PDA

View Full Version : Falcons name rookie Matt Ryan as starting QB

oregonpackfan
08-24-2008, 11:56 PM
The Atlanta Falcons today named rookie quarterback Matt Ryan as their starting QB.

As a couple of other posters mentioned in another thread, I think this is a terrible mistake and a disservice to Matt Ryan. NFL history is full of examples of talented rookie quarterbacks who had the burden of trying to lead poor quality teams. Often the result was failure for the young QB's and often a stunted NFL career.

Examples of Tim Couch, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, and Ryan Leaf demonstrate that rookie quarterbacks are often set up for failure is they start for poor quality teams. I just hope history does not repeat itself for Matt Ryan.

Falcons pick Ryan as starting QB
5 hours ago
Loading... Must Read?Thank YouYes 64

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) — Rather than give Matt Ryan a few games to watch from the sideline, the Falcons decided on Sunday to throw the rookie into the fire as their starter.

``Everything that you get in this game you've earned, whether it be a touchdown, a win, whatever it is,'' Ryan said. ``In some sense, it is satisfying in that light, but trust me, there's a lot of work ahead, and I know that probably just as much as everybody around here. There's going to be some ups and downs, but you've just got to stay mentally tough and grind through it. That's where my mind-set is right now.

First-year Atlanta coach Mike Smith said the No. 3 pick in the draft outperformed Chris Redman, Joey Harrington and D.J. Shockley on the field and in the classroom. In Smith's view, there was nothing ceremonial about this announcement even though Ryan signed a six-year, $72 million contract in May.

Smith said the staff ``watched every move he made'' in observing Ryan's interaction with teammates and other club personnel. Offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey and Bill Musgrave told Smith that they had watched 3,000 snaps Ryan took in mini-camps, offseason workouts, training camp, scrimmages and preseason.

Though Ryan is a rookie, Smith likes the fact that his quarterback is 23 and spent four seasons in a respected football program at Boston College.

``We feel like he's earned this opportunity to start,'' Smith said. ``We feel like he gives us the best chance to win.''

Smith, who took charge of a team that went 4-12 following Michael Vick's federal prison sentence and Bobby Petrino's abrupt resignation last year, praised Ryan's mature approach to the job.

``Matt is very astute,'' Smith said. ``He's picked up our system. I'll have to keep repeating this, but it's a learning curve for a quarterback in this league. He's going to see some things he hasn't seen before, but I think Matt is the kind of guy who might get fooled once, but the next time it comes up, he's going to be able to handle it. I really anticipate that we won't see the gaffes that a lot of people think.''

Ryan will play the first series or two of the preseason finale Thursday at Baltimore. His performance in a 17-3 exhibition victory last week against Tennessee carried some weight, too, after Ryan completed 15 of 21 passes for 102 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions.

As the Falcons use their last exhibition game as a tuneup for the Sept. 7 season opener against Detroit, Smith indicated that Ryan will not lose the job if he struggles badly in Baltimore.

Smith seemingly gave a lot of significance to the manner in which Ryan handled an interception he threw two weeks ago that Indianapolis' Kelvin Hayden returned for a 67-yard touchdown.

``He just shook it off and said, 'I'm glad I got that one out of the way in the preseason,' `` Smith said. ``He's got a very good outlook about the game of football. He's got a good understanding to play quarterback in this league. He's prepared for it. He's mature beyond his years, and it'll be a great season for him to come in and be out leader.''

Center Todd McClure, who has made 96 straight starts for the Falcons, believes Atlanta's running back tandem of Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood will take pressure off Ryan to succeed mostly with his arm.

``He's going to have his growing pains just like anybody,'' McClure said. ``You look at Peyton Manning in his first year. He struggled. I just hope the fans and the media give this guy a chance. He's not going to go out there and be a Hall of Famer every game this year. He's going to have some mistakes, and we're going to help him out as much as possible.''

Ryan still believes his team can contend in 2008, but he also acknowledges that every young quarterback makes plenty of mistakes at the game's highest level.

``We're going to play against some really good players, and there's really good coaches on other teams as well,'' Ryan said. ``So there's going to be good schemes and sometimes we're not going to be at our best, but you've got to learn from those mistakes and you've got to understand that they're going to happen and you've got to bounce back from them as quickly as you can.''

The Associated Press

MadtownPacker
08-24-2008, 11:58 PM
What the hell else choice do they have.

Tarlam!
08-25-2008, 12:01 AM
I agree with the principle of your comments, OPF. But the guy is being paid a trillion dollars. That's too many dollars to not play.

The whole top 10 rookie pay scheme is outta whack.

Pacopete4
08-25-2008, 01:31 AM
ya that rookie scale is a joke but I think going with Ryan makes sense. I think anytime you draft a player, no matter the position, if he is your best player there.. you let him play and teach him

Tarlam!
08-25-2008, 04:41 AM
I wasn't a real big fan during the Leaf days so I looked what I could find on YT. Seems to me the guy had it coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlCOs2D80Zg&feature=related

sheepshead
08-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Art Blank pulls the stings down there and is a total tool(insert your own joke), thank God we dont have an owner.

Harlan Huckleby
08-25-2008, 12:49 PM
they don't have a lot to lose by taking a small risk at QB. And by all accounts, Matt Ryan is an unusual rookie.

SkinBasket
08-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Something tells me Turner may get his yards this year, but he's going to miss running against guys tired from chasing LT and Gates around the field. It'll be interesting to see how the rookie QB and Turner, so highly acclaimed with relatively little experience get along on one of the worst teams in the league. I'm calling fisticuffs on the sideline before week 10.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Something tells me Turner may get his yards this year, but he's going to miss running against guys tired from chasing LT and Gates around the field. It'll be interesting to see how the rookie QB and Turner, so highly acclaimed with relatively little experience get along on one of the worst teams in the league. I'm calling fisticuffs on the sideline before week 10.

You think guys get more tired from tackling LT and Gates than other players? :roll:

Guiness
08-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Geez, I guess if they truly believe he's the best of the 4 right now, then yes, that might be the best thing to do. Sure is a slam of Redman et. al though.

I've always been against starting rookie QBs though. Maybe there are the rare ones that succeed, but imo Indi was more lucky than anything else that Peyton came out of that first season and grew into the QB he did. I think if he's the best, you throw your second best out there, and let Ryan see what it's all about...

SkinBasket
08-25-2008, 04:23 PM

You think guys get more tired from tackling LT and Gates than other players? :roll:

Play a game of pick-up defending Partial. Then play a game of pick-up defending Tomlinson. Tell us how you feel after each.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2008, 04:28 PM

Play a game of pick-up defending Partial. Then play a game of pick-up defending Tomlinson. Tell us how you feel after each.

You are comparing the rest of the league to Partial. :oops:

SkinBasket
08-25-2008, 04:40 PM

You're redirecting.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2008, 04:46 PM

You're redirecting.

Say what?

Your analogy is so farfetched that...well, it astounds me you would even post it.

SkinBasket
08-25-2008, 05:04 PM

You're redirecting.

Say what?

Your analogy is so farfetched that...well, it astounds me you would even post it.

The hyperbole is necessary to emphasize the point when one refuses to recognize the ordinary. Or is your position that it requires no greater effort to play against more talented players?

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2008, 05:20 PM

You're redirecting.

Say what?

The hyperbole is necessary to emphasize the point when one refuses to recognize the ordinary. Or is your position that it requires no greater effort to play against more talented players?

No greater effort. I think players expend all the effort they can...or if not, then dogging it.

Most of the great plays by star players are made not because of lack of effort on the other team, but because they are superior. No amount of effort changes that.

Poor execution or bad angles are often the reason for big plays and that has nothing to do with effort.

In fact, a case could be made that great players cause the defense to expend less energy...they must not over run, over pursue..stay in their lanes, etc. Because if they don't..then a big play.

retailguy
08-25-2008, 08:31 PM

Threadjack... :roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2008, 08:36 PM

Really? Interesting how you choose to say that to me, rather than the person who first started down the road talking about Turner.

Curious. :roll:

SkinBasket
08-25-2008, 09:20 PM

Really? Interesting how you choose to say that to me, rather than the person who first started down the road talking about Turner.

I think it's because retail and I have such a great relationship built on trust and mutual respect.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2008, 09:21 PM

I think it's because retail and I have such a great relationship built on trust and mutual respect.

I can only hope to reach the level of brotherhood you two have achieved.

Kumbaya.

SkinBasket
08-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Or is your position that it requires no greater effort to play against more talented players?

No greater effort.

Have you ever participated in a sport before? In a competitive manner anyway?

retailguy
08-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Or is your position that it requires no greater effort to play against more talented players?

No greater effort.

He once shut down Darren Charles in high school.

HarveyWallbangers
08-25-2008, 09:27 PM

No greater effort.

Guessing that Bigguns kicked the soccer ball around back in high school.
:D

SkinBasket
08-25-2008, 09:32 PM

No greater effort.

Hey! That's not fair. The Basket of Skin played the football de international on one of the top state teams in high school. It took an immense effort to stay with a player who was more talented. Both mental and physical. It was a position the Basket often found himself in, as he relied more on his athleticism (here, he weeps a little at days gone by) than any particular soccer skill he might have had.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2008, 09:38 PM

No greater effort.

Yes. But, again, to compare myself or anyone else to the best of the best is foolish. And, what separates most isn't the athletic..it is the mental. Perhaps that is why you aren't in the pros.

LT and Gates 40 time isn't dramatically better than anybody else. Neither on is a freak. If speed, etc was the factor..then why isn't moss running free each time. Plenty of faster players than those two.

Every team in the NFL has a back that is capable of putting up numbers. How is that possible if they aren't superior.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2008, 09:39 PM

No greater effort.

Ty didn't kick the soccer ball around...but, nice of you to show your bias.

Guiness
08-25-2008, 09:39 PM
No greater effort. I think players expend all the effort they can...or if not, then dogging it.

Most of the great plays by star players are made not because of lack of effort on the other team, but because they are superior. No amount of effort changes that.

Poor execution or bad angles are often the reason for big plays and that has nothing to do with effort.

In fact, a case could be made that great players cause the defense to expend less energy...they must not over run, over pursue..stay in their lanes, etc. Because if they don't..then a big play.

I can't tell if you believe that, or are just being an argumentative ass. With you, either could be true :roll:

When you play against better players, it absolutely takes more out of you. Mentally and/or physically. Making a tackle and taking a guy down is less demanding and punishing than getting run over. And if you get juked, you gota turn around and chase the SOB. And both of those things are frustrating, leading to stress.

Which is why a D's facing our line and Green in 2003 looked like they'd been hit by a truck by the time the 4th quarter came around. Think those guys looked like that every week?

Guiness
08-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey! That's not fair. The Basket of Skin played the football de international on one of the top state teams in high school. It took an immense effort to stay with a player who was more talented. Both mental and physical. It was a position the Basket often found himself in, as he relied more on his athleticism (here, he weeps a little at days gone by) than any particular soccer skill he might have had.

Looking at my post and yours, looks like we were thinking the same thing.

*shudder* I feel dirty all over. Going to go shower now.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2008, 09:46 PM

I can't tell if you believe that, or are just being an argumentative ass. With you, either could be true :roll:

When you play against better players, it absolutely takes more out of you. Mentally and/or physically. Making a tackle and taking a guy down is less demanding and punishing than getting run over. And if you get juked, you gota turn around and chase the SOB. And both of those things are frustrating, leading to stress.

Which is why a D's facing our line and Green in 2003 looked like they'd been hit by a truck by the time the 4th quarter came around. Think those guys looked like that every week?

I would agree on a level like high school or even college. Sorry, not at the pros.

But, what you are saying is true about tackling/run over..but, LT isn't that type of back. And, skin didn't say that. Very few backs are running over people. And, again, that is also the effect of the line and the fullback.

GB: Um, that is a team effort. Not an individual. You think those D's woulda looked the same with ahman on a crappy team with a crappy offense? Nope. Many factors go into that. Time of possesion, etc.

SkinBasket
08-25-2008, 09:50 PM

No greater effort.

Yes. But, again, to compare myself or anyone else to the best of the best is foolish. And, what separates most isn't the athletic..it is the mental. Perhaps that is why you aren't in the pros.

LT and Gates 40 time isn't dramatically better than anybody else. Neither on is a freak. If speed, etc was the factor..then why isn't moss running free each time. Plenty of faster players than those two.

Every team in the NFL has a back that is capable of putting up numbers. How is that possible if they aren't superior.

So now Gates and Tomlinson are average players based on their 40 time? Good for them they're just average physically, but tough mentally. Partial should be joining them at FB in the next week.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-25-2008, 09:59 PM

No greater effort.

So now Gates and Tomlinson are average players based on their 40 time? Good for them they're just average physically, but tough mentally. Partial should be joining them at FB in the next week.

I didn't say they were average players. I just said that what separated them from the pack wasn't speed.

LT has tremendous vision and takes great angles..which is always a plus. Has decent power..can run thru arm tackles. But, he doesn't have an explosive burst, he is quick. He is pretty tight in the hips..he isn't a shake and bake player.

Gates: he has great hands and knows how to use his body.

Partial: He is tough mentally? :roll:

Zool
08-25-2008, 10:02 PM
I didn't say they were average players. I just said that what separated them from the pack wasn't speed.

LT has tremendous vision and takes great angles..which is always a plus. Has decent power..can run thru arm tackles. But, he doesn't have an explosive burst, he is quick. He is pretty tight in the hips..he isn't a shake and bake player.

Gates: he has great hands and knows how to use his body.

He argues with you till the ends of the earth. He's either mentally tough or a sadist.

Guiness
08-25-2008, 10:03 PM

Of course he is. He once shut down Darren Charles in high school.

Or was that someone else :?:

Guiness
08-25-2008, 11:04 PM

I would agree on a level like high school or even college. Sorry, not at the pros.

But, what you are saying is true about tackling/run over..but, LT isn't that type of back. And, skin didn't say that. Very few backs are running over people. And, again, that is also the effect of the line and the fullback.

Very few backs do run people over anymore. I don't think we've seen much of that since Christian 'The Nigerian Nightmare' Okoye was on the scene. But some backs do punish tacklers more than others. To pick one close to home, we all saw Green levitate an LB at the end of his run.

GB: Um, that is a team effort. Not an individual. You think those D's woulda looked the same with ahman on a crappy team with a crappy offense? Nope. Many factors go into that. Time of possesion, etc.

Right - but the original comment was 'tired from chasing LT and Gates around'. I'd take that to mean dealing with the Chargers as a whole (no one ever bothers to mention the line...). Skin was refering to the fact that Turner was not going to have the benefit of being on their team, and wouldn't be facing beat up D's.

Partial
08-26-2008, 12:43 AM

Most definitely not me. Charles has me by 7 inches and about 4 seconds in the 40. Yes, I run an 8.6

Tarlam!
08-26-2008, 02:05 AM

Most definitely not me. Charles has me by 7 inches and about 4 seconds in the 40. Yes, I run an 8.6

IIRC, that claim was made by Tank.

mission
08-26-2008, 04:04 AM
Listen ---

I live in Atlanta and I hear it all the time:

Err'since Mike Vick, da Falcons aint eh'gon hav a black quaback 'gin ... da'Ryan beau'cu he white, u know!

MOBB DEEP
08-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Listen ---

I live in Atlanta and I hear it all the time:

Err'since Mike Vick, da Falcons aint eh'gon hav a black quaback 'gin ... da'Ryan beau'cu he white, u know!

lol, do atliens really talk to YOU like that?