PDA

View Full Version : Pat Williams is Making Week One Even More Interesting!

SMACKTALKIE
08-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Some Pat Williams smack talk. Obviously a biased take but coming from P.Williams makes it kind of funny. How do you guys and gals feel about it?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgR2xcvdgNZbmwrNOCZXuoBDubYF?slug=ms-trippintuesday081208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Trippin’ Tuesday: More spice to Vikes-Pack rivalry

By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports

MANKATO, Minn. – Brett Favre is gone to the Big Apple, awash in a spin cycle of helicopter tours and glorious punishment laps and stream-of-consciousness musings about his latest life turn.

Meanwhile, back in the NFC North, the nasty rivalry the ex-Green Bay legend left behind is hotter than ever.

Between the quarterback’s abortive effort to land in Minnesota and the tampering charge the Packers filed against the Vikings, who were subsequently exonerated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, there’s a lot of lingering bitterness between the two franchises. Throw in the Pack’s status as a team that finished a game away from the Super Bowl last season and the near-universal coronation of the Vikes as the NFC’s trendy power-on-the-rise, and that Sept. 8 regular-season opener at Lambeau Field can’t come soon enough.

This was confirmed Sunday when I visited the Vikings’ training camp home at Minnesota State University and asked Pro Bowl nose tackle Pat Williams whether he’d been keeping up on the Favre saga.

“Damn, that’s their problem,” Williams said. “They’re going through all that as a team, trying to figure out if Favre or (Aaron) Rodgers was the man, while we’ve got the same team we had all offseason. I’m glad they got all that darn press, ‘cause when we go down there it’ll be the kid’s first start and his first damn loss.”

Williams, a 12th-year veteran, didn’t limit his enmity to Rodgers. He’s also gunning for Packers halfback Ryan Grant, who last year was the only player to rush for more than 100 yards against Minnesota, with 119 in a 34-0 Green Bay blowout at Lambeau last November.

“I’m going to try to crush all of ‘em,” Williams said. “That’s been the focus of my whole summer – the Green Bay Packers.”

Rest assured that Williams isn’t alone. All-Pro defensive end Jared Allen, acquired by the Vikings in an April trade with the Chiefs, has his own welcome-to-the-rivalry ritual in mind for Rodgers.

“Playing Green Bay on Monday night to start the season – that’s everything you want,” Allen said. “Hopefully, I can put my helmet square in the back of his spine. If I can do that and knock the ball loose, it’ll be a good day.”

For what it’s worth, Williams believes the Packers’ decision to choose Rodgers over Favre was a great development for the Vikings.

“They had a nice year last year, but they don’t understand that Brett made those guys better than they were,” Williams said. “He has the game all figured out, and you’ve got to factor all that into the equation. Brett Favre would throw the ball when the receivers hadn’t even made their cut yet, and it would be there waiting for them. Those guys had it good.

“People think it’s the system, but it ain’t no damn system. Brett Favre just knows where his guys are going to be at all times, and I don’t think Aaron Rodgers has got that yet.”

OK, that’s enough Rodgers bashing for today. It’s time for me to take my medicine

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2008, 02:41 PM
The Vikings have been good at talking a good game for awhile.

Zool
08-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Guess Fat Pat would know what crappy QB play is like. He see's it first hand daily.

DannoMac21
08-12-2008, 02:45 PM
lmfao

I'm thinking another sweep.

sharpe1027
08-12-2008, 02:48 PM
“Hopefully, I can put my helmet square in the back of his spine.”

So he hopes he can get in an illegal hit? Good luck arguing against that fine/suspension. And the Vikings fans were all up in arms because the Packers players were bought a dinner if they kept the Vikings under 100 yards...boo hoo.

What did Jared Allen do against the Packers last year? It sounds like someone is just a little bitter. Poor guy, I hope the millions the Vikings are paying him soothes his hurting, especially if he gets owned again this year.

MOBB DEEP
08-12-2008, 02:55 PM
funny quotes

Zool
08-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Its weird how in the head of Chi and MN the Pack is. I bet they think now that Brett's gone its going to be a walk in the park. They're wrong.

