View Full Version : Jason Wilde recaps OTA attendance issue

motife
06-16-2006, 05:47 AM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=87843&ntpid=3

Packers: Pickett shows up, but many still MIA from OTAs

JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
June 16, 2006

GREEN BAY - Ryan Pickett finally showed up for work Thursday, after missing the first nine days of the Green Bay Packers' organized team activity practices. And the veteran nose tackle sounded like he felt really bad about the time he missed.

"I feel like I let my team down by not being here," said Pickett, who signed a four-year, $14 million free-agent deal in March that included $5 million in bonus money up front.

"It hurt me that I couldn't be here. I mean it. I take it on myself; I want to be a leader and stuff like that. A leader doesn't miss this many days, so I'm kind of hard on myself. But at the same time I had stuff I had to deal with."

Asked what that "stuff" was, Pickett said he has "been going through a little personal matter." Pickett, who is about 10 pounds heavier than his target weight of 325 pounds, refused to elaborate, but he said "the coaching staff has been so supportive in helping me deal with it."

That may be true, but a number of players said Thursday that new coach Mike McCarthy made it clear to them in a team meeting earlier this week that he is not pleased with the attendance so far at the OTAs, even though the workouts are technically voluntary.

McCarthy was not scheduled to meet with reporters Thursday, but attendance-related questions have not been his favorite topic during his every-other-practice sideline news briefings.

He said on the first day of OTAs that he is "in the process of changing a culture as far as how offseasons have gone here in the past," and while participation in the offseason conditioning and weight-training program is up, significantly more players have missed on-field workouts than under former coach Mike Sherman.

Sherman never asked for his entire team to attend all 14 allotted OTA workouts, asking veterans to participate in some of them in conjunction with the post-draft minicamp and some during the first 10 days of June. The rest were designated for younger players and were closed to reporters.

This year, McCarthy had an extra voluntary minicamp - allowed by the NFL because he is a new coach - and asked the veteran players to take part in all the OTAs. So far, of the 94 players on the roster, only 50 have participated in every one of the 10 practices, which began May 31.

With Pickett's arrival, only two players - cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson - have failed to participate in a single practice. McCarthy said Tuesday that he doesn't expect Harris, who is unhappy with his contract, to attend and Woodson's attendance is "up in the air."

Only four workouts remain - today and Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The players are then off until training camp opens July 28.

General manager Ted Thompson said he wasn't aware of what McCarthy told the players about the attendance, but the GM didn't seem overly concerned about the number of missed practices.

"I can't comment on that. I wasn't there; I don't sit in on team meetings," Thompson said. "(But) it's voluntary. What are you going to do, gnash your teeth and wail at the wind? We'd like all our guys here. We'd like 100 percent attendance. We're not there yet. We're working on it."

Most players have missed time because of what they've called scheduling conflicts, while McCarthy has used the catch-all "personal reasons" when asked about most of the absences. Veteran fullback William Henderson, for example, was missing Thursday because he went on a family vacation.

Wide receiver Rod Gardner, who missed the voluntary minicamp May 19 to 21 and returned to practice Thursday after missing five of the first nine OTAs, said he has missed time for a number of reasons - closing on some property he was selling, a family graduation and taking care of his young son.

"I think if you come to training camp ready, in shape, focused and knowing what the (heck) you're doing, then that's when it counts," Gardner said. "You can come out here and shine in OTAs every day and then get to training camp and do nothing. I think this is a steppingstone. But if you know what you're doing and you know the plays and you're not able to be here, how much are you really losing? It's still June."

Defensive end Aaron Kampman, who has taken part in every offseason practice, acknowledged that some teammates have been unhappy with the new staff expecting them to give up most of the month of June. But Kampman said they're gradually accepting the change.

"I look at it as, there was a way that it used to be - that's one creek. There's the way it is now - that's another creek. And those two are merging together, and when two creeks merge, there's usually some rumbling that happens and then it smoothes out," Kampman said. "Guys are trying to get used to it. The goals are now different in the offseason. That's the reality. So everyone's trying to adjust. Some guys adjusted quickly, some guys are still trying to adjust."

Extra points

Wide receiver Donald Driver returned after missing Tuesday. Safety Nick Collins was missing, while NFL Europe safety Atari Bigby practiced for the first time. Tight end David Martin was missing for the third straight practice. ... Linebacker Tim Goodwell practiced for the first time. ... Defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila practiced after missing Tuesday's workout because a slight shoulder injury.

red
06-16-2006, 06:24 AM
i don't like it

sure they are voluntary

but when teams like the vikings get 100% turnout at theirs, then it really make you think

you wants to win more? and who's willing to put in the extra effort to get better?

Rastak
06-16-2006, 08:09 AM
i don't like it

sure they are voluntary

but when teams like the vikings get 100% turnout at theirs, then it really make you think

you wants to win more? and who's willing to put in the extra effort to get better?

To be honest, the Vikings had 100% only on a day or two. They've also had guys miss practices here and there, just not too many I don't think.
I think they've all been excused by the coach also, like many of Green Bays.

Row 67
06-16-2006, 08:09 AM
I think sometimes, you do more with less. The NFL is a tough business and it takes a lot of physical and mental energy. Some guys might have a hard time focusing on that year-round, and actually would get burned out with all the extra focus. For them, it might actually help them be more productive during the season if they take an extended break from the game and focus on themselves, their friends, God, family, their hobby- whatever it takes to recharge the batteries so they can be mentally, physically and emotionally healthy come training camp.

Jobs aren't won right now. If those players take the time off and come back and produce during training camp and win a position on the team, I'd say that the team probably isn't out much. However, the players that are here, if they work hard and improve, its possible they pass up the dudes that aren't here. If that happens a few times, I think the guys not here will figure that out.

You can also bet that last year, the team "weeded" out the real lazy players that were locker room cancer (Clete Hunt). This offseason, we weeded out a few others (Grady Jackson). The GM/coaching staff will be weeding out a few others in training camp.

It sucks that Woodson can't even make a few practices, even Harris. However, how much do those guys actually have to be in an OTA to learn the defense? They are out on the corners playing bump and run the whole game. In some respects, the Packers were forced to sign Woodson because Carroll. You can bet GB will be drafting a CB pretty high in the draft next year. Woodson/Harris/Carroll aren't the future at CB for GB.

Partial
06-16-2006, 08:32 AM
I'd like to point out that the guys missing are all vets who will be able to pick-up the defense quick. I'd be a lot more concerned if Ahman, Taush, Cliff, Driver and Favre were missing.

Everyone says DT is one of the hardest positions to play, but once you learn how to play it you're pretty much set. Pickett will "pick it" up quick. He's just going to be a big guy and take on two blockers.

Harris already knows the defense. Woodson will be in shape by the time the season starts obviously, so why put more work on his body now? He'll be fine mentally. Physically its what i'm worried about, and if you work him too much now he could break down.

In addition to that, like DTs, cornerback is very hard to learn at the beginning, but once you've learned to play it correctly, you can step in pretty much anywhere.

The long short is that these guys missing quite honestly is probably good for the future of the team since we've got a lot of young, inexperienced guys who have freakish potential like Hawkins. We know those three starters are going to be good, so why not let the guys behind them get additional reps to improve their game? Depth is extremely important!!

Scott Campbell
06-16-2006, 09:00 AM
"I look at it as, there was a way that it used to be - that's one creek. There's the way it is now - that's another creek. And those two are merging together, and when two creeks merge, there's usually some rumbling that happens and then it smoothes out," Kampman said.

He sounds a little bit like the Zen Master Phil Jackson.

NoVaDMak
06-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Jobs aren't won right now.

I agree with you, that you can't win a job, but you sure can lose one. Just ask Thomas Jones or Lance Briggs of the Bears when they were demoted or the DT that just got cut.

Its definitely a catch 22 in that you want the starters to get a lot reps together so they learn each others tendencies and "gel," but at the same time, you want the younger players to get as many reps as possible. You can't always have both.

I'm happy to see Pickett show up and hopefully guys like Woodson and Harris come into camp healthy and ready to go. I don't want to be sitting here six months from now, regretting the fact that these guys are sucking it up because they missed the OTAs

Partial
06-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Ok, to be fair those are motivational demotions only. If you don't think Briggs is going to start, you're crazy. He's one of the best outsider linebackers in the league.

Jones may not start because they drafted benson 4th overall.

NoVaDMak
06-16-2006, 12:26 PM
True, I know that Briggs is going to start, but don't you think it's at least a little messed up that you can "lose" your starting position for something that is "optional."

pbmax
06-16-2006, 01:30 PM
i don't like it

sure they are voluntary

You also have to consider how many practices have been scheduled and who is expected to be there. 100% doesn't mean everybody on the roster for each day.

McCarthy might be overreaching a little, or it might take more than one year for the adjustment like Zen Master Kampman was saying.

woodbuck27
06-16-2006, 02:15 PM
How many of you could write a better Article than that one by Jason Wilde on "Absenteeism at the OTA's" ? Good grief ! He gets a paycheck for that mundane reporting and this coming from an AWARD WINNING sportsnews reporter.

I am wondering what sort of Contract he has, as any High School sports beat writer, could have matched . . . . that snoozer.

KYPack
06-16-2006, 02:25 PM
"I look at it as, there was a way that it used to be - that's one creek. There's the way it is now - that's another creek. And those two are merging together, and when two creeks merge, there's usually some rumbling that happens and then it smoothes out," Kampman said.

He sounds a little bit like the Zen Master Phil Jackson.

I thought the same thing, Scott.

Aaron "Yoda" Kampman