PDA

View Full Version : Jordy

Partial
08-12-2008, 08:08 AM
What did everybody think about him?

Lurker64
08-12-2008, 08:10 AM
He looked good in what little we saw of him, he can definitely run with the ball and he has a knack as a returner. We didn't go four wides with the #1s very much, so we didn't see much of him against the #1 defense and the #2 and #3 offense didn't really do that well.

The Leaper
08-12-2008, 08:11 AM
He's solid...good hands, good size, good speed. Give him a year or two, and there is no reason to think he can't be as good as Jennings.

He's not going to put up the numbers Jennings or Jones did as rookies though...the WR position is just too deep.

MadtownPacker
08-12-2008, 09:30 AM
He is white.

Pacopete4
08-12-2008, 09:32 AM
He is white.

so?......

DonHutson
08-12-2008, 02:16 PM
He seems to be trailing Jones and Martin for playing time. We probably won't see much of him this year. Unless he wins the PR job he might not even be active on game days.

Should be good down the road though. He's more talented than Martin and he should be more consistent than Jones.

sheepshead
08-12-2008, 02:29 PM
He is white.

Think Steve Largent.

K-town
08-12-2008, 02:32 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of Joe Jerevicious (Spellling?) or Easy Ed McCaffrey.
I'd be happy if his career production matched either of those guys.

Packers4Ever
08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of Joe Jerevicious (Spellling?) or Easy Ed McCaffrey.

For what I saw of him, I thought he looked great, good find !!

Little Whiskey
08-12-2008, 04:09 PM

bill schroeder? just kidding :D

CaliforniaCheez
08-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Jennings was more impressive as a rookie.

So was Jones.

Jordy is still learning.

He is the #5 receiver (game day inactive, no return duties)

He has some work to do to catch and pass Ruvell Martin.

sheepshead
08-12-2008, 05:25 PM
jurevicius is a good call, id take that!

falco
08-12-2008, 05:26 PM
we can only hope that jordy becomes the next don beebe (who has filled art monk shoes as the person most belonging to go in the hall of fame but who keeps getting overlooked)

Tyrone Bigguns
08-12-2008, 08:03 PM
we can only hope that jordy becomes the next don beebe (who has filled art monk shoes as the person most belonging to go in the hall of fame but who keeps getting overlooked)

I think you are confusing your white guys. I think you meant Steve Tasker.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Jordy reminds me more of this guy:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6591

mission
08-12-2008, 08:20 PM

yeah, don beebe?

good guy and all im sure but definitely not the hall of fame ... and even more definitely not even close to qualifying to be allowed in the same sentences as art monk.

falco
08-12-2008, 08:22 PM

yeah, don beebe?

good guy and all im sure but definitely not the hall of fame ... and even more definitely not even close to qualifying to be allowed in the same sentences as art monk.

6 superbowl appearances

nuff said

Tyrone Bigguns
08-12-2008, 08:38 PM

yeah, don beebe?

6 superbowl appearances

nuff said

So what. Not one pro bowl. 9 seasons played. 219 receptions, 3500 yards, 23 touchdowns. :oops:

Being the 3-5th receiver on a team doesn't qualify you for the HOF.

Are you now going to extol the virtues of mike lodish? :lol:

falco
08-12-2008, 08:42 PM

yeah, don beebe?

6 superbowl appearances

nuff said

So what. Not one pro bowl. 9 seasons played. 219 receptions, 3500 yards, 23 touchdowns. :oops:

Being the 3-5th receiver on a team doesn't qualify you for the HOF.

Are you now going to extol the virtues of mike lodish? :lol:

stats don't tell it all - beebe frequently drew double and triple coverages, allowing his teams passing game to flourish

Tyrone Bigguns
08-12-2008, 08:44 PM
stats don't tell it all - beebe frequently drew double and triple coverages, allowing his teams passing game to flourish

Same for lodish..he really allowed Smith to make those sacks.

Both shoulda been first ballot HOF.

Bretsky
08-12-2008, 09:36 PM
He doesn't stand out at all so far....as a wise man like wist once said......at this point he looks like..........just a guy..........

I will reserve judgement for the future as it's way too soon.

Jones and Jennings looked better by now and this guy was drafted higher than both of them.

Lurker64
08-12-2008, 09:42 PM
But Bretsky, Jones and Jennings definitely had more opportunities to stand out by now than Nelson has. When Jennings was drafted we didn't have a good #2 WR behind Driver, so Jennings had the opportunity to start and play with the #1s. When Jones was drafted, Driver was hurt for most of the preseason, so Jones had the opportunity to start and play with the #1s. Currently Nelson is stuck behind a solid #1, #2, and #3 and Ruvell Martin (who has played on this team for three years now and has continued to improve) is coming on.

