PDA

View Full Version : Tom Silverstein : Sporting News Packer report 6/16/06

motife
06-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Packers Team Report
6/16/2006

By Tom Silverstein
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: There isn't a lot of playing time to be had in the interior of the defensive line, but former Giants DT Kenderick Allen is making a push to get into the rotation. The enormous Allen reported to the first mini-camp at a hefty 341 pounds but has dropped 16 since then and has shown great power at the point of attack. The 6-5 Allen is best suited for nose tackle, but with DTs Ryan Pickett and Colin Cole ahead of him he'll also play the three-technique and could find playing time there, especially on passing downs. His ability to push the pocket will get him a long look this summer. . . .

Don't be surprised to see the club go with two halfbacks on certain occasions. Both Najeh Davenport and Noah Herron have the ability to fill the fullback position and could team with either Ahman Green or Samkon Gado in the same backfield. The fullback will have some ball-carrying responsibilities and the prospect of putting two running threats on the field at the same time is somewhat intriguing. However, neither Davenport nor Herron are as accomplished in blocking as FBs William Henderson and Vonta Leach.

SCOUTING REPORT: DT Corey Williams doesn't stand out as an athlete. But as a competitor he's top-flight, and that's what is keeping him around. He is in the mix for a starting tackle job because he won't give up. He's powerful but not dominant, and he pursues well but isn't tremendously quick. His pass-rushing techniques need to improve because he's not going to overwhelm opposing tackles with his ability. He will, however, get sacks on pure hustle.

REHAB UPDATE: Don't be surprised if LB Brady Poppinga is ready to go in training camp. Just six months removed from a torn ACL, he is nearing full strength. He won't be allowed on the field until sometime during camp because it would be foolish to risk re-injury, but it looks as if Poppinga will be ready by the start of the season. There's a good chance he'll be the starter on the strong side given his outstanding rookie season when he led the team in special teams tackles and began contributing at linebacker late in the year. Though undersized, he is explosive and aggressive, which is what the coaches require from their linebackers.

TACKLES ANALYSIS: A-minus. Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher are anchors and keep QB Brett Favre from taking a lot of direct hits.

Oscar
06-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks Motife. Two good reads. :smile:

CaliforniaCheez
06-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Running and other activities are okay but competitive training camp environment is hard on the ACL. Poppinga will be at risk for awhile.
His injury was in December an it is normally a year to heal. I don't want to see him re-injured. Many players have come back too early.

Allen an the other DT's had to show enough for Washington to be cut(some will say that isn't much).

Some cuts at RB and DB will hurt this year.

packer4life
06-16-2006, 06:48 PM
"There's a good chance he'll be the starter on the strong side given his outstanding rookie season when he led the team in special teams tackles and began contributing at linebacker late in the year."

WOW. haven't really heard this sort of prediction from anyone yet. I liked what i saw of him before his injury; my fingers are crossed that he pans out...has more potential than ben taylor does IMO

CaptainKickass
06-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Packers Team Report
Don't be surprised to see the club go with two halfbacks on certain occasions. Both Najeh Davenport and Noah Herron have the ability to fill the fullback position and could team with either Ahman Green or Samkon Gado in the same backfield. The fullback will have some ball-carrying responsibilities and the prospect of putting two running threats on the field at the same time is somewhat intriguing. However, neither Davenport nor Herron are as accomplished in blocking as FBs William Henderson and Vonta Leach.

I mentioned this in a post a while back, although it was purely speculation, it will give opposing D something to consider if you've got 2 or possibly 3 RB's in the backfield at once.

Imagine that with a few effective runs and then some play action/bootleg rollouts........

That would be sahweeeeet!!

packer4life
06-16-2006, 08:58 PM
how about we install the wishbone with noah herron, najeh davenport, and ahman green...WHO THE HELL GETS THE BALL SO TRICKY

Willard
06-16-2006, 10:05 PM
By Tom Silverstein
There's a good chance he'll be the starter on the strong side given his outstanding rookie season when he led the team in special teams tackles and began contributing at linebacker late in the year.

I thought Poppinga looked pretty good on special teams too, but I would be shocked if he is a starter at the beginning of the season! He has so little experience, and his knee is still vulnerable. I think there's a much better chance Pop is a PUP than a starter come Sept 10. This is why we brought in a veteran. The Pack should start Taylor and bring Pop back slowly. If all goes well Taylor may be a one-year stop-gap until Pop, Hodge, Manning, etc are ready for prime time.

pittstang5
06-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Packers Team Report
6/16/2006

By Tom Silverstein
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Though undersized, he is explosive and aggressive, which is what the coaches require from their linebackers.

Undersized? Poppinga? He's listed at 6'3" 245 - the largest LB on this team.

retailguy
06-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Taylor may be a one-year stop-gap until Pop, Hodge, Manning, etc are ready for prime time.

What about Hawk and Barnett? :shock:

motife
06-17-2006, 03:56 AM
Taylor may be a one-year stop-gap until Pop, Hodge, Manning, etc are ready for prime time.

My "dream" starting trio of LB's would be Roy Manning, Brady Poppinga and Kurt Campbell, with Hawk, Barnett, Hodge and Taylor providing depth. :idea: :oops: :shock:

Fritz
06-17-2006, 06:12 AM
Motife, you have some bizarre dreams.

HarveyWallbangers
06-17-2006, 09:34 AM
I thought Poppinga looked pretty good on special teams too, but I would be shocked if he is a starter at the beginning of the season! He has so little experience, and his knee is still vulnerable. I think there's a much better chance Pop is a PUP than a starter come Sept 10. This is why we brought in a veteran. The Pack should start Taylor and bring Pop back slowly. If all goes well Taylor may be a one-year stop-gap until Pop, Hodge, Manning, etc are ready for prime time.

I agree.

wist43
06-17-2006, 10:27 AM
I don't know why you guys would be surprised if Poppinga started... He's big, tough, and fast - and, if healthy he should be on the field.

What he lacks in experience at the LB position he makes up for with his other positives. Yes, he will make some mistakes and be out of position from time to time, but his upside is enough to justify allowing him to learn on the job.

Where Chistl gets the idea that Poppinga is "undersized" is beyond me. He's the biggest LB on the roster, and played DE at BYU.

My LB corp is: Hawk, Hodge, Poppinga...

Of course, reality says it will be: Hawk, Barnett, Taylor.

pbmax
06-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Maybe he meant undersized for a DE. Silverstein sometimes doesn't seem to take his moonlighting very seriously.

The detriment to Poppinga starting is if he doesn't get camp time at full speed and in all drills. I don't think he starts unless he participates in most of camp. Just a gut feeling for a defense that stesses precision and execution.

HarveyWallbangers
06-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Where Chistl gets the idea that Poppinga is "undersized" is beyond me.

Silverstein. Not Christl.

Polaris
06-17-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm kinda skeptical that Poppinga is ever going to be a long term starter for this team. He's already middle-aged by NFL LB standards as a result of his missionary work in college. He's coming off a serious injury.

And he's got so me tough competition. If you assume that Hawk and Barnet are fixtures for the next year or two, he's competing with Manning--Campbell---Hodge---Taylor for that last starting spot.

Personally, I think it's more likely that he'll see time as a rush end in passing situations and will be one of our key special teams players. That would get him on the field for about 30 plays, all of them involving 3rd and long or a change of possession......in other words, 30 important plays.

If he becomes the starter....more power to him, but I'm dubious that it'll ever happen.

KYPack
06-17-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm kinda skeptical that Poppinga is ever going to be a long term starter for this team. He's already middle-aged by NFL LB standards as a result of his missionary work in college. He's coming off a serious injury.

And he's got so me tough competition. If you assume that Hawk and Barnet are fixtures for the next year or two, he's competing with Manning--Campbell---Hodge---Taylor for that last starting spot.

Personally, I think it's more likely that he'll see time as a rush end in passing situations and will be one of our key special teams players. That would get him on the field for about 30 plays, all of them involving 3rd and long or a change of possession......in other words, 30 important plays.

If he becomes the starter....more power to him, but I'm dubious that it'll ever happen.

Polaris,

We think so much alike, sometimes I think you are me!

Pop is the kind of guy you want on your team. A special teams terror and a guy who cause the other teams problems in situations. That said, he's green as goose poop at the regular LB position. He has virtually no cover skills.

But the time he learns his regular position, he'll be 29 -30.

Siverstein doens't really know much football, he's an insider and "scoops" kind of reporter.

Siverstein lost his ranking as "house man" after Sherman left.

Willard
06-17-2006, 01:11 PM

I think they will definitely be the other 2 starters. The question is who will be the 3rd starting LB? I say start Taylor early, and replace him when one of the up-and-comers takes the starting spot away from him.
Unlike last year, it appears the Pack has the luxury (i.e., depth) to be patient with Pop's recovery. If Pop re-injures his knee I think his career really gets screwed up. Due to his 2-year LDS mission he is already 26 years old. He can't afford to miss another season. As Coach MM is fond of saying, "we need to be smart with him".

motife
06-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Where Chistl gets the idea that Poppinga is "undersized" is beyond me.

Silverstein. Not Christl.

In Silverstein's analysis of the Packers before the draft he wrote that the Packers would likely pick Iowa Hawkeye Linebacker A.J. Hawk.

I wrote him saying it's Ohio St. stupid. He changed it, but didn't thank me.