PDA

View Full Version : Gene Upshaw, Dead!?

Rastak
08-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Per PFT.com, Clear Channel online is reporting Upshaw died of cancer. Hope it's a hoax of some kind.

edit: Here is a link from NBC:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26326065/

REPORT: GENE UPSHAW DEAD AT 63
Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2008, 7:26 a.m.
A report citing unnamed sources from Clear Channel online indicates that Hall of Fame offensive lineman Gene Upshaw, the long-time Executive Director of the NFL Players Association, has died at the age of 63.

Per the report, Upshaw had been fighting pancreatic cancer.

Upshaw’s condition not been publicly known, and it’s unclear whether others at the NFLPA were aware of the illness, which is one of the most serious forms of cancer.

It’s also unknown whether the disease had developed recently, or whether Upshaw became afflicated with it months ago.

It’s a shocking development, to say the least. In recent months, Upshaw had indicated a desire to stay on the job through the completion of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations, which became a focal point for the league and the union in May of this year, when owners voted to end the current CBA two years early.

Upshaw also has been criticized for his refusal to allow the NFLPA to identify his successor, out of fears that the league would then undermine him by working directly with the successor as to key terms of the CBA.

But now the NFLPA by all appearances will be thrust into disarray, with a power vacuum only two weeks from the start of the 2008 regular season.

sheepshead
08-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Too young. I didnt often agree with him, but you cannot deny his devotion and work ethic.

RIP

cpk1994
08-21-2008, 06:50 AM
Well, none of the major sites are reporting it with the exception of one, MSNBC.com. I really don't know what to make of this, but I will hold off until confirmed.

Rastak
08-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Well, none of the major sites are reporting it with the exception of one, MSNBC.com. I really don't know what to make of this, but I will hold off until confirmed.

Yea, I agree. It's just one source and that seems unusual.

sheepshead
08-21-2008, 07:10 AM
It's on the radio here too.

cpk1994
08-21-2008, 07:19 AM
It's on the radio here too.Im guessing a Clear Channel station?

sheepshead
08-21-2008, 07:28 AM
actually no. for whatever it's worth. Seems like its the sad truth.

cpk1994
08-21-2008, 07:40 AM
But then why isn't ESPN reporting it? or SI? or Sporting News? Seems rather odd that a story that would be "Major Breaking News" is ony being reported by MSNBC.com. This is beyond bizarre.

motife
08-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Pancreatic cancer is almost invariably fatal and in a very short time. That's what Walter Payton had.

Rastak
08-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Pancreatic cancer is almost invariably fatal and in a very short time. That's what Walter Payton had.

Totally agree, but why isn't anyone else reporting it? I'm sure all the major news outlets are aware of the story now. Obviously they can't confirm it.

sheepshead
08-21-2008, 08:01 AM
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/ALERT_NFLs_Upshaw_dies.html

http://www.nfl.com/

cpk1994
08-21-2008, 08:11 AM
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/ALERT_NFLs_Upshaw_dies.html

http://www.nfl.com/Is on ESPN.com as well. A sad day.

retailguy
08-21-2008, 08:22 AM
RIP. :(

pbmax
08-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Upshaw's passing is quite sad. For me he is a great example of perserverance, as in the mid 1980's, his stance that players should be paid from a pool of 55% of general revenues was widely mocked by media and owners.

It took almost a decade, but Upshaw beat that number by quite a bit when they hammered out the Free Agency/Salary Cap CBA in 92 or 93. No one gave him much of a chance.

The union lost its challenges stemming from the strikes in 82 and 87, and then decertified itself as the player's representative. Five years later, they (and other players including Reggie White) successfully sued the NFL over anti-trust charges. When they won, the NFL had few choice but to negotiate over Free Agency.

His public image was almost unlikable at times. But this guy took on the best organized and deepest pocketed sports league in this country and got them to submit. The NFL players union was considered the weakest of the sports unions, usually ascribed, in part, to their short careers and willingness to submit to authority. He achieved quite a lot.

Deputy Nutz
08-21-2008, 09:17 AM

I thought Peyton's liver dried up? Is that a cause from Pancreatic cancer?

Kiwon
08-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Geez, there's been more deaths the last two weeks........:shock:

It's time for a physical.

oregonpackfan
08-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Upshaw was a phenomenal player.

To achieve status as the head of the players union is quite an achievement. When he played in the 60's, racism was still very common in our country. For an African-American to be the president of a professional players union was unthinkable for that era.

Some of his decisions and stances were certainly controversial but he made great achievements in his life.

Badgerinmaine
08-21-2008, 10:53 AM
The news was just on Fox Sports Radio's national broadcast. He was a tremendous player and worked hard for his union, though I hope the union will now work things out with its older retirees who were so frustrated with what they saw as lack of help from the union. Pancreatic cancer is both fast-moving and very painful; the mothers of two of my childhood friends died relatively young because of it. God bless the Upshaw family.

Badgerinmaine
08-21-2008, 10:54 AM

I thought Peyton's liver dried up? Is that a cause from Pancreatic cancer?

I remembered his liver being the problem as well, but it was apparently bile duct cancer (though there were related problems with his liver):
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=10910

Walter Payton died so young. Damn shame.

KYPack
08-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Get tested for all the cancers you can.

'Cause pancreatic cancer is one of those that has no test.

Upshaw first learned he had it Sunday. By Thursday night he was gone.

It's a swift killer, leaves you no time to put things together.

Badgerinmaine
08-21-2008, 10:58 AM
But then why isn't ESPN reporting it? or SI? or Sporting News? Seems rather odd that a story that would be "Major Breaking News" is ony being reported by MSNBC.com. This is beyond bizarre.

here it is on CBS:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10941702

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2008, 11:01 AM
He was a tremendous player and worked hard for his union, though I hope the union will now work things out with its older retirees who were so frustrated with what they saw as lack of help from the union.

The NFLPA works for the current players. Losing him won't change the landscape much. He just did what the current players wanted. He was going to get paid the same no matter what the current players wanted. Now, the bad press they've gotten might change things a little. Then again, all of the insults from the retirees might make the current players want to do less for them.

SMACKTALKIE
08-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Wow, how very sad.

Unreal how quickly this happened.

motife
08-21-2008, 11:09 AM
I remembered his liver being the problem as well, but it was apparently bile duct cancer (though there were related problems with his liver):

the bile duct is part of the pancreatic system. My mother was at Mayo the same time as Walter Payton with the same illness. They do what is called a "Whipple procedure", which involves the bile duct. But it's normally a lost cause.

Him8123
08-21-2008, 06:48 PM
that is young. I guess though when its your time to meet the big man upstairs its your time. RIP

BallHawk
08-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Damn, what a shame. Whatever your opinion is on Upshaw, he worked his ass off in that job. Seemed like a good dude, as well.

RIP.

Rastak
08-21-2008, 07:26 PM
He was a helluva player. He and Art Shell. Hellacious offensive lineman. Very sorry to see the guy go in such a manner. Can you imagine? You feel sick on weekend, get a cancer diagnosis out of the blue and you die THAT WEEK!

Man, that's sad.

KYPack
08-21-2008, 08:33 PM
He was a helluva player. He and Art Shell. Hellacious offensive lineman. Very sorry to see the guy go in such a manner. Can you imagine? You feel sick on weekend, get a cancer diagnosis out of the blue and you die THAT WEEK!

Man, that's sad.

Absolutely.

You feel so bad and are in so much pain on a Sunday, you go to see the doc. The guy works you up and says, " you've got cancer of the pancreas and you have little time to live".

On Thursday, you die?

That's a real bad weekend.

Gene was a great player and did a good job for the players. Made many of 'em millionaires, guys that would have never made that kind of dough. I was pissed at him for his treatment of the older players, 'cause he was one of 'em. But that's all in the past now.

He was a man's man and a guy who held to his convictions. He faced down some of the smartest guys in business and cut his players the best deal in pro sports in the world.

RIP, big man.

You probably never backed down to anybody in your life.

Few guys can say that.