PDA

View Full Version : This Is What I Don't Get!

Maxie the Taxi
08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
From Bob McGinn's column, JS Online, August 16:

Copyright content from JSO edited

Contrast McGinn's quote with this question/answer from Mike McCarthy August 18 Press Conference:

Either McCarthy doesn't know football (or is lying) or the "scout" McGinn quoted has an axe to grind (and McGinn quoted him anyway). My money says McCarthy is honest and knows what he's talking about.

Of course, another possibility exists: McGinn did an intentional hatchet job on Bush by quoting some anonymous "scout."

At any rate, it really makes you wonder about another quote McGinn used in the same column:

I can't figure out what's really going on here, but my gut tells me that the scout who made this comment could have been with the Lions, but certainly was not with the Vikings or the Bears! I'm kind of chalking up McGinn's throwing in the anonymous "scout" quotes as his own and/or the "scout's" axe-grinding.

Anybody got a different take? (I wasn't able to watch the game.)

BallHawk
08-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Bush evoked images of Ahmad Carroll. I kid you not. It was that bad.

However, he's damn good on special teams. Runs his ass off (probably because he knows that's the only shot he's got to make the squad).

sheepshead
08-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Anyone else ever notice it's only the urinal sentinel that seems to quote scouts from another team or am I wrong?

Oscar
08-19-2008, 05:19 PM
I have to continue to question the Packers secondary coaching staff. I don't think Schottenshooter is a good coach. If my memory serves...probably doesn't... :lol: I recall reading or maybe just some here's opinion that Carroll actually played better with the staff Bates had coaching the secondary.. I realize Carroll isn't on the team but are these young guys really getting the coaching they need to succeed in the NFL??

Maxie the Taxi
08-19-2008, 05:20 PM

However, he's damn good on special teams. Runs his ass off (probably because he knows that's the only shot he's got to make the squad).

On the other hand, McCarthy said Bush's performance was "fine." What's up with that? Just blowing smoke for the benefit of Bush? That doesn't sound like McCarthy.

(Problem is I don't understand what he means by "leverage" and that Bush was playing good leverage but just in the wrong position. Is this real football speak or just psycho babble?)

bobblehead
08-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Some guys can't take critique and its possible Bush is one of them so MM is kinda soothing him. He was awful though. McGinn imo speaks the truth as he knows it, he isn't out to hatchet anyone.

I think MM talked in a circle on the leverage thing saying Bush's technique (leverage) was good, but he made the wrong decision therefore it was compeletly out of position...ie the wrong leverage for the play, thus he got no help and was beat. MM doesn't trash his players, he always says they were "fine"...that is code for bush stunk up the joint.

I also agree shotts sucks balls, not one guy has "developed" since he has been the secondary coach. Tramon is the closest thing to improving we have and I'm starting to believe its no thanx to the coach. Blackman and Bush and Carrol made/make the same mistakes over and over and don't seem to be getting better, that lands on coaching.

packers11
08-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Where does Bush stand on the Depth Chart???

Williams I know is at the #3 spot...

Blackmon Lee and Bush fighting for the #4???

How many do we keep? 5? 6? because if it's 5, bush looks like to be the odd man out...

Maxie the Taxi
08-19-2008, 05:44 PM
All this "leverage" crap and then there's the "communication" thing. Makes me think Shot's system is too complicated. (I've said this before.) Just let them play man-to-man or something simple. Then, if a guy gets smoked there're no excuses.

DonHutson
08-19-2008, 05:50 PM
McCarthy doesn't want to trash his guy in the press. He'll keep it in the film room and on the practice field where it belongs.

The scout can say he "sucks" or whatever he wants. It's an anonymous quote about a guy from another team.

Gunakor
08-19-2008, 05:53 PM

How many do we keep? 5? 6? because if it's 5, bush looks like to be the odd man out...

If we kept Bush, I'd expect him to be #6 at CB. He'd be kept for special teams, but if I ever see him take the field for a defensive snap without 3 people ahead of him going down with injury, then I have to break out the foam brick again. The TV took quite a beating last season when he was in the game.

Charles Woodson
08-19-2008, 06:57 PM

but if I ever see him take the field for a defensive snap without 3 people ahead of him going down with injury, then I have to break out the foam brick again. The TV took quite a beating last season when he was in the game.

Lol, ya know most people arent smart enough to just use the foam version. Im impressed

Badgerinmaine
08-19-2008, 07:01 PM
McCarthy doesn't want to trash his guy in the press. He'll keep it in the film room and on the practice field where it belongs.

The scout can say he "sucks" or whatever he wants. It's an anonymous quote about a guy from another team.
Exactly. He's got nothing to gain by carving him up in the press.

Maxie the Taxi
08-19-2008, 07:19 PM

Exactly. He's got nothing to gain by carving him up in the press.

I hear what you're saying.

On the other hand, I read McCarthy's Press Conference transcripts pretty religiously and pretty closely. I don't think he's ever been overly harsh on a player, but he has said some blunt criticisms which makes me think he's a pretty straight shooter.

That means he must really believe all that "leverage" business he was spouting and which also means he really believes Bush performed "fine."

Maybe I'm over-analyzing... I guess the proof will be in whether or not Bush sticks on the roster.

Joemailman
08-19-2008, 07:21 PM

Bush is listed as #3RCB behind Harris and Williams. I agree they would have to keep 6 CB's for Bush to make it. http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/

billy_oliver880
08-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Do you think the criticism should fall squarely on Bush? Wasn't the play where he was expecting some over the top help?

pbmax
08-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Communication can be as simple as changing a coverage. Leverage refers to the position of the DB opposite the receiver, to redirect a receiver inside or out for a given coverage. Remember the Giants game, Harris vs. Plaxico? Harris was playing inside leverage and getting killed on throws to the outside. It can be as simple a question as, where is the help?

McCarthy's statement clearly indicates he thought the special teams play was where he excelled. He does say he played the wrong leverage twice. And one throw was so good he might have been in trouble anyway.

That's hardly a ringing endorsement. The article about practice indicated that Bush was ahead of Lee and Blackmon, but made it seem like Williams was number 3.

deake
08-19-2008, 09:33 PM
On the two long completions it looked like pure man coverage and he wasn’t even close. The interference call was pretty questionable I thought. The thing we can’t overlook though is that these were not the best receivers in the world and what's gonna happen when he has to cover T.O.

Great football thread by the way.

digitaldean
08-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Do you think the criticism should fall squarely on Bush? Wasn't the play where he was expecting some over the top help?

The blown cover 2 play before halftime was on Bush and Bigby. No way that Atari should have let that WR get that open that deep.

The Gunshooter
08-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Bush brings back nightmares of Bhawoh Jue. Bush's problem is he plays way off the receiver and has no chance to do anything but tackle the guy after the catch and some times he can't even do that. When he comes with the nickel he is instantly targeted and usually his guy is wide open by 5-10 yards. He plays like a chicken, grow some balls, will you? It amazes me that they are still trying to train this dummy. I would make a trade for Lito Sheppard right now.

SnakeLH2006
08-21-2008, 12:07 AM

On the other hand, McCarthy said Bush's performance was "fine." What's up with that? Just blowing smoke for the benefit of Bush? That doesn't sound like McCarthy.

(Problem is I don't understand what he means by "leverage" and that Bush was playing good leverage but just in the wrong position. Is this real football speak or just psycho babble?)

I like McCarthy but I think you have to have a BS to English Translator:

1) Define fine: gonna get his ass cut soon
2) Define OK: sucked ass in the scrimmage and we are all out of jobs after this year if he doesn't make some plays or stop holding onto the goddamn ball so long
3) Define Moved On: We wanted Brett back, but Campen said "the fuck if I'll be his cribbage partner again" as that was the ultimate turning point, so now we hope Brett fails his ass off in NJ so Ted can get better draft picks
4) Define Better Pad Level: Fucking throw the damn ball away AR, Jesus, you make us look like bitches after the trade

:lol: