PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Hawk.

packers11
08-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Is very unappreciated by most on the forum... Look what happened last night when he wasn't on the field... This guy is a stud, he does what he is asked to do, and is a tackling machine...

Thats one positive I found out of this game. A.J. Hawk is a valuable asset to this defense...

RashanGary
08-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Is very unappreciated by most on the forum... Look what happened last night when he wasn't on the field... This guy is a stud, he does what he is asked to do, and is a tackling machine...

Thats one positive I found out of this game. A.J. Hawk is a valuable asset to this defense...

Very true. Chillar was a huge step down.

Bretsky
08-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Agree

I still think the biggest thing holding back AJ Hawk is Bob Sanders and his defensive calls

The Leaper
08-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Hawk is a very solid player. He might not be flashy and make a ton of highlight plays...but that isn't his job in this defense. His job is to cover a lot of space and eat up blockers for the MLB or S to make a play.

He doesn't make many mistakes...and has he continues to gain experience and comfort in the system, he will also begin to make more impact plays. Was he worth a #5 pick to some? Maybe not. However, he was a very safe pick...one that you were almost certain would not turn into a major bust and one you figured could be a very good starter for 10 years in the league.

Tough to pass that up...anywhere in the draft.

mission
08-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Hawk is a very solid player. He might not be flashy and make a ton of highlight plays...but that isn't his job in this defense. His job is to cover a lot of space and eat up blockers for the MLB or S to make a play.

He doesn't make many mistakes...and has he continues to gain experience and comfort in the system, he will also begin to make more impact plays. Was he worth a #5 pick to some? Maybe not. However, he was a very safe pick...one that you were almost certain would not turn into a major bust and one you figured could be a very good starter for 10 years in the league.

Agreed.

Even if we got "nothin more" out of him than 10 years of honest starting LB, that's more than can be said for most 5th picks.

That said, I'm pretty sure we already have more than just a capable starter in hawk ...

Scott Campbell
08-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Great post.

digitaldean
08-17-2008, 05:12 PM

Agreed. Vernon Davis had Chillar out of position all evening long. The entire time with the first units, he seemed a step behind.

Scott Campbell
08-17-2008, 05:14 PM

Agreed. Vernon Davis had Chillar out of position all evening long. The entire time with the first units, he seemed a step behind.

I didn't see that much of Chillar, but all this makes me think he might be in danger of getting cut. Hodge and Bishop are younger and with unknown upside might be more of what you want from a backup.

digitaldean
08-17-2008, 05:16 PM
I think Hodge is making a statement this preseason.

For the most part, he has played well enough to make it. Bishop is usually a special teams demon, so that would have to be a big leg up for him.

rbaloha1
08-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Chillar is a talker unable to back it up.

Hodge needs to be the 4th lb. Maybe even considered a starter over Poppinga.

BP lacks insticts. Hodge possess very good lb insticts, plays with loose hips and takes great angles.

Does anyone recall the screen play he stopped for a potential big gain -- beat 2 blockers and tripped up the ball carrier.

BP needs to be a wedge buster and pass rusher.

HarveyWallbangers
08-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Chillar is a talker unable to back it up.

What? I've seen several of his interviews, and I've never seen anything that would make me label him cocky or a talker. Where did you get this from?

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Chillar talks confidently with lackluster play.

Expected more based on hype and experience. Keep on roster but Hodge needs to be either #3 or #4 lb.

Noodle
08-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Hodge possess very good lb insticts, plays with loose hips and takes great angles.

My view of Hodge has always been that he's a little stiff -- a straight line guy who has trouble moving fluidly in space. Maybe you've seen reason to think he's become more agile, but I haven't seen it.

Mind you, the Stormin' Mormon ain't all that fluid either. That's why you see his favorite blitz move is the ol' "run in to the back of your own teammate" gem. Works every time.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Chillar talks confidently with lackluster play.

Expected more based on hype and experience. Keep on roster but Hodge needs to be either #3 or #4 lb.

Please back up your statements. Please provide examples of chillar's talk.

And, to even suggest that hodge has loose hips really compromises your assesments.

bobblehead
08-18-2008, 05:12 PM

Actually according to the NFL network commentator Brandon Chillar "is..um..one of the best in the business" I thought they brought back that buffoon from last year when I heard that.

sheepshead
08-18-2008, 05:36 PM
I recall posters so surprised that AJ had similar stats to Barnett. If you only see the games on TV its almost impossible to judge much of the defense, you simply dont see them on the screen.( I get slammed for this every time but try and watch AJ an entire game)Guys in the press are at the games and some have access to game films. Offensive line is difficult too, whens Brett was in the shotgun, you just dont see guys the entire play. You just see the results. AJ doesnt get the pub and is not involved in the big hits like Urlacher is, but his numbers are very very good.