View Full Version : Jason Wilde, Friday Packer Team report

motife
06-17-2006, 03:47 AM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=87974&ntpid=2
Packers: Campbell back in action
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY - No one will ever accuse Ted Thompson of being a softie.

The guy lasted 10 years in the NFL as an undrafted linebacker and special teams player, missing just one of 147 games due to injury. And as the Green Bay Packers' general manager, he has to make tough decisions all the time - from firing a coach to cutting a player - and can't get all touchy-feely about it.

So when you hear what Thompson has to say about Kurt Campbell, a 2005 seventh-round pick who missed all of last season with a knee injury, you know the kid must be something special.

"It's good to see him out there," Thompson said during a break in the Packers' organized team activity practices, which have marked Campbell's first on-field work since tearing the ACL in his right knee during an Aug. 1 training-camp practice. "He's just a bright young man that wants to be a player, and has worked diligently in rehab to get himself ready to go.

"He's a nice guy. He's one of those people from a character standpoint you want on your team."

So much so that the Packers drafted him, even though he was coming from a small school (Albany) and played the "rover" position (a linebacker-safety hybrid) after playing cornerback his first two college seasons. So much so that they kept him, even after his injury, while many other players injured in training camps throughout the league receive an injury settlement and are never heard from again.

"We liked what we saw," said Thompson, even though the Packers only had a handful of practices before Campbell went down. "There was a reason we picked him in the draft. Even though he was coming from a small school and played corner a lot of the time, he was a instinctive player. Some players, when you see where they're at (following an injury), there's reason not to keep them. It didn't make sense for us to do that (with Campbell)."

Still, Campbell, who'll turn 24 July 30 (two days into training camp), has his work cut out for him to make the Packers roster.

The team added linebackers A.J. Hawk (first round) and Abdul Hodge (third round) in the draft, signed veterans Ben Taylor (Cleveland) and Tracy White (Jacksonville) in free agency and still have holdovers Nick Barnett and Roy Manning. Plus, 2005 fourth-round pick Brady Poppinga is coming back from a torn ACL in his left knee suffered Dec. 11 and figures to open the season on the physically unable to perform list.

Campbell, though, isn't fazed. As he sat in the far back area of the locker room - filled with roster longshots and nicknamed "The Green Mile" - he massaged the "Blessed" tattoo on his right biceps and showed the kind of attitude Thompson must like so much.

"You've heard it a million times, but I'm going to go out there and work my (butt) off and God willing, it'll happen. If it's not supposed to happen, there's a lot of things I can do in life. But this is what I want to do," said Campbell, whose degree is in information science and policy and whose technological wizardry is well-known in the Packers' locker room.

"It's more competition, but the Packers have to do what's good for the Packers. I wouldn't expect them to say, 'We've got to wait for Kurt.' I just have to step my game up and prove that I'm worth it."

<>Extra points

Tickets for the Packers' Aug. 5 Family Night event will go sale today at 10 a.m. Priced at $8, tickets can be purchased in person at Lambeau Field, by calling 800-895-0071 or via the Internet at packers.com. ... Ex-NFL quarterback Rich Gannon visited and spoke to the team. Gannon, who is serving as the color analyst for the Packers' preseason games on television, worked with Mike McCarthy earlier in his career. ... Quarterback Brett Favre did not practice but was in attendance, according to McCarthy.

Fritz
06-17-2006, 06:20 AM
Just another feel-good minicamp type of story. Let's see where his is at the end of August. It would be a nice surprise, though.

HarveyWallbangers
06-17-2006, 09:38 AM
He's a real longshot, but he seems like a kid that will work his butt off, and some times those guys are surprise keeps. I imagine they'll try to hide him on the PS this year if he's any good.

woodbuck27
06-17-2006, 10:39 AM
"I imagine they'll try to hide him on the PS this year if he's any good." HarveyWallbangers

How do we hide him? LOL

We had better summon Mike McCarthy to give Jason Wilde and other beat writers the bloody Ole' crap for giving Campbell the ink he is getting then Harve.

swede
06-18-2006, 11:31 PM
KGB went home his first year. I don't think they even put him on the practice squad.

Next year he came back and played like crazy and made a splash in training camp and in the regular season.

But that was a pass-rushing DE.

This kid will be cut. Have we had any previous "rovers" taking up the 54th spot? Sorry. Our long snapper Rob Davis has that honor pretty well tied up.

Partial
06-18-2006, 11:35 PM
KGB was practice squad

Anti-Polar Bear
06-19-2006, 12:53 AM
After reading the article, I still don't know who the hell Kurt Campbell is.

Is he related to Scott Campbell or something?

Partial
06-19-2006, 01:10 AM
After reading the article, I still don't know who the hell Kurt Campbell is.

Is he related to Scott Campbell or something?

How could you not? The Raiders wanted him and a 3rd next year for Moss on draft day.

mmmdk
06-19-2006, 03:05 AM
I knew Kurt Campbell was/is a Packer, he was a 7th rounder last year and he blew out his knee. Why all this "who dat?". In my book it's just another nail in the tank/coffin :lol: Peace!!!

KYPack
06-19-2006, 08:10 AM
I knew Kurt Campbell was/is a Packer, he was a 7th rounder last year and he blew out his knee. Why all this "who dat?". In my book it's just another nail in the tank/coffin :lol: Peace!!!

This is a very positive trend. Posters that hate Tank worse than I do!

Every year there seems to be one player that appears on the roster that I have totally missed. This year it's Tracy White (Jacksonville), a LB. I'd appreciate any info people have on the guy. I imagine he's a long shot, but any data would be good.

woodbuck27
06-19-2006, 09:40 AM
"I'd appreciate any info people have on the guy. I imagine he's a long shot, but any data would be good." KYPack

# 59 Tracy White Position: LB Height: 6-0 Weight: 230
Born: 04/14/1981 College: Howard NFL Experience: 4

Not alot to report on this LBer KY. Best resuts by far would come from his season in Seattle in 2004 when he dressed for 10 games and had 39 tackles (30 unassisted) and 1 sack.

The stat's reports (or resources) on him with the Jags are a contradiction, but the best they give him, is that he was dressed for 15 games and had 4 tackles and nothing else.

I'm guessing, as he was an undrafted Rookie in 2003 with the Seahawks, that TT brought him in as a FA. NFL records show, that in 2003 he was dressed for 11 games and had 9 tackles.

Not alot on him in my search KY.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Why all this "who dat?"

I didn't know America's proud hip hop culture has spreaded to Europe. Has it? Oh nevermind. I just relized that anything is possible today; thanks to MTV.

Gosh, I love Coldplay.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-19-2006, 10:01 AM
How could you not? The Raiders wanted him and a 3rd next year for Moss on draft day.

According to the Oakland Republic, Al Davis, at draft time, was offering Thompson Moss and the Raiders' 7th overall for the 5th overall, Walker, a 4th rounder, and a 2007 conditional (depanding on Walker's productions). But because Thompson loves 4-12, so he opted not to go for the deal.

mmmdk
06-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Just like you, Tank, I love Coldplay too. I gather you love the Pack as well - as do I. And I know, I just know, Tank loves TT beyond comprehension. I merely respect TT :lol:

By the way, there's not much US rap music in my music collection. I got the new KEANE cd. I'd give it 5 out of 6.

All this Euro vs. USA is old - we all know the Euro-rats fled to America. Big deal :wink: :D I'm lucky, I can trash Europe & USA and get away with it. I have dual citizinships (American & Danish). Peace!

Anti-Polar Bear
06-19-2006, 10:38 AM
All this Euro vs. USA is old - we all know the Euro-rats fled to America. Big deal :wink: :D I'm lucky, I can trash Europe & USA and get away with it. I have dual citizinships (American & Danish). Peace!

How is it possible for you to be citizen of 2 nations? I've always wanted to apply for Citizinship of the Czech Republic, so I am wondering how you do it.

woodbuck27
06-19-2006, 10:59 AM
"How is it possible for you to be citizen of 2 nations? I've always wanted to apply for Citizinship of the Czech Republic, so I am wondering how you do it." Anti-Polar Bear

Here ( below ) you will find a start.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

Anti-Polar Bear
06-19-2006, 11:41 AM
"How is it possible for you to be citizen of 2 nations? I've always wanted to apply for Citizinship of the Czech Republic, so I am wondering how you do it." Anti-Polar Bear

Here ( below ) you will find a start.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

Hey, thanks a whole lot, Woodbuck. :mrgreen: