PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a veteran back-up at quarterback?

sheepshead
08-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Kinda scary right now.

The Leaper
08-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Um...yes.

boiga
08-12-2008, 01:54 PM
I say give the rooks a chance. Playing lousy in their first preseason game doesn't mean they can't hold a clipboard. They haven't shown any potential to win a game for us, but they should be able to hand off to Grant and not lose it for us either.

Also, I don't see anyone in the FA market that would have any better potential for us if Rodgers goes down.

Gunakor
08-12-2008, 01:55 PM
I voted yes, but I'd like to see Flynn get his shot at the backup job too. Hopefully he'll get to play with the #2's sooner rather than later.

MOBB DEEP
08-12-2008, 01:58 PM
GET CULPEPPER.......!!!!!

mraynrand
08-12-2008, 01:59 PM

I think he wants to start.

Pacopete4
08-12-2008, 02:00 PM

You can't be serious... anyone who thinks Culps is a west coast QB that has to actually read a defense is completely insane to me...

sheepshead
08-12-2008, 02:03 PM
I kinda think TT will be hangin around Tampas dumpster the next few weeks.

cpk1994
08-12-2008, 02:08 PM

You can't be serious... anyone who thinks Culps is a west coast QB that has to actually read a defense is completely insane to me...Not to mention that Culpepper tuned down an offer before. What makes anyone think that he will change his mind now?

DonHutson
08-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Not to mention that Culpepper tuned down an offer before. What makes anyone think that he will change his mind now?

Chronic unemployment?

retailguy
08-12-2008, 02:50 PM
"no, we good"...

WTF? Did you let Tyrone write this poll? :lol:

There is not enough kool aid in the world to let any of us think that the backup QB spot is in good hands....

Packers4Ever
08-12-2008, 03:05 PM
I kinda think TT will be hangin around Tampas dumpster the next few weeks.

For sure he will, this is a no brainer !!
Maybe he has a good record with dumpsters? :roll:

pbmax
08-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Kids gotta learn. Unless they fall completely flat, I say no.

If nothing improves much from the 1st exhibition, then prior to week one I can see it. But limiting throws in camp should be a last concession. I could be persuaded to change my mind if its probable that Flynn could be stashed on the practice squad safely for the year. Or if he's a good enough actor to develop a debilitating season ending hamstring problem, then go on IR and then miraculously recover in two weeks.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Culpepper has to be an option.

Remember, we are sorting through the reject bin, you can't expect too much.

mission
08-12-2008, 09:37 PM
yalready know how i voted!

please lord!

even if we only lose rodgers for 3 quarters of a game, we have to be able to have someone who can come in and just "not fuck it up" for three quarters if anything.

giving up a game just from a lack of preparation/realization, imo, is unacceptable and would be a major gripe of mine towards TT (yes, im capable of criticizing him)

i dont think we'll be afforded the luxury this year of being able to give away stupid games...

"no, we good"...

WTF? Did you let Tyrone write this poll? :lol:.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

VegasPackFan
08-12-2008, 09:40 PM
AJ Feeley just became available.........

texaspackerbacker
08-13-2008, 01:51 AM
HELL NO we don't need no stinking veteran backup.

Brohm and Flynn (not necessarily in that order) will be just fine. It would be absolutely bonehead stupid to sign some over age piece of crap and have to cut Flynn.

I see 71% in here along with a bunch of media idiots, disagree. I'm confident, though, that the only two who matter--Thompson and McCarthy--think like I do.

CaliforniaCheez
08-13-2008, 02:41 AM
It is a gamble.

The risk diminishes over time.

It will still be a gamble next year but less so and acceptable risk in 2010.

2011 it will be a surplus and someone will be traded.

If Rodgers can't go the whole season without injury then hopefully he can make it past the Metrodome week to give Brohm and Flynn more of a chance to learn.

mmmdk
08-13-2008, 02:45 AM
Maybe we need a vet QB but just say no to Culpepper. I don't any vets worth a roster spot though.

Tarlam!
08-13-2008, 03:58 AM
What Tex said. Brohm and Flynn are cool with it. I bet, they see more action this year than A-Rod did his first 3 years... And, they'll be OK.

RashanGary
08-13-2008, 07:09 AM
I voted "no".

I'd rather see us put Brohm on the fast track and hope Rodgers doesn't go down in the first couple games. By week 8 we should have two young QB's who could come in and manage the game. I just hate wasting roster spots on old has-beens that will never be mroe than sucky. At least the two we have now have a chance at being something.

RashanGary
08-13-2008, 07:12 AM
And I know it's risky, but high risk = high reward and the only way to win the SB is to have a lot of high reward. Good and safe isn't enough.

3irty1
08-13-2008, 07:39 AM
I'll vote after preseason. There's no reason to panic and get a vet now. But if Brohm looks as bad as he did on Monday all preseason then I think the answer is clear.

pbmax
08-13-2008, 07:40 AM
texaspackerbacker approach to life:

Glass is not half full nor half empty.

Glass is completely full at all times!

Brohm and Flynn (not necessarily in that order) will be just fine. It would be absolutely bonehead stupid to sign some over age piece of crap and have to cut Flynn.

I see 71% in here along with a bunch of media idiots, disagree. I'm confident, though, that the only two who matter--Thompson and McCarthy--think like I do.

texaspackerbacker
08-13-2008, 09:57 AM
texaspackerbacker approach to life:

Glass is not half full nor half empty.

