* Gymnastics won't fade in Liukin's life
* Chinese men win all but one of eight golds
* Changing routine pays off for Horton
* Johnson's gold makes for happy Americans
* China's Lu wins men's trampoline
* American Shawn Johnson finally gets her gold

Updated August 21, 2008
(AP Photo/Amy Sancetta)

BEIJING (AP) The International Olympic Committee said Friday it had asked gymnastics officials to investigate whether the Chinese women's gymnastics team that won the gold medal had underage athletes, saying "more information has come to light."

"We've asked the gymnastics federation to look into it further," IOC spokeswoman Giselle Davies said. "If there is a question mark and we have a concern, which we do, we ask the governing body of any sport to look into it."

It was not immediately clear what new information prompted the IOC to act now, three days after the gymnastics competition ended.

Messages for the International Gymnastics Federation were not immediately returned.

The FIG has said repeatedly that a passport is the "accepted proof of a gymnast's eligibility," and that China's gymnasts have presented ones that show they are age eligible. The IOC also checked the girls' passports and deemed them valid.

A gymnast must be 16 in an Olympic year to compete at the games. But questions about the ages of at least three of the athletes have persisted. Online records and media reports suggest three Chinese gymnasts - He Kexin, Jiang Yuyuan and Jang Yilin - may be as young as 14.

The IOC had said previously that it had verified the passports of all athletes competing at the games.

"We are not in a position to say 'It's good, it's not good.' It's a government document," FIG president Bruno Grandi said earlier this week in an interview with The Associated Press.

The Chinese women won six medals, including the team gold and a gold on uneven bars by He. The media reports include a Nov. 3 story by the Chinese government's news agency, Xinhua - that suggest He is only 14. She was asked about her age again after winning the uneven bars title, beating American Nastia Liukin in a tiebreak.

"I was born in 1992 and I'm 16 years old now," He said Monday. "The FIG has proved that. If I'm under 16, I couldn't have been competing here."

Age falsification has been a problem in gymnastics since the 1980s after the minimum age was raised from 14 to 15 to protect young athletes from serious injuries. The minimum age was raised to its current 16 in 1997.

North Korea was barred from the 1993 world championships after FIG officials discovered that Kim Gwang Suk, the gold medalist on uneven bars in 1991, was listed as 15 for three years in a row. Romania admitted in 2002 that several gymnasts' ages had been falsified, including Olympic medalists Gina Gogean and Alexandra Marinescu.

Even China's own Yang Yun, a double bronze medalist in Sydney, said during an interview aired on state broadcaster China Central Television that she was 14 in 2000.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2008, 01:36 AM
how do you prove somebody's age? you can't imagine that anybody who knows these athletes are going to squeel. this just sounds like hot air.

Zool
08-22-2008, 07:16 AM
You cut off their leg and count the rings?

SkinBasket
08-22-2008, 07:32 AM
how do you prove somebody's age? you can't imagine that anybody who knows these athletes are going to squeel. this just sounds like hot air.

Did you not read the last sentence of the story? Did you not watch the girl? You haven't seen the story about official Chinese documents being found on web caches listing her age two years younger and the seemingly systematic effort to remove other pages listing her age?

Earlier this month, the AP found registration lists previously posted on the Web site of the General Administration of Sport of China that showed both He and Yang were too young to compete. He was born Jan. 1, 1994, according to the 2005, 2006 and 2007 registration lists. Yang was born Aug. 26, 1993, according to the 2004, 2005 and 2006 registration lists. In the 2007 registration list, however, her birthday has changed to Aug. 26, 1992.

This isn't some people complaining because she won. These were issues before the games even began.

The ridiculous part of this whole story is that the IOC only asks for a passport to confirm age. A passport issued by a government known to have fudged the age of it's gymnasts in the past. That's real effective.

SkinBasket
08-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Of course it should also be noted that the IOC is doing everything it can to lick China's balls, so this "investigation" will most likely consist of asking the Chinese government to cook up some more false documents so they can say, "Look, nothing to see here. Everyone just move along." There's not going to be an active investigation that would actually uncover anything. That would be too embarrassing to the IOC and the host nation.

mraynrand
08-22-2008, 08:05 AM
They are never going to prove how old these girl really are - the only way to be certain is to cut off a leg and count the rings.

mraynrand
08-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Still, the IOC really has to finish this in a hurry. They are going to have to put all their efforts towards whitewashing over Russia for the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Did you not read the last sentence of the story? Did you not watch the girl? You haven't seen the story about official Chinese documents being found on web caches listing her age two years younger and the seemingly systematic effort to remove other pages listing her age?

you think you are going to beat bureaucrats in a totalitarian state at their own game!?

For every piece of evidence that the girls are 14, the Chineese can produce a mountain of testimony and documentation that they are 16.

This is just a formality, so the IOC can say they tried.

oregonpackfan
08-22-2008, 10:36 PM
I watched a presentation about the gymnasts where a dentist analyzed a picture showing the teeth of one of the smiling Chinese gymnasts. The picture was magnified many times.

He noted the girl was missing the "baby" tooth of her upper right incisor. In addition, the permanent incisor had just begun to emerge from the gum. He noted that particular permanent tooth usually appears for girls aged 12-14. It was his opinion that the girl was hardly 16 years old. :roll:

mraynrand
08-22-2008, 10:41 PM
http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/wildkingdom/episode/gallery/ele_marlin2.jpg

Jim is going to pull a tooth to see how old the gymnast is - don't worry, it won't hurt a bit.

FavreChild
08-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Sounds like "loser talk" on behalf of the U.S. Even if the Chinese gymnasts are underage, we still couldn't beat 'em. The U.S. gymnasts were phenomenal, but they lost the gold medal because they made mistakes, not because the Chinese gymnasts are younger.

The U.S. team was sensational, and to bitch about the Chinese gymnasts just seems juvenile. I don't care whether the Chinese "cheated" or not. Even if they did, how does that make the U.S. gymnasts "better"? I would rather celebrate the performance of the U.S. women - they were fantastic.

SkinBasket
08-23-2008, 06:30 AM
I don't care whether the Chinese "cheated" or not. Even if they did, how does that make the U.S. gymnasts "better"?

Do you also not care about the sprinters who used steroids to win? Should they not have been stripped of their medals? Maybe you also don't care about Kerrigan being clubbed in the knee right? I mean, it didn't make Tonya Harding "better" did it?

The rules are there to protect younger gymnasts who are more prone to injury. It should also be noted that the American team has been very reserved on this whole matter and they aren't the ones complaining. It's been a variety of people from a variety of countries that have complained that the host nation isn't following the same rules as everyone else - something they are apparently known for.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 10:23 AM
The issue is exploitation of children If a kid is competing at the Olympic level at 13 or 14, then they didn't have a childhood, probably little education beyond athletics.

I think te age of participation should be 18, not 16.

SkinBasket
08-23-2008, 11:41 AM
The issue is exploitation of children

I'm going to exploit your dead corpse.

Tarlam!
08-23-2008, 12:31 PM
dead corpse.

How do I put this so as to not make you look dumb, Skin?

SkinBasket
08-23-2008, 03:12 PM
dead corpse.

How do I put this so as to not make you look dumb, Skin?

Don't worry. I know.