Nelson would need to be absolutely lights out to stand out at this point.

mission
08-12-2008, 09:44 PM
But Bretsky, Jones and Jennings definitely had more opportunities to stand out by now than Nelson has. When Jennings was drafted we didn't have a good #2 WR behind Driver, so Jennings had the opportunity to start and play with the #1s. When Jones was drafted, Driver was hurt for most of the preseason, so Jones had the opportunity to start and play with the #1s. Currently Nelson is stuck behind a solid #1, #2, and #3 and Ruvell Martin (who has played on this team for three years now and has continued to improve) is coming on.

The Voice of Reason.

Our WRs have NEVER been this electrifying IMO ... a big factor in my belief in Rodgers' succeeding.

Bretsky
08-12-2008, 09:48 PM

All Great points Lurker

But a few more to ponder

When Jennings got here from day one the coaches ranted and raved about his route running skills and how he cut off routes so well. It's what makes him our #1 WR now and our best end zone threat.

When Jones got here they ranted and raved about his strength and pass catching ability and his power.

I just haven't heard much else but he's doing alright so far.

And to be honest I expected him to beat out Ruvell Martin and if he's not capable of that by season's end I'll be disappointed

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2008, 09:52 PM
He doesn't stand out at all so far....as a wise man like wist once said......at this point he looks like..........just a guy..........

I will reserve judgement for the future as it's way too soon.

Jones and Jennings looked better by now and this guy was drafted higher than both of them.

Jennings absolutely stood out right away. I didn't think Jones looked spectacular, but I thought he looked like he could play right away. Nelson looks relatively similar.

texaspackerbacker
08-13-2008, 01:32 AM

Is Lance Alworth too much to hope for?

I don't remember Jennings looking all that great early on .... or Jones either.

Guiness
08-13-2008, 01:49 AM
Jennings was more impressive as a rookie.

So was Jones.

Jordy is still learning.

He is the #5 receiver (game day inactive, no return duties)

He has some work to do to catch and pass Ruvell Martin.

Don't know how you can say Jennings was more impressive as a rookie. A couple of things come to mind...

There's been one preseason game - what are you judging on?

I know we heard a lot about how good Jennings was in camp - but there's been this other issue that's been dominating the news. You may have heard of it? We have a new quarterback!

Thirdly, and most importantly, I don't think we'll ever know if Nelson is/could be as good as Jennings was. First off, we didn't have a clear cut #2 Jenning's rookie year, so he was given the chance when he showed some promise. I guarantee you that short of an injury (or two) Nelson's not starting this year.

CaliforniaCheez
08-13-2008, 02:07 AM
Family Night, the game, and what is being said about his practices compared to those of Jennings and Jones.

He may become a good receiver and I don't have anything negative to say about him. I just think Jennings and Jones just were better initially and were turning heads more.

Maybe he can move up to #4 next year. It is more about the other Packer receivers being so good than anything Jordy hasn't done.

mmmdk
08-13-2008, 02:42 AM
I remember the talk of Jennings; he looked good but there were red flags about his durability.

Nelson will probably be the # 5 WR and that just speaks volumes about the devellopment of Ruvell Martin. I don't see how that would make Nelson a disappointment. Packers have awesome receivers; that's what one should read into this.

Tarlam!
08-13-2008, 02:52 AM
What Michael said. Additionally, I praise TT for getting us the depth at the position we have and in the short time span.

Go back and think if T-Murph didn't have that medical condition. I acknowledge he only flashed, but the talk was TT found a diamond with that pick, too, at the time.

CaliforniaCheez
08-13-2008, 02:57 AM
If you are a negative type about Ted Thompson you could see signs that Donald Driver may be forced out soon.

Donald isn't a Ted Thompson guy.

Just stirring the pot a bit.

Tarlam!
08-13-2008, 03:02 AM
If you are a negative type about Ted Thompson you could see signs that Donald Driver may be forced out soon.

I don't think DD likes TT too much, either, Cheez.

If DD drops too many balls (like the first one he dropped Monday night) in comparison to catching his share and making YAC like he always has done sofar, DD needs to be more concerned with M3 than TT.

But, having DD in the huddle takes off pressure from A-Rod. TT has gotta love that aspect.

run pMc
08-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Could be that in recent years past there was a lot of handwringing over who else would line up with DD at the WR spot and thus was more closely watched. The WR group is improved in terms of depth and talent vs. 2 years ago IMO. I think Jordy will be fine and an is an upgrade over retreads like Antonio Chatman.

I haven't heard/read much about Jordy, but the Favre drama has overshadowed camp. All I've heard is that the coaches are pleased with him and he's coming along well for a rookie. With the group in front of him, he doesn't have to be a superstar from Day 1, so I'm OK with that. I see him as a pick that pays dividends in the future...a major contribution from him this year would be gravy.

I'd be much more concerned if I was reading "he needs to pick it up" quotes from coaches.

FWIW I've heard mostly positive things about Swain as well (perhaps I'm not getting the whole story there), but I think he's destined for the PS.

Deputy Nutz
08-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Nelson makes the active roster on game days. The Packers kept 5 receivers active for the most part last year and they weren't nearly as strong. Nelson>Robinson.

Anyways, There is just more depth there than with Jennings and Jones. That speaks to the development of Martin, the guy is just one of those players that scraps to make rosters but then turns into a career veteran.

Martin might be special, but special only as special as a 4th wide out can be. He could at least fill in as a starter at this point if injuries happened. Something you couldn't say about him one or two years ago.

cpk1994
08-13-2008, 09:50 AM

I don't think DD likes TT too much, either, Cheez.

If DD drops too many balls (like the first one he dropped Monday night) in comparison to catching his share and making YAC like he always has done sofar, DD needs to be more concerned with M3 than TT.

But, having DD in the huddle takes off pressure from A-Rod. TT has gotta love that aspect.I guess that big payday Donald got from TT means nothing then. :roll:

texaspackerbacker
08-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Driver is a team player and great attitude guy He'll stay for this year, for sure. Next season might not be so clear cut with all this young talent.

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2008, 10:02 AM
I guess that big payday Donald got from TT means nothing then. :roll:

Two big paydays. Thompson has reworked Driver's contract twice in 4 years.

LL2
08-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Jordy will be White Flash handling the punt returns.

packers11
08-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Jordy will be White Flash handling the punt returns.

I think Blackmon might be doing that too...

I was reading the new JSO article on Blackmon and how he can make an impact this year on special teams.

Tarlam!
08-13-2008, 10:57 AM
I guess that big payday Donald got from TT means nothing then. :roll:

Two big paydays. Thompson has reworked Driver's contract twice in 4 years.

Ya, but I think DD is pissed over the Favre thing. At best, he's torn. It was always #80 that was heaved by #4, even when #80 did diddly squat on the play.

LL2
08-13-2008, 11:02 AM
When Jones got that TD looked like Rodgers was doing a Favre impression by running down the field. I’m glad Rodgers didn’t try to pick JJ up and throw his back out.

Fritz
08-13-2008, 01:04 PM

All Great points Lurker

But a few more to ponder

When Jennings got here from day one the coaches ranted and raved about his route running skills and how he cut off routes so well. It's what makes him our #1 WR now and our best end zone threat.

When Jones got here they ranted and raved about his strength and pass catching ability and his power.

I just haven't heard much else but he's doing alright so far.

And to be honest I expected him to beat out Ruvell Martin and if he's not capable of that by season's end I'll be disappointed

I'm kinda with ya, Bretsky. What I read in one training camp report is that Nelson has a hard time getting off the press coverage at the line of scrimmage, and he has speed but it's not quick speed - he has to get going.

Not good attributes, I'd say. Desmond Howard couldn't play receiver because he couldn't beat press coverage. Does Jordy Nelson have Howard's return skills?

Lurker64
08-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Keep in mind that Jordy isn't a finished product. In High School he was a QB and a DB, and he was a walk-on safety at Kansas State. He was converted to a WR in spring practice before his Sophomore year. After a couple years learning a position he had never played before he exploded catching 120 passes for 1600 yards. So if he doesn't have of the WR tricks in his bag, that's to be expected since this is only his fourth year playing the position, he's a rookie in the NFL, and the quality of DBs is much greater in the NFL than it is in college.

But the things that have characterized Jordy's college career more than anything are:
1) He is a very hard worker.
2) He is very driven to improve himself.

Give Jimmy Robinson an offseason with him and he'll be much better than he is now. It's understandable of that kid is a little starstruck right now, Green Bay is, after all, the largest city he's ever lived in.

Edit: Now, while a potential counterpoint is "Don't spend such a high draft pick on a guy who's not immediately ready to play at a high level" I certainly think our depth at WR will buy us a year or two to groom any new promising WRs we have before they're expected to set the world on fire.

SnakeLH2006
08-14-2008, 03:12 AM
He is white.

Think Steve Largent.

.........with speed.