PDA

View Full Version : Chris Havel : troubles in Chicago, Detroit & Winter Park

motife
06-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Posted June 15, 2006

Chris Havel
This just in from the NFC North
The only thing more difficult than getting on top is staying on top. Just ask the Chicago Bears.

While the rest of the NFC North features first-year coaches directing organized team activities at a fever pitch, the Bears’ Lovie Smith is dealing with the darker side of success, and modest success at that.

Consider this headline in Tuesday’s Chicago Tribune sports section: “Vasher joins list of angry Bears.”

The story notes the Bears return all 22 starters to defend their NFC North Division title, but that doesn’t mean all 22 are happy. Cornerback Nathan Vasher is AWOL from the OTAs because he wants more money. Linebacker Lance Briggs and running back Thomas Jones also are no-shows.

Smith demoted Briggs, a Pro Bowl participant, and Jones, the team’s leading rusher, from the first team for leaving mandatory minicamp workouts in April. What next? Trade them to Cleveland?

Vasher is too talented to bench, and Smith is too smart to go there, but there are problems in paradise — or at least the NFC North’s closest thing to it.

The Bears went 11-5 in the regular season, then were one and done in the playoffs. For that, Smith is forced to play the “shuffle the depth chart” card in June.

No better in Detroit

If that doesn’t make Green Bay Packers fans squeal with delight, this headline in the June 4 Detroit Free Press sports section will: “Lions learning to catch — their breath.”

The gist of the story is that Lions receiver Roy Williams — a favorite son by comparison to Charles Rogers — didn’t believe offensive coordinator Mike Martz when he told him he needed to be in tip-top shape to play in the new system. It appears Williams is seeing the light between gasps of air and gulps of Gatorade.

“I could barely run two plays, and now I’m running six,” he told the Free Press.

Williams is the kindergartener who proudly displays his first report card and tells his parents, “See? Straight Fs — for first!”

“Hopefully by August, September, especially during training camp, I’ll be able to go all day,” Williams added. “Sooner or later, I won’t be on the Gatorade.”

Hopefully? By August, by September, sooner or later, which is it? It makes one wonder whether Williams knows the Lions’ new coach is, uh, hmmm. Wait. Don’t tell me. It’s Rod Marino? Marinara? Marinelli? That’s it. Marinara.

Sunny in Minnesota

Unfortunately for Packers fans, all of the NFC North offseason news that’s fit to print — and there is precious little of it — isn’t as uplifting.

In Minnesota, Brad Childress is coaching a team whose OTA attendance is 100 percent. A St. Paul Pioneer Press article quotes Childress: “They want to be good, so they’re all participating in OTAs. It’s hard to be good if you’re not here.”

Childress might have added, “Itââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s hard to be bad if you’re not here, either.”

Does this mean the Vikings are destined to win the NFC North? Does it mean the Bears are going to stumble?

No. It means Charles Woodson, Al Harris and Ryan Pickett aren’t at the Packers’ OTAs, and I couldn’t care less.

hurleyfan
06-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey Mo,
has anyone found a "bears" site for packer Fans to troll and harass the shit out of dabaddestbear guys?

In this day and age of pampered and spoiled athelete (across most pro sports) there is always unhappy campers.. I deserve to be paid more, these are voluntary, I have commitments, blah blah blah.

Fritz
06-16-2006, 07:57 AM
But there is so much to learn from these guys. Try this next time you feel like skipping a meeting:

"I really wanted to be there, boss, I really did. I hate to let my co-workers down because it's so important to show everyone how much you care. But I had a personal matter that couldn't wait, but I'm here now and ready to show everyone how hard I'm willing to work."

Dang, Pickett's good.