PDA

View Full Version : Darryn Colledge, Jason Spitz

RashanGary
08-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Are these guys really that great that they don't need to practice their position and we can spend our TC scattering them accross the line just in case we have seven injuries.

I understand playing these guys two positions, but at some point don't you think OL is a hard enough job that they don't need to be spread around to 3/4 different positions?

Just curious what other people think. It seems to me MM thinks his guys are all-pros and because of their greatness they don't need to practice the position they will acctually play and instead focus on 3 positions that they probably will not play.

It's the same as last year. I remember we just got our running game sort of rolling at the end of 2006 and then in 2007 we did a mass expansion of our run game. Low and behold, our guys suck ass and can't do it well. The running game seems very finicky and timing based. How do you expect these guys to perform well when they are being asked to run 2 or 3 full systems of run plays. Then this year they start playing our starters at 3 or 4 different positions. Why overload these guys last year and why do it again this year. It's hard enough to be really good at a dozen run plays while focusing in on one position. Why do we have to give them 100 run plays and 4 positions? Not only that, but they're not even great players. These guys could use all of the stability they can get. Talk about setting yoru players up for failure.

digitaldean
08-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Are these guys really that great that they don't need to practice their position and we can spend our TC scattering them accross the line just in case we have seven injuries.

There's a word called continuity that's seems to be forgotten here. M3 should be able to stop the shuffling this next game. You have got to make a decision on what happened last night and go with it into the reg. season.

Scott Campbell
08-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Did we really learn anything about our run blocking ability last night?

digitaldean
08-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Did we really learn anything about our run blocking ability last night?

Probably not since M3 abandoned it so early.

Partial
08-17-2008, 05:40 PM
I tend to agree. Has JH turned it around? In any case, why are they not giving Colledge a longer look at LG after what was supposedly a spectacular off-season for him?

Narrow the competition down to him and Barber, and let the Sitton kid learn behind Spitzy for a year.

One thing I noticed was that San Fran kept bringing the heat, and until A-Rod shows he can make them regret it, that is going to keep coming.

A-Rod impressed me with his willingness to stand in the pocket and take a hit. Problem is Favre had a knack for evading that and that is why he stayed healthy. While it raises him up a peg in my book (that puts him at 1 - huggy bear), he needs to avoid these hits as they shorten players careers. He really got popped pretty good last night.

digitaldean
08-17-2008, 05:43 PM
I tend to agree. Has JH turned it around? In any case, why are they not giving Colledge a longer look at LG after what was supposedly a spectacular off-season for him?

Narrow the competition down to him and Barber, and let the Sitton kid learn behind Spitzy for a year.

One thing I noticed was that San Fran kept bringing the heat, and until A-Rod shows he can make them regret it, that is going to keep coming.

A-Rod impressed me with his willingness to stand in the pocket and take a hit. Problem is Favre had a knack for evading that and that is why he stayed healthy. While it raises him up a peg in my book (that puts him at 1 - huggy bear), he needs to avoid these hits as they shorten players careers. He really got popped pretty good last night.

True, P. He needs to throw it away more. He isn't going to get any style points for taking the extra hits.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Arod had no chance at avoiding those hits. He was getting hit often in less than 2 seconds.

pbmax
08-17-2008, 05:50 PM
I am glad JH is not in charge of the emergency weather information. Those horns would be blaring 12 out of 24 hours per day as he vacillated between "Looks like bad weather" and "It's not going to rain". :lol:

No one has played four positions. Just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it true. And to answer an actual question elsewhere, I assume Colledge isn't playing LG because he has not separated himself from the rest of the O lineman like Sitton has. If Colledge has yet to beat Barbre out and Sitton has outplayed them both, who would you prefer to see?

How this can be bad news is unclear, as usually if you get a new player who plays his way into the lineup, you can expect improvement. But it will take time for Spitz to adjust to the other side.

pbmax
08-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Favre developed that knack after several years of taking huge shots while he tried to keep a play alive. He often took sacks on plays it looked like he should have let die.

ND72 mentioned elsewhere the shortened schedule for the week. The 49ers play a mix of 3-4 and 4-3 and the 3-4 has given this team fits before. With minimum preparation, its difficult to determine what should have been game planned for and what Rodger, et.al. should have done differently.