PDA

View Full Version : VP raffle, GOP edition

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2008, 10:58 AM
choose wisely

hoosier
08-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Surprise candidate = Ted Stevens. He'll make people forget that McCain's a declining septogenerian in a heartbeat.

SkinBasket
08-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Broccoli does give you gas... Hmm. Who knew.

sheepshead
08-22-2008, 05:12 PM
I voted for Mitt in the primary. He's almost the complete package. Should be a good ticket considering the times we live in.

BallHawk
08-22-2008, 05:58 PM
It'll be Pawlenty.

sheepshead
08-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Anyone like Kay Bailey Hutchison now?

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I hated Romney in the primaries, a personality thing, but I've kind of warmed-up to the possibility that he might be very competent.

I think Romney is a pretty good choice. I think he is the most likely, but the field of possible Republicans is very wide. So a surprise candidate is my pick. Don't know who that would be - Colin Powell? Many possibilities.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Anyone like Kay Bailey Hutchison now?

I don't like her now, then, or in the future. She's a spiteful, narrow-minded little ****, even tho she can turn on the southern grace for an interview.

Freak Out
08-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Another Texan? Please no.

Maxie the Taxi
08-23-2008, 06:30 PM
A Surprise Candidate: Sarah Palin

http://palinforvp.blogspot.com/

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Bill Kristol got the Sarah Palin ball rolling months ago. Kristol is very astute politically, might be a good choice.

Freak Out
08-23-2008, 07:36 PM

Not a chance in hell. Palin is already circling the drain up here.

bobblehead
08-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Why would he pick romney, an economics genious, a guy who understands currency issues and taxations effect on things..no shot, mccain needs someone like himself.

BallHawk
08-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Why would he pick romney, an economics genious, a guy who understands currency issues and taxations effect on things..no shot, mccain needs someone like himself.

When economic "geniuses" come to mind I think of Adam Smith and Paul Samuelson, not Mitt Romney....

mraynrand
08-24-2008, 01:57 AM
Bill Kristol got the Sarah Palin ball rolling months ago. Kristol is very astute politically, might be a good choice.

Bill Kristol doesn't want to be V.P.

sheepshead
08-24-2008, 09:41 AM
The economy is always a key issue even when it's not. The only man with significant successful experience in this area might be some swing voters to the ticket.

bobblehead
08-24-2008, 12:26 PM

When economic "geniuses" come to mind I think of Adam Smith and Paul Samuelson, not Mitt Romney....

Which of those guys made 100's of millions?? You are a young liberal so it doesn't surprise me you would value academia over actual accomplishments. Guys who can become republicans and do, guys who can't become democratic teachers and theorists.

BallHawk
08-24-2008, 01:56 PM

Which of those guys made 100's of millions?? You are a young liberal so it doesn't surprise me you would value academia over actual accomplishments. Guys who can become republicans and do, guys who can't become democratic teachers and theorists.

So now if you make 100's of millions you're qualified to be a VP? Damn, guess Obama should somebody like Warren Buffett or Larry Ellison.

And I'm not a liberal, for the most part I despise liberals. I'm a left-leaning moderate. :D

retailguy
08-24-2008, 02:13 PM
And I'm not a liberal, for the most part I despise liberals. I'm a left-leaning moderate. :D

And McCain is a "right leaning moderate". You guys are fucking bookends.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Guys who can become republicans and do, guys who can't become democratic teachers and theorists.

I didn't realize you were such a deep thinker.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-24-2008, 05:16 PM

Romney is no dummy, but let's not conflate making money and succeeding at business with being the same as being an econ genius.

retailguy
08-24-2008, 05:23 PM
After the TV spot the McCain campaign released today, I think you've gotta put the money on Romney. If they don't pick him, the same spot gets released against McCain. Surely they considered this before they released the ad.

bobblehead
08-24-2008, 11:28 PM

Romney is no dummy, but let's not conflate making money and succeeding at business with being the same as being an econ genius.

I should be more clear...he made money BECAUSE he understands all these things, not because he was a gifted tech guy or something like that. Everything he speaks shows his understanding from his stance that a business should be allowed a first year full depreciation on infrastructure investment to his stance on a 250k capital gains tax exemption.

When is that last time that mccain or obama or bush talked about how the feds fiscal policy and interest rate decisions affects currency value or investment from existing corporations?? These are normal topics for romney, but it bores most people so they vote for the rock star obama cuz he chants change or mccain the "maverick" cuz it feels diplomatic to say you're a moderate. A moderate is someone who can't defend a position so they try to play the middle of the road and sound smart instead of getting their hands dirty.

finally, did I really mispell genius in my original post...man am I a n00b!

The Leaper
08-25-2008, 09:52 AM
With Biden being the Dem VP choice, I think the only two people McCain can seriously look at right now are Romney and Lieberman. Going with a relatively unknown/unproven VP would not be a good choice, and they could be exposed by Biden in debates. Romney and Lieberman can hold their own against Biden.

McCain wants Lieberman. That is my feeling. He also realizes it is a huge risk/reward pick. If McCain was not currently in the midst of a rebound in the polls, I think Lieberman would be an easy choice. However, with the race virtually neck and neck now, does McCain swing for the fences or play small ball?

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2008, 12:01 PM
By most accounts Lieberman did poorly in the VP debates the last time.

NOBODY on the Republican side is going to beat Biden in debates. Many thought Biden "won" all the Dem debates he participated in during the primaries, although he had the advantage of being looser since he was such a long shot.

The good news for Republicans is that the VP debates don't count for much. Romney can do OK.

bobblehead
08-25-2008, 12:20 PM
By most accounts Lieberman did poorly in the VP debates the last time.

NOBODY on the Republican side is going to beat Biden in debates. Many thought Biden "won" all the Dem debates he participated in during the primaries, although he had the advantage of being looser since he was such a long shot.

The good news for Republicans is that the VP debates don't count for much. Romney can do OK.

Finally we agree on one thing...Biden made the democratic field look childish in the debates...no comparison, he had sound fundamental answers while the others were playing politics. "Uh, I support liscences for illegals BUT only because I want them insured and driving safely"

HowardRoark
08-25-2008, 12:23 PM
NOBODY on the Republican side is going to beat Biden in debates.

Surprise candidate.........

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/13/NewtGingrichPhotograph.jpg/502px-NewtGingrichPhotograph.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2008, 12:32 PM
That's true, Newt Gingrich might be a Republican who could meet or beat Biden. Gingrich would be a good choice, except, don't McCain and Gingrich play checkers together out on the sidewalk cafe on sunny afternoons? I think McCain needs a VP or can sink a three-pointer like Obama.

The Leaper
08-25-2008, 01:44 PM

I can agree on that...but Biden can beat himself. He is a blowhard, and can say dumb things at times.

Romney would hold his own against Biden. You don't make your fortune as a venture capitalist by being a pansy ass.

Zool
08-25-2008, 02:25 PM
She turned me into a newt!

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/grail/inlines/05_vllgr.jpg

Sparkey
08-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Put me down for Sarah Palin, AK Governor

http://www.foxnews.com/images/299305/0_21_palin_sarah.jpg

mraynrand
08-27-2008, 08:14 AM
How about Michael Palin?

http://blog.92y.org/images/collage/blog_michaelpalin.jpg

mraynrand
08-27-2008, 08:16 AM

I can agree on that...but Biden can beat himself. He is a blowhard, and can say dumb things at times.

Romney would hold his own against Biden. You don't make your fortune as a venture capitalist by being a pansy ass.

Careful what you write - you may get Harlan all excited.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2008, 08:13 PM
McCain has come a long way in winning over the hearts and minds of true America-loving American. He needs to choose Romney to finish that job.

In a more practical sense, Romney helps him to wrap up Michigan, which the Dems pissed off and away over the primary thing. Romney also helps in Mormon-heavy Nevada and to a lesser extent, Colorado, which the Dems have thoughts of stealing.

Pawlenty may be a nice guy and a fairly decent conservative, but he is a nobody with a funny name. Besides, Minnesota has a lot less electoral votes than Michigan.

Pawlenty, Palin, and others like Bobby Jindal may be great future prospects, but they aren't known or experienced enough to be good candidates.

I'm tempted to advocate Condoleeza Rice, but the fact is, we really know very little about her views on anything other than foreign policy.

Romney would stack up real well next to Biden--similar in appearance, stature, and style, but diametrically different in a wonderful pro-American way--in favor of Romney--on the issues.

And in case it makes a difference, Romney would be far and away more eminently qualified to be president than any of the others mentioned.

HowardRoark
08-27-2008, 09:51 PM
McCain has come a long way in winning over the hearts and minds of true America-loving American. He needs to choose Romney to finish that job.

In a more practical sense, Romney helps him to wrap up Michigan, which the Dems pissed off and away over the primary thing. Romney also helps in Mormon-heavy Nevada and to a lesser extent, Colorado, which the Dems have thoughts of stealing.

Pawlenty may be a nice guy and a fairly decent conservative, but he is a nobody with a funny name. Besides, Minnesota has a lot less electoral votes than Michigan.

Pawlenty, Palin, and others like Bobby Jindal may be great future prospects, but they aren't known or experienced enough to be good candidates.

I'm tempted to advocate Condoleeza Rice, but the fact is, we really know very little about her views on anything other than foreign policy.

Romney would stack up real well next to Biden--similar in appearance, stature, and style, but diametrically different in a wonderful pro-American way--in favor of Romney--on the issues.

And in case it makes a difference, Romney would be far and away more eminently qualified to be president than any of the others mentioned.

I agree with every word of this post.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-27-2008, 09:54 PM

First sign of the apocalypse.

mraynrand
08-28-2008, 10:17 AM

http://remote.lohudblogs.com/files/2008/03/tina-fey-portrait.JPG

Sarah Palin is quite attractive.

HowardRoark
08-28-2008, 10:51 AM
The future ticket....

http://www.conservative.org/images/PaulRyan2.gif http://crucialtaunt.com/politics/images/SarahPalin380tall.jpg

sheepshead
08-28-2008, 10:53 AM

First sign of the apocalypse.

:lol:

LL2
08-28-2008, 11:11 AM

I didn't know she was a hot MILF. Get her on the ticket!

In reality I think Romney makes a good choice. McCain needs someone that can solidify the ticket.

digitaldean
08-28-2008, 12:43 PM
I think it will probably be Romney. If he picks Hutchinson, he'll hear howls from the pro-life groups. If he picks Lieberman, he could get a floor fight on his hands.

bobblehead
08-28-2008, 06:34 PM
How about this scenario....McCain has REALLY been running to the right, but can't run from his record so he loses...badly. In 2012 we get Newt Gingrich and Bobby Jindal, that is my dream scenario.

sheepshead
08-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Palin??? Rumors are heating up this morning.

LL2
08-29-2008, 08:43 AM

Yup, they say a Gulfstream yet flew from Alaska to Cincy and a woman and two teen sons were rushed into a van this morning. It was real hush hush! Pawlenty said he will be at the Minnesota state fair and Romney is in California.

Going with Palin seems like a move to really court the women voters and an effort to get Hilary supporters. My thing is, who is Palin. I don't follow politics as much as I used to, but I have never heard of her. I have a feeling many others have not either. I'd love to see her debate Biden though.

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 09:05 AM

Yup, they say a Gulfstream yet flew from Alaska to Cincy and a woman and two teen sons were rushed into a van this morning. It was real hush hush! Pawlenty said he will be at the Minnesota state fair and Romney is in California.

Going with Palin seems like a move to really court the women voters and an effort to get Hilary supporters. My thing is, who is Palin. I don't follow politics as much as I used to, but I have never heard of her. I have a feeling many others have not either. I'd love to see her debate Biden though.

Palin is actually a logical choice. She adds six things to McCain's ticket:

1) She's a solid conservative, so she energizes the base (esp. on abortion;

2) She's a magnet for disaffected women voters who wanted Hillary;

3) She comes from humble roots so she negates the "elite" and "rich" arguments;

4) She's young, so she makes it difficult for the Dems to raise the age issue and if the Dems criticize her for inexperience the Repubs can turn it back on Obama;

5) She's from an "energy" state and is all for drilling for oil in Anwar, which negates McCain's idiocy on the issue;

6) She guarantees the states of Pennsylvania, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin for McCain in the Fall.

HowardRoark
08-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Not bad......I'll take this as a "strong woman" over Hillary's version anyday.

http://www.alaskaseafood.org/industry/enews/092607govpalinfish.jpg

http://community.adn.com/sites/community.adn.com/files/images/Palin_resize.preview.jpg

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Not bad......I'll take this as a "strong woman" over Hillary's version anyday.

http://www.alaskaseafood.org/industry/enews/092607govpalinfish.jpg

http://community.adn.com/sites/community.adn.com/files/images/Palin_resize.preview.jpg

You got it. Plus, she's a two-fisted beer drinker as well! Every midwestern man's dreamgirl! [I think she's a former beauty queen too, Ms. Alaska?]

SkinBasket
08-29-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm really starting to hope she's the pick and McCain dies 2 weeks into his term. She's kind of cute.

mraynrand
08-29-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm really starting to hope she's the pick and McCain dies 2 weeks into his term. She's kind of cute.

Tex?

HowardRoark
08-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Biden might hit on her during the debates.

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 09:27 AM
FOX News just confirmed that "backstage sources" say Sarah Palin IS McCain's pick.

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 09:28 AM
FOX News has also confirmed with an unnamed source that she will be nominated at the convention by Bill Clinton.

SkinBasket
08-29-2008, 09:30 AM

Tex?

I didn't say assassinated. A peaceful natural death with a moment of deathbed clarity for his meaning of life epiphany is what I'm looking for. Then get her in a nice sexy mourning dress to address the nation and I'll be happy.

mraynrand
08-29-2008, 09:33 AM

Tex?

I didn't say assassinated. A peaceful natural death with a moment of deathbed clarity for his meaning of life epiphany is what I'm looking for. Then get her in a nice sexy mourning dress to address the nation and I'll be happy.

She can borrow my morning coat:

http://www.knize.at/popup/p_stil/images/p_3_4.jpg

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Selected quotes from palinforgovernor.com

FREE MARKET – “I am a conservative Republican, a firm believer in free market capitalism. A free market system allows all parties to compete, which ensures the best and most competitive project emerges, and ensures a fair, democratic process.”

EDUCATION – Click here to read Gov. Palin’s full position paper on Education.

GUNS AND HUNTING - “I am a lifetime member of the NRA, I support our Constitutional right to bear arms and am a proponent of gun safety programs for Alaska's youth….I have always strongly supported the personal use of fish and game by Alaskans. I grew up hunting and fishing in Alaska, and I am proud to raise my children with this same uniquely Alaskan heritage. … Anti-hunting groups who oppose hunting and fishing rights will be the winners if we allow them to pit us against ourselves….As an Alaskan with strong beliefs on this issue, I am confident in my ability to build consensus among diverse user groups and reconcile the many competing interests in a manner.”

SMALL BUSINESS – “As Mayor and CEO of the booming city of Wasilla, my team invited investment and encouraged business growth by eliminating small business inventory taxes, eliminated personal property taxes, reduced real property tax mill levies every year I was in office, reduced fees, and built the infrastructure our businesses needed to grow and prosper.”

MILITARY - “I respect our military personnel and understand the importance of Alaska's National Guard. As I watched our military men and women being deployed I recognized how important it is for their families to know how much Alaska and America support them.”

HEALTH CARE – “I support flexibility in government regulations that allow competition in health care that is needed, and is proven to be good for the consumer, which will drive down health care costs and reduce the need for government subsidies. I also support patients in their rightful demands to have access to full medical billing information.”

SOCIAL ISSUES – “I am pro-life and I believe that marriage should only be between and man and a woman.”

ENVIRONMENT – “Regimes to protect Stellar Sea Lions must be based on sound science not personal agendas…I will fight in every way possible to make sure that our fishing communities are protected from the personal agendas of federal fishery managers”

“I believe in protecting Alaska's environment through fair enforcement of our environmental laws. Having a clean record on environmental regulation is critical to getting ANWR open and maintaining our fisheries mining, timber, and tourism industries.”

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
IT'S NOW OFFICIAL!!! per FOX

LL2
08-29-2008, 09:36 AM
FOX News has also confirmed with an unnamed source that she will be nominated at the convention by Bill Clinton.

I'm sure Clinton will be hitting on her and contemplating switching sides (or wives).

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Imagine this. If McCain dies in office, the libertarians will have a President sitting in the White House.

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Unbelievable! I'm energized!

texaspackerbacker
08-29-2008, 09:38 AM
I was disappointed when I got up and the first thing I heard was that it wasn't Romney. I am, however, getting very psyched up the more I hear about Sarah Palin.

She is a solid conservative and apparently, a good competent person. She also would seem to be a sharp political pick--solidifying the conservative base, helping pick up disaffected Hillary supporters, and maybe cutting into the youth vote.

Fox and CNN now say it's sure. MSNBC still doesn't have a clue.

HowardRoark
08-29-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm energized!

Easy there Maxie.....was that your wife running out the back door?

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 09:40 AM
I was disappointed when I got up and the first thing I heard was that it wasn't Romney. I am, however, getting very psyched up the more I hear about Sarah Palin.

She is a solid conservative and apparently, a good competent person. She also would seem to be a sharp political pick--solidifying the conservative base, helping pick up disaffected Hillary supporters, and maybe cutting into the youth vote.

Fox and CNN now say it's sure. MSNBC still doesn't have a clue.

Did MSNBC ever have a clue?

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 09:42 AM
I just heard her husband is a four-time champion of the world's longest snowmobile race. Is Northern Wisconsin on board the McCain/Palin Express yet?

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm energized!

Yeah, I know. I got to tone it down. If my heart gets over 38 beats a minute, I'm supposed to call the doc. It's about 35 now.

LL2
08-29-2008, 09:45 AM
It's official...it's Palin.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/29/mccain.vp/index.html

mraynrand
08-29-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm energized!

Yeah, I know. I got to tone it down. If my heart gets over 38 beats a minute, I'm supposed to call the doc. It's about 35 now.

35? What are you, a triathlete?

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm energized!

35? What are you, a triathlete?

Just old.

HowardRoark
08-29-2008, 09:59 AM
The Lefty media is already getting their story together. No experience, terrible pick.

Who has more experience? Sarah or Obama?

texaspackerbacker
08-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Testing.

My posts didn't come through in the "Tex" thread.

Zool
08-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Been fixed. You had a space in a URL.

LL2
08-29-2008, 10:19 AM
The Lefty media is already getting their story together. No experience, terrible pick.

Who has more experience? Sarah or Obama?

The Dems are going to go after a VP pick with little experience when their Presidential nominee has very little experience? :roll: The truth is Governors tend to do better as picks than Senators.

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Which party now can be labeled as the Washington Insider party? McCain has a credible rep as a maverick and Palin....well, she's from about as far away from Washington (in miles, temperment and philosophy) as you can get.

The Dems are running two Senators who have never known anything other than politics. One spent over 35 years in Washington. The other has been there two years but has the Roosevelt big government mentality.

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 10:34 AM
After gushing for days about the Joe Biden pick, the CNN talking heads are now saying the VP choice doesn't mean anything and doesn't affect the race at all.

Please.

texaspackerbacker
08-29-2008, 10:42 AM
After gushing for days about the Joe Biden pick, the CNN talking heads are now saying the VP choice doesn't mean anything and doesn't affect the race at all.

Please.

That will be determined by the voters.

The more I hear, the more I like the pick, though.

The conservative base, women, maybe youth, add to that Catholics.

She's got a tough enough background that she isn't going to get beat down as being weak. She's the mother of a soldier. She is the only one of the four with executive experience. And she has valid first hand responses to the environmentalist wackos.

I'm for her.

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 10:44 AM
McCain's choice has thrown the media for a loop. MSNBC Washington bureau chief just looked shell-shocked. He stammered and mumbled something that made no sense.

The talking heads criticize the pick because THEY'VE never heard of Palin. Well, dah, she's not a regular on the Washington cocktail party circuit.

I love it.

mraynrand
08-29-2008, 10:56 AM
I just have to say it: WOO HOO! WOO HOO! I love it!!!! It's like McCain nominated my wife. What a day! I wasn't enthusiastic about any of the guys mentioned who were all over the map on issues or weak conservatives on some issues. And I was deathly afraid of McCain picking Huckabee, though I thought it was pretty unlikely. Palin looks like the real deal.

Scott Campbell
08-29-2008, 11:10 AM
I can't believe it. The Dems had this election handed to them on a silver platter. Now it looks wide open to me.

LL2
08-29-2008, 11:24 AM
I can't believe it. The Dems had this election handed to them on a silver platter. Now it looks wide open to me.

I wouldn't say they hand the election handed to them on a silver platter. Jst a few days ago the polls showed Obama and McCain at a tie 47% a piece. Not sure what the polls are now after the convention, but the Palin pick is going to make it tougher for Obama. It's like McCain came out guns ablazing!

Sparkey
08-29-2008, 11:30 AM

I love this country!!
:wave:

Scott Campbell
08-29-2008, 11:32 AM

I wouldn't say they hand the election handed to them on a silver platter. Jst a few days ago the polls showed Obama and McCain at a tie 47% a piece. Not sure what the polls are now after the convention, but the Palin pick is going to make it tougher for Obama. It's like McCain came out guns ablazing!

I say they were handed the election on a silver platter because of George's approval rating, the war, and the economy. 6 months ago I thought no Republican could be elected come November. No way. No how.

I guess that's why the say it ain't over till its over.

Deputy Nutz
08-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Palin for VP

Deputy Nutz
08-29-2008, 11:42 AM
As soon as McCain ran that add with the woman bashing the dems for not picking a woman I figured his running mate was going to be a woman.

Now my liberal feminist wife will be voting for McCain and I can talk all the shit I want about Obama.

HowardRoark
08-29-2008, 11:47 AM
They need to put McCain on the bench and only have Sarah at the podium. She could teach him a thing or two about how to give a speech.

texaspackerbacker
08-29-2008, 11:47 AM
HALLELUJAH!

And she can speak good too!

McCain hit a home run with this choice!

Deputy Nutz
08-29-2008, 11:48 AM
She is kinda hot. I love powerful women.

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Nobody in Washington knew who Palin was until today. I think they're going to get to know her real, real well over the next two months!!!!!

Zool
08-29-2008, 11:51 AM

This must get you all moist.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080816/i/r398899943.jpg

Freak Out
08-29-2008, 11:51 AM

Pardon my interuption of the jerk fest...

I would say this is a pretty desperate move on Mac's part....but some would say a very astute move on his part. He needs the "Palin Smile" and her youth. I'm proud that an Alaskan is in the position she is in and do agree with her on a few issues here in AK and will give her credit for opening up the business of the State when most of the past Governors always made the deals behind closed doors....but she is under investigation here for firing the head of State law enforcement over what looks to be issues with her sisters ex....a State Trooper (granted the guy is a complete loser and the only reason he still has his job is of the power of the union). She seems to be fairly well insulated and the tapes they have of her aides working officials for this guy to be fired implicate them more than her....but State investigators are holding some evidence back for now. She was incredibly vague in the debates that led up to her being selected Governor so it will be interesting to say the least how she does against Biden......and she is the former mayor of Wasilla! That alone should get her excluded for consideration. :lol:

Some good friends that are stout republicans here in the State have told me they will not vote for Mac now because there is no way in hell they would want to see her as President. Lets see....Mayor of a town of 10,000 or so....Gov for a couple of years.....hell, why not? You voted Dubya into office.
One question for you Circle J's....do you like the Dick as VP?

mraynrand
08-29-2008, 11:54 AM

This must get you all moist.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080816/i/r398899943.jpg

Only if they hug him.

HowardRoark
08-29-2008, 11:56 AM

She's a woman and has a dick? I think that's a question for Skin.

mraynrand
08-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Some good friends that are stout republicans here in the State have told me they will not vote for Mac now because there is no way in hell they would want to see here as President.

You're faster than quinnipiac in polling...

Freak Out
08-29-2008, 12:03 PM

She's a woman and has a dick? I think that's a question for Skin.

I'm pretty sure she aint packin! :lol:

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 12:07 PM

Pardon my interuption of the jerk fest...

I would say this is a pretty desperate move on Mac's part....but some would say a very astute move on his part. He needs the "Palin Smile" and her youth. I'm proud that an Alaskan is in the position she is in and do agree with her on a few issues here in AK and will give her credit for opening up the business of the State when most of the past Governors always made the deals behind closed doors....but she is under investigation here for firing the head of State law enforcement over what looks to be issues with her sisters ex....a State Trooper (granted the guy is a complete loser and the only reason he still has his job is of the power of the union). She seems to be fairly well insulated and the tapes they have of her aides working officials for this guy to be fired implicate them more than her....but State investigators are holding some evidence back for now. She was incredibly vague in the debates that led up to her being selected Governor so it will be interesting to say the least how she does against Biden......and she is the former mayor of Wasilla! That alone should get her excluded for consideration. :lol:

Some good friends that are stout republicans here in the State have told me they will not vote for Mac now because there is no way in hell they would want to see here as President. Lets see....Mayor of a town of 10,000 or so....Gov for a couple of years.....hell, why not? You voted Dubya into office.

Wasn't it Buckley who said we'd be better off being governed by the first 500 names in the phone book than by the professional jerks in Washington now?

Nothing you said makes a difference to me. A shakeup is what was needed in AK and it's exactly what's needed in Washington.

Let the chips fall where they may.

hoosier
08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Palin = Geraldine Ferraro II??

The VP debate is going to be interesting.....

Freak Out
08-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Nothing you said makes a difference to me. A shakeup is what was needed in AK and it's exactly what's needed in Washington.

I don't care one way or another how you vote Taxi. I want a shakeup in DC as much as you but it' a whole different ballgame in DC than it is in Juneau.

Freak Out
08-29-2008, 12:13 PM
By the way Taxi....I agree with the phone book statement....but we need more than just A's. :lol:

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 12:14 PM

I don't care one way or another how you vote Taxi. I want a shakeup in DC as much as you but it' a whole different ballgame in DC than it is in Juneau.

All I can say is: "PLAY BALL!"

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Mayor of a town of 10,000 or so

The first official resoponse out of the Obama campaign was to CRITICIZE her for having been a mayor of a small town! Could they be any more tone deaf? They might as well claim that she speaks for bitter gun owners who cling to religion.

Having seen a town of 10,000 people up close, I would say being a mayor of such a place is plenty difficult, and I value that executive experience more than 10,000 years in the Illinois State Legislature, where all one has to do is vote for bills, avoiding votes that carry political baggage. You know, like Obama did.

For the first time, I think McCain has a shot. The Dems picked the best VP available, and I think the Republicans have done just as well or better with Palin.

A woman with SOLID, small town, union, normal-person credentials = Home run!

http://www.sequelsolutions.biz/mac.jpg

Freak Out
08-29-2008, 12:16 PM

The first official resoponse out of the Obama campaign was to CRITICIZE her for having been a mayor of a small town! Could they be any more tone deaf? They might as well claim that she speaks for bitter gun owners who cling to religion.

Having seen a town of 10,000 people up close, I would say being a mayor of such a place is plenty difficult, and I value that executive experience more than 10,000 years in the Illinois State Legislature, where all one has to do is vote for bills, avoiding votes that carry political baggage. You know, like Obama did.

For the first time, I think McCain has a shot. The Dems picked the best VP available, and I think the Republicans have done just as well or better with Palin.

It looks good on paper.

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 12:17 PM
By the way Taxi....I agree with the phone book statement....but we need more than just A's. :lol:

Agreed. Isn't that the way they selected members of the Student Government in high school? It worked then. All these kids said the same BS as the grownups in Washington now. The difference is that in high school nobody paid any attention to them.

mraynrand
08-29-2008, 12:37 PM

Agreed. Isn't that the way they selected members of the Student Government in high school? It worked then. All these kids said the same BS as the grownups in Washington now. The difference is that in high school nobody paid any attention to them.

We had a girl in our Senior class running for class president who said in her campaign speech: "I want to represent you as a whole" After the laughing died down, the other guy gave his speech. She was not elected.

texaspackerbacker
08-29-2008, 12:44 PM

Glad to STILL have you aboard, Harlan.

bobblehead
08-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Great Politics pick, horrible reality pick. McCain had a last chance to get my vote with romney, but I can't get on board that ticket at this point.

SkinBasket
08-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Great Politics pick, horrible reality pick. McCain had a last chance to get my vote with romney, but I can't get on board that ticket at this point.

Maybe voting Obama will make you feel better. How does that "reality" sit with ya?

LL2
08-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Palin is a former beauty queen. Can we start a thread of hot pictures of her? You know that every foreign president and diplomat will be staring at her ass and boobs, not that she doesn't have brains...because I'm sure she does.

Freak Out
08-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Palin is a former beauty queen. Can we start a thread of hot pictures of her? You know that every foreign president and diplomat will be staring at her ass and boobs, not that she doesn't have brains...because I'm sure she does.

I've promised not to release any of the photo's or video's I have of her.

HowardRoark
08-29-2008, 03:39 PM
http://www.theimproper.com/Images/Art/Sarah%20Palin%20Miss%20Alaska.jpg

Cheesehead Craig
08-29-2008, 03:46 PM
I will admit, she looked pretty hot in the videos of her shooting guns on TV.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Palin is an interesting pick. For sure she helps with the evangelical base..and they are energized.

But, there are many, including women who see this as a craven move for their vote. Not saying it is, but others feel that. And, while she is a woman..she is pro-life...good or bad, that isn't something that is going to woo the independent/clinton women.

As for Maxie's assertion she will help in the midwest..time to readjust your meds. Nobody in the midwest knows her...and why would she deliver votes? That was the appeal of Pawlenty and Romney. She may help in the west.

I feel great about her nomination. You guys have ceded economics...ceded foreign relations, and took away your biggest whipping stick on obama..experience. Gonna be hard to say that against obama when you have a person with a few years governing..who doesn't have any foreign exprience. Thanx John.

As for drilling...lol. How are you going to come to grips with mccain and anwar..and isn't a plank going to be no drilling in anwar?

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 04:23 PM
As for Maxie's assertion she will help in the midwest..time to readjust your meds. Nobody in the midwest knows her...and why would she deliver votes? That was the appeal of Pawlenty and Romney. She may help in the west.

Hey, she hunts. She fishes. She's a lifelong member of the NRA. She drinks beer. And did you see her pictures? I figured all those gun loving horndogs up there in the Midwest that Obama dissed will fawn all over her. Ding! Four states in the bag for McCain.

Sure, the fact that she's a woman factored heavily into her selection. But are you saying the fact that Obama's black didn't factor into his selection? Politicos are all scum. Clinton played the race card in the primaries. McCain's playing the feminist card now. Six of one; half a dozen of the other.

GoPackGo
08-29-2008, 04:27 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3275/2808403325_219ec1e61e.jpg
:)

Tyrone Bigguns
08-29-2008, 04:34 PM

Hey, she hunts. She fishes. She's a lifelong member of the NRA. She drinks beer. And did you see her pictures? I figured all those gun loving horndogs up there in the Midwest that Obama dissed will fawn all over her. Ding! Four states in the bag for McCain.

Sure, the fact that she's a woman factored heavily into her selection. But are you saying the fact that Obama's black didn't factor into his selection? Politicos are all scum. Clinton played the race card in the primaries. McCain's playing the feminist card now. Six of one; half a dozen of the other.

Way to show your elitism and lowly opinion of the voters. Because she does those things that is going to win votes? LOL I guess the midwest doesn't care about jobs, economy, foreign relations.

Pics: If that gets your engine revved..good for you. But, she looks like a regular woman to me. I could care less what someone looked like years ago..."glory days..they'll pass you by."

Obama didn't diss the midwest (unless you count Penn as the midwest)..and there is nothing more hilarious than old white guys and Fox using the term "diss."

Clinton: Are you outta your mind? When did that happen. Bill was unhappy that Obama used the race card.

Black: how did that help obama? Are you telling me that this country is now black and has historically voted for black candidates. His "blackness" hurts him far worse than it helps.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-29-2008, 04:34 PM

that looks like some pic off a website for "swingers."

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Ty!... Bro!... WTF?

Way to show your elitism and lowly opinion of the voters. Because she does those things that is going to win votes? LOL I guess the midwest doesn't care about jobs, economy, foreign relations.
Maxie was joking!!!!

Pics: If that gets your engine revved..good for you. But, she looks like a regular woman to me. I could care less what someone looked like years ago..."glory days..they'll pass you by."

Maxie was joking some more!!!

Obama didn't diss the midwest (unless you count Penn as the midwest)..and there is nothing more hilarious than old white guys and Fox using the term "diss."

Yeah. I'm older than hell, but how you know I'm white? And I got a right of free speech, don't I? "Diss" is standard English, ain't it?

Clinton: Are you outta your mind? When did that happen. Bill was unhappy that Obama used the race card.

I was talking HILLARY Clinton, bro :) . You remember, when she made that comment about Obama not being able to get the rural white vote? That was in the Midwest too -- Pennsylvania. (Yeah, rural Pennsylvania is the Midwest)

Black: how did that help obama? Are you telling me that this country is now black and has historically voted for black candidates. His "blackness" hurts him far worse than it helps.

Damn your slow for a brother :) ! Didn't you watch the "24" series? The liberal elites, including Hollywood and the media, LOVE the idea of a black President. Plus, they can use the racism card. I just heard that a columnist in Newsweek (I think) wrote that if Obama loses in November it will prove that the country's racist.

bobblehead
08-29-2008, 04:52 PM

Maybe voting Obama will make you feel better. How does that "reality" sit with ya?

Bob Barr...he was part of the Gingrich revolution and is running libertarian...call it a protest vote.

bobblehead
08-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Palin is an interesting pick. For sure she helps with the evangelical base..and they are energized.

But, there are many, including women who see this as a craven move for their vote. Not saying it is, but others feel that. And, while she is a woman..she is pro-life...good or bad, that isn't something that is going to woo the independent/clinton women.

I feel great about her nomination. You guys have ceded economics...ceded foreign relations, and took away your biggest whipping stick on obama..experience. Gonna be hard to say that against obama when you have a person with a few years governing..who doesn't have any foreign exprience. Thanx John.

As for drilling...lol. How are you going to come to grips with mccain and anwar..and isn't a plank going to be no drilling in anwar?

she has 5 kids....she is all for drilling.

Scott Campbell
08-29-2008, 05:06 PM

Is that a photo chop?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-29-2008, 05:06 PM

she has 5 kids....she is all for drilling.

You've been a great audience!!!

Scott Campbell
08-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Bill is probably thinking "damn, why didn't I think of that - instead of Al".

BallHawk
08-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Bill is probably thinking "damn, why didn't I think of that - instead of Al".

And I'm sure the same thinking goes along with Monica, too.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Ty!... Bro!... WTF?

Maxie was joking!!!!

Maxie was joking some more!!!

Yeah. I'm older than hell, but how you know I'm white? And I got a right of free speech, don't I? "Diss" is standard English, ain't it?

I was talking HILLARY Clinton, bro :) . You remember, when she made that comment about Obama not being able to get the rural white vote? That was in the Midwest too -- Pennsylvania. (Yeah, rural Pennsylvania is the Midwest)

Damn your slow for a brother :) ! Didn't you watch the "24" series? The liberal elites, including Hollywood and the media, LOVE the idea of a black President. Plus, they can use the racism card. I just heard that a columnist in Newsweek (I think) wrote that if Obama loses in November it will prove that the country's racist.

Diss standard english? Only when white folks use it like "not diss, but dat."

Diss is african american vernacular. I love it when fox uses it, but then castigates other black vernacular/culture..hoes, bitches, etc.

BTW, why invoke free speech? Did ty tell you not to use it? This is the typical conservative switcheroo....next thing you'll be saying i was against your free speech. I said it was hilarious. Like watching Beatty in Bulfinger. When i think of you..i imagine the in the balcony, old muppets.

Hil: I don't think that was the race card. And, Penn is never the midwest. Sorry.

Black:Now you are basing logic off of TV shows. Oh, lord. And, no Ty doesn't watch 24. Ty is busy watching liberal elite tv shows...you know..opera, jewishy shows like seinfeld, or anything on Bravo.

The liberal elite...puhlease. Hollywood could care less about the color...why is it that you guys always bring up race. Hollywood wants liberals. Woman, man, black, white, brown, asian...liberals just want liberals.

Racism: What would be the point? That is like exclaiming sex sells.

Maxie the Taxi
08-29-2008, 05:20 PM
When i think of you..i imagine the in the balcony, old muppets.

I'm pissed now. Those muppet guys are whippersnappers!!!!!!!!

Tyrone Bigguns
08-29-2008, 05:47 PM
When i think of you..i imagine the in the balcony, old muppets.

I'm pissed now. Those muppet guys are whippersnappers!!!!!!!!

I know, i know. When you were a kid, you had to walk 5 miles uphill both ways thru the snow to school and home.

GoPackGo
08-29-2008, 05:56 PM

Is that a photo chop?

Its hard to be sure.

Scott Campbell
08-29-2008, 06:11 PM

Is that a photo chop?

Its hard to be sure.

:lol:

Harlan Huckleby
08-29-2008, 06:22 PM
But, there are many, including women who see this as a craven move for their vote.

it seems the whole point of a campaign is to attract votes, why would her appeal to certain voters be craven?

And that word "craven", it means cowardly. Sometimes people use it to mean under-handed, or cynical, just because it sounds right. i suppose that's how words get new meaning, from repeated misuse.

Zool
08-29-2008, 06:26 PM
But, there are many, including women who see this as a craven move for their vote.

it seems the whole point of a campaign is to attract votes, why would her appeal to certain voters be craven?

And that word "craven", it means cowardly. Sometimes people use it to mean under-handed, or cynical, just because it sounds right. i suppose that's how words get new meaning, from repeated misuse.

Irregardless of the usage of craven, pushing for the woman vote is smart. You dont think that the majority of blacks will go for Obama?

BallHawk
08-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Anybody checking out this chick on CNN right now? It's hilarious. Extreme Conservative is going psycho and failing.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Cowardly because he isn't going after them with anything other than chromosones.

BallHawk
08-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Pawlenty on CNN now. For a Republican, he's as good as they come. Pawlenty would of been the best pick all-around, IMO.

BallHawk
08-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Sarah Palin's Wikipedia must be getting hits like crazy. I'm sure politicians across the country are saying "I gotta be on TV in 15 minutes. Find out who the fuck Sarah Palin is."

Amusing.

TheCheese
08-29-2008, 08:05 PM
That's true, Newt Gingrich might be a Republican who could meet or beat Biden. Gingrich would be a good choice, except, don't McCain and Gingrich play checkers together out on the sidewalk cafe on sunny afternoons? I think McCain needs a VP or can sink a three-pointer like Obama.

Are you kidding me? Newt could meet or beat Biden? Have you ever seen Newt debate anyone 1 on 1? He would fucking demolish Biden, there is no doubt that Biden would be shitting his pants to go up against Newt in a political debate. The dude could debate an encyclopedia and win. I saw a debate of Newt against Pat Buchanan, who is a very knowledgeable and great debater, and Newt strait up dismantled him easily, you could tell how frustrated Pat was too.

But anyone would get their ass handed to them in a debate with him, wish Newt was our nom for the presidency, but alas, too good to be true.

HowardRoark
08-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Irregardless of the usage of craven, pushing for the woman vote is smart. You dont think that the majority of blacks will go for Obama?

People that say fustrating or supposively/supposubly...also irregardless

If you can't beat em, join em.....but my guess is you were being ironic.

LL2
08-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Palin is going to give McCain a nice boost in the polls in the next week. McCain and Palin are doing a cover for People magazine and Palin is going to steal a lot of thunder from Obama camp. If McCain and Palin win in a couple months Palin could become the next president in 4 years, and serve two terms.

swede
08-29-2008, 11:01 PM

I hate it when people say "anxious" when they mean a pleasant kind of anticipation.

E.g.: I'm anxious to start my vacation.

"irregardless" pisses me off also.

And what liberals don't get is that conservatives are excited about the grass roots, common sense, reform-based brand of conservatism that Sarah Palin seems to represent.

The fact that she is a woman is not surprising to people who actually honor women and their accomplishments rather than treat them like a consituency.

texaspackerbacker
08-30-2008, 12:15 AM

Is that a photo chop?

Its hard to be sure.

You must be dyslexic. Didn't you mean "it's sure to be hard"?

sheepshead
08-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Palin is going to give McCain a nice boost in the polls in the next week. McCain and Palin are doing a cover for People magazine and Palin is going to steal a lot of thunder from Obama camp. If McCain and Palin win in a couple months Palin could become the next president in 4 years, and serve two terms.

From FT.com:

Polls show that up to a third of Democrats who supported Mrs Clinton in the primaries planned to vote for Mr McCain even before Friday’s announcement.

Maybe my prediction of Barry winning 8-10 states is a little generous.

MJZiggy
08-30-2008, 08:01 AM
The issue that I'm having with this whole election is that it seems McCain isn't even really a part of it. There are people obsessively supporting Obama and people obsessively hating Obama. McCain just seems to be the alternative to Obama and doesn't have any hellfire support on his own that a presidential candidate usually draws. It seems as if should McCain get elected it will simply mean that more people disliked Obama than liked him.

sheepshead
08-30-2008, 08:13 AM
The issue that I'm having with this whole election is that it seems McCain isn't even really a part of it. There are people obsessively supporting Obama and people obsessively hating Obama. McCain just seems to be the alternative to Obama and doesn't have any hellfire support on his own that a presidential candidate usually draws. It seems as if should McCain get elected it will simply mean that more people disliked Obama than liked him.

There is some truth to that. I have seen his rise first hand from IL. He was promised so much money from the usual suspects locally then from Hollywood(seriously) that he had no choice but to run, he has been a product of slick production and media love ever since. Did NOTHING as a US Senator, I mean NOTHING. Thus, it is Barry's contest to win or loose. McCain is making his moves very wisely. The ads are effective as polls show. I havent been this excited about a ticket since Reagan-Bush.

John Kerry lost the election in 2004 during the debates in my view. John McCain will clean Barry's clock during the debates. We have seen Barry cannot function in that environment. Why do you think he has avoided debating McCain at every turn. (that disingenuous challenge on Thursday aside) McCain formally asked for 10 town hall meetings. He took 6 weeks to agree to 3 debates instead. What does that response alone tell us?

HowardRoark
08-30-2008, 08:21 AM
The issue that I'm having with this whole election is that it seems McCain isn't even really a part of it.

Why do think it seems this way?

He is basically tied with Obama so has just as much support. But yet it does seem as though he isn't really a part of it.

Interesting.

MJZiggy
08-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Like I said, It would appear that McCain is getting all that support from the people who are not so much pro McCain, but more anti-Obama. Just an observation.

SkinBasket
08-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Like I said, It would appear that McCain is getting all that support from the people who are not so much pro McCain, but more anti-Obama. Just an observation.

I think it has more to do with the kind of people who support McCain. Maybe they don't feel the need to be so vocal, or appear as trendy, or as self important, as a lot of Obama supporters. Or as angry, or outraged, or critical of Obama's shortcomings as those who really don't like him.

Strangely enough, when people know who they're voting for, sometimes they don't feel the need to say anything at all to justify that vote.

HowardRoark
08-30-2008, 08:55 AM

I think there are a few ways to look at this.

First, our main way of determing how things seem is from the God Damned media assholes.*

Second, I don't think McCain is getting a lot of anti-Obama vote (and if he is, it is probably statistically insignificant in national polls....although the elections alway come down to a couple dozen counties in the midwest...maybe it does matter).

Third, there is a lot of debate amongst Conservatives about McCain. It may seem as though his support from the base is not that strong. That would be a good observation.

Lastly, Skin is correct. The Right just doesn't act like the Left does (not that there's anything wrong with that).

A good place to check out polls etc.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/scoreboards/by_the_numbers2/by_the_numbers

*Tex

Maxie the Taxi
08-30-2008, 09:26 AM
The most cogent comment I've heard this election season is that Obama must be ahead by a few points going into the election because there will be a swing against him on election night due to racial backlash. It's the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about.

The rednecks I know down here in FL were actually talking about voting for Hillary. Now, they're cracking racial jokes about Obama and will vote McCain, esp. now that McCain has nominated a hottie beauty queen as his VP.

Who said American voters were not stupid. God help us.

sheepshead
08-30-2008, 09:56 AM
The most cogent comment I've heard this election season is that Obama must be ahead by a few points going into the election because there will be a swing against him on election night due to racial backlash. It's the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about.

The rednecks I know down here in FL were actually talking about voting for Hillary. Now, they're cracking racial jokes about Obama and will vote McCain, esp. now that McCain has nominated a hottie beauty queen as his VP.

That's a very accurate assessment. The color of his skin AND his resume. Some guys that have always voted for a dem will not tell the pollsters but will pull a different lever in Nov.

MJZiggy
08-30-2008, 09:57 AM
**Sidenote: Love the new avatar, Maxie!!

Maxie the Taxi
08-30-2008, 10:37 AM

Thanks. It was my soul bro, Tyrone, give me the idea.

mraynrand
08-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Thanks. It was my soul bro, Tyrone, give me the idea.

I never really cared all that much for the Muppet Show, but I did like the rapport between those two guys. Still feel sorry for Kermit after he was passed over for the role of 'Young Yoda' in Star Wars Episodes 1-3. Guess he's gone downhill, suffering from depression and alcohol abuse. Hopefully, someday we'll see him on a VH1 comeback special. Heigh Ho, Jedi Knight!

HowardRoark
08-30-2008, 12:17 PM

I much prefer the old one. It was perfect for him...old school Pack.

bobblehead
08-30-2008, 12:20 PM

That's a very accurate assessment. The color of his skin AND his resume. Some guys that have always voted for a dem will not tell the pollsters but will pull a different lever in Nov.

I disagree, we had a huge thread stating that rascists were all consevative and since they won't vote for a democrat it won't cost obama a single vote.

Freak Out
08-30-2008, 12:21 PM
If Mac and the Smile are elected at least the Dems in Congress will have an ally that does not have a problem raising taxes on the oil companies.

HowardRoark
08-30-2008, 12:32 PM
It actually has a name, The Wilder Effect:

Cut and Paste.........

New Research on the "Wilder effect"

Although many considered the poll an outlier when it was published nine days before the Virginia gubernatorial race in 1989, a Washington Post poll showing Lt. Gov. L. Douglas Wilder with a "commanding" lead was among those that spawned a generation of research on potential bias in public opinion surveys on contests between black and white candidates.

The poll showed Wilder, who is African American, with a 15-point advantage over Republican J. Marshall Coleman, a white candidate. On Election Day, Wilder squeaked by with a razor thin margin of under 1 percent to become the country's first black governor.

At the time of the Post poll, both campaigns put Wilder's final-stretch lead at about five percentage points, as reported alongside the Post's own poll.

Nonetheless, the "Wilder effect" - where whites overstate their support for black candidates - merged with the "Bradley effect" - where whites say they have no opinion when they really support a white candidate in match-ups between white and black candidates - in lore, casting doubts on the accuracy of polls in such contests.

Despite years of successes polling just such campaigns, the theory lingers. But a new analysis by Daniel Hopkins may yield a better understanding of the dynamics at play.

Hopkins shows how any "Wilder effect" that existed in the early 1990s has disappeared, countering the notion that there is a systematic bias in such polls. Instead, he argues that the effect that did exist resulted from the particularities of those earlier elections. Those dynamics could return in this year's election, but it is far too simplistic to assume a problem.

Hat top to Prof. Sides from the Monkey Cage.

mraynrand
08-30-2008, 12:36 PM
What happened to the Packerrat with the tag line reading "Polls are my life" Perhaps she can weigh in on this.

Harlan Huckleby
08-30-2008, 01:18 PM

it's an overwhelmingly Democratic year, the Bush admin is viewed as bad news, people want to throw the rascals (Republicans) out.

it's understandable that the election is centered on whether Obama meets qualifications to be pres.

not sure about the very latest pols, but Obama has been running well behind Democrats in general.

HowardRoark
08-30-2008, 01:28 PM
What happened to the Packerrat with the tag line reading "Polls are my life" Perhaps she can weigh in on this.

I've gort a few $20s burning a hole in my pocket, where is she?

Oh sorry, I thought you said "poles."

mraynrand
08-30-2008, 01:35 PM

I've got a few $20s burning a hole in my pocket, where is she?

Big Spender!

HowardRoark
08-30-2008, 01:37 PM

I've got a few $20s burning a hole in my pocket, where is she?

Big Spender!

I think it's double this week. All that Republican money in town.

mraynrand
08-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Michael Moore on the RNC:

“I was just thinking, this Gustav is proof that there is a God in heaven,” Moore said, laughing. “To have it planned at the same time – that it would actually be on its way to New Orleans for day one of the Republican Convention, up in the Twin Cities – at the top of the Mississippi River.”

Where to begin?
1) Moore believes in God now
2) Moore doesn't understand weather (a GoM hurricane might result in an increase in rain and clouds in Mpls. several days following landfall, but will do nothing much else there) (noe he may not have meant this at all, it's a bit of a stretch from the text, but with Moore, who knows?)
3) The top of the Mississippi isn't exactly at the Twin Cities (nitpick)
4) Moore is content to have the poor killed, just so long as it bollixes up the RNC. Isn't that sort of a Faustian bargain? - But that would require he believes in the devil too.
5) How do Moore, Obama, etc. continue to get away with blaming Katrina on the GOP? We all know who controled the state national guard. (Democrats) We all know who was in control of the city (Democrat). Neighboring states seemed to be able to respond and recover, even without a large chunk of the 168 billion thrown at problem.

BallHawk
08-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Michael Moore is a turd. Of course, people do take what he says and then apply it as the mindset of all Democrats. :roll:

BallHawk
08-30-2008, 01:59 PM
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/H/G/2/mccain-palin-anna-nicole.jpg

mraynrand
08-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Michael Moore is a turd. Of course, people do take what he says and then apply it as the mindset of all Democrats. :roll:

Well, when he is continually featured on a Cable news network as speaking for the Democrats, then you have to take your medicine. Who on the Democrat side denounces him?

mraynrand
08-30-2008, 02:20 PM
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/H/G/2/mccain-palin-anna-nicole.jpg

Isn't that about as offensive as the following:

http://www.stickithard.com/images/founding_nambla_LRG.gif

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-08/41713769.jpg

texaspackerbacker
08-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Both pictures just BEG a couple of left/right questions:

Where is the left hand of the person on the right?

And how does that relate to the big shit-eating grin on the person on the left?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-30-2008, 03:12 PM

I hate it when people say "anxious" when they mean a pleasant kind of anticipation.

E.g.: I'm anxious to start my vacation.

"irregardless" pisses me off also.

You should unpucker your asshole and learn something about the word anxious.

The #2 meaning is:

earnestly desirous; eager (usually fol. by an infinitive or for): anxious to please; anxious for our happiness.

Now, you can stop hating..and start learning.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Something about palin reminds me of peggy hill. Wonder if she makes a mean frito pie.

http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/king-peggy-hill6.jpg

http://politicalkudzu.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/sarah-palin-1.jpg

Brohm
08-30-2008, 03:56 PM
For some reason Tammy Faye Baker popped in my head when I first saw her.

LL2
08-30-2008, 04:18 PM
If Mac and the Smile are elected at least the Dems in Congress will have an ally that does not have a problem raising taxes on the oil companies.

From what I hear the Dems can't argue that the McCain ticket is in bed with Big Oil due to how she raised taxes on them and once did a "no show" at a meeting she was to have with a Big Oil exec.

I think if Palin plays her cards right she can show she has more executive experience than Obama has period....since hearing about her and doing some online research she seems like a smart cookie.

HowardRoark
08-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Michael Moore on the RNC:

“I was just thinking, this Gustav is proof that there is a God in heaven,” Moore said, laughing. “To have it planned at the same time – that it would actually be on its way to New Orleans for day one of the Republican Convention, up in the Twin Cities – at the top of the Mississippi River.”

Where to begin?
1) Moore believes in God now
2) Moore doesn't understand weather (a GoM hurricane might result in an increase in rain and clouds in Mpls. several days following landfall, but will do nothing much else there) (noe he may not have meant this at all, it's a bit of a stretch from the text, but with Moore, who knows?)
3) The top of the Mississippi isn't exactly at the Twin Cities (nitpick)
4) Moore is content to have the poor killed, just so long as it bollixes up the RNC. Isn't that sort of a Faustian bargain? - But that would require he believes in the devil too.
5) How do Moore, Obama, etc. continue to get away with blaming Katrina on the GOP? We all know who controled the state national guard. (Democrats) We all know who was in control of the city (Democrat). Neighboring states seemed to be able to respond and recover, even without a large chunk of the 168 billion thrown at problem.

More God fearing Democrats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrBus8ORR78

mraynrand
08-30-2008, 09:28 PM
A Palin pic that might offend Packer fans:

http://www.grizzlybay.org/SarahPalinVikings.jpg

mraynrand
08-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Palin on a hog:

http://www.palmerelks.org/images/wwp-photo2.jpg

mraynrand
08-30-2008, 09:38 PM
The Barracuda!

http://www.serendipit-e.com/blog/images/sarahheathstatebb1982_1.jpg

mraynrand
08-30-2008, 09:39 PM
http://4hillary.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/sarah-palin-vogue.jpg

mraynrand
08-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Guest starring on "What not to wear"

http://www.zieak.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/sarahpalincrop.jpg

mraynrand
08-30-2008, 09:45 PM
She beat out Bobby Jindal in a close vote

http://www.chugachpeaks.com/images/Blog/120801.JPG

mraynrand
08-30-2008, 09:47 PM
I can bring home the bacon, and fry it up in a pan

http://www.nelsonguirado.com/media/blogs/comiendo/sarahpalin.gif

mraynrand
08-31-2008, 11:43 AM
More God fearing Democrats:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrBus8ORR78

'God's on our side'

'Everything's cool'

mraynrand
08-31-2008, 11:54 AM
If you think about it, how would you compare Fowler and Spratt's outrageous comments with the Macaca comments of George Allen? Because of that comment, Allen was torpedoed and we have the 'Maccaca Congress' - with the Senate controlled by that useless piece of human trash, Harry Reid.

This is one of those moments where you really can say unequivocally: "Now we know your true colors"

BallHawk
08-31-2008, 11:57 AM
All I know is that George Allen is probably not the biggest fan of YouTube.

mraynrand
08-31-2008, 01:14 PM
All I know is that George Allen is probably not the biggest fan of YouTube.

I'm guessing most politicians have nightmares about YouTube.

HowardRoark
09-01-2008, 04:10 PM
The Putzs Who Were Thursday

http://www.nornc.org/

mraynrand
09-01-2008, 11:09 PM
The Putzs Who Were Thursday

http://www.nornc.org/

Strategy endorsed by:

ACTIVATE (Grand Rapids, MI Students for a Democratic Society - SDS)
Anarchist Black Cross Para-Legal Services (twitchon@hotmail.com)
Animas SDS (Colorado)
Anti-Authoritarians Anonymous (Milwaukee)
Asheville Rising Tide
Athens, OH SDS
Attentat Collective
Bash Back!
Brainerd Anarchists (georgewchrist@hushmail.com)
Campus Anti-war Network
Chicago Anarchist Black Cross (PO Box 1544, Chicago, IL 60690)
CrimethInc. Far East
Delaware SDS
End to Apathy
Frederick Progressive Action Coalition
HammerHard MediaWorks
Industrial Workers of the World - NYC GMB Branch
International Solidarity Movement - Chicago Chapter
Iowa Organizing Against the RNC
MKE to RNC
Milwaukee Anarchist Black Cross
Milwaukee Anti-Racist Action
NC State SDS
Northeast Anarchist Network
Northwest Indiana Anarchist Black Cross (PO Box 1511, Portage, IN 46368)
People’s Networking Convention Organizing Committee
Potomac Earth First!
Queer Action Network
Rising Tide North America
RNC Welcoming Committee
Rolling Thunder magazine
Sabot Infosquat
Shepherdstown Progressive Action Committee
Tacoma SDS - UPS Chapter
Talking Tree Infoshop
Tuscarora High SDS
UA Central NC
UA in the Bay
UCLA SDS
Unconventional Denver
----------------------------

Lots of people still living in their parent's basements, it seems.

cpk1994
09-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Guest starring on "What not to wear"

http://www.zieak.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/sarahpalincrop.jpgI'm guessing that picture wasn't taken at a PETA rally.

mraynrand
09-02-2008, 12:47 PM
It depends: It could have been PETA: for People Eating Tasty Animals

http://mtd.com/tasty/

mraynrand
09-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Harlan, page 9 has the pictures you want.

mraynrand
09-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Palin uses Secret Hair Power in AGIA talks

"Alaska Governess Sarah Palin's on-going plan to hypnotize oil company executives into submission by unpinning her hair and shaking it down around her shoulders is apparently working. At a recent press conference both big oil goons and administration officials were dazed and confused.

When the gas line talks get down to the nitty-gritty, it's rumored Palin will pull out her coup de grace, the whipping off of her glasses and biting seductively on the ear pieces. "

http://bp3.blogger.com/_alh8JTwprEw/RgoGgPYX03I/AAAAAAAAAVY/JHVZqNpT0Og/s400/agia_presser2.jpg

Scott Campbell
09-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Ingenious.