PDA

View Full Version : Why is Willie Davis' #87 still available?

oregonpackfan
08-12-2008, 10:56 AM
When I watched the Packers-Bengals game last night, I was surprised to see WR Jordy Nelson wear #87. That Packers number was made famous by Hall of Fame Defensive End Will Davis.

I wondered, "Why in the world is that number still available?" Davis was one of the greatest Packers ever to play for Lombardi during the glory 60's years.

Just as important, Davis was a fine man off the field. After his football career, Davis has been a highly successful businessman and involved community leader. He is the consummate professional.

I certainly have nothing against Jordy Nelson or any future Packer who is assigned #87. It's just that I believe that number should be retired.

Go to the website below to see some of Davis' accomplishments as an NFL player.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=52

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Packers don't retire numbers easily. There are close to a dozen Hall of Fame players without their number retired. They've retired one number on offense and defense from each championship team (once Favre's number goes up).

sheepshead
08-12-2008, 11:15 AM
The only active number that i am aware that isnt given out is 5. Kind of an unwritten Packer thing.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2008, 11:25 AM
The only active number that i am aware that isnt given out is 5. Kind of an unwritten Packer thing.

3, 14, 15, 66, 92, and soon to be 4.

Although not officially retired, Earl "Curly" Lambeau is the only player in Packers history credited with wearing number 1. Paul Hornung's 5 hasn't been issued since 1988

Carolina_Packer
08-12-2008, 11:33 AM

Last guy I recall wearing number 5 for the Pack was Vince Ferragamo back in the 80's.

pacfan
08-12-2008, 11:43 AM

Last guy I recall wearing number 5 for the Pack was Vince Ferragamo back in the 80's.

I thought Majik has #5 for s short time before switching to #7

sheepshead
08-12-2008, 11:46 AM

3, 14, 15, 66, 92, and soon to be 4.

Although not officially retired, Earl "Curly" Lambeau is the only player in Packers history credited with wearing number 1. Paul Hornung's 5 hasn't been issued since 1988

dude those are retired. There was a time the equipment guy would not give out 5 in respect to Hornung. That may have changed .

DonHutson
08-12-2008, 02:18 PM
I thought Majik has #5 for s short time before switching to #7

That is true.

A retired number should be the ultimate honor a team can give. I like that the Packers do it so sparingly. Compare to the Bucks who have won one title in 40 years and their rafters are full of jerseys.

Pacopete4
08-12-2008, 02:19 PM
my question is why hasn't that # been retired?... I know its tough to get your number retired with the Pack, but he's certainly qualified

pbmax
08-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Maybe you need to sign a marketing contract? :lol:

Davis is a smart businessman and perhaps he thought he was being lowballed.

my question is why hasn't that # been retired?... I know its tough to get your number retired with the Pack, but he's certainly qualified