PDA

View Full Version : Packers should have drafted Colt Brennan

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Although I admire TT's draft and like Brohm and Flynn, Colt Brennan should have been a Packer.

CB is NFL ready and if a Packer the clear #2 with no worries.

www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&season=2008&seasonType=PRE&experience=0&tabSeq=0&qualified=false&Submit=Go

arcilite
08-18-2008, 10:00 AM
And you know he is NFL ready how?

He threw a couple TDs against scrubs that won't be playing in the NFL this year?

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 10:13 AM
And you know he is NFL ready how?

He threw a couple TDs against scrubs that won't be playing in the NFL this year?

CB is a little older and mature than the other rookie qbs. Tutored by June Jones and able to read NFL coverages. Just watch what develops in Washington. CB is a leader, winner and competitive. So far displayed better NFL skills than Brohm or Flynn.

CB was heavily criticized as a "system qb." What would happen if he had Brohm's stats? The Mel Kipers would be thumping their chest by going, "See I told you so!" BTW Erik Ainge has already been cut. Was he playing against Scrubs?

Many teams are going to be wondering why CB was not drafted by their respective teams given the poor leaguewide qb play.

Pacopete4
08-18-2008, 10:29 AM
I was a huge Brennan fan and wanted him on the Pack but I really cant complain with the Brohm pick... the guy was supposed to be a 1st rounder and heisman hopeful before he got hurt.. give him time

oregonpackfan
08-18-2008, 10:38 AM
While Brennan is "quarterback smart" and was well-coached in college, I have concerns about his small size. I question if he is durable to physically sustain the hits he will receive in the pros.

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 10:44 AM
I was a huge Brennan fan and wanted him on the Pack but I really cant complain with the Brohm pick... the guy was supposed to be a 1st rounder and heisman hopeful before he got hurt.. give him time

I am as well a Brohm fan. Very impressive in college. Poised in the pocket and displayed the ability to go thru progressions.

But lets not forget Brohm was coached hard by his brother. Is this something to be concerned about?

If you recall CB was given a second round pick grade after his junior year. Decided to return after Coach Jones promised not to leave for the NFL, the challenge to lead Hawaii to the BCS (accomplished) and win the Heisman (finished third)

The word was the Dolphins would have selected CB in round one. They choose Beck in round 2. Beck is now a backup.

CB did not have the same senior season as his junior season. Also the Hawaii team performed poorly in the Sugar Bowl and CB was injured in the Senior Bowl. Too many negatives caused CB to drop.

For anyone watching CB's career the criticism was nonsense. Coach Jones completely supported CB and compared him favorably with any qb he coached.

Lets see what develops.

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 10:46 AM
While Brennan is "quarterback smart" and was well-coached in college, I have concerns about his small size. I question if he is durable to physically sustain the hits he will receive in the pros.

CB is now a solid 220 lbs. Weight is not a concern. Check out CB highlights on nfl.com.

Packer fans will see CB clearly outperforming our guys.

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 10:56 AM
www.nfl.com/videos;jsessionid=0D9628AB8C65770814038324F18960EF ?videoId=09000d5d809b95ae

Checkout the highlights. Listen to John Madden's comments.

Game 3 CB leads the Redskins on a game winning drive. Highlights to follow.

This thread never would have been started if Brohm impressed like CB.

Spaulding
08-18-2008, 10:56 AM
The guy is small and didn't play top notch competition. Also, historically the run and shoot QB's (Andre Ware, David Klingler, etc.) haven't done favorable in the NFL? What makes you certain this guy will be anything special other than his padded stats against watered down competition?

I'm not saying he can't be successful but odds are better he'll wash out like many QB's in this league than he'll end up being a late round gem.

Then again Brohm could wash out just as well but I have a much better feeling about him than I do about Brennan.

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 11:01 AM
s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff345/kylesthayer/?action=view&current=RedskinsGameWinningDrive.flv

Zool
08-18-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm not claiming to be some QB expert, but Brennan's release is unorthodox. He does have a knack for finding open guys though. Maybe he's like Bernie Kosar. Not the best looking QB, but effective.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Let's revisit this thread in 2 years.

cpk1994
08-18-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm not claiming to be some QB expert, but Brennan's release is unorthodox. He does have a knack for finding open guys though. Maybe he's like Bernie Kosar. Not the best looking QB, but effective.ALso, he ran the run and shoot, a pass happy offense. I think that should give anyone pause.

Ballboy
08-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Anyone hear any rumblings about any DT's that maybe getting cut or may come available in the next few weeks?

I'm really concerned about he DL, just wondering if TT can find something off the junk pile.

Pacopete4
08-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Anyone hear any rumblings about any DT's that maybe getting cut or may come available in the next few weeks?

I'm really concerned about he DL, just wondering if TT can find something off the junk pile.

Would it matter? TT doesn't sign anyone anyways.. we'll have to wait til next years draft to fill that void

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 11:12 AM
The guy is small and didn't play top notch competition.

Is 6'2" 220 lbs too small. Is playing against USC, Wisconsin, Alabama, Georgia, Purdue, Arizona State, Oregon State, Washington, Fresno State and Boise State not top notch competition. Have you actually watched CB or repeating what illegitimate criticisms? Not trying to flame you at all.

Also, historically the run and shoot QB's (Andre Ware, David Klingler, etc.) haven't done favorable in the NFL?

Those guys did not play for an NFL coach. Coach Jones has refined his version of the run and shoot for the NFL. Ever watched the Patriots and Colts? They use the run and shoot without calling it such. In fact the Colts continually used to ask for Hawaii tape -- presto many of the routes are very similar to JJ's offense.

What makes you certain this guy will be anything special other than his padded stats against watered down competition?

Except for Georgia Hawaii moved the ball against EVERYONE.

I'm not saying he can't be successful but odds are better he'll wash out like many QB's in this league than he'll end up being a late round gem.

Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Marc Bulger, Matt Hasselbeck, Jim Zorn, Joe Montana, etc.

Then again Brohm could wash out just as well but I have a much better feeling about him than I do about Brennan.

Based on tape it CB is way ahead of Brohm.

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm not claiming to be some QB expert, but Brennan's release is unorthodox. He does have a knack for finding open guys though. Maybe he's like Bernie Kosar. Not the best looking QB, but effective.

Zorn changed his delivery to a three quarters. Sidearm is only reserved where the window exists which Coach Jones stated as an advantage like Flutie.

Freak Out
08-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Colt has a chance to be a pretty good NFL QB if he is coached by the right guy and listens to them.

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Colt has a chance to be a pretty good NFL QB if he is coached by the right guy and listens to them.

Noted. Coach Zorn is already publicly scolding CB about risk taking and mechanics. The buzz for CB is already overwhelming -- jersey is sold out and after practice autographs are insane. CB is already more popular than Jason Taylor. When has a sixth round pick garnered so much attention this early?

CB possess the intangibles John Madden focused upon. Unfortunately our backup qbs may not have these intangibles.

Lurker64
08-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Would it matter? TT doesn't sign anyone anyways.. we'll have to wait til next years draft to fill that void

Now, one of the things that bugs me the most about Ted Thompson's critics, is that they oftentimes completely ignore Thompson's past behavior when making their criticisms. While Thompson does not generally participate much in the big flashy free agent period (Woodson, Pickett, and Chillar notwithstanding) it's entirely false to claim that he is not active in waiver wire acquisitions and signing post-preseason cuts.

For example:

Atari Bigby was a waiver wire cut that Thompson picked up, and placed on the practice squad before eventually promoting to the roster.
Ryan Grant was traded for at or around the training camp cut deadline.
John Kuhn (who got a significant amount of playing time last year) was a Waiver Wire acquisition.
Donald Lee was signed as a free Agent in September '05, right before the season, after the Dolphins cut him.
Tramon Williams was signed to the practice squad by Thompson as a Free Agent in November of 06 after being cut by the Texans after their final preseason game.

