PDA

View Full Version : Greg Bedard assigns homework

Lurker64
08-22-2008, 06:25 PM
From his most recent chat:

edited.

So if anybody wants to submit their assignments electronically, feel free. I will note that backhanded complements such as "TT hasn't totally screwed up all his draft picks, because Jennings is pretty good" won't be appreciated. If you have something nice and something not so nice to say about Thompson, just say the nice thing. There are plenty of other threads to say the not-nice thing in (and a lot of people are far from shy about doing so.)

For extra credit, in case you found the first question too easy:

Say something nice about the way Brett Favre has handled the recent retirement/unretirement drama.

Come on, you can do it! (Again, no backhanded complements aimed at either Favre or Ted.)

RashanGary
08-22-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm not known as a Favre lover so I'll say something nice about him.

I think Favre thought he was entitled to make a decision whenever he felt like it so he wasn't purposely screwing anyone around but just doing what he felt like doing. He thought it was fine and everyone would just be doing backflips at the thought of having him back.

mraynrand
08-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Ted Thompson doesn't beat his wife anymore.

LEWCWA
08-22-2008, 06:44 PM
I like your premise---GOOD LUCK :P :!:

LEWCWA
08-22-2008, 06:45 PM

I think Favre thought he was entitled to make a decision whenever he felt like it so he wasn't purposely screwing anyone around but just doing what he felt like doing. He thought it was fine and everyone would just be doing backflips at the thought of having him back.

piss poor effort---D-

LEWCWA
08-22-2008, 06:45 PM

Same---D-

RashanGary
08-22-2008, 06:46 PM

piss poor effort---D-

What was wrong with mine?

LEWCWA
08-22-2008, 06:49 PM

piss poor effort---D-

What was wrong with mine?

I think you know---part of the instructions-no backhanded compliments. Nice try though

LEWCWA
08-22-2008, 06:50 PM
My take on Thompson--I think he has done a great job building this team. I don't or didn't agree with some of the things he has done, but all in all this team is in great shape!

mraynrand
08-22-2008, 06:51 PM

Same---D-

OK, it was just a joke. I couldn't pass it up. I like Ted Thompson. I like the idea of stockpiling picks because NO MATTER WHERE you pick, the success rate (finding an effective starter) is about the same - somewhere around 30%. So the more picks the better. Rodgers hasn't started yet. If he's playing well by the end of next year, and plays well for some years to come and/or some other QB TT brings in does the same instead of Rodgers, he will have proven himself a very good GM. Of course to be great, he has to win it all. The jury is still out.

mraynrand
08-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Ted Thompson has built solid depth across the roster. That shows up in a team that is playing hard into December and it shows up in spades on special teams. McCarthy looks to be a very good pick as coach. Very good GM job so far.

RashanGary
08-22-2008, 06:56 PM
I guess I can't give Favre a compliment in regard to how he handled his retirement then. I understand his stance because he fell into the trap that he was better than everyone and was entitled to do whatever he pleased. IT's arrogant and sort of disgusting on the outside, but deep down I think anyone would feel that way if they got Brett Favre idol treatment daily. It's human. My compliment was that as bad as it looked, he is just a person that is no worse or better than any of us, just shaped by different experiences. I'm glad it wasn't tolerated, but I don't hate him for it at all.

I think it's a sincere and honest compliment that explains the bad behavior in a postive, understandable light.

mraynrand
08-22-2008, 06:58 PM
he is just a person that is no worse or better than any of us

http://images.elfwood.com/art/r/o/robinos/scream.jpg

RashanGary
08-22-2008, 06:58 PM
That guy looks evil. Who is that?

Lurker64
08-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Here are my answers, no cheating off my sheet!

Ted:

I think Thompson has done an excellent, excellent job at scouting the guys at the bottom of the draft and on other team's rosters. Guys like Bigby, Grant, Tramon Williams, Ruvell Martin, and Donald Lee were all cuts or guys that were near the bottom of the depth chart on other teams that Thompson picked up that have a real chance to make a significant impact on the Packers going forward. Moreover, his sixth round in 2007 was one of the most impressive late rounds I've ever seen in all my years of paying attention to the NFL draft. The roster is overall much deeper, and that definitely shows in the improvements this squad has made in special teams since Ted took over. Thompson also appears to have quite the eye at drafing WRs, which are historically one of the trickiest positions to draft (Detroit Lions, anybody?) McCarthy was a good (and surprising) pick at head coach.

Brett:

I think that Favre wasn't malicious at all during this saga, I think simply the lines of communication were poor between the two sides and everybody said some things that they probably regret. I give Brett a tremendous amount of credit for not wanting Packer camp to be a zoo, and making the right decision once actual and good communication between Favre and McCarthy took place and both sides actually took steps to understand each other. Favre gets credit for realizing the potential damage he could have done to the 2008 Packers and being a team player in the end. I'm also impressed with how he hasn't said anything negative about the Packers or Packers management since leaving, which is telling considering the numerous opportunities he had to do so, and the fact that Favre likely didn't get what he wanted out of this. In the end, he's a good sport and a good team player.

mraynrand
08-22-2008, 07:00 PM
google images, enter scream + frustration

http://mirrormirror.typepad.com/mirror_mirror/WindowsLiveWriter/ThoughtsonAmericanLifeanOccasionalSeries_F5A2/munch_scream%5B1%5D_1.jpg

RashanGary
08-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Wow, that was impressive Lurker. Ultimately, I think this really humbled Favre and made him a better person. I'm also very impressed with him not making it messier than it had to be after his conversation with McCarthy.

mraynrand
08-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Brett:

I think that Favre wasn't malicious at all during this saga

I thought this was a TT thread. Anyway, I have to disagree with you a bit here. Calling TT a liar on 'Greta' and saying he wanted to be traded in the division to be given a chance to play against the Pack (and later suggesting there was a vindictive element to it), were borderline malicious.

RashanGary
08-22-2008, 07:08 PM
:) good point, mrayn. It was certainly impressively positive, but lacking a bit in reality from point to point.

LEWCWA
08-22-2008, 07:10 PM

Ted:

I think Thompson has done an excellent, excellent job at scouting the guys at the bottom of the draft and on other team's rosters. Guys like Bigby, Grant, Tramon Williams, Ruvell Martin, and Donald Lee were all cuts or guys that were near the bottom of the depth chart on other teams that Thompson picked up that have a real chance to make a significant impact on the Packers going forward. Moreover, his sixth round in 2007 was one of the most impressive late rounds I've ever seen in all my years of paying attention to the NFL draft. The roster is overall much deeper, and that definitely shows in the improvements this squad has made in special teams since Ted took over. Thompson also appears to have quite the eye at drafing WRs, which are historically one of the trickiest positions to draft (Detroit Lions, anybody?) McCarthy was a good (and surprising) pick at head coach.

Brett:

I think that Favre wasn't malicious at all during this saga, I think simply the lines of communication were poor between the two sides and everybody said some things that they probably regret. I give Brett a tremendous amount of credit for not wanting Packer camp to be a zoo, and making the right decision once actual and good communication between Favre and McCarthy took place and both sides actually took steps to understand each other. Favre gets credit for realizing the potential damage he could have done to the 2008 Packers and being a team player in the end. I'm also impressed with how he hasn't said anything negative about the Packers or Packers management since leaving, which is telling considering the numerous opportunities he had to do so, and the fact that Favre likely didn't get what he wanted out of this. In the end, he's a good sport and a good team player.

Now that is A work!

LEWCWA
08-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Brett:

I think that Favre wasn't malicious at all during this saga

I thought this was a TT thread. Anyway, I have to disagree with you a bit here. Calling TT a liar on 'Greta' and saying he wanted to be traded in the division to be given a chance to play against the Pack (and later suggesting there was a vindictive element to it), were borderline malicious.

I would say human. I would want the chance to play against the team that didn't want me also.

Lurker64
08-22-2008, 07:15 PM

The extra credit was to say something nice about Brett, since there is certainly a group of folks here that has no trouble whatsoever praising Thompson, but might struggle to say nice things about Favre (at least, now).

About his visit on Greta, I believe that this is more of "Favre shooting from the hip" and "Favre being emotional" than "Favre being calculating in an attempt to damage the Packers or discredit the Packers management." At least, that's what I meant when I said "not malicious." Anybody who has watched Favre over the past 16 years knows he doesn't always think things all the way through on the football field (not an attempt to slam him, I'm just noting a fact), and it doesn't take a huge leap of imagination to see him as behaving similarly off the field.

I think if Favre was pressed on it, it will come to light in retrospect that he would rather had not said those things to Greta, they were simply motivated by the emotion of the moment. Similarly to how, if Favre was pressed on it, he would admit that in retrospect he would rather have not thrown that ball into triple coverage. I see it as the same sort of thing. Sometimes in the heat of the moment, you just do dumb things.

motife
08-22-2008, 07:26 PM
http://users.adelphia.net/~moonshadao/larry.jpg

"We KNOW this is your homework, Larry."

http://thugbot.net/features/lebowski/img/29.jpg

Partial
08-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Ted put together a great team last year. With that said, its always a good position to be in to be forced to cut a good player to make 53. That is a sign of a GM being at least adequate.

Brett has handled the change of scenario like a true gentlemen that he is, being nothing but a class act to the organization in interviews.

RashanGary
08-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Ted put together a great team last year. With that said, its always a good position to be in to be forced to cut a good player to make 53. That is a sign of a GM being at least adequate.

Brett has handled the change of scenario like a true gentlemen that he is, being nothing but a class act to the organization in interviews.

Wow. I'm impressed with your lack of idiocy.

Lurker64
08-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Wow. I'm impressed with your lack of idiocy.

Umm... Justin... this is at its core a "Be nice to someone you might normally disagree with" thread. Please take a hint.

RashanGary
08-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Sorry, couple-a-beers in here.

MJZiggy
08-22-2008, 09:32 PM
I don't understand why this should be difficult for people even if the end of the story was a bit messy:

TT came here and took a team of aging and expensive vets and retooled and rebuilt it into a solid young team with a whole lot of talent on it and he brought us a really good coach to make the talent into a team.

Favre was the face of this franchise through 16 years, through the death of his father, through injury and all the rest we already know about, and even though he wasn't always the model citizen in his younger, wilder days, he did understand the difference he wanted to make with his fame and has been setting an example with his charity for years. The time he's spending in the wrong shade of green does not diminish the impact he has had on the Packers over the years. When all is said and done, folks will forget all about Brett the Jet and remember the Packer that he always will be.

mraynrand
08-22-2008, 10:04 PM
When all is said and done, folks will forget all about Brett the Jet and remember the Packer that he always will be.

Unless he wins two superbowls with the Jets and goes into the hall AS a Jet, to spite the Pack.

MJZiggy
08-22-2008, 10:07 PM
If he tried to go in as a Jet, they'd likely rescind the offer. In all seriousness, let's consider the odds of that happening in a division with the Pats...

Zool
08-22-2008, 10:11 PM

Except that during his presser with the Jets he stated matter of factly that he wanted to go to the Vikings and that he was "being vindictive". Look I don't hold a grudge or anything, but he wasn't a saint in this ho-down. He was just as guilty of being a D-bag.

mraynrand
08-22-2008, 10:25 PM
If he tried to go in as a Jet, they'd likely rescind the offer. In all seriousness, let's consider the odds of that happening in a division with the Pats...

I didn't say I thought it likely - but if he did win 'em and he still held a grudge....

Partial
08-23-2008, 12:26 AM

Except that during his presser with the Jets he stated matter of factly that he wanted to go to the Vikings and that he was "being vindictive". Look I don't hold a grudge or anything, but he wasn't a saint in this ho-down. He was just as guilty of being a D-bag.

As a competitor, I can 100% understand his desire to beat the team who didn't want him. I have absolutely 0 problems with that. Who wouldn't want to show them up? It's human nature.

Zool
08-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Human nature yes, classy no.

cpk1994
08-23-2008, 11:04 AM
When all is said and done, folks will forget all about Brett the Jet and remember the Packer that he always will be.

Unless he wins two superbowls with the Jets and goes into the hall AS a Jet, to spite the Pack.Once again, Brett goes into the hall as HIMSELF. Not as a Jet. Not as a Packer. Just himself. Baseball is the one that has you choose a team to go into the hall as. That said:

I can't in good consience say anything nice about Favre. I will leave that one alone. TT has done a good job of cleaing the steaming pantload of a mess that Sherman left behind and has buit a team with a solid foundation that will be competitive for years to come, while doing things his way regardless of how many Packer fans he pisses off.

SnakeLH2006
08-24-2008, 06:07 AM

TT never has had a wife being alternative (and for real, check Wikipedia) but has has many young boys in his basement wishing to follow in their pseudo-dad's footsteps aka just some Stockholm syndrome...but.... (if they could just muster the strength to bust through that reinforced concrete basement wall.)

SnakeLH2006
08-24-2008, 06:30 AM
:lol:

GrnBay007
08-24-2008, 07:49 AM
:lol:

oh boy...

Merlin
08-24-2008, 06:52 PM

News to most people, provide link to quote please...

Zool
08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
"I was never not interested in the Jets," said Favre, sitting between owner Woody Johnson and GM Mike Tannenbaum at a makeshift dais. "My interest at first ... was to stay within the division. Maybe that was my vindictive nature, my competitive nature. In the end, that was the wrong motivation."

Lurker64
08-24-2008, 08:31 PM
You all aren't getting very good grades on this assignment, so far...

MJZiggy
08-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Hey!! Some of us actually rose to this challenge... :!:

Partial
08-24-2008, 10:32 PM
TT is a good southern boy. I can dig that.

bobblehead
08-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Favre delivered 15 of 16 non losing seasons for us and put green bay back on the map all the while providing a very positive face for the franchise. He called out selfish players and gave it 100% on the field every step of the way....no other franchise can take that away from us. If he had trouble hanging it up when his time came he is no worse than Ali, Holyfield, Montana, Marino or several other greats.

This is no different than what I said many times while supporting MM and TT in what they felt they had to do.