PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers' leadership

Brando19
08-13-2008, 11:57 AM
I was reviewing the preseason game. Did anyone notice when Rodgers was sacked, he stared down B-Jack as he was going down b/c he missed the block. Rodgers seems to be doing a good job of letting players know when they mess up or do good. He also said the INT of Brohm's wasn't his fault...the WR ran a wrong route. Check out the stare down of BJack I'm talking about....around the 35 second mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmhO9KPFNhE

GoPackGo
08-13-2008, 12:58 PM
I saw it, It was a scowl. Rodgers was pissed.

Fritz
08-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Did anybody see where after the James Jones TD, Rodgers looked at Jones, licked his lips seductively and rubbed his crotch in a circular motion?

Now that's leadership!

Brando19
08-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Did anybody see where after the James Jones TD, Rodgers looked at Jones, licked his lips seductively and rubbed his crotch in a circular motion?

Now that's leadership!

I did see that....but that's only b/c TT told him to do that....TT gets his gay kicks that way.

Tarlam!
08-13-2008, 01:53 PM

Now that's leadership!

I am watiching the replay tomorrow and I hope they didn't edit this! I wanna see it with my own eyes!! :shock:

cpk1994
08-13-2008, 02:01 PM

Now that's leadership!

I did see that....but that's only b/c TT told him to do that....TT gets his gay kicks that way.Its a good thing Tank isn't here as this would just be giving him ammo.

The Gunshooter
08-13-2008, 02:13 PM

Now that's leadership!

I am watiching the replay tomorrow and I hope they didn't edit this! I wanna see it with my own eyes!! :shock:

You know what else he did? He held up 4 fingers and mooned the camera.

channtheman
08-13-2008, 03:51 PM
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o68/channing321/arodscowl.jpg

Damn Rodgers really stared him down.

Fritz
08-13-2008, 03:57 PM
I think the caption should read "Hand me the kY Jelly, will ya?"

mission
08-13-2008, 04:17 PM
I think A-Rod is going to be a great leader, but that was NOT one of his finer moments in leadership.

If someone really needs further explanation here I can give it to them, but I know there are some leaders on this forum and if you applied any John C. Maxwell/Dale Carnegie principals to that situation, it wouldn't have been handled like that.

I cringed when I saw A-Rod's reaction on TV ... there are better ways.

And I'm convinced A-Rod will nail it with MM's help... he was great on the sideline, staying involved with the younger quarterbacks, saying and doing all the right things.

But he had a couple leadership lapses...

The Gunshooter
08-13-2008, 04:22 PM
GB can expect that same blitz again against MN when Jackson is in there.

Noodle
08-13-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm with Mission on this. The problem is that the dude feels so much pressure to do well, if he doesn't, it's only natural that he'll look to put blame somewhere else. But that's not good leadership.

He's got to understand that it was his job to know where the pressure was coming and to get the ball out quick. NFL players do not need to get stared down when they blow a play. They know it better than anyone, and they know it's going to be a major focus of film day.

Wouldn't it have been better to slap B-Jack on the hinder, tell him they both missed that, and pump him up to next time drill the mfer?

One good thing I liked was that when DD stoned that easy catch early, A-Rod went right back to him. That's the way you do it.

Gunakor
08-13-2008, 04:42 PM
I think A-Rod is going to be a great leader, but that was NOT one of his finer moments in leadership.

If someone really needs further explanation here I can give it to them, but I know there are some leaders on this forum and if you applied any John C. Maxwell/Dale Carnegie principals to that situation, it wouldn't have been handled like that.

And I'm convinced A-Rod will nail it with MM's help... he was great on the sideline, staying involved with the younger quarterbacks, saying and doing all the right things.

The thing is, though, that Jackson should have known better. And the look Rodgers gave him was a "You should have known better" look. Sometimes you gotta be tough on the guys to get results. It's about winning football games, not making friends. Ego's be damned. Jackson will be better for it anyway. So will the team. At least they know that their QB will hold them accountable for mistakes, as well he should. It doesn't matter whether it's preseason or the Super Bowl.

Hopefully Jackson remembers that stare. He certainly won't want to see that again, so hopefully he'll remember it and be sure not to make that mistake again. Call it tough love or whatever. Point is, being nice and friendly and understanding isn't always the best way to get results. Sometimes you just have to say "I don't give a fuck, you know better. Don't do it again." Rodgers said all of that without speaking a word.

Besides, Jackson had a pretty good day after that. I'd say he responded pretty well to Rodgers. As did the #1 offense as a whole. The results came, so I'd say he handled it okay.

Wasn't there recently another QB in a Green Bay uniform that would routinely scowl and yell at young players when they made mistakes in a game? I don't recall anybody questioning his leadership ability...

mission
08-13-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm with Mission on this. The problem is that the dude feels so much pressure to do well, if he doesn't, it's only natural that he'll look to put blame somewhere else. But that's not good leadership.

He's got to understand that it was his job to know where the pressure was coming and to get the ball out quick. NFL players do not need to get stared down when they blow a play. They know it better than anyone, and they know it's going to be a major focus of film day.

Wouldn't it have been better to slap B-Jack on the hinder, tell him they both missed that, and pump him up to next time drill the mfer?

One good thing I liked was that when DD stoned that easy catch early, A-Rod went right back to him. That's the way you do it.

Great post. Accountability.

A leader looks at that situation and thinks: "i know Bjack is not our starting RB and is known to have some pass blocking lapses, i *need* to be able to see that blitz coming sooner in the pre-snap read and call/point it out to confirm assignments"

As a leader, when someone on your team falls short of an assignment, especially in a pressure situation, there's almost always something you could have done to set your teammate up in a position to succeed that you didnt.

When one of my employees fails, I feel it's my fault due to a lack of education. Yeah you might have TOLD someone to do something and how to do it, but apparently you werent effective enough to create the proper action. Communicating and communicating effectively are two different things. Outcomes need to have positive results and regardless of the circumstances and surprises, those results are my responsibility.

All this said, I see a lot more leader in Rodgers at this point than Favre. Favre is fun and this and that, but he didnt seem to really care what anyone else on the team was doing ... just do his job and give some guys some ass slaps if needed.

Rodgers is gonna be good.

The Gunshooter
08-13-2008, 04:46 PM

Isn't Jackson supposed to make sure everyone is accounted for before he runs his little dump off pattern?

mission
08-13-2008, 04:47 PM

The thing is, though, that Jackson should have known better. And the look Rodgers gave him was a "You should have known better" look. Sometimes you gotta be tough on the guys to get results. It's about winning football games, not making friends. Ego's be damned. Jackson will be better for it anyway. So will the team. At least they know that their QB will hold them accountable for mistakes, as well he should. It doesn't matter whether it's preseason or the Super Bowl.

Hopefully Jackson remembers that stare. He certainly won't want to see that again, so hopefully he'll remember it and be sure not to make that mistake again. Call it tough love or whatever. Point is, being nice and friendly and understanding isn't always the best way to get results. Sometimes you just have to say "I don't give a fuck, you know better. Don't do it again." Rodgers said all of that without speaking a word.

Besides, Jackson had a pretty good day after that. I'd say he responded pretty well to Rodgers. As did the #1 offense as a whole. The results came, so I'd say he handled it okay.

Wasn't there recently another QB in a Green Bay uniform that would routinely scowl and yell at young players when they made mistakes in a game? I don't recall anybody questioning his leadership ability...

You must not have read any of my posts over the last two years then ...

I definitely have ...

"He should have known better" is a non-leader way to look at the situation. I'm not trying to belittle you, Im just saying, there are rules and guidelines to leadership and it's pretty cut and dry ... simple.

I am the leader. I am responsible. There is almost always some more I could have done or communicated.

Some people won't get this but true accountability is the first step in leadership.

The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. It's a great book, I've gave away probably 50+ copies ... Pick it up! It will help your family and anything else you're in charge of ...

Noodle
08-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Isn't Jackson supposed to make sure everyone is accounted for before he runs his little dump off pattern?

Yes, and I'm not excusing him for missing the block, if in fact it was his assignment (which I don't know for sure).

But Jackson's error was in getting caught up inside in the mess and not keeping his head up to make sure he chipped the blitzer. He didn't screw up by running a littler flare and leaving no one home.

Or did you see something I missed?

Gunakor
08-13-2008, 04:52 PM

When you have a guy coming unblocked when he should be blocked, you don't have a whole lot of time. The problem on that play was that Rodgers expected Jackson to pick up the blitzer and Jackson didn't do it. Obviously he'd have had more time if Jackson had done his job. There's no way of knowing whether Rodgers had read the blitz or not because JACKSON missed the block. He may have saw the damn thing and expected it to be picked up. Or at the very least, that Jackson would try to get in the way so Rodgers would have a half second to step up or throw the ball away. That was like 2 seconds. The guy came absolutely untouched on Rodgers' blind side. Protect your QB Mr. Jackson and he won't stare you down anymore.

Gunakor
08-13-2008, 04:57 PM
You must not have read any of my posts over the last two years then ...

I definitely have ...

"He should have known better" is a non-leader way to look at the situation. I'm not trying to belittle you, Im just saying, there are rules and guidelines to leadership and it's pretty cut and dry ... simple.

I am the leader. I am responsible. There is almost always some more I could have done or communicated.

Some people won't get this but true accountability is the first step in leadership.

The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. It's a great book, I've gave away probably 50+ copies ... Pick it up! It will help your family and anything else you're in charge of ...

This is the first season I've spent on this forum, so you are right in that I haven't seen your posts from the previous 2 seasons.

All I'm saying is that Jackson was protecting Rodgers' blind side... Rodgers couldn't see the blitzer coming. He might have even read the blitz pre-snap and called it out, while Jackson simply missed his assignment. That could easily explain the staredown. As in, "I told you he was coming and you ignored him anyway, shame on you and don't do it again."

I don't know, but what I saw suggested that Rodgers did in fact know he was coming and had communicated that to Jackson. Jackson fucked up, not because he was overpowered but because he didn't even try. Wouldn't you have gotten a little ticked off at him too if you were in Rodgers shoes?

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2008, 05:05 PM

I think he's done a good job of not blaming others. Listen to his press conference after the game. Textbook answers. It's not like he's never going to show emotions out there. Brett was a great leader, but he wasn't afraid to show his displeasure at times. I think it's up to the leader to figure out which guys needs a kick in the ass (tough love) and which guys need a pat on the back (support).

GoPackGo
08-13-2008, 05:08 PM
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. It's a great book, I've gave away probably 50+ copies ...

Do you have any more copies lying around? Send it to me :)

The Gunshooter
08-13-2008, 05:10 PM

Yes, and I'm not excusing him for missing the block, if in fact it was his assignment (which I don't know for sure).

But Jackson's error was in getting caught up inside in the mess and not keeping his head up to make sure he chipped the blitzer. He didn't screw up by running a littler flare and leaving no one home.

His job is to block first and then belly out to the flat as a safety valve.

If Jackson can't figure it out he will not be on the team very long. All he has to do is stand up at the snap and SEE.

mission
08-13-2008, 05:12 PM
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. It's a great book, I've gave away probably 50+ copies ...

Do you have any more copies lying around? Send it to me :)

Just my own.

I went from doing leadership development for a living to the character you all think you know now ... quite a change in daily lifestyle but I don't regret it at all. So my "boxes of books" isn't really around anymore.

It made me money at one point in my life to force that book into hands ... now it just keeps my music team running smoothly.

Go to a half priced book store... you'll find it (along with a lot of other team building books by Maxwell) for nothing! If you don't think its brilliant, I'll paypal you $15 to cover it :wink:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Just paypal me the money now...ty can guarantee he won't find it brilliant. :wink:

PM me for my email addy.

mission
08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Just paypal me the money now...ty can guarantee he won't find it brilliant. :wink:

PM me for my email addy.

No problem. There is a service/handling fee of $30 for the free book. Hit me with that first and we'll send the book right out ... USPS.

Fritz
08-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Oooh, Ty. He got ya.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-13-2008, 06:22 PM

PM me for my email addy.

No problem. There is a service/handling fee of $30 for the free book. Hit me with that first and we'll send the book right out ... USPS.

Huh. Just purchased it from used bookstore. Rubbish.

Contacting atty as Mission is attempting to extricate himself from agreement.

mission
08-13-2008, 07:05 PM

PM me for my email addy.

Hello!!!

'Edit post' ?!?!

No evidence... carry on. Mission dominates his court appearance once again :wink:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-13-2008, 07:20 PM

PM me for my email addy.

Hello!!!

'Edit post' ?!?!

No evidence... carry on. Mission dominates his court appearance once again :wink:

Hello "screen capture."

Game, Set, Match.

Please send money asap.

mission
08-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Fuckin good one.

I'm gonna have to play the Photoshop angle on this one. It's plausible.

</stretch>

Tyrone Bigguns
08-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Fuckin good one.

</stretch>

Hmm...just screen captured that statement.

Price of guarantee now up to 20. Please send pronto.

mission
08-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Fuckin good one.

</stretch>

You sonofabitch (I knew you were gonna go there)

I concede (whoa).

Joemailman
08-13-2008, 07:52 PM

His job is to block first and then belly out to the flat as a safety valve.

If Jackson can't figure it out he will not be on the team very long. All he has to do is stand up at the snap and SEE.

The reason they play meaningless preseason games is so that things like this can get ironed out. I'm sure it's been a major topic of discussion in the film room. I wouldn't worry too much about Jackson messing this up again.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Fuckin good one.

</stretch>

You sonofabitch (I knew you were gonna go there)

I concede (whoa).

If by concede you mean paypaling i'll call off my atty.
:wink:

SnakeLH2006
08-14-2008, 03:08 AM

Now that's leadership!

I did see that....but that's only b/c TT told him to do that....TT gets his gay kicks that way.

Thank god the boy tied up in TT's basement doesn't get to see ESPN or he'd weep. :shock: