PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers and 'The Progression'

mraynrand
08-12-2008, 01:36 PM
I was watching Rodgers closely last night (who wasn't) and started watching his so-called 'progression' through his receivers. Typically, what one means when talking of 'going through the progression' is to look at the primary receiver and if covered, go to the second, third, TE, to running back out of the backfield, where applicable. You know the routine. The element often overlooked in the progression is that much of the work of finding the correct target comes before the snap, by reading the coverage. I noticed on at least two plays where Rodgers' had to come off his first receiver and held the ball too long. Looking back, it appears his primary target was doubled (or had two defenders very close, pre-snap). I think this is the key to Rodgers maturing - that is, he has to win the pre-snap battle. He actually looked pretty good (quick) looking around for the open guy, but many times that's not the critical element for a positive play. It will be interesting to see whether Rodgers has the pre-snap knack and/or how quickly it develops. Some growing pains will be inevitable when the exotic coverages of the regular season are used. Overall though, I thought last night was a good showing for Rodgers.

Noodle
08-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Great point. I've become bored with the whole "is his arm strong enough" or "is he tough enought" crap. Dude can throw. Dude played on a broken foot and is plenty tough. But so what?

It's pre-snap reading defenses that will either make or break him. That's where both Brady and P Manning shine, and that's what Favre did really well last year. Figuring where the pressure will come from, where the mis-matches are on the receivers, then being able to process quickly how that will affect who to throw to and where is some seriously hard stuff that will only come with experience.

A lot of guys never get it.

Pacopete4
08-12-2008, 02:01 PM
this is probably one of the best posts I've read on here... very nice!

Packgator
08-12-2008, 02:01 PM
I thought last night was a good showing for Rodgers.

Good points. He needs game experience. I agree......good showing for Rodgers.

bobblehead
08-12-2008, 03:12 PM
I agree with the premise of the post and I would point out that he noticed on back to back plays that JJ and Ruvell were in single coverage on the edge and he went deep to them. those were important and good reads. Overall I was very happy with his play

pbmax
08-12-2008, 03:18 PM
I think it is likely that he will learn much more about pre-snap reads and coverages as he gains regular season starts, rather than time in exhibitions, camp or Qback school. Since many teams try to disguise this very aspect of their defense, its likely that a lot of the information Rodgers needs to learn to process will be gained by viewing it on the field, seeing the result and then going back to tape to see what he was right about and where he read wrong.

An altogether excellent point Mr. Rand.