PDA

View Full Version : Defense aims for elite status:

RashanGary
08-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Defense aims for elite status
Mike Vandermause column:
August 14, 2008
packersnews.com (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080814/PKR07/80814151/1058/PKR01&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL)

When asked how good the Green Bay Packers’ defense can be this season, linebacker Nick Barnett initially said “top five” in the National Football League.

Coach Mike McCarthy had even higher aspirations when he said Thursday the Packers were capable of reaching the “top three.”

Not to be outdone, Barnett reconsidered: “With God on our side, and health issues and communication I think we could be the best defense in the NFL.”

Talk about great expectations.

Such lofty goals might put most defensive coordinators on the hot seat. But Packers defensive leader Bob Sanders remains unfazed.

“We’ve got to do it, talking about it doesn’t mean anything,” said the unflappable Sanders.

On a national scale, the Packers aren’t mentioned when dominating defenses are discussed. That’s just fine with the players in the Green Bay locker room.

“That’s a great thing,” said cornerback Al Harris. “I hope we fly under the radar. I hope everybody underestimates us. Nobody thinks that we can apply pressure to the passer.”

There’s a quiet confidence among players and coaches that the Packers’ defense could be something special. No one is tossing out the term “great” just yet, but there’s no question the bar is being raised.

McCarthy sounded the first warning shot at the shareholders’ meeting last month when he said his 2008 team would be centered around the defense. With the departure of longtime quarterback Brett Favre, it was thought McCarthy was attempting to take some pressure off Aaron Rodgers and the offense.

The coach clarified his philosophy following practice on Thursday.

“We have more experience on defense than we have on offense, so I really like the makeup of our players as far as their ability that matches the scheme,” he said. “I’m really excited about our defense.”

The Packers were a somewhat disappointing 11th in the NFL last season based on yards allowed. But Sanders points to a No. 3 ranking in third-down conversions and No. 6 position in points allowed as more telling statistics.

Harris and Aaron Kampman were invited to the Pro Bowl last season, and Barnett and Charles Woodson arguably could have made it. But overall depth is what could make this unit stand out.

“What this defense is really all about is 11 guys working hard, consistently showing up for games, and not stopping until the whistle blows,” said Barnett.

A rash of injuries on the line could derail the best-laid plans. Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Ryan Pickett and Justin Harrell have yet to be heard from in training camp.

Even without their services, the No. 1 defense didn’t allow a first down against the Cincinnati Bengals in the preseason opener.

“Our guys came out fast and physical, but it was just three series,” cautioned Sanders, who takes nothing for granted.

“We’ve got a good group. We have a chance to be a really good defense. I’m excited about that.”

RashanGary
08-15-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't know how they plan on getting better. I could see the LB's and DB's playing with more unity but it all starts up front and I don't see how they got better in that all-important area. Maybe there is a suprise, but on the surface it looks like they'll be a little worse not better.

Harlan Huckleby
08-15-2008, 09:09 PM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/ksp113/JimMoraRant1.jpg

Playoffs!? Elite!?

I think with the depth problems at defensive tackle it is a stretch to talk about elite. And how good are the DEs after Kampman?

SnakeLH2006
08-16-2008, 12:28 AM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/ksp113/JimMoraRant1.jpg

Playoffs!? Elite!?

I think with the depth problems at defensive tackle it is a stretch to talk about elite. And how good are the DEs after Kampman?

True dat...Nice pic. But realistically, I agree. We've grown as a defense but who as starters gets better? Collins is maxed, both corners are a year older, AJ hasn't progressed, Barnett is maxed, Poppinga is...well he got paid like a good player but is 28 maxed. Kampman is a beast and is the best he will be, KGB is a year older, Jenkins is a tease, the DT's have issues. I like our D but fail to see how they get better this year vs. last year. Bigby might get better as I liked him last year, and Rouse shows massive potential and would like to see him unseat Collins, but I doubt our D is any better statistically this year.

Also, I don't see how our offense is better this year without the Jet. I'm hoping 11-5 max prob. 10-6 if the RodMan is healthy. <<Holds candlelight prayer vigil in front of neighbors. :lol: