PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the 2008 Top 5 and Worst 5 Starting QB Situations

SnakeLH2006
08-24-2008, 03:50 AM
Bobblehead had a deece post (yea, we cool) about JT O'Sullivan as the starting QB for the Niners, so wanted to get some feedback about this year's state of the NFL's starting QB's from the Packerrats gurus.

Post your top 5 and worst 5 starting QB situations this year if healthy and state your opinions why freely. This is a damn good forum for opinions, bar none. Who's gonna win games (not as a team, but as an individual...aka you could put them on any team and their QB talent would decide games, not the team):

TOP 5

1) Tom Brady (dude's gotten ridiculously good lately, SB's state it themselves)
2) Peyton Manning
3) Tony Romo (he's been pretty spectacular lately, looks to be a team guy and getting better)
4) David Garrard (seeing his season last year, esp. playoffs looks to be pretty damn good and has blown up this chart)
5) Big Ben

WORST 5

1) JT O'Sullivan (aka TJ Rubley....a preseason game does not a season make)
2) Kyle Orton (or insert Rex Grossman...made a $50 profit last year when my boss, a Bears fan bet me that Bad Rex would have a higher QB rating than Brett the Jet after the 2007 season.... :lol: D-U-M-B-A-S-S)
3) Chris Redman (Matt Ryan has looked damn good in preseason so this may not be the Louisville Legend :roll:...the only reason I have Redman #3 is because Ryan may start, but still struggle as a rook)
4) Josh McNown (or Chad Henne as a rookie)
5) Damon Huard (journeyman at best, but protects the ball...too bad KC doesn't have much for playmakers at receiver) or Croyle

------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a side note that you may rank wherever:

I ranked Jet Favre #7 (he's looked a lot better with a 119 QB rating after tonight's game, then I thought he would with the "NY Bretts" on the Best list behind Carson Palmer and put Arod #15 (I missed the game he tore it up vs. Broncos, but am encouraged by his progess......again this is only the CURRENT state ablility to win games by themselves as a QB).

Also, the latest Sporting News ranked Drew Brees at #9.....not as a QB but as one of the top PLAYERS in the NFL for this season....WTF is that??? :shock: :lol:

Let it roll Rats! Let's hear your opinions!

mmmdk
08-24-2008, 04:12 AM
JT is better than TJ. JT is the new Hugh Millen :lol: That says a lot 'bout TJ.

Matt Ryan is a player; I hope I get to see him...get pounded at Lambeau. :P

SnakeLH2006
08-24-2008, 04:20 AM
JT is better than TJ. JT is the new Hugh Millen :lol: That says a lot 'bout TJ.

Matt Ryan is a player; I hope I get to see him...get pounded at Lambeau. :P

Matt Ryan has been pretty good in preseason, but rated them low because Chris Redman is teh suck (internet jargon inserted), but Ryan won't do much better in 2008 (but he'll be a Carson Palmer type player in a year or two). Like that dude...

SkinBasket
08-24-2008, 08:06 AM

You're forgetting Pennington is now a Dolphin. You may have heard about that whole Brett Favre to the Jets things that led to his release. There were some stories about it here and a couple threads.

Charles Woodson
08-24-2008, 05:43 PM
I know its only preseason, but the way that the dolphins have played..(recording a shutout last night) i would take Pennington off.

SnakeLH2006
08-24-2008, 05:48 PM

You're forgetting Pennington is now a Dolphin. You may have heard about that whole Brett Favre to the Jets things that led to his release. There were some stories about it here and a couple threads.

Yeah, I forgot about that. lol. Again this is all opinion, yet I don't think Pennington, even in his current state is a worst 5 QB right now. He's far from a gamechanger, but won't lose big games with dumb decisions. He's an accurate veteran QB, so you're right, the Dolphins have slightly upgraded at QB this offseason.

oregonpackfan
08-24-2008, 07:53 PM
The Seahawks may have a poor quarterback situation with Hasslebeck's back injury. He hasn't played the past two preseason games. It is unknown when he will return.

BallHawk
08-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Matt Ryan was confirmed as the starter today by the Falcons. It'll be interesting to see how well he does with so little. Hope it isn't going to be like David Carr all over again.

Lurker64
08-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Matt Ryan was confirmed as the starter today by the Falcons. It'll be interesting to see how well he does with so little. Hope it isn't going to be like David Carr all over again.

I'm pretty sure he's going to fail and he's going to get killed. Whether that ruins him or not, it's going to depend on his mental makeup which nobody has any real idea about. Guys like Peyton Manning (3–13) and Troy Aikman (1-15) were thrown into the fire right away and failed initially, but they rebounded to have hall of fame careers. Guys like Joey Harrington (3-13), Tim Couch (2-14) and David Carr (4-12) never recovered.

If I was a team with a pick near the top of the draft that was in need of a QB, I would scout the hell out of the prospects for "mental toughness" and "ability to overcome adversity", since even though the guy I pick may well have all the potential in the world, if I'm drafting in the top of the draft, he's going to be facing a lot of adversity.

mraynrand
08-24-2008, 09:55 PM
If I was a team with a pick near the top of the draft that was in need of a QB, I would scout the hell out of the prospects for "mental toughness" and "ability to overcome adversity",

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/1998/08/17/rookie_qbs/lg_leaf_ap.jpg

LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!

Partial
08-24-2008, 10:40 PM

I'm pretty sure he's going to fail and he's going to get killed. Whether that ruins him or not, it's going to depend on his mental makeup which nobody has any real idea about. Guys like Peyton Manning (3–13) and Troy Aikman (1-15) were thrown into the fire right away and failed initially, but they rebounded to have hall of fame careers. Guys like Joey Harrington (3-13), Tim Couch (2-14) and David Carr (4-12) never recovered.

If I was a team with a pick near the top of the draft that was in need of a QB, I would scout the hell out of the prospects for "mental toughness" and "ability to overcome adversity", since even though the guy I pick may well have all the potential in the world, if I'm drafting in the top of the draft, he's going to be facing a lot of adversity.

Two Tedford quarterbacks and the overhyped Tim Couch. Funny.

With that said, I think that scouting a QB is really hard. Some have it, some don't. Phil Rivers was nearly as good of a prospect as Eli coming out, but would anyone take Phil over Eli to run a huddle? Some things are natural and just can't be learned.

Troy and Peyton were just far more talented mentally and physically then the others listed. I don't think mental toughness was the differentiating factor.

I think Matt Ryan is going to fail miserably. Starting somebody who's talent isn't off the charts is a really, really, really bad move in my opinion.

bobblehead
08-24-2008, 10:55 PM
I like your analysis snake, it was pretty fair. I have one disagreement in that I'm much higher on Orton than most (or all) people. I think the bears should have had him starting long ago, he has been far more productive than wrecks. I think Tevarias Jackson is worse than Orton.

I also might put the chargers ahead of indy since we can't know how bad peyton is hurt but I like rivers (brees could be there too)

texaspackerbacker
08-25-2008, 12:56 AM
I'll take P. Manning over Brady for #1.

I'll put Grossman/Orton at the bottom, followed closely by Tavaris Jackson.

On the lower end, Miami is third worst; Kansas City fourth worst; And probably Atlanta fifth worse, although I'm not all that convinced Ryan fails miserably.

I also see St. Louis and Philadelphia as disasters waiting to happen; Buffalo is perpetual mediocrity; Houston is nothing special; And guerss what, Brett Favre and the Jets are gonna end up near the top of the bottom ten of quality.

I see Palmer in Cincinnati as a solid third, Rivers in San Diego as fourth, and (drum roll accompanied by hoots from idiot detractors), Aaron Rodgers and the Packers fifth with a distinct possibility of moving higher.

Pacopete4
08-25-2008, 01:40 AM
Best:
1. Brady
2. Manning
3. Favre
5. Brees
6. Palmer
7. Hasselbeck
8. Roethlisberger
9. Rivers
10. Cutler

Worst:
1. Croyle
2. Edwards
3. Boller/Smith/Flacco
4. Ryan
5. Orton (even though I think he'll do good, I have to til he proves me right)
6. O'Sullivan
7. Pennington
8. Tjack
9. Schaub
10. Young

I think Arod's gotta be around 15-19th ranked right now with a shot to move up on his play.. haven't see enough to warrant a high nor low ranking

3irty1
08-25-2008, 07:09 AM
If Madden is any judge Tarvaris Jackson is dead last. I was trying to do this Madden moment where you have to beat the broncos with 6 minutes left and are down by 16. He couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Best:
1. Brady
2. Manning
3. Favre
5. Brees
6. Palmer
7. Hasselbeck
8. Roethlisberger
9. Rivers
10. Cutler

Worst:
1. Croyle
2. Edwards
3. Boller/Smith/Flacco
4. Ryan
5. Orton (even though I think he'll do good, I have to til he proves me right)
6. O'Sullivan
7. Pennington
8. Tjack
9. Schaub
10. Young

I think Arod's gotta be around 15-19th ranked right now with a shot to move up on his play.. haven't see enough to warrant a high nor low ranking

Based on last year, these are fine. If projecting for this year, I'd take Brees and Big Ben over Favre. Probably Hasselbeck and Palmer also. That would still put Favre in the top 8 though. I think TJack will be better than 30th this year, but I'm not sure how big of a jump he'll make. I'd move Schaub up also--even further than TJack. ARod at 15-19 is fine. I have hopes that he'll be higher than that, but the proof is in the pudding.

Tarlam!
08-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Young is the worst QB in the league? Phewie.

Zool
08-25-2008, 08:12 AM
I think they're saying 10th worst situation for Young to be in. Croyle is in the worst situation over all.

Tarlam!
08-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks, Z. Clearly, I didn't get it.

mngolf19
08-25-2008, 08:34 AM
TJack is not in the bottom 5 of QB's in this league. Sheesh, this will be his 3rd season for crying out loud. And the Vikes are not in the bottom 10 QB situations either. He needs to make a step up this year no doubt, but I'm confident he will to some extent. Enough for the team to win this year I believe. If I'm wrong, we'll find out soon enough on opening night. But that goes for everyone else too.

Zool
08-25-2008, 08:43 AM
TJack is not in the bottom 5 of QB's in this league. Sheesh, this will be his 3rd season for crying out loud. And the Vikes are not in the bottom 10 QB situations either. He needs to make a step up this year no doubt, but I'm confident he will to some extent. Enough for the team to win this year I believe. If I'm wrong, we'll find out soon enough on opening night. But that goes for everyone else too.

Hard to base an entire season on 1 game, but I get where you're coming from. Setting the tone early helps the entire team.

The Leaper
08-25-2008, 08:45 AM
My top 5 situations?

1. Pats...loads of talent with players and coaches.
2. Colts...loads of talent, dome, hands-off coaches.
3. Saints...lots of weapons, dome, progressive coach.
4. Jags...fabulous defense and run game in support.
5. Steelers...high level talent and strong run game.

Bottom 5?

1. Dolphins
2. Chiefs
3. Bears
4. Falcons
5. Titans

texaspackerbacker
08-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Are these based on analysis of last season? Or are these predictions of the upcoming season?

Favre ranked third is very valid based on last year. This season, though, I say he is clearly upper bottom ten material.

Gunakor
08-25-2008, 01:10 PM
My top 5 situations?

1. Pats...loads of talent with players and coaches.
2. Colts...loads of talent, dome, hands-off coaches.
3. Saints...lots of weapons, dome, progressive coach.
4. Jags...fabulous defense and run game in support.
5. Steelers...high level talent and strong run game.

Bottom 5?

1. Dolphins
2. Chiefs
3. Bears
4. Falcons
5. Titans

I don't know if I could put Miami on the bottom 5 this year. They got a proven starter in Pennington, who is lacking arm strength but makes up for some of that with his accuracy and efficiency. Behind him is Henne who was fairly highly rated coming out of college and just might become a solid starting QB for them in a year or two.

I can't really disagree with any of the other ones though.

SnakeLH2006
08-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Are these based on analysis of last season? Or are these predictions of the upcoming season?

Favre ranked third is very valid based on last year. This season, though, I say he is clearly upper bottom ten material.

I was projecting the current QB situations coming into this 2008 season. For example, Favre was prob. 2nd or 3rd last year and I have him 6th this year. T-Jack was terrible the last 2 years, but coming into his 3rd year, he is definitely not one of the worst 5 with the talent around him and his starting experience.

LOL about the worst QB in Madden as T-Jack, as I use Matt Ryan as my QB. I traded for all the best rooks and 2nd year guys for my Packer Franchise. A-Rod does well on there too.

MOBB DEEP
08-25-2008, 04:13 PM
kurt warner beats out matt leinart but brett wasnt allowed to beat out arod???

go figure...

Lurker64
08-25-2008, 04:15 PM

go figure...

Are you really so unaware that you don't realize how these circumstances are different? Or are you just trying to start this fight again?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2008, 04:30 PM

go figure...

With every post it is becoming clearer and clearer that your dissertation really was about black athletes and white women.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2008, 04:31 PM

go figure...

Are you really so unaware that you don't realize how these circumstances are different? Or are you just trying to start this fight again?

I think the former..sadly.

MOBB DEEP
08-25-2008, 05:21 PM

go figure...

he he

Chevelle2
08-25-2008, 06:08 PM

go figure...

I don't see the similarities

retailguy
08-25-2008, 07:35 PM

http://www.deafblindlh.org/images/may02wintercamp/4may02horse2.jpg

Zool
08-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Wrong side of the horse there RG.

retailguy
08-25-2008, 08:01 PM

lol.... I was going after the blinders aspect, but hell you're right! It was my first attempt at 'picture' response. I thought it was pretty good, but I'll get better.... :P

texaspackerbacker
08-25-2008, 08:06 PM

I was projecting the current QB situations coming into this 2008 season. For example, Favre was prob. 2nd or 3rd last year and I have him 6th this year. T-Jack was terrible the last 2 years, but coming into his 3rd year, he is definitely not one of the worst 5 with the talent around him and his starting experience.

LOL about the worst QB in Madden as T-Jack, as I use Matt Ryan as my QB. I traded for all the best rooks and 2nd year guys for my Packer Franchise. A-Rod does well on there too.

In that case, I respectfully disagree with several of your predictions.

I don't think Favre will be anywhere near 6th--closer to 6th from the bottom with far less talent around him and much less of an off-season preparation effort than last season.

Rodgers is set up for success--and IMO, will succeed. I agree that Tavaris also is set up for success, but I think he's bad enough that he will fail just the same.

I wouldn't bet money on Ryan, but I sure wouldn't bet against him either--even though he has so little around him with the Falcons.

MOBB DEEP
08-26-2008, 11:10 AM

lol.... I was going after the blinders aspect, but hell you're right! It was my first attempt at 'picture' response. I thought it was pretty good, but I'll get better.... :P

he he he...

SnakeLH2006
08-28-2008, 02:10 AM
Side note...What I mean is this. There are some good backups in the league, but..if someone has to step up, the question is this? What starting QB slot in the league is best off regardless of QB (granted the best don't get hurt, but what team is best off considering their iron-clad QB or worst case scenarios that QB gets hurt)...I put Brady, Manning 1-2 cuz they (regardless of preseason injuriies) are 2-3 in QB history for starts behind Brett the Jet so I doubt if matters to their team. After hearing posts, I might drop Palmer from #6 to #10 considering he's NEVER won a playoff game nor did Romo..Damn. For all the Favre-rippers...consider that fact....He just moved to #5 for this season for best QB scenarios regardless his backup, just cuz he'll play all 16 games.

Chevelle2
08-28-2008, 06:16 AM

http://www.deafblindlh.org/images/may02wintercamp/4may02horse2.jpg

Uhhhh Warner didn't retire.

Rastak
08-28-2008, 06:27 AM
Neither did Favre technically. He started he would and he didn't.

pbmax
08-28-2008, 09:18 AM
But you'd have to agree that the press conference was much more dramatic than paperwork, no?

mraynrand
08-28-2008, 09:48 AM
But you'd have to agree that the press conference was much more dramatic than paperwork, no?

More dramatic sure. But not more compelling. Annoying and embarrassing are the words I'd choose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/images/300/baby_crying_closeup.jpg

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/mar08/favre2_speaks30608-308.jpg

http://images.620wtmj.com/images/620wtmj_030708favrecryjs1.JPG

gex
08-28-2008, 04:41 PM
How can any of those QB's fall in the last 10 group? I'm sure that the coachs and gm's see something in them to not go with sombody better.

Oh snap?! :lol: