PDA

View Full Version : BIGEST NFL Offseason Moves (Listed - J.Walker to Bronco's)

woodbuck27
06-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Note: Taken from an 'Indy' Colts standpoint

June 16, 2006

NFL's Busy Offseason
Moves that matter

By Mike Chappell
mike.chappell@indystar.com

RB Edgerrin James from Colts to Arizona.

No longer can the Colts rely on James' consummate talents. He's basking -- or is that baking? -- in the desert heat with his new Cardinals teammates. With James out of the picture, the success of the Colts' running game rests with veteran backup Dominic Rhodes and first-round draft pick Joseph Addai. Rhodes is coming off an uninspired 2005 and has generated only 529 yards since rushing for 1,104 yards and nine touchdowns as a rookie in '01. Addai appears to possess an all-around game, but he never was a full-time starter at LSU.

Date of note: Sept. 10, Colts' season opener at N.Y. Giants. Who's the guy? Rhodes? Addai?

PK Adam Vinatieri from New England to Colts.

It was no surprise when team president Bill Polian made no attempt at re-signing place-kicker Mike Vanderjagt. Enough was enough for both sides. It was a huge surprise Polian was able to replace the most accurate kicker in NFL history with the best clutch kicker in league history. Vinatieri is at his best as the pressure mounts. He has 18 game-winning field goals during his 10-year career, including two that won Super Bowls for the Patriots. If the Colts are finally to find their way to the Super Bowl, there figures to be a critical kick or two along the way.

Date of note: Nov. 5, Vinatieri returns to Foxborough.

WR Terrell Owens (from Philadelphia) and PK Mike Vanderjagt (from Colts) to Dallas.

Even if Bill Parcells has to resort to muzzles, or the threat of bodily harm, to control the loquacious antics of Owens and Vanderjagt, it should be worth it. Owens and Terry Glenn give QB Drew Bledsoe lethal down-field options. Vanderjagt could kick with his left foot and be an upgrade over previous Cowboys kickers. The Cowboys missed the playoffs in '05 despite a 9-7 record, losing three games by three points or fewer. Among the eight field goals missed by Cowboys kickers were a 29-yarder in a 13-10 loss to Seattle and a 34-yarder in a 24-21 overtime loss to Denver.

Date of note: Nov. 19, Colts at Dallas.

QB Daunte Culpepper from Minnesota to Miami.

The Vikings' housecleaning included shipping their injured but potent starting QB to South Florida. The Dolphins gave up a second-round draft pick in the trade, a small price for someone with Culpepper's pedigree. He has been selected to three Pro Bowls and, just two seasons ago, passed for 39 touchdowns and 4,717 yards. There's no guarantee Culpepper's surgically repaired right knee will be ready for Miami's season opener, but he should be in the lineup by the time the Dolphins visit Indy on New Year's Eve. Once he's on the field, look for Culpepper and WR Chris Chambers to form a dynamic duo.

Date of note: Dec. 31, Miami at Colts.

QB Steve McNair from Tennessee to Baltimore.

Out with the old, in with the new. And newer. The Titans' decision to trade McNair, their heart and soul, was a sound business move. But suddenly their most stable position teems with uncertainty. Billy Volek appears to be the immediate successor. He has won three of 10 career starts and has durability issues. Vince Young, the third overall pick in the draft, is the future. How long will it be before coach Jeff Fisher, who might be on the hot seat despite his solid resume, decides the future is now?

Dates of note: Oct. 8, Titans at Colts; Dec. 3, Colts at Titans.

WR Javon Walker from Green Bay to Denver.

The addition of Walker, who forced the Packers to cut their losses and move him, addresses a major need for a team that already was a solid playoff contender. Rod Smith led the Broncos with 85 receptions, 1,105 yards and six touchdowns a year ago, but he's 36. Ashley Lelie continues to frustrate the coaching staff by mixing flashes of brilliance with inconsistency, and might be traded or released. Walker missed the '05 season with a knee injury, but brings Pro Bowl talent to the roster. In '04, he led the Packers with 89 receptions, 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Date of note: Oct. 29, Colts at Broncos.

Copyright 2006 IndyStar.com. All rights reserved

BlueBrewer
06-17-2006, 10:12 PM
F- Walker, I hate him, he is dead to me.

Scott Campbell
06-17-2006, 11:29 PM
F- Walker, I hate him, he is dead to me.

I'm not proud of it, but when I heard about Big Ben's cycle accident, my first thought was "why couldn't it have been Javon".