Thompson DE - saw nothing special
Williams - burnt for a TD, gave up some key first downs
Lee - gambled for a pick, WR caught it for a TD
DL - struggled with the run all night
Lansanah - late hit on QB 15y penalty, He had some good reads and tackles
Brohm - Rex Grossman clone

LL2
08-23-2008, 07:51 AM
The defense was a big loser. They said they are experimenting and were not game planning like they would for a regular season game, but the have been horrible the past two games. We can have a season where the offense has to put up more points that the defense gives up.

pittstang5
08-23-2008, 08:35 AM
I'd add Brohm to the losers list.

RashanGary
08-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Very impressive outing by Rodgers. He made good decisions very quickly and then threw the ball with good velocity and accuracy.

Partial
08-23-2008, 09:18 AM
It's looking like my guy Money Morency might be taking a hike. Sad day.

RashanGary
08-23-2008, 09:20 AM

Deshawn Wynn too :cry:

pbmax
08-23-2008, 09:25 AM
My fear about a Herron or Morency -less backfield is that there is no sure fire thing back there to block and be the third down back. We would really be relying on Jackson to get over that hump again after the trouble he had against the Bengals.

RashanGary
08-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Brandon Jackson and Lumpkin both ran hard and broke tackles. The times Jackson did get the ball he showed strength and power that I didn't know he had. He just seems incredibly durable too. After a hard run he just hops up like he didn't feel a thing. I think he's going to be a hell of a change of pace to Grant.

And Lumpkin seems like he could be this years hidden gem. It would be great if we ended up with 3 RB's that could carry the load if needed when last year we didn't even know if we had one.

RashanGary
08-23-2008, 09:35 AM
My fear about a Herron or Morency -less backfield is that there is no sure fire thing back there to block and be the third down back. We would really be relying on Jackson to get over that hump again after the trouble he had against the Bengals.

Maybe they keep 4 RB's and only one FB. I think they might have to keep Lumpkin on the roster or some team that is thin (like we were last year) will scoop him up. If they keep 4 RB's, they could train Lumpkin and Humphrey as backup FB's and then keep Herron as the 3rd down back. Herron lacks talent, but he is damn reliable and could be a very comforting part of the offense for Rodgers on 3rd down (similar to Faulk in NE).

ahaha
08-23-2008, 09:40 AM

Why would you say that? I think he's locked down the 'third down back' spot. He's also pretty good on special teams.

RashanGary
08-23-2008, 09:41 AM

Why would you say that? I think he's locked down the 'third down back' spot. He's also pretty good on special teams.

I don't know about that. Beatle Juice easily could be out of the league in a week or two.

ahaha
08-23-2008, 10:03 AM

I don't know about that. Beatle Juice easily could be out of the league in a week or two.

Who's going to beat him out?
Herron? Doubful. Morency edges him on special teams play, and is every bit as reliable on 'third down' plays. He's also more athletic.
Lumpkin? I just can't see the Packers sacrificing their 'third down' play just to keep this guy on the roster. He's been good, against scrubs, but not great. Has he done anything on special teams?
If anything, they'll just keep an extra back. No way they get rid of Morency.

Maxie the Taxi
08-23-2008, 10:14 AM

Maybe they keep 4 RB's and only one FB. I think they might have to keep Lumpkin on the roster or some team that is thin (like we were last year) will scoop him up. If they keep 4 RB's, they could train Lumpkin and Humphrey as backup FB's and then keep Herron as the 3rd down back. Herron lacks talent, but he is damn reliable and could be a very comforting part of the offense for Rodgers on 3rd down (similar to Faulk in NE).

Good to see you're coming around to my point of view, JH. Only I see Lumpy as our 1st string FB.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Hunter looked good, but I'll believe he's real when he does it against first string O linemen.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Lansanah - late hit on QB 15y penalty, He had some good reads and tackles

That was a HORRBLE penalty, but you know what, that guy has NFL talent. HE flys. They sure are overflowing with LB's this year.

Maxie the Taxi
08-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Did anyone else notice our defense guys reverting back to the rolling block as a substitute for tackling? Pitiful. I thought one thing our guys did good last year, especially early, was tackle. Last night tackling in general sucked.