Not even counting the various pickups of castoffs Thompson has done, and subsequently casted off himself, he has picked up quite a few guys who have made major contributions or are expected to from other people's training camp cuts.

Be critical of Thompson's inactivity in free agency, but be aware that it's simply the "high profile" guys that Thompson doesn't sign, and he does sign the "low profile" guys with some frequency and success.

Spaulding
08-18-2008, 12:44 PM

Is 6'2" 220 lbs too small. Is playing against USC, Wisconsin, Alabama, Georgia, Purdue, Arizona State, Oregon State, Washington, Fresno State and Boise State not top notch competition. Have you actually watched CB or repeating what illegitimate criticisms? Not trying to flame you at all.

And how many of those games did he lead the Rainbows to victory - he looked mostly ordinary against better competition. In 2007 the only teams I recall them playing were Georgia (ugly) and a mediocre Washington team. Don't recall much prior other than being a Badger fan he got handed a loss by Bucky.

220lbs since bowl game? 20 lbs on his frame in such a short time frame - you sure this his legit weight or him wearing a backpack loaded with rocks? He's small framed (small wrists, not sure about the size of his hands, not a big 6'2 and so his height might be a stretch as well. Remember high school football and adding 2 inches and 20-30 lbs :)

Also, historically the run and shoot QB's (Andre Ware, David Klingler, etc.) haven't done favorable in the NFL?

Those guys did not play for an NFL coach. Coach Jones has refined his version of the run and shoot for the NFL. Ever watched the Patriots and Colts? They use the run and shoot without calling it such. In fact the Colts continually used to ask for Hawaii tape -- presto many of the routes are very similar to JJ's offense.

I then must ask, what players has June Jones produced? Also, honestly what similarities can you really come up with the Patriots/Colts and Hawaii? It's about formation and QB options that make up the Run and Shoot.

What makes you certain this guy will be anything special other than his padded stats against watered down competition?

Where at 10 of the games in each season were against some questionable competition. I know many BCS teams pad their schedules (Wisconsin is always quite guilty of this) but that makes up the vast majority of who the Rainbows play each season whether they want to or not being that they are in the WAC.

Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Marc Bulger, Matt Hasselbeck, Jim Zorn, Joe Montana, etc.

Tape from OTA's and this short preseaon? Isn't that a little small of a data set to come to any real conclusion yet? Plus was he playing against the first string defense? I'm guessing many of the people on the defense at that time don't even make final rosters.

If he's a stud, I'll eat crow and commend you on seeing something most NFL GM's didn't see. Either way we're in a wait as the report card won't come out for a few years on Brennan and Brohm.

Partial
08-18-2008, 01:27 PM
We'll look back at this and see. I don't think Colt Brennan is a very good NFL prospect. Saying that June Jones and their gun and gun (play on run and gun) offense is better preparation for the NFL than Bobby Petrino's pro style offense is looney in my opinion.

I think Brohm will be a pretty good player. Give him a season or two.

AV David
08-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I hoped the Packers would draft him at some point. I saw him as medium risk - high reward guy. I watched Hawaii v Boise State last year. Hawaii scored touch downs on all but 2 series. He was incredible. He was certainly worth a 5 or 6.

Where was he drafted, 4 or 5?

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 03:38 PM
I hoped the Packers would draft him at some point. I saw him as medium risk - high reward guy. I watched Hawaii v Boise State last year. Hawaii scored touch downs on all but 2 series. He was incredible. He was certainly worth a 5 or 6.

Where was he drafted, 4 or 5?

sixth round. previous year projected a second.

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 04:01 PM

And how many of those games did he lead the Rainbows to victory - he looked mostly ordinary against better competition. In 2007 the only teams I recall them playing were Georgia (ugly) and a mediocre Washington team. Don't recall much prior other than being a Badger fan he got handed a loss by Bucky.

This is a totally different topic but Hawaii lacks the budget and resources of BCS schools. Thus Hawaii's roster may not always be strong. What Coach Jones was able to accomplish was amazing.

Colt performed well in ALL BCS games except Georgia. 2 year record -- 23 - 4.

220lbs since bowl game? 20 lbs on his frame in such a short time frame - you sure this his legit weight or him wearing a backpack loaded with rocks? He's small framed (small wrists, not sure about the size of his hands, not a big 6'2 and so his height might be a stretch as well. Remember high school football and adding 2 inches and 20-30 lbs :)

Check out the video. If you want to nit pick that is your choice. I only hope you evaluate Colt's play based on play rather than repetitive overly critical harping.

I then must ask, what players has June Jones produced? Also, honestly what similarities can you really come up with the Patriots/Colts and Hawaii? It's about formation and QB options that make up the Run and Shoot.

Unsure of your run and shoot knowledge. Basically there are no designed routes. Everything is based on the receivers and qb reading coverages exactly the same. Spread offenses lineup the same but are quite different from JJ's run and shoot. In fact what Urban Meyer and Paul Johnson run in JJ's opinion is a spread wishbone. Formation means nothing.

Coach Jones used to talk on his coaches show how the Patriots and Colts also requested Hawaii's coaching tape. In fact Coach Jones mentioned that Coach McCarthy, Coach Reid and Coach Zorn (CB's current coach) requested CB's game tapes.

JJ has coached the following with most if not all having their best season under Coach Jones:

1. Jim Kelly
2. Warren Moon
3. Bobby Hebert
4. Jeff George

Coach Jones compares CB favorably to these guys. No offense but I will trust Coach Jones over Mel Kiper and individuals who repeat Kiper without closely evaluating play.

Again please base a CB opinion on play.

Where at 10 of the games in each season were against some questionable competition. I know many BCS teams pad their schedules (Wisconsin is always quite guilty of this) but that makes up the vast majority of who the Rainbows play each season whether they want to or not being that they are in the WAC.

Tape from OTA's and this short preseaon? Isn't that a little small of a data set to come to any real conclusion yet? Plus was he playing against the first string defense? I'm guessing many of the people on the defense at that time don't even make final rosters.

Granted. The only reason for the thread is that BB is slotted as the backup. IMO BB's play does not reflect a backup position. CB does.

If he's a stud, I'll eat crow and commend you on seeing something most NFL GM's didn't see. Either way we're in a wait as the report card won't come out for a few years on Brennan and Brohm.

Agreed except CB starts and performs better than Brohm does.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Brennan had a nice first game against the Colts backups and future cutbaits, but he did little last week. This week, his stats were more impressive than he was. The final quarter of the Jets vs. Redskins was the only football action I got to see all weekend. He mostly got sacked and threw a couple of dumpoffs. His 33 yard game winning TD was a short dump over the middle to some fifth string TE. Some fifth string safety went for the interception, missed it, and the fifth string TE rumbled 30 yards for a TD. Brennan didn't do anything that impressed me.

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Brennan had a nice first game against the Colts backups and future cutbaits, but he did little last week. This week, his stats were more impressive than he was. The final quarter of the Jets vs. Redskins was the only football action I got to see all weekend. He mostly got sacked and threw a couple of dumpoffs. His 33 yard game winning TD was a short dump over the middle to some fifth string TE. Some fifth string safety went for the interception, missed it, and the fifth string TE rumbled 30 yards for a TD. Brennan didn't do anything that impressed me.

Noted. Has Brohm or Flynn performed any better?

Fifth string -- is this not a bit of an exaggeration? What would happen if CB performed like Brohm or cut like Ainge? The Kiper system qb nonsense surfaces.

If you want to discount CB be my guest.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2008, 04:22 PM

No. So what?

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Fifth string -- is this not a bit of an exaggeration?

5-C.Brennan pass short middle to 85-J.Goode for 33 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Sorry. Does 4th string sound better?
http://www.redskins.com/team/depthchart.jsp

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Fifth string -- is this not a bit of an exaggeration? What would happen if CB performed like Brohm or cut like Ainge? The Kiper system qb nonsense surfaces.

If you want to discount CB be my guest.

Who cares if Brohm or Flynn has performed better? The issue is strictly CB...and let's not kid ourselves...he isn't out there like Brohm competing against second stringers.

Fifth stringer: Stick to what you pretend to know. Goode was undrafted..and certainly is behind Cooley, Fred Davis, Todd Yoder, and Ecker who was drafted in the 7th.

So, giving you the benefit of the doubt...Goode is a 4th string TE. Brennan wa playing with and against SCRUBS.

And, calling CB a second rounder last year..proof please. Funny, you discount Kiper..who makes those kind of assesments...yet, you rely on them to buttress CB. CB was no more a second rounder than i am. He woulda been exposed like he was at the camps and bowl games.

P.S. Your june jones bs...is just that. Calling Kelly having his best years under june jones...LOL. The USFL. LOL Not to mention that JJ was the WR coach...hmm, funny..i didn't know Kelly was a WR? :roll:

Same for George...what, he had 23/34 TDs in ATL. He put up 23 in 10 games with the Vikes. Don't mention those hi int #s in ATL. LOL

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 04:30 PM

No. So what?

The point is we are trying to get a backup qb. If it fails 4 qbs must be on the roster.

Are you comfortable with Brohm as the backup?

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2008, 04:31 PM
The point is we are trying to get a backup qb. If it fails 4 qbs must be on the roster.

No. I wouldn't be comfortable with Brennan either.

I don't know that much about Brennan. I saw him in one game last year, and he stunk in the bowl game (to be fair, his team was overmatched). He looked like another Timmy Chang to me. He seemed like the typical run and shoot college QB who rarely makes in the NFL. Chang set all kinds of records at Hawaii. So did Klingler, Ware, the kid out of Texas Tech, and a host of others. His arm was supposed to be suspect, and I didn't see anything in the Jets-Redskins game to make me think the scouts were wrong. They could be wrong, but he's proven little playing late (scrubs) in three preseason games--apparently one of which he was good, one he was bad, and the other he was okay but fortunate.

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Who cares if Brohm or Flynn has performed better? The issue is strictly CB...and let's not kid ourselves...he isn't out there like Brohm competing against second stringers.

Who is making plays? I can not control Coach Zorn's substituting.

Fifth stringer: Stick to what you pretend to know. Goode was undrafted..and certainly is behind Cooley, Fred Davis, Todd Yoder, and Ecker who was drafted in the 7th.

So, giving you the benefit of the doubt...Goode is a 4th string TE. Brennan wa playing with and against SCRUBS.

Maybe the guy moves up to 3rd string. Of course he is not beating out davis or cooley.

And, calling CB a second rounder last year..proof please.

This was the official draft grade from the nfl. CB though he was a first rounder as did Coach Jones which was a factor in rturning for his senior year. Prove I am wrong with your utter nonsense.

Funny, you discount Kiper..who makes those kind of assesments...yet, you rely on them to buttress CB. CB was no more a second rounder than i am. He woulda been exposed like he was at the camps and bowl games.

Never said Kiper graded CB as a second rounder. Sorry if you worship Kiper, Ryan Leaf and Mike Williams.

P.S. Your june jones bs...is just that. Calling Kelly having his best years under june jones...LOL. The USFL. LOL

Same for George...what, he had 23/34 TDs in ATL. He put up 23 in 10 games with the Vikes. Don't mention those hi int #s in ATL. LOL[/quote]

What JJ bs. What are your credentials to call BS on Coach Jones and pretend to be a second rounder?

I support Brohm but he is a disappointment so far. Keep worshiping Brohm and throwing stones at CB. Lets see who has the better rookie and NFL career.

rbaloha1
08-18-2008, 04:44 PM

No. I wouldn't be comfortable with Brennan either.

I don't know that much about Brennan. I saw him in one game last year, and he stunk in the bowl game (to be fair, his team was overmatched). He looked like another Timmy Chang to me. He seemed like the typical run and shoot college QB who rarely makes in the NFL. Chang set all kinds of records at Hawaii. So did Klingler, Ware, the kid out of Texas Tech, and a host of others. His arm was supposed to be suspect, and I didn't see anything in the Jets-Redskins game to make me think the scouts were wrong. They could be wrong, but he's proven little playing late (scrubs) in three preseason games--apparently one of which he was good, one he was bad, and the other he was okay but fortunate.

Thanks. Plenty of you tube videos. TC was not an NFL prospect. Can not even make the CFL.

Yes, TC was a system qb but not CB.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 05:05 PM

Who is making plays? I can not control Coach Zorn's substituting.

Maybe the guy moves up to 3rd string. Of course he is not beating out davis or cooley.

And, calling CB a second rounder last year..proof please.

This was the official draft grade from the nfl. CB though he was a first rounder as did Coach Jones which was a factor in rturning for his senior year. Prove I am wrong with your utter nonsense.

Funny, you discount Kiper..who makes those kind of assesments...yet, you rely on them to buttress CB. CB was no more a second rounder than i am. He woulda been exposed like he was at the camps and bowl games.

Never said Kiper graded CB as a second rounder. Sorry if you worship Kiper, Ryan Leaf and Mike Williams.

P.S. Your june jones bs...is just that. Calling Kelly having his best years under june jones...LOL. The USFL. LOL

Same for George...what, he had 23/34 TDs in ATL. He put up 23 in 10 games with the Vikes. Don't mention those hi int #s in ATL. LOL

What JJ bs. What are your credentials to call BS on Coach Jones and pretend to be a second rounder?

I support Brohm but he is a disappointment so far. Keep worshiping Brohm and throwing stones at CB. Lets see who has the better rookie and NFL career.[/quote]

No you can't control his subbing, but you can take into account who he is playing against.

3rd string: Ok, now you are switching the argument. The point is that he passed to a 4th/5th stringer..and that is who they are playing against.

Oh, btw, doubt he is going to pass Yoder into 3rd string.

NFL: Nope, you can't disprove a negative. You made the assertion...back it up. Should't be hard for you to find that NFL info. LOL

BTW, doubt you are right. Rivals had him as a top ten QB. And, no way was he going to go ahead of guys like Henne, Brohm, etc.

Jones: Are you daft. You stated that certain players had their best years under him. That is factually incorrect. You can talk all you want, but the truth doesn't support you.

1. He was WR coach of the Gamblers....no effect on Kelly.
2. Best season for George. Factually incorrect. He threw for the 2nd most yards in Oak, most tds, lowest int %, 2nd highest td %, etc.

Highest ints...atl under jones, most fumbles lost..atl, sacks..under jones,

3. Warren Moon. Do you even know football? JJ was his QB coach. Now you are calling the QB coach more important than the Head Coach or OC. Hmm, guess we should be crediting Bevell more for favre. :roll:

But, again..you are factually incorrect. One can easily look and see that moon had better years after jones was gone. 90, 91, 92, etc.

4. Bobby Hebert. Funny, he makes his only pro bowl before JJ installed the run and shoot. Oops. :oops:

The only season Hebert got under Jones was 96...when he threw more ints than TDs. Yep, that is good for a QB. :roll:

Worshipping: Find one post where i have even praised Brohm. You are a dolt. And, I doubt either one sees significant action on the field this year, but i'm more confident brohm will be closer than CB to gettting on the field.

Stones: Who has thrown stones. I've merely pointed out where you been factually incorrect and shown blind worship for a player.

P.S. if you are going to try and comment about my post..you should really learn how to do it right..otherwise it just looks like a mess. :lol: