PDA

View Full Version : 11 on 11 Versus The Injury Factor

pbmax
08-19-2008, 08:00 AM
At JSO's blog, Greg Bedard clearly believes McCarthy has made a mistake in not working more 11 on 11 drills deeper into camp. He mentioned it in the 49er game coverage and again today.

McCarthy is facing an injury list to his starters that he has not seen this early since his tenure began. Grant, Pickett, Hawk, Jennings, KGB (3rd down), Woodson, Harris and Wells have all missed preseason games and camp time. Clifton and Tauscher have all missed time and been excused from some morning practices.

All teams have fewer bodies in camp due to a lack of exemptions from NFL Europa. The Packers have a very short camp this year due to a late start of their pre-season schedule.

If you were coach, would you go 11 on 11 more and risk increasing the injured list? Or would you back off?

The Leaper
08-19-2008, 08:03 AM
I prefer more...although it wouldn't make too much more difference right now because starters are being held out. Going 11-on-11 without Jennings, Grant, Hawk or Pickett isn't going to help cohesion any.

Noodle
08-19-2008, 08:15 AM
I guess I'm not convinced going 11s is required to build cohesion. But I'm on thin ice, as my experience here stops at high school, where we didn't do a lot of 11 v. 11, but we did do a lot of hitting in unit drills (OL v. DL, receivers v. dbs).

It'd be interesting to hear the perspective of some of the folks on the thread who have experience playing at higher levels or at coaching.

bobblehead
08-19-2008, 09:10 AM
My take on it is this...you execute what you practice. If you don't hit in camp, you aren't ready to hit in week one. If you stay indoors you aren't ready for the cold. If the QB's practice reading 7, they aren't ready for 11. Your body and mind adjust to what you prepare and practice. I can make 1000 layups in a row...until there is a hand in my face.

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.