PDA

View Full Version : USA Today article on Al Harris

Chubbyhubby
06-15-2006, 09:03 PM
GreenBay Packers cornerback Al Harris, 31: "Just ask any NFL reciever, and they will tell you that Al Harris is the most underrated cornerback in the league." NFL Network analyst Solomon Wilcots says. (He is a) pure technician in bump-'n'-run coverage, which is becoming a lost art. His unusually long arms allow for complete control and devastating jams at the line of scrimmage. Exellent at baiting quarterbacks by disguising his man or zone assignments.

Murphy37
06-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Harris is fun to watch. He is freakishly strong for a little guy too. I thought I read somewhere that he can bench 4 bills. That's alot of weight for a dude who weighs less than 200 lbs. But it would explain his elite ability at the bump and run. His speed, or lack there of can hurt him at times, and I fear that he does not have many yrs. left in him. Thus, I would not be suprised if he never gets a big contract, and one of the young guys is groomed for his position. Should be interesting to see what happens after this year. I say he's the starter for this year, but not next. Just a hunch.

billy_oliver880
06-15-2006, 11:22 PM
I guess I never saw the problem with the contract he has right now. It seems fair...no?

packerpete
06-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Harris' contract is fair, he evaluated it as such when he signed the goddam thing.

If these no-brained players wanna keep crying about money, just sign one year deals.

Oh, thats right, if they only sign one year deals, they cant extort huge signing bonuses.

Convenient how these guys forget how much up-front cash they ran off with as soon as their salary is all they are making.

Where, oh where, has integrity gone in this crazy world?

Patler
06-16-2006, 06:14 AM
Player get upset with the team for their contracts. They should be angry with their agents, financial advisors and others who are supposed to look after their best interests.

Rastak
06-16-2006, 06:23 AM
I guess I never saw the problem with the contract he has right now. It seems fair...no?

Perfectly fair...I thought GB showed faith in the guy and gave him a nice deal. I have no idea why he'd be pissed. I'm guessing it all goes away once training camp starts because I doubt Thompson will bend an inch, nor should he, the guys contract is fine.

hurleyfan
06-16-2006, 06:28 AM
Player get upset with the team for their contracts. They should be angry with their agents, financial advisors and others who are supposed to look after their best interests.

They need to look in the freaking mirror! :evil:

red
06-16-2006, 06:41 AM

absolutely sham

they have to blame their agents and themselves. he signed it and thought it was a great deal when he signed it

now get your ass to practice. he isn't that good where he can just sit back and rely on his talent

Fritz
06-16-2006, 07:42 AM
Hey, the market changes, and you want your salary to reflect the market. I still don't understand why, when a team cuts a guy who has a contract, nobody seems to mind. That's not honoring the contract. But when a guy would like to re-do his contract, everybody's all up about "honor" and other ideals. Why shouldn't an NFL team have to honor a contract they made, no matter how stupid (i.e. Cletidus Hunt) it was?

theeaterofshades
06-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Hey, the market changes, and you want your salary to reflect the market. I still don't understand why, when a team cuts a guy who has a contract, nobody seems to mind. That's not honoring the contract. But when a guy would like to re-do his contract, everybody's all up about "honor" and other ideals. Why shouldn't an NFL team have to honor a contract they made, no matter how stupid (i.e. Cletidus Hunt) it was?

Bull puckey. They honor it through signing bonus money. If players can hold out and demand more $ when they "exceed" their contract, shouldn't teams be able to ask for $ back when they play under their contracts.

The only way to make things fair for performance would be to:

Have a base pay amount dependant on player's position and years in teh league. after that everything is incentives. Insure for a percentage higher in case of injury.

You have to play to get $

HarveyWallbangers
06-16-2006, 09:20 AM
I think the truth is somewhere in between.

The Leaper
06-16-2006, 09:22 AM
Harris can be pissed off as much as he wants...he isn't getting a new deal. He's aging and is stuck under a lengthy deal. He has no leverage to hold out either with Carroll right behind him on the depth chart.

Honestly, Harris may be slightly underpaid...but that was the chance Harris took by signing a new contract early. He could've waited when McKenzie skipped town...and when Carroll and Thomas didn't pan out right away, he might have gotten a much better deal. Harris chose to simply take a good deal right away instead of roll the dice...he made his choice, and now he is stuck with it.

NoVaDMak
06-16-2006, 09:30 AM
I agree with Harv, its a case by case scenario which is why some players get contracts extended, and some don't. I'd like to believe that these guys play for the love of the game, but reality shows that a lot of them don't. I truly hate the sense of entitlement that makes players believe that they "deserve" millions of dollars for playing a kids game. Everytime I think of holdouts, my blood pressure seems to shoot through the roof. Damn my love for all sports relating to Wisconsin.

I would love to see a system based on incentives live shades suggests, but that would never happen. Ever.

Chester Marcol
06-16-2006, 09:40 AM
We definatley live in different times. Isn't Woodsen's contract more than Harris'? Is that what started this? We may be coming to the day where long term contracts are writen in a way to keep the laters years more adjustable and keep people from pulling this stuff. Like in Harris' case it could have been written, If you are the number one corner at the begining of your third year of this contract, we will re-evaluate your salary and adjust it to a relative contract for that time or something along those lines. It sucks when no one has to honor a contract in the NFL anymore, but it seems to be the sign of the times. 1 year deals won't work but it seems 5 year deals are no longer working.

Noodle
06-16-2006, 09:58 AM
I think what's hard to factor in is the salary cap. A deal that seems fair when the available pool is 40M looks a whole lot less fair when the cap moves to 80m.

So I'm wondering whether guys might try negotiating deals that are not fixed dollar amounts but instead are fixed percentages of the cap. Owners would hate it, but screw them, when was the last time they ever blew somebody up in the hole.

Partial
06-16-2006, 10:04 AM
We definatley live in different times. Isn't Woodsen's contract more than Harris'? Is that what started this? We may be coming to the day where long term contracts are writen in a way to keep the laters years more adjustable and keep people from pulling this stuff. Like in Harris' case it could have been written, If you are the number one corner at the begining of your third year of this contract, we will re-evaluate your salary and adjust it to a relative contract for that time or something along those lines. It sucks when no one has to honor a contract in the NFL anymore, but it seems to be the sign of the times. 1 year deals won't work but it seems 5 year deals are no longer working.

Woodson's contract should be more. In terms of salary, Woodson was the highest paid player in the league last year

Harlan Huckleby
06-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Young players should sign, at most, 3-year contracts, because the market can change so much in 5 years, and young players performances are so unpredictable.

An old guy like Harris, well, he signed his final contract, a 5-year deal. At the time, everybody commented that it was too generous! His contract is now a little low compared to other top shelf corners. But I don't think it is low enough to force a rewrite. I don't blame Al Harris for wanting a new deal, but I doubt he has the leverage to get it.

Merlin
06-16-2006, 10:39 AM
I think Harris is slighted by the contract that Woodson signed earning him almost 10 Mil the first year. Harris has been solid for us ever since we picked him up. He was over shadowed in Philly because they had a lot of depth at CB at the time. We have the money, I say pay him more through incentives. I believe most of a pro players salary should be incentive based. The better you do the more you earn.

LaFours
06-16-2006, 10:47 AM
He said he isn't going to miss any of the mandatory stuff, he just wants management to know that he feels a bit overlooked now that Woodson is here making a lot more than him. I really don't have a problem with it because of the following reasons:
- His absense at the OTA's gives the likes of Hawkins and Carroll some much-needed reps with the #1 D
- He stands less of a chance on injuring himself not being here (although the Big Ben saga weakens this aspect of my argument...but I'm still gonna say it)
- He already knows the defense from last year and the modifications will be minor at best (per Sanders)
- The first four teams we face are Chicago, New Orleans, Detroit, Philly, so the first month of the season the only WR's we will face that are of concern are Muhammed (Chicago), Stallworth (NO), Williams, (Det.) and ??? (Philly). The first real test for our secondary will be in Week 5 against St. Louis.

It's really not that big of a deal when you put it in perspective...but what else is there to talk about in the middle of June? So I'm all for the conversation.

chain_gang
06-16-2006, 10:56 AM
I don't know what to think about the whole situation, but I can't wait to find out what happens when people start picking on Al's side of the field now that they have woodson. If he can prove it this year, which he'll have to in order to keep Carroll off of the field, then redo the contract, but I don't know that he is the shutdown corner everyone thinks he is. Hopefully he is, but honestly I think this year is going to be a bad one for Harris. I just want to see what happens when he's the one other teams throw at. I think it'll be much like in 2003 and 2004 when he got scortched most of the year.

SkinBasket
06-16-2006, 11:13 AM

That shit is all negotiated by the union in their CBA. The team is the party offering the contract to the player, not the other way around, and part of that contract is that there are terms under which the team can release the player from the contract. The parties are not equal as it is still a employer/employee relationship, no matter how many concessions the players union extorts out of the owners. So yes, the teams do "honor" the contracts in the sense that they are doing what is allowed them under the rules of the contract.

Another thing. If you want player salaries to reflect the market, then teams should be able to retroactively scale back signing bonuses when a player underpreforms, shouldn't they? Or should their salary only reflect the market when they play the way they are supposed to?

Harlan Huckleby
06-16-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm still mad as hell at Jason Wilde for causing all this trouble.

SkinBasket
06-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Owners would hate it, but screw them, when was the last time they ever blew somebody up in the hole.

When was the last time a linebacker managed an NFL team?

When was the last time a McDonald's CEO dropped a bin of fries?

When was the last time Bill Gates screwed a mainboard into a computer frame?

When was the last time you washed your own car?

CaptainKickass
06-16-2006, 11:56 AM
I guess what I don't understand in the Harris situation is why "telling" isn't enough.

Is it not enough to voice your opinion that - hey "I feel a bit slighted by the giant bonus you gave to Chuck Woodson"?

His agent has stated that he will not stage a hold out, so why can't they just send an email to TT and be done? Why must the theatrics be a part of what they are trying to accomplish?

jack's smirking revenge
06-16-2006, 12:02 PM
His agent has stated that he will not stage a hold out, so why can't they just send an email to TT and be done? Why must the theatrics be a part of what they are trying to accomplish?

Agreed. Why does this have to be public, considering he doesn't intend to hold out? You know it will be a bigger issue next year...

Oh, you know why it has to be public? Because the NFL is one of the biggest purveyors of entertainment in the world. It's a massive soap opera with overpaid actors. Yes, they're talented people, but other than providing you and me a few hours of solace with a ganj cigarette or a tankard of ale a week, what are they truly contributing to our culture? They play a game...Perhaps we should start shelling out cash to watch Everquest nerds beat up Trolls (and not Rastak or Dabaddestbear).

Off my soapbox now. This WILL NEVER END. Just as soon as we give a starter more money, another one gets irritated and threatens to leave, holdout or sitout. What is the answer?

Lower demand. Lower expectations. Bring millionaire TV stars back down to Earth. Harris' grumbling is the precursor to a solidified stance that he feels "underappreciated", which equals "give me more money". In the end, he will most likely get it because we showed Woodson the money.

tyler

Noodle
06-16-2006, 12:22 PM
When was the last time a linebacker managed an NFL team?

When was the last time a McDonald's CEO dropped a bin of fries?

When was the last time Bill Gates screwed a mainboard into a computer frame?

When was the last time you washed your own car?

Let's see:
1. Ted Thompson
2. Fairly recently, according to this: http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2003-12-23-mcdonalds_x.htm
3. He didn't screw a mainboard, but he has screwed Apple, IBM, and Netscape. Anyway, he just got fired.
4. Not since my kids turned 12.

I don't get your point. Are you saying that I watch football games so that I can enjoy the managerial acumen of guys like Snyder and Jones? And I thought I was digging ol' no. 4.

Wonder where I can get Harlan's autograph.

Carolina_Packer
06-16-2006, 01:18 PM
The players and their agents I'm sure know the drill. They sign the deal, they know that the culture is for teams to cut guys before their deals are done if they are no longer valuable to the club and that many of the deals are only worth what the team is paying in a pro-rated signing bonus, otherwise the contract is all but worthless, but looks good in the headlines when it's announced that someone is receiving a 7 year 70 million dollar deal.

As far as teams "honoring" a contract, isn't 'dead money' that the club takes on, in fact, honoring what remains to be paid out on the contract? Again, if you didn't like the contract, why did you sign it? If you believe you are a star calibre player, why not get the incentives into your contract before you sign it? It's stupid to complain about what you are worth after you sign a deal. Incentives can protect a player's pay too, especially if they are able to reach them and stay healthy. Obviously you don't want the entire contract to be incentives, but should get some of this performance-based money built in as incentive bonuses, so you do get paid when you reach these incentives. Is that too simplistic?

Chubbyhubby
06-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Its sort of funny that when I posted this article Harris's contract dispute never came up. It stated that Harris is overrated and a good player. Everyone went on the contract issue. They are makng these OTA's a bigger issue than its supposed to be. Harris doesn't have to report to these and he hasn't so what?

jack's smirking revenge
06-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Its sort of funny that when I posted this article Harris's contract dispute never came up. It stated that Harris is overrated and a good player. Everyone went on the contract issue. They are makng these OTA's a bigger issue than its supposed to be. Harris doesn't have to report to these and he hasn't so what?

I think the point is that I've read elsewhere is that he's trying to make a mild statement regarding the unhappiness around his contract. If that's real, then his grumbling will get louder. If it's fabricated by the media, then he will most likely step up and quash the specualation.

The fact that both of our starting corners didn't show up for OTAs is a cause for concern. Training camp will probably tell the tale, but it still is a cause for concern.

tyler

woodbuck27
06-16-2006, 02:01 PM
"Why shouldn't an NFL team have to honor a contract they made, no matter how stupid (i.e. Cletidus Hunt) it was?" Fritz

Because the team deserves to expect a certain level of performance from that player who inked the new fat contract.

If he gets as fat and out of shape in body . .or head soon after signing a new contract,he has to be deemed expendable. NFL players are expected to remain in good physical shape and have proper winning attitudes for the good of the team, not for selfish motives.

A trashy attitude and mouth = TRASH.

A CONTRACT is just that . . a CONTRACT. It has to be worded to protect both sides.

Al Harris arguably, would have served himself best by being at the OTA's as far as wanting a new CONTRACT. Being at the OTA's certainly wouldn't have hurt him.

This thing with Harris and a new Contract, is a time thing now and between him and his agent and TT. It should be shoved to the side as not to be any distraction, to the team's endeavors as a whole.

Partial
06-16-2006, 02:27 PM
The fact that both of our starting corners didn't show up for OTAs is a cause for concern. Training camp will probably tell the tale, but it still is a cause for concern.

Why? I think its probably good for the team if anything. Chuck and Al are about as good as they're ever going to be since they're older. Carroll and Hawkins area not even close to their limit given their physical abilities. They will benefit from the reps much more.

Packers4Ever
06-16-2006, 02:34 PM
GreenBay Packers cornerback Al Harris, 31: "Just ask any NFL reciever, and they will tell you that Al Harris is the most underrated cornerback in the league." NFL Network analyst Solomon Wilcots says. (He is a) pure technician in bump-'n'-run coverage, which is becoming a lost art. His unusually long arms allow for complete control and devastating jams at the line of scrimmage. Exellent at baiting quarterbacks by disguising his man or zone assignments.
Thanks for posting this, CH, it's nice to see a Packer player get some good press, he deserves it. I'm not going to get into the $$$ or contracts angle, (and I agree, he's paying his agent enough to watch out for him) he is just a fun guy to watch and I hope he's around for more than another year too, Murph. If he has to leave us surely someone else will scoop him up as a veteran backup?

Mazzin
06-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Just got back in from a state wide horse compition where i jumped my horse. My truck was dirty from pulling that huge traylor through all the red clay, and mud, so i washed it just this after noon like at 1;30 an its now 4 so WOW you could say just a couple hours ago :cool:

packrulz
06-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Just got back in from a state wide horse compition where i jumped my horse. My truck was dirty from pulling that huge traylor through all the red clay, and mud, so i washed it just this after noon like at 1;30 an its now 4 so WOW you could say just a couple hours ago :cool:

Well, how did you do?

jack's smirking revenge
06-16-2006, 03:10 PM

Why? I think its probably good for the team if anything. Chuck and Al are about as good as they're ever going to be since they're older. Carroll and Hawkins area not even close to their limit given their physical abilities. They will benefit from the reps much more.

Well, I do disagree with you on Carroll. Experience for backups is good, but I think Carroll's reached his ceiling.

tyler

woodbuck27
06-16-2006, 03:20 PM
"In the end, he ( Al Harris) will most likely get it because we showed Woodson the money." tyler

Does anyone know what we have now in the bank?

We have a Rookie Class to sign and how much does TT have remaining, to satisfy Al Harris's needs, even if he was to seriously consider such?

woodbuck27
06-19-2006, 12:24 PM
"In the end, he ( Al Harris) will most likely get it because we showed Woodson the money." tyler

Does anyone know what we have now in the bank?

We have a Rookie Class to sign and how much does TT have remaining, to satisfy Al Harris's needs, even if he was to seriously consider such?

Bump !??????? How much $ do we have over $ Ten Million of Cap space?

Does anyone know ?

Partial
06-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Well, I do disagree with you on Carroll. Experience for backups is good, but I think Carroll's reached his ceiling.

What I think would be really interesting is a little something I like to call the Ahmad Carroll Safety Experiment. Obviously, Carroll has shown repeatedly that he is a tough, physical mofo with a complete lack of ball skills. Sure, he may be a little short for a strong safety, but I could seem him adding even more bulk to his frame, and being an unbelievably good strong safety in the future.

The Packers are high on Horton and Hawkins. Both are like lightning and very good athletes who don't have much football experience. Blackmon looked the part of a solid cornerback in college and if he's healthy in time for the start of camp I could see him as the dime corner beating out Hawkins.

It won't ever happen because of Manual and Roman, but it would be certainly be something interesting to see and something that could potentially be a benefit to the team.