PDA

View Full Version : Jagodzinkski wants more from Gardner

motife
06-17-2006, 03:49 AM
http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/14837055.htm
Coach wants to see more of Gardner
CHRIS JENKINS
Associated Press
GREEN BAY, Wis. - For most of this month, Green Bay Packers coaches have refrained from criticizing players for skipping voluntary organized team activity workouts.

At times, Packers coach Mike McCarthy has seemed to be more annoyed with media members asking about player absences than with the absent players themselves.

But sporadic attendance by wide receiver Rod Gardner this month isn't sitting too well with offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski.

"I wish he was here through the whole (month)," Jagodzinski said. "The more you can be here, the better."

The Packers picked up Gardner last December after he was released by the Carolina Panthers. With the team lacking a clear-cut No. 2 receiver to Donald Driver, Gardner - who had a 1,000-yard season for Washington in 2002 - presumably is in position to earn extensive playing time.

Jagodzinski said Gardner has talent but doesn't show it consistently.

"Rod flashes, and he makes some plays," Jagodzinski said. "I go, 'God, who's that guy?'"

Gardner was present for workouts on Thursday and Friday, saying he missed workouts earlier in the week because he had to take care of his son.

Gardner said Thursday that he knows coaches want players to attend all the workouts, but said training camp, which opens July 28, was more important.

"I think it's because we have a new coaching staff and everybody needs to be on the same page," Gardner said. "But if somebody's not here and then they come to training camp and do their thing, what can you say?"

---

GUEST SPEAKER: McCarthy invited former NFL MVP Rich Gannon to speak to the Packers' quarterbacks for about 45 minutes on Friday morning, schooling them on how he used to prepare for games.

Gannon had a message for second-year QB Aaron Rodgers: put the heat on Brett Favre in practice.

"Put pressure on Brett, know what I mean?," said Gannon, who will join the television broadcast team for Packers preseason games this year. "And Brett doesn't need that pressure, but I'm just saying, that's how you help Brett. That's how you make Brett better, by bringing out the best. The competition brings out the best in all of us. But that's what Aaron can do, and that's what all the quarterbacks can do."

Favre wasn't at the meeting, but Gannon said he expected Favre to have a big year.

"In my opinion, he's still at the top of his game," Gannon said. "It's just a question of putting it all together, getting more comfortable with the new system."

Gannon worked with McCarthy in Kansas City, where McCarthy was the Chiefs' quarterbacks coach from 1995-98. Gannon credits McCarthy with teaching him how to watch film and prepare for games.

"There was never a doubt in my mind that he'd be a head coach," Gannon said.

---

NOTES: Fullback William Henderson, safety Nick Collins, tight end David Martin and rookie receiver Greg Jennings were among the notables missing from Friday's voluntary workout. Cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris continued their extended absences. ... Favre did not practice, but McCarthy said Favre was in the building on Friday. ... The Packers conclude this month's voluntary workouts next week with sessions on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The players will then be off until training camp opens July 28.

Fritz
06-17-2006, 06:14 AM
"Jagodzinkski Wants More From Gardner"

Is this like the way I wanted more from my girlfriend back in high school?

Joemailman
06-18-2006, 11:26 AM

I sure hope not. :razz:

woodbuck27
06-18-2006, 12:04 PM

That brings to mind the word 'frustrated'.

frustrated (verb) - to cause feelings in (someone) of being thwarted or baffled, deprived of what was due, or having some fundamentle need unsatisfied.