PDA

View Full Version : What would you think of this trade

Tony Oday
08-21-2008, 01:34 PM
James Jones and a 6th for Lito Sheppard?

Just a thought

hoosier
08-21-2008, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't. Sheppard is injury prone, and at 27 should be hitting his prime--in other words, he has very little upside. He would make a nice nickel back for the Packers, assuming he stays healthy, but I certainly wouldn't trade what looks to be an up and coming receiver (should be competing for a starting position in the next few years) for a nickel back who really doesn't look like anything special (can't beat out Sheldon Brown).

Pacopete4
08-21-2008, 02:37 PM
defense wins championships.. not sold on Jones quite yet but he's young.. I'd probably do it because we have some very good WR's and our CB's are aging

The Gunshooter
08-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I'd make that trade in an instant except for two things. 1) He makes 5 million now, how much more will it take for him to STFU? 2)Would Philadelphia laugh at James Jones and a 6th?

The Gunshooter
08-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Sheppard is a two-time pro bowler, how much upside do you want?

I wouldn't. Sheppard is injury prone, and at 27 should be hitting his prime--in other words, he has very little upside. He would make a nice nickel back for the Packers, assuming he stays healthy, but I certainly wouldn't trade what looks to be an up and coming receiver (should be competing for a starting position in the next few years) for a nickel back who really doesn't look like anything special (can't beat out Sheldon Brown).

Ballboy
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
If the he doesn't play DL we don't need him.

sheepshead
08-21-2008, 03:06 PM
player for player trades are rare

hoosier
08-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Sheppard is a two-time pro bowler, how much upside do you want?

First, I wouldn't consider pro bowl berths to be the best measure of his talent. Just as telling is that he's listed behind Sheldon Brown on the Eagles depth chart. Is that because Sheppard's play has declined since 2006, or because he's coming off an injury? Second, when I said he doesn't have much upside I meant that what you see is what you get with him. Not that he doesn't have ability, but he's been in and out of the Eagles lineup the last few years. Finally, and possibly the most damning of all, he recently became switched agents. I wouldn't want a potentially disgruntled client of Drew Rosenhaus playing nickel back on my team.

retailguy
08-21-2008, 03:18 PM

Really? Did you watch Jarrett Bush last weekend?... I realize it's one game but I do think we need secondary help. Maybe someone steps up...

Incidentally, I'm not sure I support trading Jones, for anything. He could still be special... if he cures his penchant for fumbling.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Really? Did you watch Jarrett Bush last weekend?... I realize it's one game but I do think we need secondary help. Maybe someone steps up...

Jarrett Bush? He's like our 5th or 6th corner. Woodson, Harris, Williams, Lee, and Blackmon. Most teams would be screwed if they had to play their 5th corner. Bush might not even make the team.

Fred's Slacks
08-21-2008, 03:33 PM

Incidentally, I'm not sure I support trading Jones, for anything. He could still be special... if he cures his penchant for fumbling.

Yeah, Bush was terrible but he miight not even make the team and is at best our 4th corner (probably 6th). I think our top 3 are pretty good with potential in Blackmon and Lee at 4 and 5. We definately don't need to trade anything of value away for a CB. Especially a young talent like Jones.

Fred's Slacks
08-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Beat me to it Harv.

Gunakor
08-21-2008, 03:39 PM
I'd make that trade in an instant except for two things. 1) He makes 5 million now, how much more will it take for him to STFU? 2)Would Philadelphia laugh at James Jones and a 6th?

That's what I was thinking too. True enough Philadelphia could really use a strong, athletic, sure handed WR like James Jones. But I'd think they'd want something more like JJ plus a 3rd. And I don't see TT giving up so much for a CB when he's got project guys like T-Will and Pat Lee already, and has at least a couple more years to groom them behind Harris and Woodson. T-Will looks like he might be the real deal. The jury is still out on Lee, but if MM and TT see potential in him then there's no way they make this deal. Especially considering that they very likely might keep Bush on the roster as a ST guy.

Tony Oday
08-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Ah I still think we need to start now in replacing the corners that we have. Al Harris is no spring chicken anymore! :)

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Ah I still think we need to start now in replacing the corners that we have. Al Harris is no spring chicken anymore! :)

I think we've already started that process. That's why Tramon Williams and Patrick Lee are on the team.

Gunakor
08-21-2008, 03:49 PM

Tramon Williams will eventually replace Al Harris IMO. Pat Lee might be a decent replacement for Woodson too. Who knows. But if we have thier replacements on our roster already, then making a trade for Sheppard is the wrong move. What is wrong with waiting a year to see? It's not like Harris or Woodson are going anywhere this year anyhow.

Tony Oday
08-21-2008, 04:56 PM

Tramon Williams will eventually replace Al Harris IMO. Pat Lee might be a decent replacement for Woodson too. Who knows. But if we have thier replacements on our roster already, then making a trade for Sheppard is the wrong move. What is wrong with waiting a year to see? It's not like Harris or Woodson are going anywhere this year anyhow.

But as we have seen with countless athletes they can hit a wall and the play drops considerably...or god forbid there could be an I word happening to one of them if they are on Punt Coverage again!

retailguy
08-21-2008, 04:59 PM

Jarrett Bush? He's like our 5th or 6th corner. Woodson, Harris, Williams, Lee, and Blackmon. Most teams would be screwed if they had to play their 5th corner. Bush might not even make the team.

Well, Bush was the 4th corner last season.... So, he played, and he stayed last season. Williams is serviceable and lee may develop, but he's a rookie, and relying on Blackmon who has NEVER not been injured is stupid, so that kind of makes Tony's point valid. Even if I happen to agree with it. Doesn't leave us with a whole lot of depth, Woodson and Harris aren't spring chickens either, and Woodson spent some time hurt last year. So, maybe, just maybe, there is a little more substance there than your glib retort considered.

I recognize that this was just to go after me, but why don't you just invest a little more time in ESPN? I think ESPN 16 is airing a midget volleyball match that you haven't seen yet. There is probably even a fantasy league for it, that you could brush up on...

pbmax
08-21-2008, 05:44 PM
I think Lee is a lock to make the team, but that doesn't make him our fourth CB. Wiliams may be ahead of Bush, but Bush still plays before Lee and Blackmon at practice and in the games.

Bush is the fourth CB right now. At cut time, that may shake out differently if Lee is kept and needs to be the last DB off the bench. If they don't keep more DBs than last year, then someone ahead of him at CB might need to be ready to backup at safety. Keeping Lee might cost Schottenheimer a safety to keep the total DB count at the same number.

• McCarthy defended CB Jarrett Bush, who drew a 15-yard penalty in punt coverage and was torched in coverage Saturday night. Said McCarthy: "Actually, he did some really good things on special teams and the coverage things . . . he was actually playing to his leverage. So I thought Jarrett's performance was fine." Bush continued to practice ahead of Will Blackmon and Pat Lee.

Tony Oday
08-21-2008, 08:11 PM
I would think we need a solid 3rd back for sure! They are practically starters anyway.

Of course does anyone think that Collins should be moved to CB? I mean he has the skills and ability just needs to put them all together.

I really am just throwing things out there anyone else have some suggestions?

texaspackerbacker
08-21-2008, 08:36 PM
I'd be against that trade. We don't need Shepherd on the field, and we sure don't need his attitude.

I think Bush is playing a lot in preseason because it's make or break time for him--he's getting one last chance to show a reason why he shouldn't be cut--and apparently not succeeding.

Al Harris will start the season strong. Hopefully, he learned something last year about conditioning and doesn't fade like last year. Williams will have a break out season, and Lee will show enough to keep as a solid future prospect. Hopefully, Blackmon will finally be healthy. If so, he will be right there with Williams and the team will be loaded.

The experimentation with Collins at corner--something I have calling for--is apparently not going too well. I think that is a sign that Rouse is beating him out at starting safety. I don't think Collins gets cut, though--not this season anyway.

mraynrand
08-21-2008, 08:42 PM
I'd be against that trade. We don't need Shepherd on the field, and we sure don't need his attitude.

I think Bush is playing a lot in preseason because it's make or break time for him--he's getting one last chance to show a reason why he shouldn't be cut--and apparently not succeeding.

Al Harris will start the season strong. Hopefully, he learned something last year about conditioning and doesn't fade like last year. Williams will have a break out season, and Lee will show enough to keep as a solid future prospect. Hopefully, Blackmon will finally be healthy. If so, he will be right there with Williams and the team will be loaded.

The experimentation with Collins at corner--something I have calling for--is apparently not going too well. I think that is a sign that Rouse is beating him out at starting safety. I don't think Collins gets cut, though--not this season anyway.

Bush is outstanding on special teams. the Packers can probably tolerate him being the fifth or even sixth d-back because he's so dominant as a gunner.

Collins SUCKS at man coverage. I find it hard to believe he Packers are 'trying him out' at corner. he's never covered well in man, and he never will. that's probably why he is a safety to begin with and why hopefully he will eventually become a back up and never be allowed to cover anyone faster than a lineman in coverage.

Joemailman
08-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Based on what MM has said, Rouse has not been consistent enough to be the starter. That will be Collins' job for at least another year. They will try to find ways to get Rouse on the field because of his ability to produce turnovers, but he is not ready to be an every down player.

NewsBruin
08-21-2008, 10:02 PM
So the Eagles have a Pro Bowl corner whom they refused to trade, knowing that he could be called on at any time to be on the field, depending on matchups, and even a top-two starter if one of their two goes down...

And they're going to give him up for a second-year #3 receiver and a mid-to-low third round pick?

I just don't see it. I don't see TT going to give up a #3, and I don't see them Eagles finding a proven #3 WR more valuable than a proven #3 corner. If they wanted something for Sheppard, they would have cut short the headache and done something for him already.

Some talents are more valuable than others in the NFL, and a player who can cover Wide Receivers with a proven consistency is a little rarer than someone who can catch footballs.

Zool
08-21-2008, 10:14 PM
So the Eagles have a Pro Bowl corner whom they refused to trade, knowing that he could be called on at any time to be on the field, depending on matchups, and even a top-two starter if one of their two goes down...

And they're going to give him up for a second-year #3 receiver and a mid-to-low third round pick?

I just don't see it. I don't see TT going to give up a #3, and I don't see them Eagles finding a proven #3 WR more valuable than a proven #3 corner. If they wanted something for Sheppard, they would have cut short the headache and done something for him already.

Some talents are more valuable than others in the NFL, and a player who can cover Wide Receivers with a proven consistency is a little rarer than someone who can catch footballs.

Unless of course you are a WR with the Eagles. They just cannot draft WR's that are worth a shit.

3irty1
08-22-2008, 05:19 AM
I think we forget that we are hypothetically dealing with the Eagles. They'd be asking for Jennings and a first.

Fritz
08-22-2008, 06:43 AM
That would be a silly trade to make.

Lito's missed the boat...

If you're going to be shopping for anything, shop for a defensive tackle.

Ballboy
08-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Needing a 3rd DB for the Packers isn't really a high priority. Look at the division:

Bears - Can you even name the starting WR's let alone a 3,4, or 5 WR.

Vikining - They are going to run, run again, run some more, and finally run. TJ's arm isn't the greatest and apart from the fact that Fergie and BB are the WR's there, I'm not impressed with the WR group.

Lions - Johnson & Williiams are studs. Kinta is OK. This is a game that a really good 3rd DB is important, but pressure from the front 7 will be key as the OL is weak at best.

Gunakor
08-22-2008, 02:40 PM
I would think we need a solid 3rd back for sure! They are practically starters anyway.

Of course does anyone think that Collins should be moved to CB? I mean he has the skills and ability just needs to put them all together.

I really am just throwing things out there anyone else have some suggestions?

Again, Tramon Williams is our 3rd CB. Nothing I've seen from him could indicate he won't get the job done covering a 3rd WR. The toughest matchup he'll face this year is OUR 3rd WR, James Jones. He'll face Jones every week in practice, so another teams 3rd WR should be cake.

3irty1
08-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Al Harris will start the season strong. Hopefully, he learned something last year about conditioning and doesn't fade like last year.

I think that had more to do with nagging injury than conditioning. There is nothing wrong with Harris's body when healthy.