PDA

View Full Version : Sitton's the Starter

SnakeLH2006
08-16-2008, 02:04 AM
So I got sick of all the OFFICIAL (insert never-been Packer past douchebag) Topics and thought hey, let's talk about our current/future Packer starters....I know .... strange topic as of late :roll:

Anyway, it looks like Sitton will be the starter at guard for the Pack for the forseeable future. What makes him a starter over the guys we got? What articles are there on Sitton giving us some insight on what is to come/or current trends on the O-Line? Post freely and drop some links as O-Line is prob. the easiest position regardless of draft status to make a starting impact with an NFL team (Tauch and Clifton started their rookie years) so I don't see anything far-fetched with Sitton doing the same.

Is he ready to be a starter? Post some articles/knowledge of this as I read the latest blog on JSOnline about him being entrenched as the starter and seen many Packer Coach/Packer shows claiming the same. No prob. with that, but what's the insight on this? Post....

Fred's Slacks
08-16-2008, 07:11 AM
Well Scott Wright called him the reach of the draft so that means he's going to go on to a pro bowl career.

(Really, I don't know how good Scott is at predicting players careers, I just get annoyed with his insistent "you have to draft for need" talk)

MJZiggy
08-16-2008, 07:49 AM
He didn't think we needed guards??? He thought the o-line was fine? What the hell position did he think we needed to draft? Left wingnut?

Maxie the Taxi
08-16-2008, 08:12 AM
He didn't think we needed guards??? He thought the o-line was fine? What the hell position did he think we needed to draft? Left wingnut?

Daaahh! We DO run the West Coast Offense!

boiga
08-16-2008, 10:03 AM
He didn't think we needed guards??? He thought the o-line was fine? What the hell position did he think we needed to draft? Left wingnut? Most of the talking heads were under the impression that we had one of the best O-lines in the league last year because we had the fewest sacks. They never realized that was in spite of the lousy play at left guard and that we had rather awful run blocking for most of the season.

As far as Sitton goes, the guy has great potential. He should be a beast next year after the conditioning coaches turn that pot belly into muscle. I think he'll be our right guard for the next 4-5 years.

RashanGary
08-16-2008, 12:15 PM
As far as Sitton goes, the guy has great potential. He should be a beast next year after the conditioning coaches turn that pot belly into muscle. I think he'll be our right guard for the next 4-5 years.

I agree. Let's go one more year with the improving, but not good enough guards that we have. They should be better, but I don't think we have three answers in there right now. I think Spitz is a perfect center, better than Wells. I agree that next year Sitton will put a strangle hold on RG next year but as a rookie it might be too much to beat out more consistant and stronger veterans. Then LG is still a bit of an issue, but who knows what a year will bring. Maybe all three will be filled with young, talented, butt kicking guards.

bobblehead
08-16-2008, 12:24 PM
I like his "pot belly"...he is a football player not a bodybuilder, and they tend to end up having the best careers. I wonder what his 40 time was....I mean, that is obviously the most important thing.

RashanGary
08-16-2008, 12:32 PM
I like his "pot belly"...he is a football player not a bodybuilder, and they tend to end up having the best careers. I wonder what his 40 time was....I mean, that is obviously the most important thing.

Yeah, and what school did he go to and where was he drafted?

I'm pretty sure he sucks because as I recall, all of the signs point to him being a real shit drop.

KYPack
08-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Central Florida. A power house program. He was a 4th round compensation pick.

Sitton is an intriguing guy. Going into the season, I figured Barbre would take over as the starting LG and the Oline would begin to jell. Sitton came from nowhere as a 4th round pick and asserted himself right away. Sitton is a tough guy. He's strong and likes to mix it up. He's a brawler who has a lot of push in his game. It's surprising that Sitton has been inserted at RG and our best guard (Jason Spitz) has been moved to LG).

Sitton is rock solid at his position as far as being an anchor. This kid can't be bull rushed. He is also a strong and aggressive drive blocker. He has solid technique as a pass blocker. Fast feet and quick to set up, he can handle himself protecting the passer.

He is still a kid and kind of a clumsy bugger. In the intra squad game, he had a lot of trouble going to his left. He was a triple threat to his left - trip, stumble and fall. There was no real reason for it; he just had problems run blocking in that direction.

Against the Bengalis, his problems were on plays going to his right. Once, he fell on his face pulling right. He showed me something by fixing his troubles to his left. The kid worked on it in practice and got it fixed. He also gave up a some pressures in pass blocking. He is awkward and got beat on some quick finesse moves by the Bengals #1 DT. What the hell, he's a rookie, but a good one. He has the basic qualities you want in a RG. He's a tough sumbitch who can shove people around. That's what you want in RG.

As long as Sitton continues to improve and refine his technique, he'll help form the best Oline group MM has had since he got here. Wells will play center and Sptiz will be the LG. this group can run block and pass protect. As long as Grant makes it back to 100%, we should have a live offense this season.

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2008, 04:18 PM
I think we've had a recent history of preseason wonderkinds at guard that didn't pan-out during the season. Think Will Whittiker.

I won't be shocked if they ultimately go to College - Wells - Spitz when the regular season starts.

I hope Sitton holds on to the job, but it is hard for a rookie offensive lineman to play well, they haven't seen all the tricks.

boiga
08-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the in-depth analysis, KY.

Let us know if Sitton continues to improve.

KYPack
08-16-2008, 05:51 PM
I think we've had a recent history of preseason wonderkinds at guard that didn't pan-out during the season. Think Will Whittiker.

I won't be shocked if they ultimately go to College - Wells - Spitz when the regular season starts.

I hope Sitton holds on to the job, but it is hard for a rookie offensive lineman to play well, they haven't seen all the tricks.

That won't happen, Bluedog.

Barbre is now the back-up LG.

Colledge got snaps at RG in practive., The boy from Alaska at LG experiment is over. They are basically grooming Daryn to take Cliffy's spot in time. Colledge is a pretty good LT, but just couldn't hack the program at LG.

CaliforniaCheez
08-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Sitton is one of the few that put in a solid game Saturday.

pbmax
08-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Sitton was replaced by Colledge while the ones were still out there in the first half. By design or injury, it would seem the coaches aren't sold on him yet. He also got shoved into the runner once and QB once while he was out there. I admit, I didn't see much else of him as there were leaks all over except from Clifton. But my impression was that he isn't ready yet.

Tape(DVR), ND72 or KYPack could prove me wrong, but I'm not sold yet. Excited the coaches think they have something, but not ready for primetime yet.

Scott Campbell
08-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Tape(DVR), ND72 or KYPack could prove me wrong, .............

Nutz was an old lineman too. I'd love to hear from any of these guys who keyed in on Sitton's play last night. I didn't get to see him play.

ND72
08-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Sitton was replaced by Colledge while the ones were still out there in the first half. By design or injury, it would seem the coaches aren't sold on him yet. He also got shoved into the runner once and QB once while he was out there. I admit, I didn't see much else of him as there were leaks all over except from Clifton. But my impression was that he isn't ready yet.

Tape(DVR), ND72 or KYPack could prove me wrong, but I'm not sold yet. Excited the coaches think they have something, but not ready for primetime yet.

I'm not sold on has as a starter. In the 2 games so far, and a couple training camp practices I've been to, Colledge has looked better than Sitton, in my opinion. I think he has potential, but not as a starter this year. He gets bullrushed very easy...and all I'm seeing is the Williams boys week 1 who bullrush big time.

KYPack
08-17-2008, 12:06 PM

I'm not sold on has as a starter. In the 2 games so far, and a couple training camp practices I've been to, Colledge has looked better than Sitton, in my opinion. I think he has potential, but not as a starter this year. He gets bullrushed very easy...and all I'm seeing is the Williams boys week 1 who bullrush big time.

You mean Sitton as a starter?

I know how ya feel. It's freaked me out that they would start a rookie and move Spitz. I figured they would start Barbre at LG, and keep Spitz at home. I don't like the two moves, Spitz to a different position and a rook at RG.

I like Sitton OK, but I can't say he's a whole lot better than Spitz. I would disagree with ya on Sitton giving up a lot of bull rushes, but I don't see tape on the SF game 'til 4pm today. I'll post after I do.

The Williams boys?

I have nightmares about those two pricks the way it is. If our interior line is in disarray by week 1, look out below!

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2008, 07:03 PM
I hope College starts in place of Sitton so I can rub it in to the OL master, KY.

Actually, I'm not sure I'm quite that spiteful. College doesn't look good at guard, at least Sitton has upside.

falco
08-17-2008, 07:18 PM
i'm excited that sitton is coming out as a rookie and going to be starting, but I also remember how exciting it was that will whitaker had set himself out from the pack as a rookie 7th round pick

Joemailman
08-17-2008, 08:31 PM

Josh "Bag Of Donuts" Sitton?

KYPack
08-17-2008, 10:43 PM
I hope College starts in place of Sitton so I can rub it in to the OL master, KY.

Actually, I'm not sure I'm quite that spiteful. College doesn't look good at guard, at least Sitton has upside.

Oh yeah, dog, you just may have your day in court. After viewing that one, anything could happen. The OL had a vintage shit game against SF. I'll "argue" with you and ND at the same time.

ND, I still didn't think Sitton got bull rushed at all. Did the boy have a stellar game? No, but he fell on his face less and kind of hung in there. I never saw him get run over and by like I did several other OL's. I think I'm right, but I didn't save that Tivo of the game for further debate. It would take a court order for me to watch that shit again. Did he solidify his "lock" on the RG job? I think so, but he didn't play like gangbusters or anything.

Spitz? Holy guacamole! One of the worst performances in Packer history. Spitz played LG some last year. Did he forget everything he ever learned about line play? He made rookies and 3rd stringers look like all-pro's. He had as bad a game as you can have. I have never really "got" the move of Spitz to LG. Guess they figure him and Sitton are our two best interior guys, but man, Spitz is all fucked up now.

Barbre. Played pretty damned good compared to some of these other guys. I really don't get why they moved Spitz to the left. I would've liked to see Colledge and Barbre shoot it out for the LG gig. I know MM and the boys will agonize over this film, but Barber acquitted himself well and should be back in consideration for a starting job.

Colledge? more confusion. I totally agree with ND that Colledge has played quite well this pre-season. He did well in this game at BOTH guard spots. He has gained size and strength and has handled his assignments pretty damned well. Colledge also had his worst performance in his Packer career at LT. He got smoked for two sacks in the 4th quarter. The second one was a real snaky inside twist/spin move by the DE that totally baffled DC. He was on his nose when the RDE sacked the shit out of the QB. So Colldge is an average guard and a shit tackle? Probably not, too small a sample & all that.

Another thing that nobody seems to mention is the fact that Scott Wells had about a half ton of rust on him and played below par, also.

Might they think Barbre at LG, Spitz at C, Sitton at RG? yeah, they should if they are thinking. The coaches are gonna earn their money, because we can't go into the season with as many gaping holes as we showed in this game. Some combination has to be put together and get some continuity with it. What we started last nite was a vintage clusterfuck. It's gotta get fixed, pronto.

Blue dog, I don't think Colldege starts at RG. I think Sitton gets that gig. The problem is at LG. They may have to sign Fuzzy Thurston to fix that one. I can't say who will be the LG, but I don't think that will be Colldege, either. But no one can say with much authority who the Packer LG will be when we play the Vikes on that Monday night.

SnakeLH2006
08-20-2008, 10:53 PM

I agree. Let's go one more year with the improving, but not good enough guards that we have. They should be better, but I don't think we have three answers in there right now. I think Spitz is a perfect center, better than Wells. I agree that next year Sitton will put a strangle hold on RG next year but as a rookie it might be too much to beat out more consistant and stronger veterans. Then LG is still a bit of an issue, but who knows what a year will bring. Maybe all three will be filled with young, talented, butt kicking guards.

Did we sign somebody else?? :roll: