PDA

View Full Version : Wrong side of the Bubble

CaliforniaCheez
08-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Some players are not in the top 53 players to be kept but could through fortuitous circumstances (like going on IR) could survive the final cuts.

Hunter

Hodge (could be practice squad)

Humphrey (could be practice squad)

Muir (could be practice squad)

Swain (could be practice squad)

Orrin Thompson (could be practice squad)

Wynn (could be practice squad)

Ted will have to gauge the market to see if a team might want to trade for any of them. Perhaps for a DT or conditional draft pick.

Any or all of these players could be gone in a couple of weeks. Some will be difficult to sneek onto the practice squad.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 05:12 PM
NO players "sneeks" onto the practice squad. No player can be hid their.

GMs are definitely looking at each other's pt.

Spaulding
08-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Some players are not in the top 53 players to be kept but could through fortuitous circumstances (like going on IR) could survive the final cuts.

Hunter

Hodge (could be practice squad)

Humphrey (could be practice squad)

Muir (could be practice squad)

Swain (could be practice squad)

Orrin Thompson (could be practice squad)

Wynn (could be practice squad)

Ted will have to gauge the market to see if a team might want to trade for any of them. Perhaps for a DT or conditional draft pick.

Any or all of these players could be gone in a couple of weeks. Some will be difficult to sneek onto the practice squad.

Hunter - I think makes the team by default given the defensive line problems/injuries and needing to possibly move Jenkins inside.

Hodge - I think he's been reborn since the knee surgies and possibly our 4th best linebacker. I think he's shown enough to make the initial 53 man roster.

Humphrey - barring Havnos (sp?) showing enough intrigue to make the roster likely fills out the three standard slots for TE depth. Lee and Finley are locks so barring an injury to Humphrey I think he makes the roster.

Muir- pretty much camp body who somehow was around last year but I think he's gone.

Swain - too much depth at WR already and so possibly practice squad or just flat out cut.

Thompson - practice squad or cut is my guess.

Wynn - perennial tease but with him missing time again this pre-season he's as good as gone IMO due to his lack of being able to stay healthy. Seriously this guy needs to buy a new constitution on eBay.

KYPack
08-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Isn't Swain the only one of this herd that PS eligible?

RashanGary
08-18-2008, 05:40 PM
If Hodge keeps stepping up I could see Tracy White cut.

Joemailman
08-18-2008, 06:43 PM

I believe you are correct sir.

Maybe, but TT said recently that ST would be a very important consideration in making the final cuts. That would bode well for White unless Hodge shows he can do as well.

Pacopete4
08-18-2008, 06:44 PM

Really, I thought we signed White because of how he is such a leader on our special teams units?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 06:49 PM

I believe you are correct sir.

I await patlerization...but, i think you are wrong. Young players are eligible to be on the squad...you just can't be on it for more than 3 years.

You can even pay them more money if you so desire. I think the pats did that with Yates...he had been on and off the regular squad.

Pacopete4
08-18-2008, 06:51 PM
This is what I found on the rules of Practice Squad..

After noon EST on September 2nd, each club may establish a Practice Squad of no more than eight (8) players who are free agents.The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than two previous seasons on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment. A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the club’s physical and been a member of the club’s Practice Squad for at least three regular season or postseason games during his first two Practice Squad seasons, and for at least one regular season or postseason game during his third Practice Squad season. (A bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after the regular season or postseason weekend in question.) and who did not dress for more than eight (8) regular season games during their only accrued (i.e., on the 53 man roster for at least 6 games) season. Minimum salary for a practice squad player shall be $4,700 per week for the 2006-07 League Years, $5,200 per week for the 2008-10 League Years and the 2011 League Year if it is an Uncapped Year, and $5,700 per week for the 2011 League Year if it is a Capped Year and the 2012 League Year, including postseason weeks in which his Club is in the playoffs. Aigher salary can be negotiated. In addition, a player under contract to a club as a Practice Squad player is completely free to sign a contract with another NFL club during the season in order to be on the second club's Active/Inactive (i.e., 53 man) list. A practice squad player may not sign an NFL Player Contract with his Club’s next opponent later than 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the sixth day preceding the game (except in bye weeks, when the prohibition commences on the tenth day preceding the game).If another club signs a Practice Squad player to its 53 man roster it does not have to provide any sort of compensation to the player's former club but it generally must keep the player on the 53 man roster for at least 3 weeks, thereby mandating that he earns in 2007 the minimum first year salary for said 3 week period ($285,000 prorated weekly). Also note that a team can add and release players from the practice squad as often as it desires and the eight (8) man limit does not have to be maintained. A player may be on the practice squad for two seasons; three weeks on the practice squad count as a season. An otherwise eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment. The League may elect to allow some or all Clubs to add to their practice squads one additional player, who shall not count against the limit above, whose citizenship and principal place of residence are outside the United States and its Territories (“International Player”). The League’s election in any one season shall not determine or affect its election in any subsequent season

CaliforniaCheez
08-18-2008, 07:29 PM

Hunter is the only one listed who isn't practice squad eligible.

Hodge only has 8 games on the game day roster and is eligible.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Hodge only has 8 games on the game day roster and is eligible.

The first criteria is a player who does not have an accrued NFL season. I think Hodge has that. I don't think it matters that he only played 8 games. I could be wrong though.

(i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s)

CaliforniaCheez
08-18-2008, 07:36 PM
The reason those are listed is they have trouble getting on my 53 player list.

Offensive line: Clifton, College, Barbre, Coston, Wells, Spitz, Sitton, Tauscher, Moll. (9)

TE: Lee, Finley, and a player picked up during the final cuts. (3)

WR: Jennings, Driver, Jones, Martin, Nelson, (5)

FB: Hall, Kuhn (2)

RB: Grant, Jackson, Morency (3)

QB: Rodgers, Flynn, Brohm (3)

25 on offense

Defensive Line: Kampman, Montgomery, Pickett, Cole, Jolly, Harrell, Muir* Pickett, Gbaja-Biamila, Thompson (10)

LB: Hawk, Barnett, Poppinga, Chillar, Bishop, White (6)

CB's: Woodson, Harris, Williams, Lee, Blackmon (5)

Safety: Rouse, Bigby, Collins, Peprah (4)

25 on Defense plus PK, P, LS

There may a player in the final cuts better than Muir and isn't picked up on waivers by another team. I expect than with Humphrey.

Zool
08-18-2008, 08:59 PM
IR counts as time served as well so Wynn is out.

ahaha
08-18-2008, 10:23 PM

This seems absurd to me. White is a demon on special teams. Why would you cut your stud ST guy to keep another inside linebacker? if anyone should worry about the emergence of Hodge, it's Bishop.

Pacopete4
08-18-2008, 10:24 PM

This seems absurd to me. White is a demon on special teams. Why would you cut your stud ST guy to keep another inside linebacker? if anyone should worry about the emergence of Hodge, it's Bishop.

Or Chillar... that guy hasn't shown me a damn thing worth writing home about..

CaliforniaCheez
08-19-2008, 12:01 AM
IR counts as time served as well so Wynn is out.

Do you have a reference for that?

Partial
08-19-2008, 01:18 AM
I really hope Hodge stays healthy and puts together a solid season. It's hard not to root for the guy, not to mention it'd be nice for all the senior members here to be able to recollect and gloat about all the potential they saw in him way back when :lol: