PDA

View Full Version : Some bold moves that "could happen"

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 10:42 AM
(they could happen if I were the coach)

Keep Scott Wells on the bench, Spitz is better.

Start Rouse ahead of Collins.

Cut KGB or put him on IR. Chances of him being healthy are slim.

Go with Lumpkin as the 3rd halfback.

Name Matt Flynn the #2 now, play him most of the final preseason game to see if he can hold the job.

Give Jordy Nelson a real shot to be the #3 WR. James Jones looks like Sterling Sharpe at times, but he doesn't have great hands or adjust to the ball well, I think he might be a mirage.

Maxie the Taxi
08-23-2008, 10:46 AM

Name Matt Flynn the #2 now, play him most of the final preseason game to see if he can hold the job.

Give Jordy Nelson a real shot to be the #3 WR. James Jones looks like Sterling Sharpe at times, but he doesn't have great hands or adjust to the ball well, I think he might be a mirage.

If you were coach, would TT have you on a long or short leash?

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 10:49 AM
leave the sexual comments out of here, that's for the garbage can.

AtlPackFan
08-23-2008, 10:52 AM

Do you think that the reasonThompson and McCarthy keep saying "we're fine" at backup is because they absolutely, positively don't want Aaron looking over his shoulder if he struggles out of the gate.

Maxie the Taxi
08-23-2008, 10:53 AM

Seriously, I agree with your coaching moves except I'd move Lumpkin to FB and you're wrong about Jones. He's mostly solid, big play guy.

[And a short leash would be mandatory :) ]

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Do you think that the reasonThompson and McCarthy keep saying "we're fine" at backup is because they absolutely, positively don't want Aaron looking over his shoulder if he struggles out of the gate.

now there's an interesting theory: they intentionally have crappy backups to make Arod feel more secure.

(I know that is not quite what you were saying.)

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 10:56 AM
you're wrong about Jones. He's mostly solid, big play guy.

I think my criticism that he doesn't adjust well to the ball is true. I really don't think he is very athletic, more just strong.

Obviously I could be off on this, I'm judging by a handful of plays that caught my eye.

AtlPackFan
08-23-2008, 11:06 AM
now there's an interesting theory: they intentionally have crappy backups to make Arod feel more secure.

(I know that is not quite what you were saying.)

Well, I'm sure they were expecting Brohm would look better than he has. :lol: My guess is they are getting from Flynn about what they expected.

I guess my thought is if you bring in any backup worth his salt in - say, for example, a Simms - they are going to feel like they could start. So, if the Pack start 1-3 (or worse) and Rodgers struggles, Packer Nation and the media could be screaming for Simms and the Packers now have another QB controversy on their hands. I think Thompson wants to protect Aaron from that somewhat.

If Brohm was playing better and the same example played out, I think the Packers could simply say he's a rookie, he's not ready.

I don't know...just a thought. I can't come up with any other explanation as to why they haven't moved on a backup. If they wait for final cuts, I would think its going to take a 1/4 of the season for a backup to get up to speed with the offense.

Tarlam!
08-23-2008, 11:25 AM
They had Collins with the headset on, so I doubt he doesn't start.

I'm OK with Lumpkin on the team. Cut Wynn AFAIC - I was wrong on that guy, I admit it.

Do we miss KGB out there? Hell YES! No way would I want him gone, unless he really is an IR case.

Bench Wells? He is a little shortish. You win on that one.

Let Jordy develop. No need to rush him along.

Flynn? Sure, from what he's shown, no issues there.

A vet QB? No thank you.

Bretsky
08-23-2008, 12:27 PM
I thought you might bring up Wynn since I recall you being his greatest apologist. Same old story this year again.

RashanGary
08-23-2008, 12:39 PM
I could see them putting JH on the IR and then trading a LB for a dlineman. It's not bold, but it's somethign I could see happening.

Badgerinmaine
08-23-2008, 12:47 PM
[quote]

Yes--or to have his teammates do the same.

pbmax
08-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Remember they made an offer to Culpepper to be the backup. So I don't think they are concerned about pecking order.

But there are few available options with the talent Culpepper has. Mental limitations aside, he is an NFL quality starter if healthy. The others currently available do not look as good in comparison.

It would be rare for a DT to be available in a trade for a backup linebacker.

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 04:48 PM
I thought you might bring up Wynn since I recall you being his greatest apologist. Same old story this year again.

my God Bretsky, you're worse than Madtown, spreading malicious lies about me.

I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of that bum Wynn.

edit: oh, i guess you were referring to Tarlam. ya, Tarlam is a dope.

Joemailman
08-23-2008, 04:57 PM

I agree Spitz is better than Wells. However, with the injury to Sitton, they may both have to play.

It will be hard to keep Rouse off the field. He may well start before the season is over.

Gotta hope KGB can get healthy. Hunter can't do what he does. Maybe Thompson will eventually.

Lumpkin looked good. However, he has an injury history. I think they may keep him and Morency.

I agree that Flynn should be #2.

I think you're wrong about Jones. Nelson's time will come.

Bretsky
08-23-2008, 05:15 PM

my God Bretsky, you're worse than Madtown, spreading malicious lies about me.

I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of that bum Wynn.

edit: oh, i guess you were referring to Tarlam. ya, Tarlam is a dope.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=8324&start=0

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=9095&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Harlan Huckleby
08-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Bretsky, you fool. OF course I am lying. But what you fail to realize is that lying is highly effective in debates such as this, nobody cares enough to think about things too closely, or remember past postitions, and certainly nobody is going to click on your stupid links.

Face it, I can run, and I can hide from my past. Get used to it.

rbaloha1
08-23-2008, 09:36 PM

Agreed.

Agreed. Better in the run game as well as interceptions. Collins is fast with bad hands. When does Collins contract expire?

KGB still can play. Only should be resigned at the NFL minimum

Yes!

Yes! Clearly outplayed Brohm. Reminds of a young Hasselbeck

Not quite ready yet. Does not run precise routes. IMO Jones and Martin are still ahead.

Tarlam!
08-24-2008, 12:40 AM
How dare you call me a dope, Harlan. That was our little secret! Now, the whole forum knows!!

NewsBruin
08-24-2008, 01:47 AM
As much of a Wynn hoper as I was, I don't think he should get the benefit of the doubt if he hasn't shown a lot of anything on or off the field. If the coaches gauge he doesn't want a roster spot enough, then what do you do?

Can we move him to practice squad this year, or does he have too much experience from last season?

SnakeLH2006
08-24-2008, 03:15 AM

Keep Scott Wells on the bench, Spitz is better. AGREE

Start Rouse ahead of Collins. AGREE

Cut KGB or put him on IR. Chances of him being healthy are slim. DISAGREE.....KGB is a huge cap sum and is a very productive pass rusher (We don't have many) when healthy.

Go with Lumpkin as the 3rd halfback. AGREE..Dude's been a beast so far and very shifty, why FB???

Name Matt Flynn the #2 now, play him most of the final preseason game to see if he can hold the job. AGREE...gotta see what we got before we go the vet QB route..maybe he can be a #2 (he's gonna be longterm #2 somewhere aka Koy Detmer)

Give Jordy Nelson a real shot to be the #3 WR. James Jones looks like Sterling Sharpe at times, but he doesn't have great hands or adjust to the ball well, I think he might be a mirage. TOTALLY DISAGREE...JJ has been a beast as a playmaker as Sterling Jr. and the positive on him in college was as a strong handed receiver (the fumbles sucked, but the dude catches passes and is plenty athletic...Jordy will make plays as a KR and tackling beast on the wedge, and as a 4th or 5th receiver)