PDA

View Full Version : Game

HarveyWallbangers
08-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Sure glad I was out of town and missed the game. I don't have the energy to wade through all of the posts, but judging by the subject titles there seems to be a "The Sky is Falling" mentality going on after a preseason loss.

PackerTimer
08-17-2008, 11:11 PM
I'll give a big old 100% agree with this. I was on vacation for a week, watched the Cincy game, but missed the SF game. I've been able to go through one or two threads. Typical overreaction to a meaningless, inconsequential game.

BallHawk
08-17-2008, 11:50 PM
This forum's kinda gone down hill with the amount of posts. Too many repeats, not enough original, thoughtful discussion.

But that's what happens when you open your borders to the whole internetz. Oh well.

mission
08-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Deport them all.

RashanGary
08-18-2008, 07:29 AM
That game was really, really bad. Rodgers looked really, really bad.

I'm going to go back over the game tonight or tomorrow, but I'm starting to think SF was jumping short stuff and the OL was in disarray because Spitz was at LG where he always struggles and a rookie was at RG and struggling for the 2nd week in a row.

The Leaper
08-18-2008, 08:08 AM
I watched the first half last night...I certainly don't see where people are getting the "sky is falling" notion. We dominated the first quarter IMO. SF only could move the ball by throwing it to Davis because Hawk wasn't starting. Otherwise, our defense suffocated the Niners.

Offensively, Rodgers looked fine in the first quarter. Driver and Lee had HORRIBLE drops. Even Woodson couldn't hold on to the football after an INT. Clearly, this week there will be a huge emphasis on ball skills in camp...because that is 2 games in a row where the team was lackluster in terms of catching/holding the ball. Rodgers fell apart in the second quarter because he wasn't getting any help. Funny...the same thing happens to Favre in the NFCC game last year, and everyone wants to run him out of town. Like I've said before...if the TEAM doesn't pull its head out of its collective ass, the Packers aren't doing squat in 2008. Inexperience is no longer an excuse. Dropped passes...dumb penalties...we look bad out there from a COACHING perspective IMO.

IMO, McCarthy is the one to blame more than anyone else. A complete debacle in terms of coaching. 21 passes to 4 runs...in PRESEASON? Smacks of the desperate in terms of trying to gain experience for a guy that the team supposedly has full confidence in. Yeah...it was a short week, but that isn't an excuse for the questionable play calling and mental lapses in terms of fundamentals.

I'm still not 100% sold on McCarthy like some of you are. He has come up miserably small in numerous big games. Some of his choices for his staff are really questionable. Sure, there are positives for McCarthy as well...I'm not saying we should fire the guy. I'm just saying that for me, the jury is still out. 2008 will be a real good test for him. He needs to raise the bar, and the debacle Saturday night is evidence of that.

Bossman641
08-18-2008, 08:29 AM
Yea the run-pass ratio was crazy. Question for those who watched the game since I didn't see it.

Were we put in that many pass situations? Or was it more MM trying to get Rodgers as much experience as possible?

Ballboy
08-18-2008, 08:42 AM
I watched the game again last night and tend to agree with most of the above posters. 1st quarter was pretty good for the Packers, just need to fix the drops. I read an article somewhere that Rodgers was changing the play at the line from run to pass, so that maybe why it seemed that they were passing all the time.

Interior OL had rough night...Wells seemed to get pushed back....it was his first action, so I will give him a pass.

RB's picked up the blitz better, Rodgers just didn't trust his read to make a throw.

Big test will be this week. MM said he will game plan all week like a regualar season game. Hopefully Grant, Jennings, Pickett, Hawk can all go this week.

pbmax
08-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Leave it to Harvey to create the most stable and rational thread to date on the game. Couple of notes:

Joe Philbin did acknowledge Rodgers audibled out of some called runs see the story here (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=784295). This would explain some of the imbalance and if Rodgers had misread the coverage presnap, might explain no one being open.

The team was not as effective as against a poorer Bengals D but if not for two drops, he would have had better numbers after three drives. Still no turnovers.

He is young and has no starts, he is going to get himself into trouble. Its up to him to get himself out of it later in the game.

privatepacker
08-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Living in Dallas you get hit over the head w/ the Cowboys. Did watch the Packers game on Justin web site. Whatever water the Cowboys were drinking, the Packers must have drawn from the same well. Both teams looked terrible, and most people outside of Dallas will say the Cowboys will be a good team regardless of the Denver game. I think the same is also true of the Packers. IMO MM wanted to see how the team was going to do in passing situations and to develop some tempo. Didn't seem to work since it looked like SF played the game like a Super Bowl. Cowboys were trying something different as well. Jerry Jones relayed that bit of information when he said they were trying look a their pass defense and not do anything special about a pass rush. Denver QBs had no pressure and made Dallas look very weak. I don't know for sure if the Packers and Cowboys were looking at something very specific in their teams but when Green Bay has so few rushing plays then you have to think they are not trying to win as much as they are looking at specific game situations.
So my take is Green Bay did terrible but doubt they are as bad as team as they looked against SF.
IF they look that bad in last pre-season game...then it's a long season.

prsnfoto
08-18-2008, 09:04 AM
The biggest disappointment remains to be the O-line after Clifton and Tauscher they completely suck TT has drafted 40 lineman and they all suck and The media can show me 5000 times how thay didn't give up any sacks last year and I call bullshit there is one and only one reason for that and he wears the the number 4. Rodgers is average which is all I expected him to be unfortunately he will never see average cause TT has already given him the death sentence. I was a little surprised to see Reggie had 4 sons and they all grew up to play for the whiners damn they have the best d-line in all of football. Pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!! Blue skies our kicker,punter and returnman named Jordy are studs maybe they can win with that thats been the Bears plan for three years now.

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Yes it was an exhibition and the game does not count but we should be concerned about the following:

1. Rhythm and timing of the offense.
2. Finding the o-line starters
3. AR shortcomings -- are they bad enough to lose games? Is the defense and special teams able to overcome AR's shortcomings?
4. Is AR able to make plays when the team is struggling like you know who? Does AR possess the intangibles like you know who?

Maybe these are overreactions but guys only 3 weeks remain. IMO 1-4 are critical and have failed to be answered.

cpk1994
08-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Sure glad I was out of town and missed the game. I don't have the energy to wade through all of the posts, but judging by the subject titles there seems to be a "The Sky is Falling" mentality going on after a preseason loss.I wouldn't say its a "The sky is falling" mentality. What you have is a couple of posters, Favre lovers, who decide to declare "I told ya, so"(shoulda kept Favre) becuase of one preseason game and come here and gloat about it. They are a very vocal group and it gives the forum a look of "Sky is falling". I think the mentality is more "mild worry", than "Sky is Falling" IMHO.

cpk1994
08-18-2008, 10:55 AM
The biggest disappointment remains to be the O-line after Clifton and Tauscher they completely suck TT has drafted 40 lineman and they all suck and The media can show me 5000 times how thay didn't give up any sacks last year and I call bullshit there is one and only one reason for that and he wears the the number 4. Rodgers is average which is all I expected him to be unfortunately he will never see average cause TT has already given him the death sentence. I was a little surprised to see Reggie had 4 sons and they all grew up to play for the whiners damn they have the best d-line in all of football. Pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!! Blue skies our kicker,punter and returnman named Jordy are studs maybe they can win with that thats been the Bears plan for three years now.THe problem right now is McCarthy's insistance to shuffling lineman in and out. He needs to go back to Spitz and Colledge as his guards, just as he did at the end of last season, and stick with it. This constant shuffling of lineman is going to end up getting ARod killed.

mission
08-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Game ...

Great new album, "L.A.X."

I'm especially feelin "My Life" with Game and Lil Wayne... beautiful track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3qCxynJReE

Oscar
08-18-2008, 12:22 PM
I truly hope that the ass kickin lights a fire under this team and they get back to business. The coaching staff included.. I see no reason it shouldn't. I'm looking forward to the next game now more that ever..

Packgator
08-18-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm still not 100% sold on McCarthy like some of you are. He has come up miserably small in numerous big games. Some of his choices for his staff are really questionable. Sure, there are positives for McCarthy as well...I'm not saying we should fire the guy. I'm just saying that for me, the jury is still out. 2008 will be a real good test for him.

I may not be 100% sold on McCarthy but I'm very close. I believe the Packers are in good hands with him at the helm. I agree that 2008 will be a good test.....one that I expect him to pass.

Maxie the Taxi
08-18-2008, 04:17 PM
The Pack will be great in 'O8. I say this with confidence for one reason only: McCarthy. I AM 100% sold on the man. He is meticulous. He goes about his business with confidence. He's a teacher.

He said in the press conference he wasn't calling plays like he would in the regular season. He had one goal, I believe, in that preseason game against SF and it wasn't trying to win it. He wanted to generate film he could teach from. He got it. It's easier to teach from film full of mistakes.

This guy does stuff different than a lot of coaches. Some coaches put the emphasis on winning each and every game no matter when it's played. This guy, I think, uses preseason games for teaching under game conditions AND testing personnel.

Some coaches judge their personnel solely on the basis of performance in practice. This guy needs to see performance in game conditions.

MM has also said he is satisfied with his three QB's and isn't going to sign a veteran. He said no matter how many times he's asked his answer is the same: I'll go with what I have. Now this is a guy who has confidence in the talent he has and in his ability to teach and bring that talent out.

Let's give MM some elbow room. Rather than criticize him and his methods compared to how other coaches or how we would coach if we were him, why not sit back and enjoy watching him operate?

I'm not saying everything he does is perfect, or that his methods guarantee success. I'm saying he's a man with a plan who pretty much has produced success so far in his tenure here.

Without a doubt, in my judgement he's the best coach we've had in Green Bay since Holmgren.

PackerTimer
08-18-2008, 05:07 PM
The Pack will be great in 'O8. I say this with confidence for one reason only: McCarthy. I AM 100% sold on the man. He is meticulous. He goes about his business with confidence. He's a teacher.

He said in the press conference he wasn't calling plays like he would in the regular season. He had one goal, I believe, in that preseason game against SF and it wasn't trying to win it. He wanted to generate film he could teach from. He got it. It's easier to teach from film full of mistakes.

This guy does stuff different than a lot of coaches. Some coaches put the emphasis on winning each and every game no matter when it's played. This guy, I think, uses preseason games for teaching under game conditions AND testing personnel.

Some coaches judge their personnel solely on the basis of performance in practice. This guy needs to see performance in game conditions.

MM has also said he is satisfied with his three QB's and isn't going to sign a veteran. He said no matter how many times he's asked his answer is the same: I'll go with what I have. Now this is a guy who has confidence in the talent he has and in his ability to teach and bring that talent out.

Let's give MM some elbow room. Rather than criticize him and his methods compared to how other coaches or how we would coach if we were him, why not sit back and enjoy watching him operate?

I'm not saying everything he does is perfect, or that his methods guarantee success. I'm saying he's a man with a plan who pretty much has produced success so far in his tenure here.

Without a doubt, in my judgement he's the best coach we've had in Green Bay since Holmgren.

What he said.