SMACKTALKIE
08-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Its weird how in the head of Chi and MN the Pack is. I bet they think now that Brett's gone its going to be a walk in the park. They're wrong.

Well.......the Vikings do play the Packers week one, so the Pack is on the Vikings mind.

And no game is a walk in the park. I forsee a close, good game week one.

LL2
08-12-2008, 05:26 PM
“Damn, that’s their problem,” Williams said. “They’re going through all that as a team, trying to figure out if Favre or (Aaron) Rodgers was the man, while we’ve got the same team we had all offseason. I’m glad they got all that darn press, ‘cause when we go down there it’ll be the kid’s first start and his first damn loss.”

Rest assured that Williams isn’t alone. All-Pro defensive end Jared Allen, acquired by the Vikings in an April trade with the Chiefs, has his own welcome-to-the-rivalry ritual in mind for Rodgers.

“Playing Green Bay on Monday night to start the season – that’s everything you want,” Allen said. “Hopefully, I can put my helmet square in the back of his spine. If I can do that and knock the ball loose, it’ll be a good day.”

That MNF game is going to be great! Let them purple penis chokers talk smack. So, the kid (Rodgers) is going to get his first loss? Allen wants to put his helmet "square in the back of his (Rodgers) spine?"

We'll see who will be eating crow a month from now.

falco
08-12-2008, 05:27 PM
that just sounds plain old mean

imscott72
08-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Thank for the bulletin board material Williams you big oaf..As if our team needed any more motivation..

SkinBasket
08-12-2008, 05:34 PM

It's not really weird. They've been looking forward to this season for a decade and a half. I'm sure they imagined a hapless, directionless GB team they could beat up for a decade or two. What they're getting is a talented, deep, young, and, minus Favre's manchild outburst, focused team. Things aren't going to be as easy as they've been dreaming and I'm sure they're a little sad about that.

Freak Out
08-12-2008, 05:36 PM
I have a funny feeling that the Viking D is going to find itself in a familiar position when they play us on MNF...chasing our guys into the endzone.

RashanGary
08-12-2008, 05:38 PM
And I have a funny feeling they're not going to be so chippy about hitting someone in the spine as their RB could very well be carried off on a stretcher. That will take the "we love to hurt you" wind right out of their sails.

SkinBasket
08-12-2008, 05:39 PM
I have a funny feeling that the Viking D is going to find itself in a familiar position when they play us on MNF...chasing our guys into the endzone.

I thought you were going to say overrated. But chasing our guys into the endzone should be just as familiar.

pasquale
08-12-2008, 07:34 PM
And no game is a walk in the park. I forsee a close, good game week one.

disagree. remember november 11th, 2007? i do. good thing they have the "same team" so they can put up a goose egg.

this of course means nothing...:lol: week 1 is an entirely different animal.

Joemailman
08-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Do it again Ruvell!!!

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/joemailman25/darrendown.jpg

mission
08-12-2008, 08:18 PM
that pic never gets old joe :lol:

MJZiggy
08-12-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm looking at the crowd in that one. lol...

Iron Mike
08-12-2008, 09:25 PM
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/joemailman25/darrendown.jpg

Sharper got Martinized. :lol:

MadtownPacker
08-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Im glad his fat ass is talking crap. I hope Barnett starts firing back. He plays better angry.

I am concerned about Rodgers though. This is a tough first test. I dont want to see him getting pummeled on MNF. Just in case ARod should wear a metal plate on his back like Clint Eastwood and Bugs Bunny did. :lol:

oregonpackfan
08-12-2008, 11:54 PM
that pic never gets old joe :lol:

That picture still brings a smile to my face. :)

Tarlam!
08-13-2008, 12:08 AM
If A-Rod just plays like we've seen him play (Dallas and last MNF) the QB "weakness" Williams is predicting just isn't there.

My concern is the Packers run defense. Say what you want, Peterson takes some stopping. He's not a rookie anymore.

I'm with SmackTalkie: It'll be a close, hard fought contest. Probably be decided by a late FG.

Zool
08-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Pat's latest interview comes complete with a picture.

http://www.dangerouslyawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/purplecow.jpg

Tony Oday
08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Matin will have 2 TDs in that Game. Grant 89 Yards 1 fumble. Driver 150 2 TDs and Donald lee will have a TD.

Booya!

3irty1
08-13-2008, 12:08 PM
The way I see it the Packers only need to score 10 points to win this game and we might do that on defense. The Vikings are overrated in all aspects of the game of football. Chris Kluwe will be the most memorable part of their "offense."

Partial
08-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Ummm...

The Vikes are solid all around. I'll take AP over any player on the Packers offense. Hell, I'd trade any two straight up for AP.

Zool
08-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Ummm...

The Vikes are solid all around. I'll take AP over any player on the Packers offense. Hell, I'd trade any two straight up for AP.

Well once AP's AD status has been removed by an Al Harris hit, will you still trade for him?

rbaloha1
08-13-2008, 12:31 PM
a point.

For the record a huge BF fan (although disapprove of BF's handling of the situation) and huge supporter of AR.

BF knew how to read coverage and move safeties with eyes and pump fakes. BF's route anticipation was phenomenal. Often times BF read the coverage correctly and the receiver failed to run the proper route. BF would briefly chat with the receiver after the play then go back to the receiver quickly during the game with good results.

Clearly AR knows the primary receiver routes. AR arm strength is very good in the 10 -15 yard area. In fact maybe AR is too confident in that he does lock into the primary receiver too quickly.

The next test is how quickly AR can go through progressions if the primary receiver is covered. I have faith AR is capable but suspect AR could struggle in this area.

Overall AR should lead us into the playoffs. Anything less is a disappointment.

The next progression for

Fritz
08-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Let 'em talk. It's part of the fun.

DonHutson
08-13-2008, 12:54 PM
I have no doubt that other teams will be skeptical about Rodgers until he proves otherwise. I'm a little surprised that so many players are being publically vocal about it. Do they think they can rattle him, or are they just sick of hearing about all the Favre/Rodgers drama?

Or maybe all first time starters get bashed like this and I just don't remember what that's like? I don't think that's the case.

Oh well. Williams and company in week one. Crayton a few weeks later. Just keep setting them up and knocking them down.

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Clearly AR knows the primary receiver routes. AR arm strength is very good in the 10 -15 yard area. In fact maybe AR is too confident in that he does lock into the primary receiver too quickly.

There will be growing pains, but ARod is not a normal first year starter. Everybody talks about him locking onto the primary receiver now, but that's because those guys were open. Dude should have been 11 of 15, and that's with two throwaways and two bad throws. Clearly, he went to the right guys. Sure, he locked receivers at times, but I also saw some veteran moves on his part. On the TD to Jones, he looked left and then came back to the right. I also saw another play where he did that.

Two things worry me about ARod: his ability to pick up blitzes and his ability to stay healthy. After the snap, I think he has more than enough tools (arm strength, accuracy, escapability, and the mental accuity) to succeed.

3irty1
08-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Ummm...

That's retarded.

SMACKTALKIE
08-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Ummm...

Well once AP's AD status has been removed by an Al Harris hit, will you still trade for him?

Careful with all those stones you are throwing.....you have a starting QB with a history of injuries. If AD can't play the Vikes can bring in Chet to run. If A Rod can't play the Pack can bring in..........Brohm? Flynn?

Zool
08-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Ummm...

Careful with all those stones you are throwing.....you have a starting QB with a history of injuries. If AD can't play the Vikes can bring in Chet to run. If A Rod can't play the Pack can bring in..........Brohm? Flynn?

Ahhh its all in the rivalry. I've been on your side of the border a good portion of my life and had to deal with the 80's. If Tons O Fun can start talkin some shit, i can too.

Pacopete4
08-13-2008, 01:28 PM
If the Packers need any bulletin board material to be able to go out and try to put an ass whooping on the Vikings then we are in trouble this season..

LP
08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
All-Pro defensive end Jared Allen, acquired by the Vikings in an April trade with the Chiefs, has his own welcome-to-the-rivalry ritual in mind for Rodgers.

Seeing how Rodgers is in his 4th year in Green Bay and Allen is in his first with the Minnesota Girlymen, I think AR will be doing the "welcome to the rivalry" thing.

Tarlam!
08-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Ummm...

That's retarded.

Why? I fully support Partial's view. I'd trade A-Rod and Jennings for AP in a millisecond.

Freak Out
Two things worry me about ARod: his ability to pick up blitzes and his ability to stay healthy. After the snap, I think he has more than enough tools (arm strength, accuracy, escapability, and the mental acuity) to succeed.

I thought it was pretty clear that the Bengals were blitzing on the play he was sacked early on so that's on him as much as it is Jackson...he should have told him to pay attention...but I think as long as he stays healthy he'll grow throughout the season and just get better and better. He should be able to pick apart that Viking secondary with the group of WRs we have...as long as he's not on his back.

3irty1
All-Pro defensive end Jared Allen, acquired by the Vikings in an April trade with the Chiefs, has his own welcome-to-the-rivalry ritual in mind for Rodgers.

Seeing how Rodgers is in his 4th year in Green Bay and Allen is in his first with the Minnesota Girlymen, I think AR will be doing the "welcome to the rivalry" thing.

Oh I'm sure he said it with a smile on his face. Allen is not a bad guy. He was probably just drunk.

Freak Out
08-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Ummm...

That's retarded.

Why? I fully support Partial's view. I'd trade A-Rod and Jennings for AP in a millisecond.

Maybe before #4 was traded. :lol:

SMACKTALKIE
08-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Ummm...

Ahhh its all in the rivalry. I've been on your side of the border a good portion of my life and had to deal with the 80's. If Tons O Fun can start talkin some shit, i can too.

Yes, and my favorite rivalry it is. PW is always talking so the banter will continue here too I'm sure.

Tarlam!
08-13-2008, 01:36 PM

I think AP is that good. I'd do the trade right now. Then, I'd throw Brohm into the fire or, try and get Simms from the Bucs.

But I do resent the term "retarded" to a post, even if the post is disagreeable.

Zool
08-13-2008, 01:42 PM
But I do resent the term "retarded" to a post, even if the post is disagreeable.

Even if the 2 guys are friends?

3irty1
08-13-2008, 01:44 PM

I think AP is that good. I'd do the trade right now. Then, I'd throw Brohm into the fire or, try and get Simms from the Bucs.

Sorry for offending you and anyone else. Seems like an outrageous statement to me.

AP is a good runner yes but its not hard to make an argument that he's overrated.

Tarlam!
08-13-2008, 01:47 PM

Even if the 2 guys are friends?

No, not then. Then I think it's funny!

Tarlam!
08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Sorry for offending you and anyone else. Seems like an outrageous statement to me.

AP is a good runner yes but its not hard to make an argument that he's overrated.

Forget it, 31!

I think AP is the best runner of the modern game. But that might just be me! At any rate, I think he's worth Jennings and A-Rod in a trade, easily. That amounts to a late first and second round pick. I think AP is worth more than that, frankly.

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2008, 01:59 PM
I think AP is the best runner of the modern game. But that might just be me! At any rate, I think he's worth Jennings and A-Rod in a trade, easily. That amounts to a late first and second round pick. I think AP is worth more than that, frankly.

I think I'd rather have a staring lineup of Rodgers, Jennings, and Grant over Brohm, Jones, and Peterson.

Tarlam!
08-13-2008, 02:02 PM
I think I'd rather have a staring lineup of Rodgers, Jennings, and Grant over Brohm, Jones, and Peterson.

I can see your point, but I disagree with it.

I think Peterson gives both Brohm and Jones the honesty from the defense they both need to really shine.

SMACKTALKIE
08-13-2008, 02:04 PM

Good. I don't forsee AD becoming a Packer soon. This is a debate that should be discussed half way through the season.

3irty1
08-13-2008, 04:31 PM

I don't think I'd want to give them Rodgers and Jennings when Taylor can do just as good behind their line.

