jolly has a major drug problem, but like someone else said "leaning" is really popular in Houston. He needs to get that straightened out if it is a problem though cause it can kill you.

falco
08-12-2008, 08:29 PM
johnny jolly is a BEAST

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 09:01 PM
I don't know whether Jolly has a major drug problem, but like someone else said "leaning" is really popular in Houston. He needs to get that straightened out if it is a problem though cause it can kill you.

I don't know that he himself was sipping the pepper.

VegasPackFan
08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
The only penalty that will be handed down is that all Dr Pepper products will be banned from the Packer's sidelines.

mission
08-12-2008, 09:15 PM

I don't know that he himself was sipping the pepper.

i hope not. most of you know ive done plenty of experimenting but "dat lean" is just somethin im not curious about at all ... there are too many shitty white tees in the hood with a face screen printed on it and "RIP" underneath the picture that weren't caused from gun shots. dangerous shit.

Freak Out
08-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Just once I'd like to see two NFL teams play a game on LSD.

mission
08-12-2008, 09:21 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

flashbacks... :lol:

pbmax
08-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Don't know for certain. Four people in the car (Jolly, bag man, gun dude and lucky guy not charged) and multiple cups of codeine. Jolly gets the codeine charge. I don't like the odds. Might have been in his cup holder?

Believe is perhaps the wrong word. How about suspect he has a drug problem?

was he the one drinking the magic elixer?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-12-2008, 09:23 PM

Mite not be able to tell the diff...we already saw Ellis pitch a no hitter.

boiga
08-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Don't know for certain. Four people in the car (Jolly, bag man, gun dude and lucky guy not charged) and multiple cups of codeine. Jolly gets the codeine charge. I don't like the odds. Might have been in his cup holder?

Believe is perhaps the wrong word. How about suspect he has a drug problem? I don't put much credibility to the "cups" aspect of the police report. He's only being prosecuted for the soda bottle, so those cups were either empty or not there.

It sounds more like he was acting like an idiot. He's probably not an addict, but he should know better than to let that crap in his car. Hopefully he'll have learned from it.

i hope not. most of you know ive done plenty of experimenting but "dat lean" is just somethin im not curious about at all ... there are too many shitty white tees in the hood with a face screen printed on it and "RIP" underneath the picture that weren't caused from gun shots. dangerous shit.The major danger is when it is mixed with alcohol or other depressants. Codeine by it self likely won't kill you in normal doses. It's addictive of course, but it won't kill you.

However, mix that with liquor or a sleeping pill and you can turn off your heartbeat or get your brain to shut down into a coma-like state.

mission
08-12-2008, 09:47 PM

Believe is perhaps the wrong word. How about suspect he has a drug problem? I don't put much credibility to the "cups" aspect of the police report. He's only being prosecuted for the soda bottle, so those cups were either empty or not there.

It sounds more like he was acting like an idiot. He's probably not an addict, but he should know better than to let that crap in his car. Hopefully he'll have learned from it.

i hope not. most of you know ive done plenty of experimenting but "dat lean" is just somethin im not curious about at all ... there are too many shitty white tees in the hood with a face screen printed on it and "RIP" underneath the picture that weren't caused from gun shots. dangerous shit.The major danger is when it is mixed with alcohol or other depressants. Codeine by it self likely won't kill you in normal doses. It's addictive of course, but it won't kill you.

However, mix that with liquor or a sleeping pill and you can turn off your heartbeat or get your brain to shut down into a coma-like state.

sounds exciting. :alc:

Fritz
08-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Okay, so "leaning" is drinking Dr. Pepper mixed with cough syrup? That sounds like shit. Ugh.

And so you're mixing sugar with downers?? Double ugh.

It sounds like it would make you throw up (cough syrup is just nasty), then you'd be dead tired but you wouldn't be able to sleep cuz you'd be shaky from the sugar. That doesn't sound remotely interesting to do.

mission
08-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Okay, so "leaning" is drinking Dr. Pepper mixed with cough syrup? That sounds like shit. Ugh.

It sounds like it would make you throw up (cough syrup is just nasty), then you'd be dead tired but you wouldn't be able to sleep cuz you'd be shaky from the sugar. That doesn't sound remotely interesting to do.

well, liquid codeine versus just plain off the shelf cough syrup.

more intense effects of the downer from my understanding

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 10:09 PM

actually, this was just off-the-shelf cough syrup.

pbmax
08-12-2008, 10:11 PM
OK, forget about cups then. One Dr. Pepper bottle with codeine. Four people in car, one that we know of charged with possession of the codeine. Even worse odds.

Do we have a detailed report from Houston someone can link to? I searched the Houston Chronicle and came up with less than the Post Crescent and Press Gazette.

mission
08-12-2008, 10:13 PM

actually, this was just off-the-shelf cough syrup.

ah, my bad then

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Teenagers used to get high by sniffing gasoline, some stations stopped selling to people filling containers. Probably too pricey now, go with the cough syrup.

mraynrand
08-12-2008, 10:16 PM
If I read this correctly, only one of four guys in the car didn't get charged with some sort of misdemeanor. He must feel left out. Maybe someone could slip him a bottle of spray paint or a CO2 canister.

mission
08-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Teenagers used to get high by sniffing gasoline, some stations stopped selling to people filling containers. Probably too pricey now, go with the cough syrup.

my first algebra teacher (this guy was ancient) said teens back in his day used to go hardcore and inject gasoline straight in between the toes... he's was the kind of guy that didnt make shit up.

he taught algebra for 300 years ...

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 10:21 PM
i gotta try it.

mraynrand
08-12-2008, 10:25 PM
just avoid doing it around the campfire.

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/JimZimsFeet-2ndDegreeBurns-May23-2005.jpg

mission
08-12-2008, 10:27 PM
just avoid doing it around the campfire.

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/JimZimsFeet-2ndDegreeBurns-May23-2005.jpg

W

T

F

Tyrone Bigguns
08-12-2008, 10:28 PM

my first algebra teacher (this guy was ancient) said teens back in his day used to go hardcore and inject gasoline straight in between the toes... he's was the kind of guy that didnt make shit up.

I don't buy that at all.

Hard enough just to get needles now a days..think back then...no way.

mission
08-12-2008, 10:30 PM

I don't buy that at all.

Hard enough just to get needles now a days..think back then...no way.

I didnt either.

But your reasoning ... I dunno... Hospitals? It's not like there was any public education at that point about drug use. No one was lockin shit up. Hell, didn't GNC used to sell MDMA or somethin? lol

Bossman641
08-12-2008, 10:46 PM

Well, "leaning" is drinking cough syrup, I think it's normally mixed with Sprite or 7 Up, but anything would work.

I have some friends who tried it one time. It was strange.

Zool
08-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Getting needles is as hard as finding someone with diabetes and asking them to buy a gross.