PDA

View Full Version : Tramon, Bush, Blackmon, Lee

RashanGary
08-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Will Blackmon is a sieve on defense. It's like he's not even there. How many passes were completed on him Friday night? It seemed like 10 in a row. Maybe he makes it on ST's play because he is a dynamic returner.

Jarrett Bush is another guy who seems to be a nobody on defense. If he can beat out Peprah at safety maybe he makes it based on ST's play.

Tramon - Seems like everything we hoped he'd be. That was a bad call on the pass interferance. He was looking back and had his arm up for the ball. He did get beat by a great pass and catch by Marshall on the next play, but that happens from time to time. Overall though, he had a damn good game and offseason.

Lee - I was down on him when they drafted him, but I'm coming around. He seems better already than Blackmon and Bush and he's tough as hell for a corner. He got beat deep once, but made up for it with great speed. He's made some nice physical plays and done just enough not to get beat over and over like Blackmon and Bush do.

I really don't wnat Bush and Blackmon on the team. My hope is that one of the young no names steps up and beats one of these guys out. We can't afford two secondary slots based solely on ST's.

Joemailman
08-24-2008, 09:48 AM
I agree that Bush should be gone. Blackmon however, has the potential to swing a couple of games with his punt returns. Plus, it is probably too early to write him off as a CB. Because of his injuries, he really hasn't played that much as a CB.

DonHutson
08-24-2008, 09:56 AM
There's no way Blackmon doesn't make the team, even if he never plays on defense. He's too good as a punt returner.

Nelson looks good on kick off returns, but he doesn't have the instant acceleration, the ability to seemingly keep one eye on the ball and one eye downfield, or the fearlessness that Blackmon has on punts. If Blackmon gets hurt again, at some point you might need to move on but right now ride him until he breaks down.

RashanGary
08-24-2008, 09:59 AM
He is so bad at defense though. It's like playing with 10 guys when he's on the field. It's almost like carrying two long snappers because I don't see how you can put him out there in a real game.

DonHutson
08-24-2008, 10:04 AM
He is so bad at defense though. It's like playing with 10 guys when he's on the field.

He's the #5 CB at best. Hopefully you won't need him much.

He spent a lot of time at WR at Boston College, and he's been hurt a lot in Green Bay, so he might still have some upside at CB - maybe even quite a bit, but he needs to start showing it. In the meantime, he'll earn his keep on special teams.

Jason Hunter is a guy that was nearly useless on D for two years, making the team solely on special teams play. Now he seems to be at a point where he can contribute some on D. Hopefully Blackmon can stay healthy for a whole year and make similar (or better) progress.

KYPack
08-24-2008, 10:51 AM
He is so bad at defense though. It's like playing with 10 guys when he's on the field.

He's the #5 CB at best. Hopefully you won't need him much.

He spent a lot of time at WR at Boston College, and he's been hurt a lot in Green Bay, so he might still have some upside at CB - maybe even quite a bit, but he needs to start showing it. In the meantime, he'll earn his keep on special teams.

Jason Hunter is a guy that was nearly useless on D for two years, making the team solely on special teams play. Now he seems to be at a point where he can contribute some on D. Hopefully Blackmon can stay healthy for a whole year and make similar (or better) progress.

Actually, this is an area that i feel real qualified to comment. Blackmon has improved a lot at corner. When he first came on the team, he was the most clueless corner since Hawkins, Joey Thomas & Michael Hawthorne. Like Don said, he hasn't really played corner much and is still learning the ropes. He's such a spectacular returner, he will have a job based on his ST skills.

If Lionel keeps working with Blackmon, he'll be a decent slot corner and back-up.

MJZiggy
08-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Just remember too, that the kid's got a lot of rust to knock off as well. Every time he got a foot on the field, it seems he broke it. Hopefully he finds his groove again because I don't recall him being so bad in past years.

pbmax
08-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Bush could be in trouble due to injuries at other positions. They may not be able to keep 10 DB and six CBs this year with injuries to the DLine, the likelihood of three QBs and Grant's injury.

If they carry nine DBs, Culver or Peprah could be number nine so they have four safeties. And Bush would out of a spot, unless they think he can play safety.

Harlan Huckleby
08-24-2008, 11:20 AM
it sounds about 50-50 that Ahman Carroll will be available after the final cut down.

boiga
08-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Will Blackmon is a sieve on defense. It's like he's not even there. How many passes were completed on him Friday night? It seemed like 10 in a row. Maybe he makes it on ST's play because he is a dynamic returner. I really disagree here. I thought Blackmon's play on Friday was exemplary. Sure a couple of catches were made on him, but his coverage was tight and his tackling sure. No receiver got a single YAC on him. If he can stay healthy, Blackmon has the skills and talent to be our nickle guy. Tramon's better, but Blackmon could do the job.

I also don't see why you are so bullish on Lee. The guy was solely responsible for a TD on Friday when he tried to jump a route and failed. He's been dropping interception, losing coverage, and getting whipped by receivers. At best he is Practice Squad material. He's got a lot to learn before he can be of any use at this level.

I agree about Tramon's skills and Bush's lack there of though.

pbmax
08-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Good, we need someone fast to run after the kickoff and retrieve the kicking tee.

it sounds about 50-50 that Ahman Carroll will be available after the final cut down.