PDA

View Full Version : Obama picks Biden

Charles Woodson
08-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Obama Taps Delaware Sen. Biden as Vice Presidential Running Mate
Veteran Senator Brings Foreign Policy Experience, Gravitas to Democratic Ticket

By JAKE TAPPER, BRIAN WHEELER and JENNIFER PARKER
Aug. 23, 2008

Barack Obama has made his vice presidential pick: The first term Senator will tap his more experienced colleague, Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., to join the Democratic ticket.

Biden, 65, brings immediate heft and foreign policy credentials to a ticket topped by the 47-year-old Obama. The Delaware Democrat first won his job in the Senate over 35 years ago -- when Obama was only 11 -- and has been re-elected five times.

He's chaired both the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and Judiciary Committee, and raised his profile recently by traveling on a fact-finding mission to war-torn Georgia, where he called for increased U.S. aid to the country and peacekeeping forces.

The trip underscored his vast foreign policy experience -- something that is lacking from Obama's resume. Biden is also thought to be someone who could hold his own during a vice presidential debate.

The ticket mates will appear together Saturday at a large campaign rally planned in Springfield, Ill., where Obama announced his presidential run more than 19 months ago.

After news of the pick leaked to the media late Friday night and early Saturday morning, the Obama campaign sent an e-mail and text message to supporters at 3:05 a.m. reading in part: "I have some important news that I want to make official. I've chosen Joe Biden to be my running mate."

Appearing on "Good Morning America" Saturday, Obama senior adviser Robert Gibbs refused to say exactly when Obama made the call to Biden.

"That call happened a little while ago; it didn't necessarily happen last night," Gibbs told ABC News anchor Kate Snow. "But he had a great conversation with Sen. Biden, had a great conversation with others.

"We think we've got a great pick," Gibbs added. "We've got someone who's ready to partner with Barack Obama to bring change to this country."

While speculation about the veep choice whipped into a fever pitch this week, the frontruners kept mum. Biden, along with Indiana Senator Evan Bayh and Virginia Governor Tim Kaine, all received calls about Obama's pick on Thursday, according to ABCNews' Jake Tapper.

Obama Adviser: 'We're Pretty Good at Keeping Secrets'

Obama's adviser also refused to comment on the thinking behind sending Obama supporters an e-mail and text message at 3:05 a.m. on a Saturday to alert them of his running mate.

"Look, we're pretty good at keeping secrets and we pride our campaign on that," Gibbs said. "But what we're not afraid to do today is to talk about our nominee for vice president."

The Obama adviser touted Biden's foreign policy credentials and potential appeal to working-class voters.

"We've got someone who hasn't forgotten where he's from, who goes home to Delaware every night on the train, has a working class background from Scranton," he said, "has a record of reaching across party lines to get things done not only in foreign affairs -- where he's an undisputed expert -- but somebody whose working to strengthen crime laws in the country, prevent violence against women, and work with Sen. Obama to strengthen fuel efficiency standards in the Congress."

Asked if Biden's extensive Washington experience highlights holes in Obama's resume, Gibbs argued the ticket mates compliment each other.

"I think we've got a great partnership of foreign and domestic policy to keep our country safe and get our economy moving again," Gibbs said.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=5467576&page=1