Glass is completely full at all times!

Hell Yeah!!! Ain't Reality Wonderful!!!

sheepshead
08-13-2008, 10:26 AM
I'll vote after preseason. There's no reason to panic and get a vet now. But if Brohm looks as bad as he did on Monday all preseason then I think the answer is clear.

I guess I was thinking as theyre released. I agree it's a week to week deal. What if the season started Sunday?

MadtownPacker
08-13-2008, 11:05 AM

I see 71% in here along with a bunch of media idiots, disagree. I'm confident, though, that the only two who matter--Thompson and McCarthy--think like I do.Hahaha!! That is some classic Tex shit right there!! :lol:

Fritz
08-13-2008, 01:00 PM
My thoughts exactly, Mad.

Noodle
08-13-2008, 11:43 PM
I really missed that stuff from Tex. It's good to have him back.

I want a vet in camp, but I want him for A-Rod. I know we have a qb coach and all, but I think an older dude who's seen lots of crap could impart some wisdom to the young fella. Somebody to get all excited with him when he does well and to pat him the hinder when he throws a stupid pick.

Kind of a Mr. Miyagi thing, if you know what I mean.

oregonpackfan
08-14-2008, 12:32 AM
If Rodgers should go down, we would have 2 rookier QB's to take on a starter's role.

How many rookie QB's can you name who performed well as starters?
I can only think of Dan Marino and Ben Rothlisburger(sp?)

Now how many rookie QB's can you name who flopped as starters?
I can name plenty, including Tim Couch, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith,...

IMO, the Packers need to sign a veteran QB as a backup.

Scott Campbell
08-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Didn't Tim Couch play ok as a rook?

mission
08-14-2008, 02:02 AM

No. That was Alex Smith.

:oops:

SnakeLH2006
08-14-2008, 02:25 AM

No. That was Alex Smith.

Wow...can't believe how many #1 overall picks completely busted over the past 2 decades....Aundray Bruce, Kijana Carter....then the Qb's like Ryan "I'll kick your ass reporter and whine like a beyotch cuz I'm sensitive" Leaf, etc. etc. Crazy shit. Not saying A-rod's the man yet, but damn Alex Smith??

AV David
08-14-2008, 07:19 AM
AJ Feeley just became available.........

Isn't AJ Feeley a kicker? I'll take Brohm over AJ Feeley.

Zool
08-14-2008, 07:49 AM
You're probably thinking of Jay Feely.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/feelyjay01.htm

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2008, 11:50 AM
If TT doesn't bring-in a vet backup, he will have failed in his GM duties.

Brohm is not ready to be an NFL starter. He & Flynn might get a little better with 3 more games, but the team would still be in a vulnerable position if Rodgers went down.

Partial
08-14-2008, 11:59 AM
AJ Freeley they guy who backed up Dono and Timmy in Philly a few years ago. He almost beat the Pats this yeeeer.

sharpe1027
08-14-2008, 12:10 PM
I vote no. Let's be honest with what veterans are available...if Rodgers goes down, I don't see any of them leading use to victory in the post season. They are known commodities, but they are known to be sub-par at best. So what would be the point?

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2008, 12:14 PM
I vote no. Let's be honest with what veterans are available...if Rodgers goes down, I don't see any of them leading use to victory in the post season. They are known commodities, but they are known to be sub-par at best. So what would be the point?

IF Rodgers goes down, it most likely would be for a few games.

A decent Vet can guide the teams to at least a .500 record while Rodgers is out, keep them in contention. I can't see the rookies doing that.

GBRulz
08-14-2008, 12:24 PM

No. That was Alex Smith.

You know you're bad when people discuss your eyebrow plucking vs. your play on the field.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/alexsmithdragqueen.jpg

mission
08-14-2008, 12:32 PM

No. That was Alex Smith.

You know you're bad when people discuss your eyebrow plucking vs. your play on the field.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/alexsmithdragqueen.jpg
disgusting ... what the hell is that?!

sheepshead
08-14-2008, 02:04 PM

A decent Vet can guide the teams to at least a .500 record while Rodgers is out, keep them in contention. I can't see the rookies doing that.

As of right now, I agree. That's the insurance. Someone that can come in and run the offense. Move the chains.

sharpe1027
08-14-2008, 02:07 PM

I don't see any decent vets out there... :)

I'll be happy either way they do it, but the quesion was whether we NEEDED to bring in a Vet. I say we don't need one. I don't feel that they would be markedly better than what we have now. It is a risk either way, but I'd rather that they kept the guys they think are the best players, regardless of their "experience." What good is experience, if all it shows is that you can't cut it?

rbaloha1
08-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Yes, Craig Nall

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Nall would be OK.

Lurker64
08-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Yes, Craig Nall

I'm not sure Nall is ahead of Brohm or Flynn at this point. He's really only in the league at this point because he spent so many years as a Favre-backup and several of those guys have worked out.

Nall hasn't shown anybody anything on the field in years.

RashanGary
08-14-2008, 07:03 PM
I like going with two young guys with potential over an old guy who has none. Plugging holes with shitty vets is a sure way to mediocrity.

