PDA

View Full Version : Tiki Barber "Total Medal Count"

]{ilr]3
08-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Or was it "Total Metal Cu^t"

MSNBC TAKES UP FOR TIKI
Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2008, 9:45 p.m.
As the Internet buzzes with debate over whether former Giants running back Tiki Barber directed the ultimate gender-based slur toward a female colleague on live television from Beijing, MSNBC and Barber deny that he said what plenty of people think he said.

“I would never disrespect a colleague and friend with that kind of language,’’ Barber said via an MSNBC spokeswoman, according to Neil Best of Newsday. “It’s disappointing someone would intentionally misrepresent the hard work Jenna [Wolfe] and I are doing.’’

Tiki, no one is “intentionally misrepresenting” anything. You said what you said. The question is whether what you said sounds like what a lot of people think you said, and whether you meant to say it.

We’ve been giving him the benefit of the doubt as to whether he meant to use the “c” word, because it would be pretty damn stupid to use that word on television, and we all know Tiki is smart. (Just ask him; he’ll tell you. Continuously.)

But for Tiki to try to paint himself as the victim is shameful. Folks have concluded in good faith based on the available evidence that he said a dirty word. There’s no “intentional misrepresentation” of anything.

At least MSNBC realizes that no one is “intentionally misrepresenting” the situation and that reasonable minds might differ as to what Barber said. “Tiki and Jenna were discussing total medal count versus gold medal counts and Tiki’s words were unclear,” MSNBC said.

Yeah. His words were unclear. So were Imus’s.

Trying to find the Video again. But to me it looks pretty obvious that Tiki was pissed because his female college took a jab at him about a SuperBowl ring and he called her a "Total Metal Cu^t" on national TV. From the video you can tell she took it the way he said it too. She looked upset about it.

Here is the clip
http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/08/msnbcs-olympic-update-continues-to.html

If it doesnt load just keep refreshing the page.

]{ilr]3
08-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Actually after watching it more closely, I think she thought it was funny :lol: She seems to be holding back a laugh.

BallHawk
08-21-2008, 09:57 PM
I think it's kinda clever on Tiki's part. Fast thinking on his feet, just like in football. Makes you wonder why more RBs don't do stand-up.....

Sparkey
08-21-2008, 10:32 PM
{ilr]3]Or was it "Total Metal Cu^t"

MSNBC TAKES UP FOR TIKI
Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2008, 9:45 p.m.
As the Internet buzzes with debate over whether former Giants running back Tiki Barber directed the ultimate gender-based slur toward a female colleague on live television from Beijing, MSNBC and Barber deny that he said what plenty of people think he said.

“I would never disrespect a colleague and friend with that kind of language,’’ Barber said via an MSNBC spokeswoman, according to Neil Best of Newsday. “It’s disappointing someone would intentionally misrepresent the hard work Jenna [Wolfe] and I are doing.’’

Tiki, no one is “intentionally misrepresenting” anything. You said what you said. The question is whether what you said sounds like what a lot of people think you said, and whether you meant to say it.

We’ve been giving him the benefit of the doubt as to whether he meant to use the “c” word, because it would be pretty damn stupid to use that word on television, and we all know Tiki is smart. (Just ask him; he’ll tell you. Continuously.)

But for Tiki to try to paint himself as the victim is shameful. Folks have concluded in good faith based on the available evidence that he said a dirty word. There’s no “intentional misrepresentation” of anything.

At least MSNBC realizes that no one is “intentionally misrepresenting” the situation and that reasonable minds might differ as to what Barber said. “Tiki and Jenna were discussing total medal count versus gold medal counts and Tiki’s words were unclear,” MSNBC said.

Yeah. His words were unclear. So were Imus’s.

Trying to find the Video again. But to me it looks pretty obvious that Tiki was pissed because his female college took a jab at him about a SuperBowl ring and he called her a "Total Metal Cu^t" on national TV. From the video you can tell she took it the way he said it too. She looked upset about it.

Here is the clip
http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/08/msnbcs-olympic-update-continues-to.html

If it doesnt load just keep refreshing the page.

She just dissed Tiki about not contradicting Brian Williams and he looks down at her and says "Ur a total metal cu^%"

She actually looks pissed but holds back saying anything. Almost like a wry, sarcastic "your a jerk" kind of look.

Cranked up the volume and turned down the bass to clear up the muffled voices and you can distinguish what he said fairly clearly.

mraynrand
08-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Sound and fury

channtheman
08-22-2008, 03:37 AM
I think its funny how NBC is trying to pass it off as "Tiki said something and we're not quite sure what it was" type of thing. Well if you actually think logically, why would Tiki tell someone that "you're a total medal count"? That doesn't even make sense!

RashanGary
08-22-2008, 07:19 AM
First of all, that word is off limits in my vocabulary, but if him and his family use it more liberally than maybe it wasn't as bad intentioned as it sounded.

It was funny though and she did not think it was funny. I know that feeling of anger and suprise to the point that you just can't say anything. She was all talkative before that and barely said a word after. I think she was pissed off and somewhat shocked and I think she'll seek revenge some way. She was on TV so she had to swallow her anger for the moment.

Sparkey
08-22-2008, 07:47 AM
First of all, that word is off limits in my vocabulary, but if him and his family use it more liberally than maybe it wasn't as bad intentioned as it sounded.

This is the type of double standard bullshit that pisses me off. It is a degrading comment and because a person/family uses it liberally does not make it less offensive. It is no different than the N***** word. It is offensive and degrading, yet I hear the excuse all the time that it is used by certain groups as affectionate, so therefore not offensive when used in that context.

BULL SHIT!! It either is acceptable or unacceptable language. There is no "context" that changes it, otherwise the idea that all people are "equals" does not apply, since there would be a clear application of bias based on race/ethnicity/culture.

sharpe1027
08-22-2008, 01:03 PM

This is the type of double standard bullshit that pisses me off. It is a degrading comment and because a person/family uses it liberally does not make it less offensive. It is no different than the N***** word. It is offensive and degrading, yet I hear the excuse all the time that it is used by certain groups as affectionate, so therefore not offensive when used in that context.

BULL SHIT!! It either is acceptable or unacceptable language. There is no "context" that changes it, otherwise the idea that all people are "equals" does not apply, since there would be a clear application of bias based on race/ethnicity/culture.

What he said was unacceptable. J.H. only said maybe it wasn't as badly intentioned, not that it was acceptable. Some people use swear words as everyday vocabulary; they generally don't intend for it to carry as much weight as someone who hardly ever swears. You are the one who brought race and ethnicity into it, ask youself why you read so much into JH's post that was not there.

Sparkey
08-22-2008, 01:19 PM

What he said was unacceptable. J.H. only said maybe it wasn't as badly intentioned, not that it was acceptable. Some people use swear words as everyday vocabulary; they generally don't intend for it to carry as much weight as someone who hardly ever swears. You are the one who brought race and ethnicity into it, ask youself why you read so much into JH's post that was not there.

Don Imus - radio commentator - "nappy headed hoe's" -- lambasted by everyone at NBC radio

Tiki barber - tv commentator - "ur a metal cu*&" -- brushed off as nothing by same network

Double standards, thats all I am saying. BTW I never brought race into it, just used the context of application to show it is not justified in any way, shape or form.

MadtownPacker
08-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah he said it. He had his hater face on when he did. Same one he used on Eli.

swede
08-22-2008, 01:23 PM
I haven't seen the clip, but I've got to stand up for my man, Tiki.

He's too much of a brain dick to call anyone a medal cunt.

Seriously, I think it is much more likely that he was trying to say that she was "medal count" than it was that he was trying to call a colleague a "metal cunt" while broadcasting live.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/8_k_SigFreudBuchach_sm.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/banana.gif

MadtownPacker
08-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Watch the clip.

The Leaper
08-22-2008, 02:17 PM
I agree on the double standard. This is no different from the Imus comments...outside of the fact that Tiki is black and therefore can get away with saying whatever the hell he pleases.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-22-2008, 04:27 PM
I agree on the double standard. This is no different from the Imus comments...outside of the fact that Tiki is black and therefore can get away with saying whatever the hell he pleases.

There is a difference. One is definitely invoking race into the picture...the term "nappy headed" is one of a race.

C_nt has no racial overtones.

Both, however, are offensive.

The fact that tiki is black and is getting away with it is laughable.

Partial
08-23-2008, 01:00 AM

It was funny though and she did not think it was funny. I know that feeling of anger and suprise to the point that you just can't say anything. She was all talkative before that and barely said a word after. I think she was pissed off and somewhat shocked and I think she'll seek revenge some way. She was on TV so she had to swallow her anger for the moment.

:lol: It's off limits to the guy who says far more degrading things about women in here on a regular basis? Really? To the guy who beat somebody up in front on family night for a fruit of the loom crappy t-shirt?!? Honestly?!?

Partial
08-23-2008, 01:00 AM
I think its pretty funny. But, its inappropriate and he should probably be fired.

th87
08-23-2008, 03:06 AM
I have to agree with Swede here. Would anyone really be that dumb?

Guiness
08-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Put me with the group that says he should make a public apology or face some disciplinary action for this.

What hasn't been talked about much was the comment she made to him about the SB ring. That was pretty low, I'm not sure why she did it. He certainly had grounds for taking a shot at her, but IMO that was over the line. Bigguns, you're right that this had no racial overtones - but of course there are groups that aren't racial. That word is very degrading and insulting to women overall.

I don't know why he's getting away with it. I have to read into in that MSNBC thinks it's ok to be insulting towards women.

NewsBruin
08-24-2008, 02:00 AM
He's "getting away with it" because

a) He doesn't have any history as a TV personality yet.
b) He didn't say "c*nt" unmistakenly.

Unlike Imus, who has a long track record (and marketed appeal) of being a jack-bastard to everyone, Tiki is new at this. Also, Tiki didn't say, "Damn, Vanessa, you're one loopy c*nt," where everyone could have agreed on what he meant.

The network has no interest in making any big deal out of this. If they review the tape and interview Barber, Brian Williams, and the female co-host, and decide Tiki mouthed off, then they're going to quietly suspend or release him, depending on what he's signed and whether they think it would hurt if ESPN picked him up as a commentator.

I don't feel like I'm super-sheltered, but C*nt is one of the last remaining words that it's just not cool to say, no matter what the circumstance.

SnakeLH2006
08-24-2008, 03:01 AM

:lol: It's off limits to the guy who says far more degrading things about women in here on a regular basis? Really? To the guy who beat somebody up in front on family night for a fruit of the loom crappy t-shirt?!? Honestly?!?

Let's be fair Partial. I was at the game too, and they announced it was Arod's game worn jersey before they launched it into the crowd. Jeez.... :shock: And back to topic, yes the "C" word is offensive, but so is Tiki acting the know-it-all star RB role in EVERY media opportunity he has. At least Ronde doesn't talk much.