PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Christl Friday OTA camp blog

motife
06-17-2006, 03:44 AM
FRIDAY, June 16, 2006, 3:10 p.m.

Another bad day for Rodgers
Backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers might look better than he did as a rookie, but he has been spotty at best in the 11 OTA practices held so far. Once again on Friday, he failed to move the offense in a two-minute drill. With Brett Favre absent, Rodgers ran the No. 1 offense and threw an interception on his fourth pass. The pass was picked off by cornerback Ahmad Carroll, who was in zone coverage and made a leaping catch inside the hash-marks. It was Carroll’s third interception in the OTAs. Rodgers was 1-of-4 in the two-minute drill, his lone completion a 3-yard pass to running back Noah Herron. Rookie quarterback Ingle Martin also was intercepted on his fourth pass at his turn in the two-minute drill. He threw an out to wide receiver Ruvell Martin that was intercepted by cornerback Jerron Wishom. It was Wishom’s second interception of the OTAs. Ingle Martin was 2-of-4 in the drill with two short completions to running back Samkon Gado and tight end Donald Lee.

Rodgers didn’t fare much better in the 7-on-7 period. He was 2-of-6, although rookie receiver Calvin Russell could have scooped a low pass for another reception. In the 7-on-7 red zone period, Rodgers was 2-of-4.

First-round draft pick A.J. Hawk’s athletic ability is apparent at times, coming off the edge, closing to the ball, etc. But if there is such a thing as a “Welcome to the NFL Moment’à¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ in a non-contact, voluntary practice in June, Hawk experienced one on a reverse in the first team session. Right tackle Mark Tauscher locked onto Hawk and ran him halfway across the field. If the truth be told, Hawk still hasn’t shed the block.

With a strong wind at their backs, Dave Rayner was 2-of-3 and Billy Cundiff, 2-of-4, in a field goal drill. Rayner connected from 58 and 46 yards, and missed from 53. Cundiff was good from 53 and 46, and missed twice from 58. On one of Cundiff’s misses, he hit the left crossbar.

Punters Jon Ryan and B.J. Sander did all the holding, but coach Mike McCarthy said the quarterbacks were still in the mix as holder candidates.

With Chris White observing practice with a shoulder injury, Pete Traynor worked at center and Wayne Lucier at left guard with the No. 2 offense. Lucier played two years with the New York Giants. Traynor is a former Arena2 and NFL Europe player. Both players are guards/centers.

Herron dropped another easy pass that was right in his mitts in the 7-on-7 red-zone session. … Ruvell Martin also had a drop in 7-on-7.

Former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon spent about 45 minutes talking to the Packers’ young quarterbacks in a meeting Friday morning and also did some tutoring on the field. Gannon played under McCarthy at Kansas City from 1995-’98 and is scheduled to work the Packers’ local pre-season broadcasts as an announcer.

The Packers’ offensive and defensive linemen are doing more conditioning work than in recent years and probably less one-on-one pass blocking and pass rushing. Twice a week, the linemen finish practice by running wind sprints. The other two days, they do one-on-ones.

Rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings missed practice. Free agent linebacker Tim Goodwell returned to practice.

Fritz
06-17-2006, 06:22 AM
God we must be desperate for news. How's Tony Moll's lower body strength? Does anybody think that Jerrod Wishom has stiff hips? Holy cow.

Noodle
06-17-2006, 08:42 AM
What's even sadder is that I'm eating this stuff up and can't get enough.

As to the offensive woes, isn't it the case that the D is supposed to be in front of the O at this point? And, doesn't the D have an even bigger advantage in that they've seen the same plays over and over and can likely anticipate pretty well what's coming?

Polaris
06-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Have you ever noticed that Christl doesn't even comment on the quarterback play unless Rodgers has a bad day?

I mean, Christl was there Monday and Tuesday, but no info on the play of either Favre or Rodgers. But Rodgers didn't have a good day Friday and Christl's all over it.

I know that Christl is a big fan of Favre and I'm at the point where I'm starting to take anything he has to say about the QB position with a huge grain of salt.

RashanGary
06-17-2006, 09:40 AM
I love these reports too. I know they aren't even close to as important as a pads practice or pre-season game but they are the closest thing to progress we have for the next month or so.

Carroll is everyones favorite little whipping boy. The guy just keeps getting better and now is even holding on to INT's and defending passes at a high rate. I havn't heard anything about his hands being a problem this camp yet many refuse to acknowledge he has been showing the makings of a good NFL player. Like Wist with Barnett, some will never like him. That is just the way it is. I don't love Barnett, but he's not a player you try to get rid of. He's a good NFL starter and Carroll looks to be working his way to that status as well.

woodbuck27
06-17-2006, 09:58 AM
"I know that Christl is a big fan of Favre and I'm at the point where I'm starting to take anything he has to say about the QB position with a huge grain of salt." Polaris

Being a huge fan of Favre's isn't going to cut it soon, as we may all be experiencing his final season.

We are caught up in a catch-22 with Brett. Either he does or doesn't have a successful season, and in both cases Brett Favre may indeed retire, and what are we really seeing behind him but. . . IMO - little to give us any real optimism.

Between this and next off season, TT has to give serious consideration to the QB position. I feel we need a Vet. QB in FA, if Favre does indeed retire , because drafting one next April in the early rounds will not cut it.

falco
06-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Have you ever noticed that Christl doesn't even comment on the quarterback play unless Rodgers has a bad day?

I mean, Christl was there Monday and Tuesday, but no info on the play of either Favre or Rodgers. But Rodgers didn't have a good day Friday and Christl's all over it.

I know that Christl is a big fan of Favre and I'm at the point where I'm starting to take anything he has to say about the QB position with a huge grain of salt.

During the minicamps Christl had quite a few positive comments, about how Rodgers started out slow but ended most practices really dead on.