PDA

View Full Version : OTA's...BFD (Big Freakin' Deal) - an Article

woodbuck27
06-15-2006, 08:05 AM
OTA's...BFD (Big Freakin' Deal)

Written by Mark Beerman - PackerChatters Staff
Wednesday, 14 June 2006

Voluntary...the act of volunteering for something.

Organized Training Activities...a step below mini-camp, essentially glorified practices in shorts.

Mandatory...what these OTA's are definitely not.

What do these three things have in-common? They're the new buzz words around the league...essentially hype where none exists.

How do you get people to talk about football in June? Schedule 14 practices, glorify them as "essential" and create the attitude that anything voluntary is mandatory.

Listen, I have nothing against Mike McCarthy. He's just trying to get this ship on-course and get back to winning football games.

It is highly laughable that veterans such as Charles Woodson, Al Harris and Ryan Pickett should be condemned for missing a "voluntary" function.

Yeah, they're all key pieces to the Packers...no doubt about it. It's just that OTA's are voluntary and when a team has that, as stipulated in the collective bargaining agreement, it's up to each and every player whether they want to show up or not.

The condemnation comes as Woodson, Harris and Pickett should be here...100% attendence, the fans cry!

What are we missing? We're missing the point that there is a new and relatively unknown coaching staff in-place. That there has been rampant personnel turnover the past two years and a bunch of unfamiliar faces in GB uniforms. The expectation that a new coach can reign in everyone is a lofty one.

McCarthy isn't Bill Belichick, John Fox or even Marvin Lewis. There are going to be bumps in the roads and these OTA's are it. If McCarthy wants 100% attendence, he should expect that at the mandatory functions. It makes little to no sense to be mad at three players for exercising their freedom of choice.

If Woodson, Harris and Pickett are missing from mandatory meetings, then they should be crucifixed for that. ( I'm wondering if he intended a ? mark. . ??)

It's just amusing to see fellow fans get worked up over OTA's. Nothing is being decided by them and the practices are merely extra tutoring sessions.

If the "terrible three" don't show their 'A' or 'B' games in August, then most will complain.

I just don't have a problem with players exercising their freedom of choice when, essentially, they are going nowhere.

You don't say ! Comments anyone ? . . . woodbuck27

woodbuck27
06-15-2006, 08:10 AM
" To achieve success, whatever the job we have, we must pay a price for success. It's like anything worthwhile. It has a price. You have to pay the price to win and you have to pay the price to get to the point where success is possible. Most important, you must pay the price to stay there."

a quote - by Vince Lombardi

Enough said !

FritzDontBlitz
06-15-2006, 08:28 AM
they are still voluntary.

but hey at least gb isn't getting as ridiculous as chicago is: demoting two starters - rb thomas jones and lb lance briggs - because they chose not to participate in "voluntary" practices.

Partial
06-15-2006, 08:57 AM
for what its worth, there is no way lance briggs is not starting come september.

Rastak
06-15-2006, 09:10 AM
for what its worth, there is no way lance briggs is not starting come september.

Yea, that was symbolic for sure. I don't agree with the guy writing the article either. OTA's take on an added importance with a team deploying a new system with a new staff. Is it a make or break thing? Of course not. Maybe the media is overplaying it a bit but it's still important. It will accelerate development in my opinion. Give the guys a head start for when training camp begins. It's a plus but not the beat all end all. Who wouldn't want an edge going into training camp?

HarveyWallbangers
06-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Participation in the offseason program in Green Bay (e.g. players staying in town to work out at the team's HQs) is up under Mike McCarthy over what it has been in the past. Traditionally, you won't get a good turnout for these in Green Bay compared to other teams. There are a lot of southern (don't like the cold) and black (not much of a social life in GB) players on the team, so is it really a surprise? Didn't really seem to affect the Packers when they were going to Super Bowls, and it didn't really seem to affect Brett Favre for all of those years.

Deputy Nutz
06-15-2006, 11:32 AM
I agree with the article.

Harlan Huckleby
06-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Umm, I think it stinks that Pickett and Woodson aren't there at all, just becaue they are new and need to get familar with teammates.

But NONE of this will matter a hoot come training camp. We'll all forget about the OTA's in June.

Fritz
06-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Participation in the offseason program in Green Bay (e.g. players staying in town to work out at the team's HQs) is up under Mike McCarthy over what it has been in the past. Traditionally, you won't get a good turnout for these in Green Bay compared to other teams. There are a lot of southern (don't like the cold) and black (not much of a social life in GB) players on the team, so is it really a surprise? Didn't really seem to affect the Packers when they were going to Super Bowls, and it didn't really seem to affect Brett Favre for all of those years.

So if the dang city council would let Nick Barnett keep his bar/restaurant open maybe Woodson and Pickett would show up! Unless they're southern guys (Woodson isn't).

Harlan Huckleby
06-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Woodson & Pickett, weren't they soul singers in the 60's? i think I saw their act.

woodbuck27
06-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Woodson & Pickett, weren't they soul singers in the 60's? i think I saw their act.

Uhhhh ! That wouldn't be Wilson Pickett of 'Mustang Sally ' fame, would it HH?