PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Quarterback plan failing due to lack of Quarters

Cleft Crusty
08-20-2008, 01:36 PM
It’s pretty clear what Mike McCarthy is trying to accomplish during the preseason this year, at least on offense and in particular with his quarterbacks. With the departure of Favre, and the complete lack of any quarterback with legitimate NFL experience, McCarthy must accomplish two things: prepare Aaron Rodgers to start and prepare either Brohm or Flynn to be a backup. If McCarthy only had one rookie, or only had one position (starter or backup) to prepare, this would be trivial, in terms of logistics, but since he has two positions to fill, and a pool of three players with no experience, there just aren’t enough snaps to accomplish his goal. Making matters worse is the fact that his seventh round pick is progressing faster than his second round pick, meaning that McCarthy has to continue to give both guys as many reps as possible to either bring Brohm up to speed and/or see whether Flynn will really be his guy as backup. Can McCarthy really be happy with a seventh round pick rookie backup QB starting the season? If his second round pick is worse, what choice does he have? Either way, it looks like both will have to be maintained on the 53 man roster, forcing a cut elsewhere.

And what of his starter, Aaron Rodgers? Sure, Rodgers has more experience in the system, but he’s a neophyte with real bullets flying. Even assuming a troubled offensive line comes around and provides decent pass protection and a good running game, Rodgers still has to acquire the knack of reading the defense pre-snap, making quick adjustments, and going through his progression. On the occasions when Rodgers gets decent blocking, he’s still holding the ball too long and showing tunnel vision for his primary receiver – most often Donald Driver. The optimist would argue that once the regular season arrives, Jennings, Clifton, Tauscher, Grant and a set O-line will give Rodgers every opportunity to excel, but the realist will see that Rodgers requires a lot of seasoning, and his backups need tons of reps to just get one guy ready to come in the game should, or more likely, when Rodgers get clobbered. Ted Thompson has shown a tendency to use multiple draft picks on a single position in the hopes that a reliable starter will emerge from the competition. But with the quarterbacks, there wasn’t enough offseason and there’s not enough preseason to get that accomplished, and certainly not enough time to prepare a starter and a backup. The fate of the Packer’s season will hinge on Thompson’s quarterback calculation.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2008, 01:37 PM
could a mod please move this thread to the Romper Room. It is not Packer related.

Crusty is getting a little senile

Cleft Crusty
08-20-2008, 01:38 PM
excuse the error. Could a moderator move this to the Packer Forum? Mix approaching senility, semi-retirement, and 14 different prescription meds from Walmart, and this is what happens.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Making matters worse is the fact that his seventh round pick is progressing faster than his second round pick, meaning that McCarthy has to continue to give both guys as many reps as possible to either bring Brohm up to speed and/or see whether Flynn will really be his guy as backup.

I think drafting two QBs in the same year is 90% certain to be a big problem. The only scenario that works is if the higher pick guy is miraculously good enough to be a starter (which is the qualification for a backup), OR if the the second-picked player is good, but not so good that he can't be stashed on the practice squad.

Maybe I don't have this scenario thought-through exactly right, but I'm certain that two new QBs in the same year is shitty. Much better to have them staggered apart by a year.

CaliforniaCheez
08-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Didn't Rodgers look better last preseason?

Sure this year he has been behind an O-line more interested in experimentation than season preparation.

Is it psychological? Was he more relaxed with less pressure last year?

The priority has to be getting Rodgers ready for the season. If he isn't ready or gets injured the Packers fortunes this season are sunk.

Brohm and Flynn will take time to get ready and pushing them through a "crash course" could be developing bad habits.

Flynn looks good because he is relaxed and has less pressure. The press gives Rodgers enough pressure without McCarthy adding too it. Coach McCarthy ought to back off Brohm a bit also. Calm QB's play better.

Maxie the Taxi
08-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Crusty, your post was well thought out despite the meds and senility (which I know something about).

The thing is Rodgers has been around for three years. He should be through developing. He can gain experience dodging bullets on the job. If he does bad this year I won't chalk it up to inexperience. I'll chalk it up to maybe he's just not that great a QB.

With regard to the two rooks, you've got a point. McCarthy may have to decide on one and give him all the quarters he can get. I like Flynn, always have.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Maybe time to think outside the box. Take the red jersey off of Brohm, get him involved in some live tackling drills, excellent chance he'll wind up on IR. Bring in a vet for backup, Flynn is emergency QB. Perfecto.

retailguy
08-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Maybe time to think outside the box. Take the red jersey off of Brohm, get him involved in some live tackling drills, excellent chance he'll wind up on IR. Bring in a vet for backup, Flynn is emergency QB. Perfecto.

Maybe you could just take one for the team, and hit him with your car in the parking lot.

Joemailman
08-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Making matters worse is the fact that his seventh round pick is progressing faster than his second round pick, meaning that McCarthy has to continue to give both guys as many reps as possible to either bring Brohm up to speed and/or see whether Flynn will really be his guy as backup.

I think drafting two QBs in the same year is 90% certain to be a big problem. The only scenario that works is if the higher pick guy is miraculously good enough to be a starter (which is the qualification for a backup), OR if the the second-picked player is good, but not so good that he can't be stashed on the practice squad.

Maybe I don't have this scenario thought-through exactly right, but I'm certain that two new QBs in the same year is shitty. Much better to have them staggered apart by a year.

If Flynn is playing well, does it really matter what round he was drafted in? It's not like he's from Southern Appalachian State. He led LSU to a national title. He's likely played against tougher competition than Brohm.

mraynrand
08-20-2008, 08:45 PM
If Flynn is playing well, does it really matter what round he was drafted in? It's not like he's from Southern Appalachian State. He led LSU to a national title. He's likely played against tougher competition than Brohm.

You must know it makes a difference. Not in who you might start or trust in a game, etc. You go with the guy who plays better. But the reality is that if you spend a 2nd round pick on a guy, you tend to give him a little more leash and/or more chances.

And that 'tougher competition' argument works more than one way. If you play for a champion, you probably are surrounded by more talent than a guy at a lesser school, which could make you look better - again, depending on the relative competition.

texaspackerbacker
08-20-2008, 08:55 PM

I really don't think there even is a PROBLEM.

Sheesh! What a bunch of nervous nellies!

McCarthy almost certainly has everything under control. One bad performance in a totally meaningless game that reflected lack of preparation is NOTHING. You have to expect a team with three inexperienced QBs, two of them rookies, to be a little behind at this stage. They WILL be there for the start of the season, though. You can quote me on that.

Carolina_Packer
08-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Not comparing the two, really, but Carson Palmer sat behind Kitna for at least a year before he took over, and while he went 6-7 in his games started in his second year, he went 11-5 his third year in the league. We'll see if three years simmering did A-Rod any good.

mraynrand
08-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Tex, if you think there isn't something to be concerned about having a QB group with no starts and two rookies, you're probably the only one. The concern has nothing to do with poor play in one game. It has to do with the realities with the lack of experience at the QB position. If I get a chance, I'll try to see if there are any comparable situations in recent NFL history.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Tex, if you think there isn't something to be concerned about having a QB group with no starts and two rookies, you're probably the only one. The concern has nothing to do with poor play in one game. It has to do with the realities with the lack of experience at the QB position. If I get a chance, I'll try to see if there are any comparable situations in recent NFL history.

Nothing ever worries tex...cept for liberals. Otherwise he is the Candide of the forum.

mraynrand
08-20-2008, 09:09 PM

Nothing ever worries tex...cept for liberals. Otherwise he is the Candide of the forum.

Mr. Leibnitz, your table is ready. Why, thank you Dr. Pangloss.

texaspackerbacker
08-20-2008, 09:19 PM

Me and Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson. I call that pretty good company.

mraynrand
08-20-2008, 09:30 PM

So you think they're NOT concerned? I guess they'd be the first worry-free coach and GM in the NFL....

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2008, 09:57 PM

ya, but Brohm kicks ass in the punt, pass and kick competition. So it seems likely still that he will be the better bet. It would be somewhat painful to place Flynn ahead of him, Flynn is not so impressive physically. You are right, though, ultimately Flynn could be the better player, but Brohm deserves extra do-overs.

A preseason is not much time for ANY rookie to get up to speed. How much total playing time to they get, after all.

texaspackerbacker
08-20-2008, 10:12 PM

So you think they're NOT concerned? I guess they'd be the first worry-free coach and GM in the NFL....

There's a difference between healthy natural concern, as any coach has, and the pessimism/negativity/near panic exhibited in a lot of the posts we've seen around here. If Thompson/McCarthy had anything vaguely resembling that, the posters crying for some worn out veteran QB would have had their wish by now.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-20-2008, 10:28 PM

There's a difference between healthy natural concern, as any coach has, and the pessimism/negativity/near panic exhibited in a lot of the posts we've seen around here. If Thompson/McCarthy had anything vaguely resembling that, the posters crying for some worn out veteran QB would have had their wish by now.

well, then you will be backtracking like usual when TT signs a vet later...for a cheaper price than available now.

texaspackerbacker
08-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Hell No! I never backtrack--well, almost never.

I really don't think Thompson would do that except for an injury that would put one of the current QBs on the injured list. If it did happen, though, I would certainly criticize the move--although probably not the highly successful GM making the move.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Hell No! I never backtrack--well, almost never.

I really don't think Thompson would do that except for an injury that would put on of the current QBs on the injured list. If it did happen, though, I would certainly criticize the move--although probably not the highly successful GM making the move.

You'll be backtracking just like you did with favre.

The only real question is how long before you start blaming the media for the QB issue.

texaspackerbacker
08-20-2008, 10:44 PM
I backtracked about Favre?

What could you possibly misconstrue as being anything like that?

The media to blame? Hmmm. I'll give that some thought ....... but wait ...... in order blame somebody, there has to be a PROBLEM. I see no problem here.

SnakeLH2006
08-20-2008, 11:27 PM

What about Mark Murphy, think he's worried?

http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/Sarah/What-me-worry.jpg
http://blogs.colgate.edu/markm.jpg

Cleft Crusty
10-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Thompson must be hoping at this stage that his starting QB can return. The season is beginning to unravel on Thompson and McCarthy, making for juicy stories for an objective, uninterested reporter.