PDA

View Full Version : DT Ryan Pickett at OTA camp today : updated

motife
06-15-2006, 05:10 PM
http://www.packers.com/multimedia/video/2006_non_game_video/

Packers' Pickett shows up for workouts
CHRIS JENKINS
Associated Press
GREEN BAY, Wis. - He's a couple of weeks behind and a few pounds overweight, but one of the Green Bay Packers' top offseason acquisitions is back in town and wants to make a good impression.

After missing the first nine days of organized team activity workouts this month, defensive tackle Ryan Pickett practiced with the team on Thursday.

Although he wasn't willing to go into detail about "the ordeal" he said kept him away from workouts, Pickett said he wished he could have been working out with the team instead of dealing with whatever it was he was dealing with.

"I feel like I let my team down by not being here," Pickett said. "I had issues I had to deal with. I just wish I could have been here with them, to go through what they've been going through. It hurt me that I couldn't be here."

Pickett, who signed a four-year, $14 million deal with approximately $5 million in bonuses in March, certainly isn't the only Packers player who can't claim perfect offseason attendance.

Projected starting cornerbacks Charles Woodson - the team's biggest free agent acquisition - and Al Harris still haven't shown up for voluntary workouts, and other high-profile players have attended sporadically.

But Pickett said he wanted to be here to show leadership.

"I mean it," Pickett said. "I take it on myself. I want to be a leader and stuff like that. A leader don't miss this many days, so I'm kind of hard on myself. But at the same time I had stuff I had to deal with."

Pickett thanked his new coaches for being understanding and supportive - including head coach Mike McCarthy, who has made a point of emphasizing offseason attendance and bristled at questions about absent players, but apparently still welcomed Pickett back "just like I never left" on Thursday morning.

"I talked to him a few times," Pickett said of McCarthy. "He's called me to let me know he's supporting me and things like that. He is very supportive and to have a supportive coach like that is awesome."

McCarthy was not scheduled to talk to the media on Thursday, but said on Tuesday that he expected Pickett to show up. McCarthy said he didn't expect Harris - who is believed to be unhappy with his contract, although McCarthy has downplayed such talk - to show up this month, and that Woodson's participation was "up in the air." Workouts conclude next week.

Player absences haven't seemed to cause much of a stir among the majority of players who are here, and Pickett's new teammates apparently haven't held his absence against him.

"They were welcoming me back, and I thank God for that because they could have been kind of mad," Pickett said. "But all the players welcomed me back with smiles, hugs. So it felt pretty good."

Pickett said he didn't feel like he was behind in terms of learning the team's defensive scheme but wished he could have been around to show his loyalty to his new teammates.

"I think it's more important to show your teammates that you're a guy they can rely on, especially being new like I am," Pickett said. "A lot of these guys don't know me. You want to let them know that you're going to be there throughout the year, thick and thin. It's more of a bonding thing."

Pickett's conditioning still isn't where his coaches want it to be. He said coaches want him to play at 325, meaning he has about 10 pounds to lose.

But even with the extra weight, Pickett said he didn't feel particularly rusty on Thursday.

"I got in there," Pickett said. "As a matter of fact, coach threw me in there for extra reps to check my wind and I think I held up pretty good."

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said it was hard to judge Pickett's conditioning after one practice, but said it was evident he had been studying the scheme while he was away.

"He had no problem mentally," Sanders said.

Once Pickett gets into shape, Sanders expects him to contribute in several ways.

"He's a guy that can anchor, but he shows athleticism in the pass rush as well," Sanders said.

As for picking the Packers after five seasons in St. Louis, Pickett said he doesn't feel any regrets.

"Right away, I knew I wanted to come here," Pickett said. "I met some of the players, and coaches, and I like the vision, and where this team is headed. We won't be 4-12 again. I'm confident about that."

gbpackfan
06-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Good to see. I like what he said in his interview too.

hurleyfan
06-15-2006, 05:50 PM
'Bout freaking time! (I can't get to the link, what's he have to say about himself?) Signing bonus weigh him down? :mrgreen:

gbpackfan
06-15-2006, 06:49 PM
He was dealing with a family matter and felt bad that he missed all this time. Some people should give him a break.

Row 67
06-15-2006, 07:57 PM
He also said he wants to be considered a leader on the team, and leaders should be at the OTAs. He sincerely felt bad about the personal matter that prevented him from making the OTAs and if it was at all possible, he'd have been at the OTAs. He also said he kept in constant contact with the coaching staff to keep them apprised of the sitation and said there's no animosity from the coaches or fellow players and they were all supportive.

Larry McCarren mentioned that in the minicamps, Pickett was not one to sit out of any drills and enthusiastically jumped in for an extra rep whenever it was possible, so the fact he missed the OTAs seemed out of character. Pickett agreed.

Someone asked him if he had any hesitation on signing with a 4-12 team. He said no way. He loved the coaching staff and what they were building here and with the players they were acquiring and the atmosphere that there would be no way the team would be 4-12 again.

Looks like a very standup guy..friendly, well spoken, affable, accountable. Very positive interview overall.

hurleyfan
06-15-2006, 08:04 PM
He was dealing with a family matter and felt bad that he missed all this time. Some people should give him a break.
Chill gb! Just asking a question..

woodbuck27
06-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Ryan Pickett is at the OTA's and regarding him and whatever reason he was absent is his business. I just want him to feel really welcome and needed. . . . . and to get it on !

Good Luck Ryan !

Murphy37
06-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Personally, I'll be more interested in seeing what Picket does, than I will in seeing what Woodson does. I just fealt Grady Jackson was such a huge (pardon the pun) part of our defense the last couple years, and I am eagerly waiting to see of Picket will be as good or an upgrade. To me, the whole defense starts with his position.

Deputy Nutz
06-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Grady Jackson was a fat turd who was breaking down at the end of the year. If he still had it he would have been signed the first week of free agency. In fact he would have just been signed, which hasn't happened yet. Screw fat Grady, he has no game. He was trying to screw this franchise and he bad mouthed this franchise when he had no right, he way over valued himelf and he listend to people that fed him bullshit about how much he should be making and how good he was.

gbpackfan
06-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Chill gb! Just asking a question..

Calm down! And you and I both know you weren't asking a "real" question.

Joemailman
06-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Personally, I'll be more interested in seeing what Picket does, than I will in seeing what Woodson does. I just fealt Grady Jackson was such a huge (pardon the pun) part of our defense the last couple years, and I am eagerly waiting to see of Picket will be as good or an upgrade. To me, the whole defense starts with his position.

Murph,

I think Pickett will make us all forget Grady very quickly. He can handle the run, and will provide more of a push on the pass rush. I'm pretty excited about this defense. I think every area has been upgraded, with the exception of DE.

By the way, on Monday, don't forget to change the Location in your profile.

Murphy37
06-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Grady Jackson was a fat turd who was breaking down at the end of the year. If he still had it he would have been signed the first week of free agency. In fact he would have just been signed, which hasn't happened yet. Screw fat Grady, he has no game. He was trying to screw this franchise and he bad mouthed this franchise when he had no right, he way over valued himelf and he listend to people that fed him bullshit about how much he should be making and how good he was.

Pipe down nancy boy. I never said I still wish we had Grady, or that we should have signed him for the future. My point was, that the last two years, as a whole, Grady has been a huge part of this defense. Now, will Picket be better than Grady was the last two years, as good, or not. I'm excited as hell to have Pickett. Like I said, that's why I'm more excited about him, than Woodson. Shove it. :razz:

Deputy Nutz
06-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Grady Jackson is your love muffin!!!

Murphy37
06-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Grady Jackson is your love muffin!!!

Excuse me Grady, can I butter your muffin. That's a huge bitch!

packerpete
06-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Im never eating breakfast again...

red
06-16-2006, 06:28 AM

i'm with you

grady was perfect at what he did, stuff the middle. how do you improve over someone that does his job so well?

pickett does seem to have a much better personality though

Deputy Nutz
06-16-2006, 07:51 AM
You know maybe Pickett won't ask for an advance and then 2 months later start bitching that he is not paid enough. Hopefully he won't continue this behavior for over a year saying how he is disappointed in the franchise for not stepping up for its players, but yet come into camp so fat and out of shape that he can't participate in the first month of training camp. Hopefully thats not Ryan Pickett.