This week M3 is gonna have to include "wrapping up" along with his usual sermon on fundamentals to the troops about "pad level" and "leverage."

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Did anyone else notice our defense guys reverting back to the rolling block as a substitute for tackling? Pitiful.

Tackling in the NFL is pitiful on the whole. I don't know why, but you don't have players who hit and wrap up anymore like in the "good old days."

Could it be because running backs are just so much more powerful runners today?? rarely do you see a defensive back, or even a linebacker, make a form tackle anymore. Only the defensive linemen tackle old-school.

Maxie the Taxi
08-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Did anyone else notice our defense guys reverting back to the rolling block as a substitute for tackling? Pitiful.

Tackling in the NFL is pitiful on the whole. I don't know why, but you don't have players who hit and wrap up anymore like in the "good old days."

Could it be because running backs are just so much more powerful runners today?? rarely do you see a defensive back, or even a linebacker, make a form tackle anymore. Only the defensive linemen tackle old-school.

I think it's coaching, and probably coaching from Pop Warner on up.

Yeah, runners are more powerful, but then everyone is, including DB's and LB's. I just don't believe keeping your head up and your eyes open and using your hands and arms is Old School. I think it's just something the coaches can't do a whole lot about, especially in the NFL. They might harp on it, but old habits die hard.

Runners, even powerful ones, still have to keep their balance and stay on their feet. The thing is even guys nowadays who use the rolling block don't keep their eyes open and they whiff.

Watch film of Willie Wood, the guy who virtually invented the rolling block. He's probably one of the best tacklers in history. He'd bring down Jim Brown with the same technique he used on Gale Sayers. Of course, Willie is paying for it now, but I don't know if the two are cause and effect. If so, hot shot millionaire DB's and LB's nowadays aren't willing to pay that price.
The thing is

Guiness
08-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Can we put Ryan in the winners?

Three punts for a 60yd average, including one that was downed at the 1. And he seems to have won the holder's job.

3irty1
08-23-2008, 11:46 AM

Three punts for a 60yd average, including one that was downed at the 1. And he seems to have won the holder's job.

Hell yes we should. Nobody ever remembers his good performances. I became a Jon Ryan fan when he had that big run last year on a broken down play that got us a first down.

Guiness
08-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Where does BJack fall? Not in the winners or losers?

His line doesn't look good - 8 rushes for 19yds. But when you break it out, he had rushes of 2, 7, 4, 2, 6 and an 18 yd reception. He also had a -2yd rush, and got stuffed twice in a row at the 1. So what's up? He may be ok, but it doesn't seem like he's the bill of goods the Pack was selling us when Grant was unsigned.

Guiness
08-23-2008, 11:55 AM

Hell yes we should. Nobody ever remembers his good performances. I became a Jon Ryan fan when he had that big run last year on a broken down play that got us a first down.

That was probably my favorite play last year. I couldn't find a video of it, but this is hilarious

Al Harris: Crazy Canadians

Partial
08-23-2008, 12:13 PM

Deshawn Wynn too :cry:

That's because Wynn sucks. Money Morency is gonna go on to be a 1500 yard rusher :lol:

bobblehead
08-23-2008, 01:15 PM

Who's going to beat him out?
Herron? Doubful. Morency edges him on special teams play, and is every bit as reliable on 'third down' plays. He's also more athletic.
Lumpkin? I just can't see the Packers sacrificing their 'third down' play just to keep this guy on the roster. He's been good, against scrubs, but not great. Has he done anything on special teams?
If anything, they'll just keep an extra back. No way they get rid of Morency.
I usually back you JH, but on this one I don't think you are right. morency is that guy who no one talks about because he simply is going out and doing everything right...he sticks, no doubt in my mind. They would have to be REALLY high on lumpking to cut morency.

bobblehead
08-23-2008, 01:22 PM

I think its size and strength issues. Proper form tackling is very hard on the shoulders and arms if the RB shifts his direction even a little, its easy to get hurt now days with LB's getting down to 230lbs (for speed) and RBs getting up to 220lbs...not like yesteryear when it was more like 250 vs. 205.

