PDA

View Full Version : Can a great nose tackle made a average team great?

The Gunshooter
08-17-2008, 07:20 PM
There is no difference between Jackson/Pickett, Favre/Rodgers except we don't have the benefit of hindsight.

Late 2003 GB can't stop the run so they pick up Grady Jackson from New Orleans. Next thing you know they sneak into the playoffs and have Philly beat only to fold their shot at the title. Many believed they would of crushed Carolina.

2004 season, game 1, MNF, GB pounds Carolina on the road. Carolina had just barely lost in the last Super Bowl to a not necessarily the greatest in NFL history NE team. To the casual fan GB looks like a powerhouse. Then Grady Jackson goes down and GB loses 4 in a row and are sitting at 1-4. Game 5, another MNF game against TN was extremely brutal. GB looked worse in those 4 losses then they did yesterday if that is possible. Jackson come back week 6 and they start winning again. Then TT comes on board and cuts Jackson after the season. Nobody said anything then but I knew GB must have Jackson on the field to compete.

We could have Grady Jackson right now or we can have Ryan Pickett. I think it's a no brainer. Jackson was a huge part of Oakland's success, just ask
Woodson. GB was not going to win a Super Bowl in 2005 with Jackson in there but him not being in the line-up contributed greatly to 4-12. The guy was very underrated and GB was really cheap with him. I guess he must of been a pain in their ass like Favre and was getting fatter and older. Pickett was just starting to show his talent with STL.

What the hell am I getting at? GB is going to look lousy without Ryan Pickett and he hasn't played yet. TT made the right move by dumping Jackson, he just didn't replace him until 2006. Are we going to be laughing 3 years from now at the people who questioned TT for putting Rodgers in there? I am laughing now because TT couldn't do it last year or even the year before because of the fanatics who would scream bloody murder for his head.

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2008, 07:28 PM
i don't know. I see a lot of problem on the D-line, especially the DE on other side of Kampman. Jolly looks good. No depth.

The Gunshooter
08-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Some people believe you can turn a team around in one year. That's true if the talent is already there. GB does not have the talent to win the Super Bowl right now with or without Favre. They don't have the proper backs, pass rush, or secondary. So why not make a move right now and get your QB of the future acclimated until you do? Who know, maybe Pat Lee is going to the Pro Bowl and Jeremy Thompson is going to move to RDE and get 12 sacks this year but I doubt it. Make the move with Rodgers now to hopefully solidify that position for the moment when GB is ready to kick the NFL's ass.

falco
08-17-2008, 07:33 PM
johnny jolly is a beast

give him another year or two to hone his skills and he'll be better than the williams brothers combined

shit, i'd let that monster line up on his own and collapse the pocket, but what do i know

5 years from now we'll be talking about tramon williams and johnny jolly as key components of our defense, the way you might talk about charles woodson, aaron kampman, and nick barnett now

The Gunshooter
08-17-2008, 07:47 PM
i don't know. I see a lot of problem on the D-line, especially the DE on other side of Kampman. Jolly looks good. No depth.

Jenkins is alright. KGB is getting a little long in the tooth but if healthy he can rush the passer. Harrell is an idiot. If you want to maximize your talent you work out. Especially after pulling a bicep. You don't sit at home eating twinkies and walk into the gym and squat 600lbs.

But you are right, they are not exactly going to wreck havoc nor win a Super Bowl with what they have now.

GB still has a way to go, Favre notwithstanding.

The Gunshooter
08-17-2008, 07:49 PM
But is he Reggie White? That's what they need. They need a HOFer or two or three on that defense.

johnny jolly is a beast

give him another year or two to hone his skills and he'll be better than the williams brothers combined

shit, i'd let that monster line up on his own and collapse the pocket, but what do i know

5 years from now we'll be talking about tramon williams and johnny jolly as key components of our defense, the way you might talk about charles woodson, aaron kampman, and nick barnett now

Harlan Huckleby
08-17-2008, 07:51 PM
But is he Reggie White? That's what they need. They need a HOFer or two or three on that defense.

Why doesn't TT swing a trade for a couple HOF D-linemen? Guy just sits on his ass.

The Gunshooter
08-17-2008, 08:05 PM

Why doesn't TT swing a trade for a couple HOF D-linemen? Guy just sits on his ass.

He added Chiller. Whoop de do. You know what? If he can make a trade for a tackle right now it might not be a bad idea especially if Jolly gets suspended or maybe they figure Harrell will play this year.

dissident94
08-17-2008, 08:12 PM
I agree with you gun. If you believe we cannot win the Super Bowl with the talent we have then we should go with Rodgers.

But the problem is we almost did last year. So it would seem that we should go for it.

But like I was saying maybe Favre made this team look better than it was.

The Gunshooter
08-17-2008, 08:49 PM
I agree with you gun. If you believe we cannot win the Super Bowl with the talent we have then we should go with Rodgers.

But the problem is we almost did last year. So it would seem that we should go for it.

But like I was saying maybe Favre made this team look better than it was.

In the short term yes. But if you are going to make a run for it don't make a false run, kick the door down and stay there for awhile. I would much rather see a dynasty then a bunch of playoff appearances.

I just never liked the idea of building around a 36/37 year old QB no matter who it is. The guy steps down and your rebuilding process is set back or destroyed.

In 1993 Denver goes 9-7, then 7-9 in 1994, 1995, 8-8. 1996 Denver is 13-3, Elway is 36 and Denver is close. At 37 they beat GB, and at 38 they crush ATL for the championship. That's almost a dynasty, if Elway doesn't retire then the HOF lineman might stay and Terrell Davis doesn't destroy his knee trying to make a tackle. It's ok, they got two championships so it was a good move.

2005 GB goes 4-12 and Favre turns 36. 8-8 he is 37, 13-3, he turns 38, this year he retires and they have Rodgers waiting in the wings who they believe is going to be good.

I would do exactly what TT and MM did and roll the dice with Rodgers. GB in 2007 was not as good as Denver was in 1996. Favre is two years older than Elway at the same stage. Favre has trouble committing himself. GB has Rodgers. In my mind Favre has trouble thinking straight in big games.

I'll tell you what, if GB wins the NFC North this year and gets to the divisional playoff TT and MM are right on. The path they are on now is 100% correct.

Partial
08-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Yes. QB and DL are the most important position in football in my opinion.

Lurker64
08-17-2008, 11:07 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the Vikings vaunted defensive line looks after Fat Pat leaves after this season (he's old, his contract is up at the end of this season, and he's talked about this being his last year). Their window might be very small.

dissident94
08-18-2008, 12:24 AM
after the 4-12 team you are right. But anytime you have a chance to win a title you do it.

this is how I see it. If you think we could have won the title this year you do everyting to keep Brett around.

If you don't think we can I am fine with Rodgers or Brohm or Flynn.

Iron Mike
08-18-2008, 02:08 AM
In 1993 Denver goes 9-7, then 7-9 in 1994, 1995, 8-8. 1996 Denver is 13-3, Elway is 36 and Denver is close. At 37 they beat GB, and at 38 they crush ATL for the championship. That's almost a dynasty, if Elway doesn't retire then the HOF lineman might stay and Terrell Davis doesn't destroy his knee trying to make a tackle. It's ok, they got two championships so it was a good move.

You forgot to mention that the Broncos were cheating on the salary cap for both of those years.

mraynrand
08-18-2008, 11:36 AM

You forgot to mention that the Broncos were cheating on the salary cap for both of those years.

And hopped up. Souper Soup anyone? How about Romanowski, Sharpe, and McCaffery all being inducted into the Steroid HOF?

SMACKTALKIE
08-18-2008, 04:41 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the Vikings vaunted defensive line looks after Fat Pat leaves after this season (he's old, his contract is up at the end of this season, and he's talked about this being his last year). Their window might be very small.

It would be interesting......considering the Vikings extended his contract this offseason. He is old but I believe he signed a 2 or 3 year extention.

Tony Oday
08-18-2008, 04:56 PM
You forgot the O line as well. Without the guys in the trenches the QB and RB get DESTROYED

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 05:07 PM

And hopped up. Souper Soup anyone? How about Romanowski, Sharpe, and McCaffery all being inducted into the Steroid HOF?

You got info on SS and McCaffery? Please post. Not denying, but never heard that about either.