Scott Campbell
08-17-2008, 12:42 PM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/301053

SUN., AUG 17, 2008 - 1:30 AM
Packers notes: Nelson impressive on kick returns
By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com

SAN FRANCISCO — Rookie wide receiver Jordy Nelson didn't do much with his opportunity on offense, but he certainly thrust himself into the competition for the kickoff return job during the Green Bay Packers' 34-6 preseason loss to the San Francisco 49ers Saturday night.

Nelson, who played extensively from scrimmage with starting receiver Greg Jennings (knee) and No. 4 receiver Ruvell Martin (jaw) out but only had two catches for 10 yards, had 56- and 58-yard kickoff returns in the second half.

"The return game looked good. The guys up front were able to open up some holes and I was able to get a crease a couple times," said Nelson, who did not return kickoffs in college. "It was a way to get a big play and put our offense in a good situation."

Except the offense didn't capitalize.

After a field goal gave the 49ers a 17-3 lead midway through the third quarter, Nelson returned the ensuing kickoff 56 yards, starting to his right, cutting back to his left, then breaking free of an incidental facemask around the Packers' 45-yard line before the kicker finally brought him down at the San Francisco 33.

Although the offense went nowhere — a holding penalty on rookie tight end Jermichael Finley got the possession off to a poor start — the return did set up a 49-yard Mason Crosby field goal.

Nelson followed that up with a 58-yard return early in the fourth quarter, but the Packers didn't score because quarterback Matt Flynn was blindsided on back-to-back plays by Tully Banta-Cain, who beat left tackle Daryn Colledge each time. Flynn fumbled both times, recovering the first but not the second.

Asked if he might contribute on returns given the logjam in front of him at receiver, Nelson said, "Obviously it'd be great, but I'm not going to say that I should be (the returner) or anything like that. It's a way to get on the field and help make plays and help the team win."

Bretsky
08-17-2008, 01:01 PM
great info; as we saw in our Super Bowl year a great return game will mean differences between wins and losses

RashanGary
08-17-2008, 01:07 PM
You shoulda seen him, Bretsky. He wasn't Devin Hester, but he did look like probowl Koren of a few years ago. He's very nifty for such a big guy. He and Jennings could be a perfect tandem at WR for many years to come.

Iron Mike
08-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Weren't Brooks and Freeman basically return guys before they stepped into starting roles??

Scott Campbell
08-17-2008, 05:07 PM
My feeling is that one return could be a fluke. 2 returns starts looking more like a pattern, and combined with his pre draft highlight reel and his 2/5 college performance, I'm beginning to believe in Jordy as a return man.

The other thing that bodes well is what this can mean for his YAC after he works into the WR lineup mix.

rbaloha1
08-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Jordy runs hard with great vision. Keep as the lead kickoff returner.

The Gunshooter
08-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Jordy runs hard with great vision. Keep as the lead kickoff returner.

And punts too then say goodbye to Blackmon's stupid foot.