Fritz
06-16-2006, 08:05 AM
So Grady Jackson was a "fat turd," huh? I'll never forget back when I was about eight years old, at the neighbor's house playing some game, when one of the neighbor kids came flying into the living room, telling us excitedly that we had to see this crazy thing! Naturally we folllowed him as fast as we could. He led us into the bathroom and pointed into the toilet bowl. Lying there was the longest, fattest turd I'd ever seen - and have ever seen. We stood around admiring it for several moments before his mom finally made us flush it away.

This is vaguely similar to the way I feel about Grady Jackson.

Partial
06-16-2006, 08:34 AM
I'm confused with this. Some of the guys that seem to really know football and OL/DL stuff seem to football (ND, Nuts) think Grady was overrated. Everyone else seems to love what he did.

I think it'll be really interesting to see what side is right.

Rastak
06-16-2006, 09:00 AM
I'm confused with this. Some of the guys that seem to really know football and OL/DL stuff seem to football (ND, Nuts) think Grady was overrated. Everyone else seems to love what he did.

I think it'll be really interesting to see what side is right.

The year before last I thought he really dominated at times. He REALLY shored up the interior line. With injuries and age he seems to have slowed down a bit. I know Packer fans in general were really amped about this guy for two years, now he's completely ridiculed. Tough crowd.

Chester Marcol
06-16-2006, 09:08 AM

Starting to sound like Point/Counter Point. You should have started with "Murph, you ignorant slut".

Pickett said all the right things. Character is usually confirmed through actions. I hope his actions back up how he sounds.

HarveyWallbangers
06-16-2006, 09:18 AM
The year before last I thought he really dominated at times. He REALLY shored up the interior line. With injuries and age he seems to have slowed down a bit. I know Packer fans in general were really amped about this guy for two years, now he's completely ridiculed. Tough crowd.

I hardly think that's fair. Most of us call it the way we see it. His first half season here, he was a real difference maker. He was decent the first half of the next season. Then, he got injured. Last year, he wasn't quite as good as he was a couple of years ago--mainly because he's a 33 year old DT with bad knees who couldn't play that many snaps. I think most experts have Pickett graded higher. I think he'll give what Grady gave, but for more snaps--and he's a lot younger. The risk of injury and the long-term outlook is much better with him. I think it's somewhat comparable to Corey Chavous. He was solid for a couple of years, he's gotten older, and isn't quite as good, so Viking fans feel they can plug somebody else in and they'll be alright. Neither guy is close to irreplaceable. Both guys are serviceable at this point. The fact that Grady has gotten little interest around the league (the only team looking at him just signed Jason Fisk) shows that our perception is pretty close to spot on. He'll likely hook up with a team once they are hit with preseason injuries, but he's pretty much a shell of himself. He's also the type of guy that you can't give more than a one year deal too.

Noodle
06-16-2006, 09:30 AM
One minute we love the guy, next it's "let's burn him."

No one can seriously question the value of Grady Jackson to the Packers over the last couple of years. Yes, he was breaking down at the end last year, but he had a lot of company. For good stretches last year, he was a stout, run-stuffing beast. Sure he was a head case, that's why he was available in the first place, but he played well while he could.

So while it is true that Grady is Murph's love muffin, this doesn't mean that Murph has lost the ability to judge football talent. His take on Grady is correct. Nutz has no such ability, just angry voices in his head that he sometimes shares with us.

Rastak
06-16-2006, 09:43 AM

I hardly think that's fair. Most of us call it the way we see it. His first half season here, he was a real difference maker. He was decent the first half of the next season. Then, he got injured. Last year, he wasn't quite as good as he was a couple of years ago--mainly because he's a 33 year old DT with bad knees who couldn't play that many snaps. I think most experts have Pickett graded higher. I think he'll give what Grady gave, but for more snaps--and he's a lot younger. The risk of injury and the long-term outlook is much better with him. I think it's somewhat comparable to Corey Chavous. He was solid for a couple of years, he's gotten older, and isn't quite as good, so Viking fans feel they can plug somebody else in and they'll be alright. Neither guy is close to irreplaceable. Both guys are serviceable at this point. The fact that Grady has gotten little interest around the league (the only team looking at him just signed Jason Fisk) shows that our perception is pretty close to spot on. He'll likely hook up with a team once they are hit with preseason injuries, but he's pretty much a shell of himself. He's also the type of guy that you can't give more than a one year deal too.

I think it's fair Harvey. I don't disagree with all your points nor do I think the Packers should have re-signed him. My point is that the guy played quite well and when his play slips and he moves on he's a "turd" instead of a guy who two years ago "most of us loved". I know what I read and Grady Jackson was a fan favorite. Maybe not yours, maybe not everybodys but I read enough on forums and usenet to see that he was well liked and respected. That's all I'm saying.

Rastak
06-16-2006, 09:45 AM

I think it's fair Harvey. I don't disagree with all your points nor do I think the Packers should have re-signed him. My point is that the guy played quite well and when his play slips and he moves on he's a "turd" instead of a guy who two years ago "most of us loved". I know what I read and Grady Jackson was a fan favorite. Maybe not yours, maybe not everybodys but I read enough on forums and usenet to see that he was well liked and respected. That's all I'm saying.

Edit: Chavous is a good example by the way. He has slowed some, he isn't the player he was but I don't wish him any ill at all. Good luck and thanks for the memories.....

HarveyWallbangers
06-16-2006, 10:14 AM
I don't wish Grady ill. I think a majority on here wish him well when he isn't playing the Packers, but he's no Gilbert Brown. He could have been, but he chose a different route.

I don't see an issue with fans liking a player when he was good, but pointing out that he won't be missed much since he lost a step (when he has). This quote makes it seem like the fans have been unfair to him. They haven't. He chose to be unhappy about his contract, and he chose not to be as motivated as a DT in his 30s needs to be.

"I know Packer fans in general were really amped about this guy for two years, now he's completely ridiculed. Tough crowd."

I don't think it's a tough crowd. I think it's calling it like it is.He played well in the 8 games he was with the team in 2004. He missed 6 games in 2005, and he was a shell of himself--because of the injuries--most of the rest of the year. Last year, he was solid, but he wasn't as good as he was in 2004. He played about 20 snaps/game. I have no doubt that a healthy, motivated Grady can help a team. Both are those are iffy though. Unmotivated, 33 year old, DTs with bad knees tend not to hold up.

jack's smirking revenge
06-16-2006, 10:22 AM

I totally agree with your perspective Harv. I was a mild fan of Grady when he came to the Pack. He was very effective during his first year. But, as is typical with aging veterans, we got him at the twilight of his abilities. I doubt he will ever be the same. To me, he was an overpaid player considering he could only play 20-30 snaps a game. I am hopeful that Pickett is the anti-Grady.

tyler

woodbuck27
06-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Grady Jackson's best years were in 2000-01 with the Oakland Raiders.

He played 32 games and had 135 tackles (101 of them were unassisted); he also had 12 sacks and 6 PD.

In 2003-05 with the Packers. Grady played in 41 games and had 125 tackles ( 81 of them unassisted ), 6 sacks in 2003 and (8 sacks total) and 8 PD.

When Grady was in the middle of OUR DL we will re-call, that we played effectively. Especially of note was how the DL performed with Grady in and we were backed up in OUR Red Zone.

Grady was mostly guilty of nothing more than wanting more before it was all over. I felt he was an effective DL and wouldn't be disappointed if he came in for OUR TC for one last kick at it, only if he accepted the League minimum for vet's.

That would be a long shot to happen, I expect. Grady Jackson wanted out !

Finally . . . Grady Jackson was Born: 01/21/1973 so what does that make him. . . 33 year's old.

Ryan Pickett is 27 year's old in August.

Partial
06-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I think the fact that Grady used to get a lot of sacks and doesn't anymore may tell the tale. I have never been sure if he was washed up or not, but maybe he has been for a year and it was masked by the development of CC, KP, CW and CJ

Homer Jay
06-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Rastak, are you still wishing Hovan the best of luck?