PDA

View Full Version : Winners and Wieners from the Cinci Game

Fritz
08-12-2008, 08:21 AM
I didn't see the whole thing, but from what I did watch I thought Rodgers, Jackson, James Jones, Abdul Hodge, Tramon Williams were some of the winners. Not all - just the ones that stood out. I didn't see the line play closely enough to say.

The wienrs? Jon Ryan - WTF dude?? - Chris Francies (I hope he's keeping his bags packed), Alfred Malone (for the surprise of camp, he sucked last night I thought), and Connie Bolston.

What do people think?

Lurker64
08-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Excepting the one fumble, I thought Lumpkin was solid. I want to see more of this kid. The #3 RB spot is wide open, and he is a big powerful runner. Probably a PS candidate, but we might very much like what we see from this kid in a year or two. Apparently he was only undrafted because he was hurt his last year in college and he played for Georgia who had a myriad of talented backs so his opportunities were limited anyway.

Fritz
08-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Lurker, I think his name is holding him back. That's just not a name you want if you're a running back.

MadScientist
08-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Lurker, I think his name is holding him back. That's just not a name you want if you're a running back.
Having a bad name, is a good thing for a football player. If a kid grows up with a bad name, he will either go invisible, or beat the crap out of other kids who make fun of him. Lumpkin looks like the latter.

Besides, we need a RB that delivers lumps.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Jackson made two nice runs, but I wasn't quite as impressed as others. He is still indecisive at the line of scrimmage, and that worries me. Grant gets out hard, one cuts, and he's gone. Jackson dances too much still, and he looks like he still needs to work on pass protection.

Pacopete4
08-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Jackson also looks small... I can't see him rushing 25 times a game for some reason...

Chevelle2
08-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Id would also like to see more of Lumpkin.

]{ilr]3
08-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Jackson made two nice runs, but I wasn't quite as impressed as others. He is still indecisive at the line of scrimmage, and that worries me. Grant gets out hard, one cuts, and he's gone. Jackson dances too much still, and he looks like he still needs to work on pass protection.

I think Jackson was mostly responsible for 1 or both of Rodgers Sacs

oregonpackfan
08-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Jackson also looks small... I can't see him rushing 25 times a game for some reason...

Barry Sanders also "looked small" but was one of the greatest runners of all time.

Walter Payton was another "small" runner who become of the greatest running backs.

billy_oliver880
08-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Lumpkin impressed me with his hard running. Seems to have good vision too. Brohm looked very nervous.

PA Pack Fan
08-12-2008, 11:11 AM

Barry Sanders also "looked small" but was one of the greatest runners of all time.

Walter Payton was another "small" runner who become of the greatest running backs.
Walter Payton was small???

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 11:14 AM
BJ looks much, much better this season, I thought his running instincts were good, and he's got a little pop to him on contact now.

rbaloha1
08-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Winners

1. AR
2. brandon jackson
3. lumpkin
4. james jones
5. donald driver
6. sitton and barbee
7. tramon williams
8. hodge
9. rouse
10. ted thompson

Wieners

1. Packer fans unsupportive of AR

packers11
08-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Winners : Everyone except the two people in the wieners.

Wieners : Noah Herron. I hate watching him run, he will never be more than an average player.

Backup DT's : stupid penalty on 3rd down, and could not stop the run...

mraynrand
08-12-2008, 01:40 PM

Jackson turned his back to take on defenders at least twice that I saw. That's a bad sign for a RB turning it upfield.

pbmax
08-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Wieners: Cliff Cristl, despite lobbying hard, Antonio Chatman still has a job in the league as a number three.

Thought Malone was all over the board. Had a personal foul didn't he. Saw him get walked back by a double team once.

But also saw him dismantle a guard once in the run and once in pass rush. If he grows up, he might make it.

pbmax
08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah, he looked indifferent to running inside but he doesn't exactly shy away from contact. Not sure what that was about.

The pass blocking was strange as he was the go to guy at the end of last year and he looked like he had it figured out. Difficulty understanding Rodgers? In the paper he said he blew one himself and the other was a miscommunication.

If Grant is healthy though, I think we can live with these limitations as a backup.

Jackson turned his back to take on defenders at least twice that I saw. That's a bad sign for a RB turning it upfield.

Packers4Ever
08-12-2008, 04:11 PM

ROTFL ! :lol: Can't you just hear a sportscaster, TV or radio, trying to
describe a play without choking a little over it ?

pack4to84
08-12-2008, 05:04 PM
I thought Hunter had a good game with 5 tackles and a sack. He put on some muscle too. I saw him play DT a few times.

mission
08-12-2008, 05:17 PM

6'2" 200-ish pounds aint very big ... tall, but not big ... he ran way bigger.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-12-2008, 05:31 PM

6'2" 200-ish pounds aint very big ... tall, but not big ... he ran way bigger.

You are judging by today's standards.

Joe Cribbs was 190.

O.J. was 212.

Barry was 203.

Marcus allen was 210.

Payton was a decent sized back. About average.

big backs were 220-230. Hell, Riggo was only like 230. As was Franco.

texaspackerbacker
08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
I thought Hunter had a good game with 5 tackles and a sack. He put on some muscle too. I saw him play DT a few times.

Yeah, that's the first mention I've seen of this. If he can show enough strength against the run, he could really be a plus at DT.

I thought Flynn played with a lot of polish and good mobility. Brohm may have more potential, and IMO, wasn't all that bad either, but I really think Flynn could step in right now if needed.

I like Taj Smith better than Swain too.

It wouldn't hurt to watch the cut lists for a punter. Ryan was only average last season and less than that this game.

Fritz
08-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Where is the kid from Wisconsin, the punter? What was his name? Debauche?

I think they cut him reluctantly to make room for someone else.

I think it would be okay to cut Francies and bring this kid back.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Where is the kid from Wisconsin, the punter? What was his name? Debauche?

I think they cut him reluctantly to make room for someone else.

I think it would be okay to cut Francies and bring this kid back.

being a good college punter is quite different from being a good pro kicker.

Debauche wasn't even as good as Stemke..and Stemke couldn't even really make it.

mraynrand
08-13-2008, 04:15 PM

Yeah, that's the first mention I've seen of this. If he can show enough strength against the run, he could really be a plus at DT.

Dontcha think they'll use him mostly on pass rush downs? I have this sneaking suspicion that KGB is finished, and Hunter could possibly be the guy to take his spot.