Maxie the Taxi
08-23-2008, 01:57 PM

I think its size and strength issues. Proper form tackling is very hard on the shoulders and arms if the RB shifts his direction even a little, its easy to get hurt now days with LB's getting down to 230lbs (for speed) and RBs getting up to 220lbs...not like yesteryear when it was more like 250 vs. 205.

I still don't buy it. Like I said, Willie Wood was an excellent tackler even of big men and Willie was no hulk. Keep in mind I'm not talking about "punishing" the runner with a "big hit." I'm talking about simply getting the runner's knee on the ground. Willie would rarely "level" a guy, he'd mostly knock him off balance by knocking his pins out from under him with a shoulder pad or arm. He'd do it by keeping his head up and his eyes open.

The emphasis today is on the "hit" or the "money shot." A "big hitter" is in big demand today and so every defensive back tries to make a name for himself as a hitman. Look at Desmond Bishop and Pat Lee last night. They level a guy and the crowd goes nuts. Bishop makes a point of dancing around afterwards so we all notice what he just did.

Nitschke was a big hitter, no doubt. But he made plays like Bishop's or Lee's not on purpose but by accident. Nitschke was a great tackler first and a hitter second. Once he got his paws on you, you went down. Not many whiffs in his resume.

retailguy
08-23-2008, 02:08 PM
I forgot to set my DVR to record the game.... Sounds like it went pretty well overall. GOOD to see the line and Rodgers back with solid performances.

Could someone tell me what was wrong with the DEFENSE? Someone in this thread said they didn't play well...

Are they rebroadcasting the game on NFL network besides last night?

Maxie the Taxi
08-23-2008, 02:37 PM
I forgot to set my DVR to record the game.... Sounds like it went pretty well overall. GOOD to see the line and Rodgers back with solid performances.

Could someone tell me what was wrong with the DEFENSE? Someone in this thread said they didn't play well...

PB or KY could tell you from a more technical standpoint. From my point of view the DL got no push and as a result QB had a lot of time making DB's look bad. Some of the DB's did play bad, Pat Lee and Tramon Williams for two. Plus, tackling was awful. Barnett missed a few and so did many others. Third down defense sucked.

From McCarthy's post-game news conference:

(Were you surprised at your inability to get off the field on third downs?)
The big drive was disappointing. The strength of our defense has always been third down. We weren't as sharp tonight as we have been, and we need to tackle better. That's two weeks in a row. The run defense was not as productive as it has been, but getting off the field on third down, that's the strength of our defense. We're better than we showed on that particular drive, and we'll take full advantage of it and learn from it.

Also, Pickett and Hawk didn't play, so run defense suffered. The middle of the D was like a sieve.

The Gunshooter
08-23-2008, 03:24 PM

No Pickett or Hawk so Denver was gashing them up the middle on the ground.

RashanGary
08-23-2008, 04:00 PM
The run defense was awfull. The DL is a problem area on this team.

pbmax
08-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Poor tackling overall, esp. by linebackers, made good gains great for Denver RBs. Even guys who bring the lumber in the secondary were diving to trip runners up and not bringing their man down and, of course, taking themselves out of the play.

Jolly and Cole were maybe average to below average with the ones. Cole actually had a couple of penetrations but he gets completely leveled by a double team. Jenkins, then Kampman had the best games on the line. Jenkins makes a good run defender on the end on first and second down. he is not as good in the middle with run D, but he doesn't play as soft as Cole.

But while the first defense was in, they rotated DTs to Muir and Malone it went from average to ugly.

One thing you should not get caught up in. Hunter was rushing from KGBs spot at the right end. In the first half he went nowhere and took himself out of position upfield. He didn't make hay until the second half when he got to Ramsey and forced the INT, but that was after the Broncos went to the backups.

falco
08-23-2008, 08:04 PM
williams didn't play that poorly

i thought his interference call was iffy
the next play he had good coverage, but marshall made a nice play

i like his physical style of play, i'd prefer he gets interference for being too physical on a play instead of because he has to grab a guy to make up for a blown coverage

oregonpackfan
08-23-2008, 08:26 PM

I still don't buy it. Like I said, Willie Wood was an excellent tackler even of big men and Willie was no hulk. Keep in mind I'm not talking about "punishing" the runner with a "big hit." I'm talking about simply getting the runner's knee on the ground. Willie would rarely "level" a guy, he'd mostly knock him off balance by knocking his pins out from under him with a shoulder pad or arm. He'd do it by keeping his head up and his eyes open.

The emphasis today is on the "hit" or the "money shot." A "big hitter" is in big demand today and so every defensive back tries to make a name for himself as a hitman. Look at Desmond Bishop and Pat Lee last night. They level a guy and the crowd goes nuts. Bishop makes a point of dancing around afterwards so we all notice what he just did.

Nitschke was a big hitter, no doubt. But he made plays like Bishop's or Lee's not on purpose but by accident. Nitschke was a great tackler first and a hitter second. Once he got his paws on you, you went down. Not many whiffs in his resume.

After Mike Ditka retired from the NFL as a player, I remember him saying that Willie Wood produced the hardest hits of any tackler in the NFL. He claimed that against the Packers he sometimes dropped easy passes because he was distracted by the thought of a possible hit he might be receiving from Willie Wood.

gbgary
08-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Brohm - Rex Grossman clone

give him a couple of years before you tag him with that. :D

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2008, 11:34 PM
We're going to go through this again. Without Rodgers playing much, I wouldn't expect us to be all that competitive. Oh well. Should be good practice for some of the backups.

Titans to play it out: Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher said he will play his starters at least one series into the third quarter Thursday night in Green Bay.

Joemailman
08-23-2008, 11:45 PM
MM sounded the other day like he's frustrated with the way Fisher keeps his guys in. I can't blame him. A little hard to evaluate the QB's when they have no time to throw because the Titan starting DL is dominating the Packers reserves.

HarveyWallbangers
08-23-2008, 11:48 PM
MM sounded the other day like he's frustrated with the way Fisher keeps his guys in. I can't blame him. A little hard to evaluate the QB's when they have no time to throw because the Titan starting DL is dominating the Packers reserves.

It is tough. If this is the case, I wonder why the Packers keep scheduling the Titans for that 4th preseason game. You'd think the Titans would prefer to play another team that keeps their starters in longer.

Rastak
08-23-2008, 11:49 PM

Then keep the starters in. That's about the only counter.

Rastak
08-23-2008, 11:49 PM

It is tough. If this is the case, I wonder why the Packers keep scheduling the Titans for that 4th preseason game. You'd think the Titans would prefer to play another team that keeps their starters in longer.

I think the NFL does the scheduling. The Packers probably don't have a choice.

Brohm
08-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Hit people REALLY hard. Starters will start coming out :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2008, 12:03 AM
I think the NFL does the scheduling. The Packers probably don't have a choice.

Are you sure? I always thought preseason games were decided by the teams. Kind of like the non-conference schedule in college. Why else would we get Tennessee vs. Green Bay in back-to-back years?

Joemailman
08-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Given the Packers injury situation, I'm sure keeping the starters in longer is the last thing MM wants to do. I think the Packers should tell Fisher to schedule someone else if they want to play their starters that much in the last preseason game.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2008, 12:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_exhibition_season

Since 2002, individual teams have been allowed to negotiate their own deals to play each other during the preseason. The league allows individual teams to provide input into desired matchups and determines the matchups for any games that were not individually negotiated; however, the league sets all game dates and times.

If I remember correctly, Green Bay has been desirable for opposing teams to play because of the guarantee of a sellout. With the way teams structure their season tickets now (forcing season ticket holders to also buy preseason games or packaging regular season games with preseason games), I don't think that's as big of an issue.

pack4to84
08-24-2008, 04:43 AM
Given the Packers injury situation, I'm sure keeping the starters in longer is the last thing MM wants to do. I think the Packers should tell Fisher to schedule someone else if they want to play their starters that much in the last preseason game.
This is the reason the Packers want to play the Titans. Too see if our players trying to make the team are NFL ready. By playing starters and not backups to make the team. The score means nothing. So if a player shines vs Titans starters we know we have a gem in the making.

SnakeLH2006
08-24-2008, 05:00 AM
Lasahna looked good...like an NFL player...no room for him on the roster, but hope to hide him on the PS. <<Prays.....