Deputy Nutz
08-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I like going with two young guys with potential over an old guy who has none. Plugging holes with shitty vets is a sure way to mediocrity.

exactly, this season is shot anyways if Rodgers is out any significant amount of time. Who cares who takes the snaps, better some young kid with potential than an aging has been.

Harlan Huckleby
08-15-2008, 01:26 AM

exactly, this season is shot anyways if Rodgers is out any significant amount of time. Who cares who takes the snaps, better some young kid with potential than an aging has been.

If Rodgers is out 6 games, winning 3 of them might be just enough to keep the team in the playoff hunt. Having a functional backup QB is critical. From what I've seen, Craig Nall, or a similar vet with some experience, would be light years ahead of our rookies.

The Leaper
08-15-2008, 08:17 AM
I'll be happy either way they do it, but the quesion was whether we NEEDED to bring in a Vet. I say we don't need one. I don't feel that they would be markedly better than what we have now.

From Bedard's training camp blog after Thursday...

"Backup QB Brian Brohm didn't really respond well to McCarthy calling him out yesterday with his announcement that Matt Flynn had gained on Brohm. He was shaky again and threw a terrible out pass to Taj Smith that Charles Woodson easily picked off for a would-be touchdown. The pass by Brohm, and it was only about 12 yards, had a vicious, ugly wobble on it.

Flynn also threw an interception to Woodson in 7-on-7 and nearly another to Harris."

Yep...clearly, we don't need a capable backup. Not at all.

Deputy Nutz
08-15-2008, 09:08 AM

If Rodgers is out 6 games, winning 3 of them might be just enough to keep the team in the playoff hunt. Having a functional backup QB is critical. From what I've seen, Craig Nall, or a similar vet with some experience, would be light years ahead of our rookies.

So with your theory the Packers would have to trade for on of these gems, or would have to pray that a couple of them would be released and then would have enough time to learn and operate the playbook with only getting the reps of a backup at the start of the season. Sure if Rodger goes down week 10 and could be back week 16.

Is Phil Simms kid really going to be that much better than Brohm? At least Brohm has a future with this organization, Chris Simms is well, a guy that got his splean busted open.

Joemailman
08-15-2008, 09:23 AM
I guess I'm inclined to give Brohm and Flynn more than 1 preseason game to show what they can do before bringing someone like Nall. No need to bring in someone in the preseason and slow the development of the rookies. Stiffs like Nall will always be available if you feel you need to sign someone at some point.

3irty1
08-15-2008, 09:41 AM
If we end up getting one I think Nall is the best guess.

Deputy Nutz
08-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Nall has never started a game in his life, he is a great clipboard holder, please I am not trying to take that away from him that would be cruel, but no team in the NFL has intrusted Craig Nall to run their offense for anything more than a couple of series or at most a quarter of a real football game.

RashanGary
08-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Brohm is only getting better and so is Flynn. I'd rather have two talented young guys on the rise with high potential than proven garbage.

SnakeLH2006
08-15-2008, 11:51 PM
I'll be happy either way they do it, but the quesion was whether we NEEDED to bring in a Vet. I say we don't need one. I don't feel that they would be markedly better than what we have now.

From Bedard's training camp blog after Thursday...

"Backup QB Brian Brohm didn't really respond well to McCarthy calling him out yesterday with his announcement that Matt Flynn had gained on Brohm. He was shaky again and threw a terrible out pass to Taj Smith that Charles Woodson easily picked off for a would-be touchdown. The pass by Brohm, and it was only about 12 yards, had a vicious, ugly wobble on it.

Flynn also threw an interception to Woodson in 7-on-7 and nearly another to Harris."

Yep...clearly, we don't need a capable backup. Not at all.

2 things here...

1) Bedard is one funny bastard with his descriptors of said events...
2) We need someone to play .500 ball when A-rod gets smoked on a blown B-Jack blitz pickup on 3rd down.

I'm high on Flynn as he looked good in that first game, and Brohm looked shaky at best. But....No way either one could put together even a Kyle Orton or T-Jack performance (both have sucked ass up till now in playing time the reg. season) right now as a rook. Sign Feely who at least is competitive (almost beat the Tapepriots last year) for the season and stash one of the rooks on IR...It's not like we are gonna cut one of TT's draft pick QB's so rest easy JH. Rest easy my son. :lol:

Tarlam!
08-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Brohm is only getting better and so is Flynn. I'd rather have two talented young guys on the rise with high potential than proven garbage.

Brohm is showing signs of pressure. He's had lousy practices according to JSO since his mediocre debut. I'm convinced he'll be fine eventually, but it's not gonna look good on his resumé if he gets pipped by a 7th rounder with only a year at college as a starter....

MOBB DEEP
08-16-2008, 09:32 AM

You can't be serious... anyone who thinks Culps is a west coast QB that has to actually read a defense is completely insane to me...

wat r u talkn about???

deake
08-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Kids gotta learn. Unless they fall completely flat, I say no.

If nothing improves much from the 1st exhibition, then prior to week one I can see it. But limiting throws in camp should be a last concession. I could be persuaded to change my mind if its probable that Flynn could be stashed on the practice squad safely for the year. Or if he's a good enough actor to develop a debilitating season ending hamstring problem, then go on IR and then miraculously recover in two weeks.

Stashing Flynn on the IR would seem to be the best solution because it would help TT justify getting a veteran quarterback. The building for the future etc. questions would become a mute point. He could simply say they needed a third quarterback. The question would be, do they really do that. Fake an injury or at least make it to be more severe than it is to stash players on the IR? Couldn’t that get them in a lot of trouble?

MJZiggy
08-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Yes, that could get them in a lot of trouble with the league.

RashanGary
08-16-2008, 12:23 PM

Brohm is showing signs of pressure. He's had lousy practices according to JSO since his mediocre debut. I'm convinced he'll be fine eventually, but it's not gonna look good on his resumé if he gets pipped by a 7th rounder with only a year at college as a starter....

You guys panic way too early. There is a lot to being an NFL QB. In a matter of 10 seconds you have to get to the line, survey the defense, consider how the play you have called is going to mix with the defense they have called, spot protections, keep an eye out for signs of disguised blitzes and be ready if the coverage it looks like they're in now is different than the coverage they're acctually in (basically having a whole second plan of attack if there is a disguise) by the time the ball is snapped and I'm not an NFL QB and only have 15 years of listening to former ones but I imagine there is more. Plus, you have to excecute and keep good fundementals during all of it which in itself is a mountain of a task, although these guys seem to be throwing accurate, well placed balls for the most part (compared to the complete misses of young QB's of the past).

They've had a couple weeks of camp. The goal is to have Brohm ready to not choke it up by the start of the season and ready to win some games by the middle of it. The best you can hope for from one of these proven garbage QB's is that they won't choke it up. Look at that ball sucker that Minny got from Cleveland last year, I forget his name. He was pure shit. He was better than the other pure shit they had, but whoopity fucking do. That's nothing to shoot for and nothing we should all be crossing our fingers for. Let's put some faith in the guys who draft and the guys who say they're up to the challenge of getting these guys ready. It's very early and the Packers are bold enough to go with talent, upside, and trust in their coaching rather than panic stricken desperation that would probably lead to us lsoing a long term talented player (flynn) when we might have two damn good young guys on our roster right now. McCarthy seems to think so anyway. Bottom line, you guys are a bunch of scared pussys. No wonder you don't like TT. He doesn't run around making sure every little scary object in the room is put under the bed before you go to sleep. Put your big man pants. Damn it.

The Leaper
08-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Are the 20 who voted "we good" still confident that we are a playoff team with Aaron Rodgers, 2 wide eyed rookies, and a shaky interior OL?

imscott72
08-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Like I said in another thread, TT and MM are crazy if they think we can ride this season out with Arod and the two rooks. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a vet QB on the roster come week 1.

Scott Campbell
08-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Flynn looked tough in the pocket considering the ass kicking he was taking.

Noodle
08-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Flynn looked tough in the pocket considering the ass kicking he was taking.

So did David Carr.

digitaldean
08-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Let's not get our undies in a bundle.

Yes, Brohm struggled last night. My hope is that Ted can pick up somebody like Simms, or some other veteran after the first cutdown. Tampa can't carry ALL six QB's :)

sheepshead
08-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Ted..... get on the phone.....

Carolina_Packer
08-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Ted..... get on the phone.....

See if you can get Garcia from Tampa. He knows the WCO. They don't need a long-term solution, just a stop-gap.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2008, 11:29 PM
See if you can get Garcia from Tampa. He knows the WCO. They don't need a long-term solution, just a stop-gap.

Garcia is their starter. Why would a playoff team want to trade their starting QB at this point?

Carolina_Packer
08-22-2008, 11:31 PM

Garcia is their starter. Why would a playoff team want to trade their starting QB at this point?

I thought he was on the outs there?

Gunakor
08-22-2008, 11:35 PM

I thought he was on the outs there?

Only if Favre was on the ins there

Zool
08-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Chris Simms for #2

Lurker64
08-23-2008, 12:11 AM
I'd like to change my vote to "Yes, Yes, a Thousand Times Yes!!!!".

I think Brohm might best be summed up as "Isn't good, never was good, never will be good."

RashanGary
08-23-2008, 12:21 AM

I think Brohm might best be summed up as "Isn't good, never was good, never will be good."

Premature to say the least.

Lurker64
08-23-2008, 12:25 AM

Oh, absolutely premature but I've never liked Brohm and he's done absolutely nothing to earn my confidence, or really the confidence of any other Packer fan. It's like he's never played QB before out there.

Partial
08-23-2008, 12:54 AM

Oh, absolutely premature but I've never liked Brohm and he's done absolutely nothing to earn my confidence, or really the confidence of any other Packer fan. It's like he's never played QB before out there.

Please. He doesn't look any worse than Rodgers did coming out, except Brohm is a more heady player and his problem seems to be being too comfortable and hanging on to the ball too long as opposed to being a scared puppy.

Brohm will be a fine, slightly better and less cocky Phil Rivers.

3irty1
08-23-2008, 07:59 AM
I think its obvious that we need some type of backup for Rodgers.

In 3 preseason games Brohm is 12/30 with 103 yards and an INT.

Spaulding
08-23-2008, 08:53 AM
I continued to think we'd be fine at backup QB and that Brohm or Flynn would step up enough to allow us to head into the season status quo. But after last night I'm tend to think we do need a veteran but can't see it happening due to being handcuffed. Flynn has clearly outplayed Brohm and thus based on merit should be the #2 (or in this case #3 if we sign a vet) but with no way in hell Brohm going to the practice squad we'd be stuck holding onto four QB's on the roster which given our injuries and other position competition seems very unlikely. Flynn clearing the other teams to make the PS squad also seems remote given his pretty decent showing so far.

As others had mentioned, Simms still has some upside, is a gamer and team player and might be available (re Bucs forum - http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/and-johnson-makes-four/) and so I'd be fine if they snagged him but again don't see it happening.

That being said, I think what you see is what you get and Flynn gets elevated to #2 and we all hold our breath that Rodgers doesn't go down.

MJZiggy
08-23-2008, 09:09 AM
I wonder if we're waiting for roster cuts to see if any overstocks are going to be available for free...

RashanGary
08-23-2008, 09:13 AM
It's very, very early for Brohm. There is an awful lot to process and MM seems to be putting a lot on his plate. Rookie QB's just need time. It's way to early to make any type of judgement.

If Rodgers goes down they will probably have to scale the offense back this year, but next year when Brohm and Flynn both have full offseasons with McCarthy and with the offense I think we'll all sit back as our 2nd and 3rd offenses dominate and say "hey, it was a little bumpy for one year, but it paid off". Maybe we'll say "they still suck", but I'll bet over the long haul it's better to go with talented young guys than it is to use crappy vets as patchwork.

sheepshead
08-23-2008, 09:20 AM
It's very, very early for Brohm. There is an awful lot to process and MM seems to be putting a lot on his plate. Rookie QB's just need time. It's way to early to make any type of judgement.

If Rodgers goes down they will probably have to scale the offense back this year, but next year when Brohm and Flynn both have full offseasons with McCarthy and with the offense I think we'll all sit back as our 2nd and 3rd offenses dominate and say "hey, it was a little bumpy for one year, but it paid off". Maybe we'll say "they still suck", but I'll bet over the long haul it's better to go with talented young guys than it is to use crappy vets as patchwork.

Geez what a mistake that would be. It's time, there's one preseason game left. In two weeks the games count. Neither of these guys can move the chains. There's too much at stake. We are not going to put ourselves in a position where we just write the season off.

pbmax
08-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Since you asked,

Let's keep one thing in perspective, despite an injury to a starter and shuffling, Rodgers got hit twice before the throw. And one was a hit by Tauscher's guy. Colledge allowed two pressures that I counted while with the ones.

That's not great but they aren't quite stumblebums.

I think Rodgers will be fine, I am less comfortable with the two rookies than I was last week. Except for scout team, they didn't get much practice as the Packers went back to a more regular season practice schedule. There is only one more short week and then they will get the majority of the play next week.

AJ Feely does nothing for me. Simms, maybe, but he has got to be released first. Culpepper wants to start and as someone else noted is not known for being cerebral on the field. The criticism tends to be one read then take off.

Nall and the other Tamps castoffs are of no interest to me. But no matter what happens, the vet QB doesn't get signed until after final cutdowns.

Are the 20 who voted "we good" still confident that we are a playoff team with Aaron Rodgers, 2 wide eyed rookies, and a shaky interior OL?

Maxie the Taxi
08-23-2008, 10:26 AM
I voted to stay with the rooks, but after last night my vote is not as strong.

Still, my problem is I think Flynn will be better than Brohm and I have a feeling that if we pick up another QB we'll lose Flynn.

In any case, I'm against signing a Culpepper or a Simms-type. I'd rather limp through the season with our two current guys. As JH says, they will gain non-game experience (ala Rodgers) as season rolls on.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 10:28 AM
NO WAY can Brohm serve as the backup.

If the team wants to name Flynn as the #2, well OK.

I think the team is cornered, most likely they will add a vet and carry 4 QBs.

Maxie the Taxi
08-23-2008, 10:29 AM

4 QB's??

I doubt that.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 10:31 AM

4 QB's??

I doubt that.

you can't hide Flynn on the practice squad. What is your better solution?

Maxie the Taxi
08-23-2008, 10:40 AM

4 QB's??

I doubt that.

you can't hide Flynn on the practice squad. What is your better solution?

Unless Brohm (or Flynn) causes the coaches to REALLY lose confidence in him (enough to cut him), the best solution is to keep them both and not go with an experienced backup. In other words, bite the bullet.

There're too many other positions that need the extra roster spot a 4th QB would occupy, like LB and RB.

Guiness
08-23-2008, 01:06 PM
There're too many other positions that need the extra roster spot a 4th QB would occupy, like LB and RB.

My feelings exactly, especially at RB seeing as Grant hasn't been on the field yet...

I dunno. I don't think Flynn would make it to the PS. If Rodgers gets hurt, I wonder how we'd fare bringing in a vet on short notice. Not great, I know, but maybe ok? I know no one here much likes Nall, but I think he'll be at home this season. Is the O similar enough to when he was here that he may be able to step in?

sheepshead
08-23-2008, 01:44 PM
4 QB's?? Hell no, somebody gets moved out one way or another. I havent seen enough to say who's gonna be our #3, but at this point who gives a shit. It's clear neither can be a #2 and we have a #1 that's been injured twice in 2 years.

mraynrand
08-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Another reality here is how late in the season it is. Seriously. So let's go through the scenario of what is really worrying Packer fans. If Rodgers gets hurt, with Flynn as #2, the Packers probably struggle mightily to win that game, if the injury is early. If it's a season-ending injury, well, then the season is pretty much over, unless Flynn or Brohm wakes up right away. The veteran QB you want is not available yet, and won't be availabl until after the cut down. The liklihood of that QB being picked up is slim, so the guy would STILL be there should Rodgers be injured for a long stretch. If the guy is available, he can't be that good. If the Packers really need a refuse QB, they're already in enoug trouble that it's really probably not going to help much. They could always try to work out a trade or a cut and sign off waivers deal (which GMs will allow, by the 'honor system' like happened with Rison in '96).

Bottom line: Packers can go with Flynn and Brohm, picking up a veteran should Rodgers suffer a significant injury.

Maxie the Taxi
08-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Another reality here is how late in the season it is. Seriously. So let's go through the scenario of what is really worrying Packer fans. If Rodgers gets hurt, with Flynn as #2, the Packers probably struggle mightily to win that game, if the injury is early. If it's a season-ending injury, well, then the season is pretty much over, unless Flynn or Brohm wakes up right away. The veteran QB you want is not available yet, and won't be availabl until after the cut down. The liklihood of that QB being picked up is slim, so the guy would STILL be there should Rodgers be injured for a long stretch. If the guy is available, he can't be that good. If the Packers really need a refuse QB, they're already in enoug trouble that it's really probably not going to help much. They could always try to work out a trade or a cut and sign off waivers deal (which GMs will allow, by the 'honor system' like happened with Rison in '96).

Bottom line: Packers can go with Flynn and Brohm, picking up a veteran should Rodgers suffer a significant injury.

Ditto.

mission
08-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Not that Im defending the rookies but you gotta think they'd look BETTER not playing with the second and third teams... i mean... we got playmakers at wideout. not exactly like flynn or brohm have got to take advantage of that yet ...

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Not that Im defending the rookies but you gotta think they'd look BETTER not playing with the second and third teams.

This is a good point to remind people of. NO QB can look great with a motley crew. But Brohm looks overwhelmed, that much is undeniable.

I'm willing to let the coaches go into the season with Flynn if they are OK with it, I green-lighted it just this morning. But my first choice now is to go with 4 QBs as the least-bad option.

esoxx
08-24-2008, 01:39 AM
No. We are fine at backup QB. They look solid.

SnakeLH2006
08-24-2008, 02:38 AM
This is pretty easy stuff. NO WAY they cut Brohm (draft pick status/college pedigree/potential) even though he's looked like TJ Rubley thus far. Flynn at least plays the part as a surprise rookie with some potential as a decent backup longterm.

1) Cut one of the rookies and sign a vet
2) Keep both rookies and pray Arod doesn't get hurt and cost us games with shaky rooks
3) Stash one of the rooks on IR (tweaked knee, etc.) as a dirty secret in NFL circles to keep talent that would get scooped up by QB hungry teams in a nano-second....then sign a vet QB (do a 7th round pick for Simms or some other vet with starting experience)

Hunch is riding on option #3......well praying actually. 8-)

MJZiggy
08-24-2008, 08:18 AM
As a "dirty secret" teams can get in trouble with the league for listing players on IR who aren't actually injured. And the league does like to enforce its rules.

Tarlam!
08-24-2008, 08:27 AM
How many 1st year starters have led their teams to a world championship??

Right, thought so.

This year is a right off from Day 1. Anybody thinking we've got a shot is really on the cool aide.

May as well leave the rooks in their back-up roles.

retailguy
08-24-2008, 08:46 AM

Right, thought so.

This year is a right off from Day 1. Anybody thinking we've got a shot is really on the cool aide.

Ben Rothlisberger led the team to the Super Bowl in his rookie year.... Plenty have led their teams well in the 3rd year. Rodgers isn't a rookie and damn well better not perform like one. He'll have ups and downs, but it shouldn't be like that.

Tarlam!
08-24-2008, 08:57 AM
I knew about Ben, RG. But how many others?

I never called Aaron a Rookie starter. I called him a 1st year starter. You yourself are saying we'll have ups and downs. The Pats last year had 18 ups in a row and then one major down! I bet we don't see that, though!

sheepshead
08-24-2008, 09:34 AM

Right, thought so.

MM and TT are not thinking this way, I guarantee that. As a Packer fan, neither am I.

Tarlam!
08-24-2008, 09:39 AM
MM and TT are not thinking this way, I guarantee that.

Do you have inside info? Are you really on the team and not telling anyone? Otherwise, how can you guarantee anything that TT and M3 are thinking?

RashanGary
08-24-2008, 09:43 AM
How many washed up, shitty backups have come in mid season and lead their team to the SB?

sheepshead
08-24-2008, 09:45 AM
MM and TT are not thinking this way, I guarantee that.

Do you have inside info? Are you really on the team and not telling anyone? Otherwise, how can you guarantee anything that TT and M3 are thinking?

Because they are not going into this year, thinking they are going win less than 13 games. They did not make the moves they did to win less games. (why does this need to be explained to you?)

Chevelle2
08-24-2008, 10:04 AM

Won Super Bowl:

Big Ben
Tom Brady
Kurt Warner

Gotten To Super Bowl

Dan Marino
Jake Delhomme
Rex Grossman

Gone Deep Into Playoffs:

Carson
Pennington
Rivers
Garrard
Vick

Playoffs:

Romo

Tarlam!
08-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Because they are not going into this year, thinking they are going win less than 13 games. They did not make the moves they did to win less games. (why does this need to be explained to you?)

You are guaranteeing something you can't. Why does this need to be explained to you? You have stated your opinion, which I respect as such. Your guarantee is worth the paper you wrote it on.

K-town
08-24-2008, 10:08 AM
How has Romo gone deep into the playoffs when Dallas hasn't won a playoff game since 1996?

Chevelle2
08-24-2008, 10:09 AM
How has Romo gone deep into the playoffs when Dallas hasn't won a playoff game since 1996?

fair enough, still had a good year tho

Tarlam!
08-24-2008, 10:10 AM

Won Super Bowl:

Big Ben
Tom Brady
Kurt Warner

Gotten To Super Bowl

Dan Marino
Jake Delhomme
Rex Grossman

Thanks, Chevelle. So, 3 1st year starters won, a further 3 got their teams there. In 80 some years of football. Not including Year 1.

I'm not holding my breath. We don't need a vet QB.

sheepshead
08-24-2008, 10:14 AM

You are guaranteeing something you can't. Why does this need to be explained to you? You have stated your opinion, which I respect as such. Your guarantee is worth the paper you wrote it on.

so, youre saying TT and MM are sitting around in the offices of Lambeau and saying to each other, you know...lets just let Favre go. Lets make this season a right (sic) off? Do you really think they are approaching this season like that?

Do really think so little of these guys?

sheepshead
08-24-2008, 10:19 AM

Won Super Bowl:

Big Ben
Tom Brady
Kurt Warner

Gotten To Super Bowl

Dan Marino
Jake Delhomme
Rex Grossman

Thanks, Chevelle. So, 3 1st year starters won, a further 3 got their teams there. In 80 some years of football. Not including Year 1.

I'm not holding my breath. We don't need a vet QB.

No Einstein that's 42 years of Super Bowls of which I can think, just off hand of AT LEAST 20 of those games had a repeat appearance by the QB. Tom Brady, Terry Bradshaw et al.

Tarlam!
08-24-2008, 10:21 AM
No Einstein.

Do not start throwing insults. I haven't. I expect an apology.

sheepshead
08-24-2008, 10:24 AM
F U C K Y O U

Tarlam!
08-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Lets make this season a right (sic) off? Do you really think they are approaching this season like that?

Do really think so little of these guys?

Yes, I think they have written off the season. No, I certainly do not think "little of these guys" for it. I think the world of them.

Tarlam!
08-24-2008, 10:28 AM
F U C K Y O U

Ah, I thank you for your respecting my opinions. Too bad you simply lack the intelligence to actually debate on a mature level. You need to resort to name calling, vulgar language etc. I actually feel pity on your behalf.

sheepshead
08-24-2008, 10:39 AM
F U C K Y O U

Ah, I thank you for your respecting my opinions. Too bad you simply lack the intelligence to actually debate on a mature level. You need to resort to name calling, vulgar language etc. I actually feel pity on your behalf.

I dont mind a debate. Do not ever, under any circumstance tell me what to do, police anything I say, EVER! If you cant handle the subject matter..walk away. AM I understood?

Tarlam!
08-24-2008, 10:55 AM
AM I understood?

Yes. You're well understood. You are an asshole. We all get it. We knew it from the day you got here.

You cannot formulate an opinion. I am sure, the maturer posters can be somewhat more tolerant with your spew. I can't, but I am immature.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Brohm has disqualified himself to be the backup.

I think the team ought to name Flynn the #2, and let him play the whole first half Thursday night. See how he can do (if only briefly) playing with and against #1's. Rodgers is not going to benefit that much from a couple series with the starters, not as much as the team benefits from testing Flynn.

sheepshead
08-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Word is Simms is the odd man out in Tampa.

Tarlam!
08-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Word is Simms is the odd man out in Tampa.

Another "guarantee" ?

If it happens you'll only be quoting what people have been saying since February, but, you'll have "guaranteed" it. So, your erection should be more stable this time.

Zool
08-24-2008, 11:55 AM

Won Super Bowl:

Big Ben
Tom Brady
Kurt Warner

Gotten To Super Bowl

Dan Marino
Jake Delhomme
Rex Grossman

Gone Deep Into Playoffs:

Carson
Pennington
Rivers
Garrard
Vick

Playoffs:

Romo

Roethlisberger started 13 games in 2004-superbowl after the 2005 season
Marino started 9 games in 83-superbowl after the 1984 season
Palmer has won 0 playoff games
Rivers lost his first playoff game in his first season starting

MOBB DEEP
08-24-2008, 01:15 PM
culpepper or kordell

KYPack
08-24-2008, 01:21 PM
culpepper or kordell

Stewart?

Are you serious?

arcilite
08-24-2008, 01:23 PM
culpepper or kordell

Stewart?

Are you serious?

Mobb Deep gets his football news off espn classic apparently

The Gunshooter
08-24-2008, 02:00 PM

Right, thought so.

Tom Brady is one.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2008, 02:04 PM

Right, thought so.

Tom Brady is one.

Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady, and Kurt Warner to name three just from this decade.

falco
08-24-2008, 02:10 PM

Right, thought so.

Tom Brady is one.

Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady, and Kurt Warner to name three just from this decade.

i think tarlam meant other than those 3

Chevelle2
08-24-2008, 02:12 PM

Right, thought so.

Tom Brady is one.

i think tarlam meant other than those 3

I have a solid list a couple pages back...Staubach won it all as a first year starter too.

MOBB DEEP
08-24-2008, 02:16 PM
culpepper or kordell

Stewart?

Are you serious?

he actually said he's waiting to get a call and doesnt understand y he hasnt; said that two weeks ago, btw

MOBB DEEP
08-24-2008, 02:17 PM
culpepper or kordell

Stewart?

Are you serious?

Mobb Deep gets his football news off espn classic apparently

lol..and reggie wayne doubles as marvin harrison

MOBB DEEP
08-24-2008, 02:20 PM
seriously though, culpepper is better than AT LEAST eight current startn QBs, including orton ...how does that kind of thing happen in '08?

weird

Zool
08-24-2008, 03:04 PM
I have a solid list a couple pages back...Staubach won it all as a first year starter too.

I had to eliminate a few from your list.

Roethlisberger started 13 games in 2004-superbowl after the 2005 season
Marino started 9 games in 83-superbowl after the 1984 season
Palmer has won 0 playoff games
Rivers lost his first playoff game in his first season starting

Tyrone Bigguns
08-24-2008, 05:43 PM
culpepper or kordell

Mr. Kopay, meet Mr. Stewart.

sheepshead
08-29-2008, 07:13 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/PKR07/80828160/1058/PKR01

sheepshead
08-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Ok, Im bumping this thread, but arent we going to have to make a decision here. Arent we just developing a QB for another team at some point anyway? From what I have seen neither of these guys is ready to be a number 2. There is plenty of question whether we should even keep 3 QBs on the roster. Does a 13-3 team have rookies(s) who are sucking wind thus far one hit away from calling the signals? I say we have to bite the bullet on one of these guys and get a vet in here. Somebody gets cut or sent to the practice squad.

Fritz
08-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Why not keep flynn as #2 and Brohm as #3? Then if Rodgers goes out and it's at all serious, you can sign a vet.

sheepshead
08-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Why not keep flynn as #2 and Brohm as #3? Then if Rodgers goes out and it's at all serious, you can sign a vet.

Yeah, but why take the risk. We were a QB machine in the 90's. What was the point? There is nothing to indicate either of these guys will be any good in the NFL, ever. I am all for developing QB's. Weve done it with Rodgers, but why should we try to develop 2 guys? A huge risky crap shoot in my view.

RashanGary
08-30-2008, 09:24 AM
I think if it's between having a proven loser or a guy who might develop into a winner it's best to go with the guy who has upside even if there is some short term risk.

sheepshead
08-30-2008, 09:29 AM
I think if it's between having a proven loser or a guy who might develop into a winner it's best to go with the guy who has upside even if there is some short term risk.

sure....but 2 of them?

RashanGary
08-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Right, if there is a good quarterback on the scrap heap then I'd rather have another good QB that can play. I think people are puffing the magic dragon when they are so sure there are good quarterbacks looking for teams right now. There is a good chance that the best two QB's available to us are Brohm and Flynn. Brohm was a pretty highly regarded prospect and clearly Flynn has some talent too. When you don't have the iron man, there is a price to pay. The QB position isn't perfect right now. That is part of life after Favre. People trying to find answers or 100% comfort are just dillusional. They're happy with moving forward with Rodgers. Every year there is chance to win the SB. If we don't win it this year, if we lose games becaue Rodgers goes down, we have next year, the year after and the year after. You have to keep making good choices and if you make enough good choices you'll have a lot of opportunities and with a lot of opportunities comes a higher likely hood that all of the moons will align. It's not an easy task, but there is risk involved. Soemtimes it's short term risk. Sometomes it's long term risk, but building a football team is a game of risk/reward. Those who balance it best get the most chances to win the SB and many times do win it.

sheepshead
08-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Right, if there is a good quarterback on the scrap heap then I'd rather have another good QB that can play. I think people are puffing the magic dragon when they are so sure there are good quarterbacks looking for teams right now. There is a good chance that the best two QB's available to us are Brohm and Flynn. When you don't have the iron man, there is a price to pay. The QB isn't perfect. That is part of life after Favre. People trying to find answers or comfort are just dillusional IMO.

I saw Brohm in college a little, I never saw Flynn. What I have seen so far is horrible. I have no interest in either of these guys right now. TT will sign a vet QB in my opinion from the upcoming cuts and thankfully one of these guys will be cast aside.

RashanGary
08-30-2008, 11:07 AM
I saw Brohm in college a little, I never saw Flynn. What I have seen so far is horrible. I have no interest in either of these guys right now. TT will sign a vet QB in my opinion from the upcoming cuts and thankfully one of these guys will be cast aside.

Well, it seems like you have prematurely made up your mind about something you have no expertise or knowledge in. With that, this conversation is pretty much over.

SnakeLH2006
08-31-2008, 01:02 AM

Well, it seems like you have prematurely made up your mind about something you have no expertise or knowledge in. With that, this conversation is pretty much over.

Do YOU work for ESPN? Damn.

mraynrand
08-31-2008, 01:19 AM

Do YOU work for ESPN? Damn.

Enjoy the pissing match, much?