PDA

View Full Version : LT of the future

RashanGary
08-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Allen Barbre?

There is a chance that he is the answer. Colledge is quick, but gets beat with speed regularly. He's getting stronger but he gets beat with power regularly. He's really not great at anything and because of his lack of talent, it's probably better to have him in tight spaces where he can put all of his focus forward rather than having to defend the bull rush and the speed rush at the same time.

Barbre, on the other hand, is quicker than Colledge. Reading camp reports he rarely, if ever, gets beat with speed. He appears to be our most athletic lineman. He's also stronger than Colledge. He can defend the edge and still be strong enough if the DE trys to bull rush him. Athletically, he's just better all around. He's not a genius, but that is all the more reaosn to get him at LT where he has more one on one matchups rather than dealing with complicated blitzes and stunts.

When all is said and done and Cliffy's career is over, I wouldn't be suprised if Barbre is our LT. He seems to be the only lineman on our roster with the raw talent to do the job.

BallHawk
08-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Was I the only one that thought this was gonna be a Ryan Grant thread?

texaspackerbacker
08-20-2008, 09:24 PM
I was wondering whether it was about a new Lawrence Taylor or LaDainian Tomlinson.

BallHawk
08-20-2008, 09:33 PM
I was wondering whether it was about a new Lawrence Taylor or LaDainian Tomlinson.

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. That someone was going to be comparing Ryan Grant to LT. Maybe Kregg Lumpkin to LT? :lol:

Joemailman
08-20-2008, 09:37 PM

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. That someone was going to be comparing Ryan Grant to LT. Maybe Kregg Lumpkin to LT? :lol:

That would be like calling Ruvell Martin a Pro Bowler.

BallHawk
08-20-2008, 09:44 PM

That would be like calling Ruvell Martin a Pro Bowler.

Laugh all you want, Mailman, but soon the day will belong to Ruvell. Quite soon, indeed.

texaspackerbacker
08-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Why the disrespect for Grant?

I, in fact, would compare him to Tomlinson. He is, of course, a different type of runner--not near as shifty, but Grant has better burst than LT or just about anybody else on the scene right now. Qualitatively, I wouldn't quite put him there with Tomlinson, but he's pretty damn close--and with a lot fresher legs for the future.

BallHawk
08-20-2008, 09:52 PM
As of now, Grant is borderline top 10. If he can produce numbers like he did last year over 16 games he will be among the elite. But we gotta wait and see.

retailguy
08-20-2008, 09:52 PM
because of his lack of talent

Lack of TALENT? The guy was a 2nd round pick... picked by your HERO. He doesnt have a lack of talent problem. It is lack of ACHIEVEMENT. thats his issue. he has got the talent.

mraynrand
08-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Grant has better burst than LT or just about anybody else on the scene right now.

Is there an emoticon for throwing up your hands in exasperation?

texaspackerbacker
08-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Based on last year's performance, WHO other than Peterson and Tomlinson (in that order) is better? I say nobody.

And based on age and mileage, WHO has a brighter future? Peterson and possibly McFadden--although he is totally unproven.

I'll take Grant--and I really can't see why people who supposedly are Packer fans would think otherwise.

BallHawk
08-20-2008, 10:20 PM
He did it for half a season. I wanna see it for 16+ games.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Grant has better burst than LT or just about anybody else on the scene right now.

Is there an emoticon for throwing up your hands in exasperation?

Yes....you type in L I B E R A L :wink:

bobblehead
08-20-2008, 10:23 PM

Lack of TALENT? The guy was a 2nd round pick... picked by your HERO. He doesnt have a lack of talent problem. It is lack of ACHIEVEMENT. thats his issue. he has got the talent.

I agree, he has a mountain of talent...pretty much any snap he decides to play he is very good, problem is that he loses focus and decides that he doesn't have to give 100%....then he gets owned.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-20-2008, 10:24 PM
Based on last year's performance, WHO other than Peterson and Tomlinson (in that order) is better? I say nobody.

And based on age and mileage, WHO has a brighter future? Peterson and possibly McFadden--although he is totally unproven.

I'll take Grant--and I really can't see why people who supposedly are Packer fans would think otherwise.

You give homers a bad name.

How about Steven Jackson, Westbrook, Willie Parker, McGahee, Portis, Lynch, Gore, Barber, Maroney, Addai, etc.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-20-2008, 10:26 PM

I agree, he has a mountain of talent...pretty much any snap he decides to play he is very good, problem is that he loses focus and decides that he doesn't have to give 100%....then he gets owned.

I think it is very presumptious to assume that you know he isn't trying to give 100%.

mraynrand
08-20-2008, 11:26 PM

You give homers a bad name.

How about Steven Jackson, Westbrook, Willie Parker, McGahee, Portis, Lynch, Gore, Barber, Maroney, Addai, etc.

Even 'Hot Rod' Hundley (Jazz) and johhny 'Red' Kerr (Bulls), among the worst Homers I've ever heard, occasionally expressed some doubts or reservations about their teams.

SnakeLH2006
08-20-2008, 11:30 PM

http://www.about-seattlewa.com/wp-content/uploads/OH_NOES.jpg

RashanGary
08-21-2008, 07:22 AM
I think Colledge may have been a borderline bad pick. If he can play average at OG, it's not the end of the world but he's not what you would hope for in a 2nd round pick and his great athleticism is greatly overrated and exaggerated here. Athletic is just another way of saying "he's not strong".

His physical ability is below average on most teams and adiquate with our zone scheme.

I like Spitz better than Wells at C. They said he was their best interior lineman and was the only one guaranteed a spot. If Sitton becomes a player and Colledge is average then we have a solid interior line and we have to start getting the OT's fixed before it's too late.

Bretsky
08-21-2008, 07:52 AM
I think Colledge may have been a borderline bad pick. If he can play average at OG, it's not the end of the world but he's not what you would hope for in a 2nd round pick and his great athleticism is greatly overrated and exaggerated here. Athletic is just another way of saying "he's not strong".

His physical ability is below average on most teams and adiquate with our zone scheme.

I like Spitz better than Wells at C. They said he was their best interior lineman and was the only one guaranteed a spot. If Sitton becomes a player and Colledge is average then we have a solid interior line and we have to start getting the OT's fixed before it's too late.

Completely agree

Carolina_Packer
08-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Barring major injuries, or a prolonged one to Wells, when do you think this O-line with solidify? Obviously Taush, Clifton and Wells are established. Spitz, Moll and Colledge have been around for a couple of years to fight over two other positions and Sitton, Barbre, Coston and company are vying for looks. Besides the three established guys, who do you think they will break camp with as the starters at RG and LG? Even though they didn't give up many sacks by comparison last year and were able to block for Grant on many occasions, the team seems to keep coming back to these G issues each year. How many more pressures were there? How many times did Favre bail out the bad protection with quick decsion making/reads? Can A-Rod do the same if they still have G problems? It will be nice when they have a fully established group to go with; one that gels.