3irty1
08-13-2008, 04:31 PM

I don't think I'd want to give them Rodgers and Jennings when Taylor can do almost as good behind their line.

mission
08-13-2008, 06:49 PM

I don't think I'd want to give them Rodgers and Jennings when Taylor can do almost as good behind their line.

Good point.

I wont argue that AP is Top 2 in the league at his position (and you could argue for #1) but a team's offense will account for X amount of yards for the year. Someone has to get those yards ...

I didn't see his record-setting performance get them into the playoffs or anything so first things first, OK ... ? Until he's the game changer that actually creates huge dominance for his team then I cant justify giving up the farm for him... Rodgers and Jennings? I don't think I'd do it ... running back is just too much of a here today, gone tomorrow position.

SnakeLH2006
08-14-2008, 03:14 AM
Some Pat Williams smack talk. Obviously a biased take but coming from P.Williams makes it kind of funny. How do you guys and gals feel about it?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgR2xcvdgNZbmwrNOCZXuoBDubYF?slug=ms-trippintuesday081208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

MANKATO, Minn. – Brett Favre is gone to the Big Apple, awash in a spin cycle of helicopter tours and glorious punishment laps and stream-of-consciousness musings about his latest life turn.

Meanwhile, back in the NFC North, the nasty rivalry the ex-Green Bay legend left behind is hotter than ever.

Between the quarterback’s abortive effort to land in Minnesota and the tampering charge the Packers filed against the Vikings, who were subsequently exonerated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, there’s a lot of lingering bitterness between the two franchises. Throw in the Pack’s status as a team that finished a game away from the Super Bowl last season and the near-universal coronation of the Vikes as the NFC’s trendy power-on-the-rise, and that Sept. 8 regular-season opener at Lambeau Field can’t come soon enough.

This was confirmed Sunday when I visited the Vikings’ training camp home at Minnesota State University and asked Pro Bowl nose tackle Pat Williams whether he’d been keeping up on the Favre saga.

Williams, a 12th-year veteran, didn’t limit his enmity to Rodgers. He’s also gunning for Packers halfback Ryan Grant, who last year was the only player to rush for more than 100 yards against Minnesota, with 119 in a 34-0 Green Bay blowout at Lambeau last November.

“I’m going to try to crush all of ‘em,” Williams said. “That’s been the focus of my whole summer – the Green Bay Packers.”

For what it’s worth, Williams believes the Packers’ decision to choose Rodgers over Favre was a great development for the Vikings.

“They had a nice year last year, but they don’t understand that Brett made those guys better than they were,” Williams said. “He has the game all figured out, and you’ve got to factor all that into the equation. Brett Favre would throw the ball when the receivers hadn’t even made their cut yet, and it would be there waiting for them. Those guys had it good.

“People think it’s the system, but it ain’t no damn system. Brett Favre just knows where his guys are going to be at all times, and I don’t think Aaron Rodgers has got that yet.”

OK, that’s enough Rodgers bashing for today. It’s time for me to take my medicine

I booked a 2008 boat party under Pat William's name. Done Deal. On Lock.

SMACKTALKIE
08-14-2008, 10:58 AM

Just make sure you ID any date Mark Chumura hooks you up with for the party.

That way you can avoid any bogus charges brought against you. :roll:

Chevelle2
08-14-2008, 11:05 AM

I lived in the same neighborhood as Chewy when that whole thing went down. The general sentiment is that the girl made the whole thing up.

You should probably stick to talking about things you are more knowledgeable about.

Partial
08-14-2008, 11:06 AM

How? Despite his injuries he has shown to be consistently one of the best in everything he has done, from HS to the pros now. In his first year in the pros, he was the biggest playmaker in the NFL. He was a threat to hit the home run every play.

He's a straight up stud. Best player in the NFC north by far.

Maxie the Taxi
08-14-2008, 11:06 AM
If TT wanted Peterson, he could have traded up to get him. Anyone watching film of the guy in college knew he was head and shoulders above Marshawn Lynch or any of the rest. I don't think Lynch was even a high priority in the Packers' draft. TT and MM think you don't need to spend a high draft choice on a RB given their zone blocking scheme.

Partial
08-14-2008, 11:07 AM

I don't think I'd want to give them Rodgers and Jennings when Taylor can do just as good behind their line.

WHAT?!? When did Taylor command 9 men in the box every play?!? Give me a break. He set the all-time record for yards in a game, and was virtually unstoppable when healthy. Dude is a straight up stud.

BallHawk
08-14-2008, 11:16 AM

WHAT?!? When did Taylor command 9 men in the box every play?!? Give me a break. He set the all-time record for yards in a game, and was virtually unstoppable when healthy. Dude is a straight up stud.

Taylor rushed for 1200 yards in '06. That's the numbers that you need to win. Obviously, AP is bigger talent than Chester, but AP is not "by far" the best player in the NFC North. If you look in games where RBs were "shut down" AP was shut down 6 times (under 75 yards, 0 TDs) But then again he has games like he did against Chicago and San Diego where he just makes you awe at him. I'm not going to crown him the best player in the NFC North until he does it for another year. Just like I'm not going to crown Grant Top 10 RB until he does it for another year.

Partial
08-14-2008, 11:18 AM

Taylor rushed for 1200 yards in '06. That's the numbers that you need to win. Obviously, AP is bigger talent than Chester, but AP is not "by far" the best player in the NFC North. If you look in games where RBs were "shut down" AP was shut down 6 times (under 75 yards, 0 TDs) But then again he has games like he did against Chicago and San Diego where he just makes you awe at him. I'm not going to crown him the best player in the NFC North until he does it for another year. Just like I'm not going to crown Grant Top 10 RB until he does it for another year.

What player in better in the NFC North? The Packers best player is probably Clifton or Chuck. The Lions have my boys Kitna and Roy Williams, but I'm not convinced. The Bears have Tommie Harris, who is a stud. The Vikes? AP, Allen and the Williams.

That tells me the Vikes could be scary good.

SMACKTALKIE
08-14-2008, 11:28 AM

I lived in the same neighborhood as Chewy when that whole thing went down. The general sentiment is that the girl made the whole thing up.

You should probably stick to talking about things you are more knowledgeable about.

Ahhh the old he said, she said. Who cares, just like the boat scandall, it's only the public sentiment that matters. So I will continue to bring up the Chewy thing.....over and over, despite not living near him.

Zool
08-14-2008, 11:30 AM
You seem overly focused on other teams. Why not look at the Pack for a while and find out where they are good?

Chevelle2
08-14-2008, 11:33 AM

Ahhh the old he said, she said. Who cares, just like the boat scandall, it's only the public sentiment that matters. So I will continue to bring up the Chewy thing.....over and over, despite not living near him.

Ah gotcha, guess you don't believe in the US judicial system - innocent until proven guilty.

SMACKTALKIE
08-14-2008, 11:35 AM

Ah gotcha, guess you don't believe in the US judicial system - innocent until proven guilty.

Or in some cases, guilty despite being proved innocent. That example does not include OJ. :lol:

Chevelle2
08-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Oh, so you know that Chewy is guilty huh?

SMACKTALKIE
08-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Oh, so you know that Chewy is guilty huh?

No, I don't know/care about the particulars of the Chewy case. Much like you and the Vikings boat scandall. I'm saying, due to public sentiment, an innocent verdict means nothing.

Partial
08-14-2008, 11:54 AM
You seem overly focused on other teams. Why not look at the Pack for a while and find out where they are good?

Are you referring to me? I did point out their best players. They have a top 3 player at CB and a top 5 at LT. They could have had a top 3 QB (the most important position) as well.

BallHawk
08-14-2008, 11:56 AM

Are you referring to me? I did point out their best players. They have a top 3 player at CB and a top 5 at LT. They could have had a top 3 QB (the most important position) as well.

You think Favre would of been a top 3 QB this year? No way.

SMACKTALKIE
08-14-2008, 11:57 AM

Why not a top 3? Looked it last year.

Partial
08-14-2008, 11:58 AM

Source?? Last year he was straight up dazzling. I don't know how you can possibly infer that based on nothing.

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2008, 11:59 AM
He's 39 and wasn't committed in the offseason. He was dazzling last year, but was average in 2006 and bad in 2005. Odds are against him repeating last year. We'll see what he does in New York, and then revisit this issue after the season.

Partial
08-14-2008, 12:00 PM
He's 39 and wasn't committed in the offseason. He was dazzling last year, but was average in 2006 and bad in 2005. Odds are against him repeating last year. We'll see what he does in New York, and then revisit this issue after the season.

He is consistently great. When the talent around any great player is bad, that player looks bad. If their is one thing we've learned from Favre its that he's consistent. The 39 argument is dumb. He was 38 last year!!! Age is irrelevant. Do you suddenly have a huge drop off from 38 to 39?!? Why limit it to recent history when Favre has shown that he is an ageless wonder? He has been great to spectacular 12 of the last 13 years. The one when he was average was when our talent was the poorest in the NFL.

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2008, 12:04 PM
If their is one thing we've learned from Favre its that he's consistent.

you gotta be kidding me. the one factor that keeps Favre from being considered one of the all-time bests (in many peoples minds) is that he layed so many eggs in big games. Favre has been very inconsistenet in the playoffs. Compare him to Montana.

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2008, 12:05 PM
He is consistently great. When the talent around any great player is bad, that player looks bad. If their is one thing we've learned from Favre its that he's consistent. The 39 argument is dumb. He was 38 last year!!! Age is irrelevant. Do you suddenly have a huge drop off from 38 to 39?!?

At some point, it will happen. The odds increase every year. The fact he had zero commitment this offseason increase the chances further. He hasn't been great every year. That's just Favre worship. He was bad in 2005. He was bad in 1993. He was average in 2006. He was average in 1999. Favre hasn't played great every year. Favre has nice weapons in New York with Coles, Cotchery, Chris Baker, Thomas Jones, and a talented OL. He should play well in New York. His defense might keep the Jets from winning games, but if he doesn't play well, it's on him.

Chevelle2
08-14-2008, 12:05 PM

He is consistently great. When the talent around any great player is bad, that player looks bad. If their is one thing we've learned from Favre its that he's consistent. The 39 argument is dumb. He was 38 last year!!! Age is irrelevant. Do you suddenly have a huge drop off from 38 to 39?!?

Actually, many players have been known to drop off in just one year.

Also, what makes you think that he can do the same without all of the offseason training he did in 07?

Partial
08-14-2008, 12:06 PM

you gotta be kidding me. the one factor that keeps Favre from being considered one of the all-time bests (in many peoples minds) is that he layed so many eggs in big games. Favre has been very inconsistenet in the playoffs. Compare him to Montana.

He has consistently had half the talent and half the healthy players around him that Montana consistently had in the playoffs. Swap Favre and Montana and how many times do the Packers make the playoffs? Maybe half of what they did?!? 2/3 maybe?

Chevelle2
08-14-2008, 12:06 PM

He has consistently had half the talent and half the healthy players around him that Montana consistently had in the playoffs. Swap Favre and Montana and how many times do the Packers make the playoffs? Maybe half of what they did?!? 2/3 maybe?

Please, Favre 90s and early 2000 teams were loaded.

Partial
08-14-2008, 12:08 PM

Really? What about 2002 when the team was stacked and an odds on favorite to win the super bowl but was at half health for the playoffs? What about 3 straight NFC championship appearances when the teams are stacked?!? Only one team wins the super bowl remember. Favre played bad against a stacked St. Louis team that went to the Super Bowl. Whoopee.

Chevelle2
08-14-2008, 12:11 PM

Really? What about 2002 when the team was stacked and an odds on favorite to win the super bowl but was at half health for the playoffs? What about 3 straight NFC championship appearances when the teams are stacked?!? Only one team wins the super bowl remember. Favre played bad against a stacked St. Louis team that went to the Super Bowl. Whoopee.

@Dallas: 2 interceptions in a tight game
Denver: 2 TOs in a tight game
@san fransisco: 2 interceptions in a tight game
at stl: 6 interceptions
ATL: 2 interceptions
MIN: 4 interceptions
@phil: hail mary int
NYG: 2 interceptions

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2008, 12:12 PM

I'm not gonna say Montana is better or worse than Favre.

I'm just taking issue with your claim that Favre was "consistent." Anybody who watched both of these guys play know that Montana was MUCH steadier.

Have you forgotton Favre's 5-interception playoff games?

Chevelle2
08-14-2008, 12:13 PM

I'm not gonna say Montana is better or worse than Favre.

I'm just taking issue with your claim that Favre was "consistent." Anybody who watched both of these guys play know that Montana was MUCH steadier.

Have you forgotton Favre's 5-interception playoff games?

It was 6.

Maxie the Taxi
08-14-2008, 12:13 PM
And what about Favre's adventures in Dallas?

Partial
08-14-2008, 12:16 PM

You guys act like we were the better team that went in as a heavy favorite and laid a goose egg. Favre executed the coaches instructions to go for the big hit to the T. Can't help it coach wasn't smart enough to realize they'd be double covered.

Maxie the Taxi
08-14-2008, 12:17 PM

You guys act like we were the better team that went in as a heavy favorite and laid a goose egg. Favre executed the coaches instructions to go for the big hit to the T. Can't help it coach wasn't smart enough to realize they'd be double covered.

Don't you mean triple-covered?

Chevelle2
08-14-2008, 12:19 PM

Don't you mean triple-covered?

Favre's two interceptions in that game were pathetic. How the hell you get picked off on a screen pass deep in your own territory by Leon Lett is beyond me.

And, Maxie the Taxi is correct. The second pick was to a triple covered Morgan. Chmura was open in the flat for a 3 yard gain. We were driving too, into Dallas territory, clock ticking.

BallHawk
08-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Partial, do you think Favre can be just as good as he was last season, even if he didn't condition or train for months? He's getting older and the older you get the harder you've got to work to get on the same level as the younger guys. He's 39, his arm is getting more fatigued. I don't even expect a Pro-Bowl year from Favre, yet alone top 3.

Partial
08-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Partial, do you think Favre can be just as good as he was last season, even if he didn't condition or train for months? He's getting older and the older you get the harder you've got to work to get on the same level as the younger guys. He's 39, his arm is getting more fatigued. I don't even expect a Pro-Bowl year from Favre, yet alone top 3.

Yes I do. We have no idea what sort of shape he's in. I know that it doesn't take very long to get back into game shape, though.

Last year, he was 38, and his arm was getting fatigued too. So what? That happens in camp.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-14-2008, 03:35 PM

Yes I do. We have no idea what sort of shape he's in. I know that it doesn't take very long to get back into game shape, though.

Last year, he was 38, and his arm was getting fatigued too. So what? That happens in camp.

If it doesn't take long, then why did he hire/we hire a trainer to work with him in the offseason?

The facts betray you.

mission
08-14-2008, 03:37 PM

And how the fuck do you know that?

You are hilarious. Isn't your breaktime up at CVS? Get back to the counter.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-14-2008, 03:55 PM

And how the fuck do you know that?

You are hilarious. Isn't your breaktime up at CVS? Get back to the counter.

CVS wouldn't hire him. He works at the dollar store. Less rigorous when dispensing change.

3irty1
08-14-2008, 04:09 PM
How? Despite his injuries he has shown to be consistently one of the best in everything he has done, from HS to the pros now. In his first year in the pros, he was the biggest playmaker in the NFL. He was a threat to hit the home run every play.

He's a straight up stud. Best player in the NFC north by far.

He may be a good runner but he's clearly not the one-man offense you think he is. For every spectacular game he also had terrible one. After Peterson got injured, Taylor stepped in and did just as well. Maybe Steve Hutchinson is the best player in the NFC North.

Iron Mike
09-08-2008, 10:45 PM

I notice you're nowhere to be found to take your medicine. :roll: