PDA

View Full Version : Chat with Mike Holbrook (Pro Football Weekly)

gureski
04-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Rick (Milwaukee, WI): If the Packers were to look for an interior O-lineman (to start this year) with their 2nd round pick...who do you think they'd consider?

Mike Holbrook: (3:52 PM ET ) Rick: The top interior O-linemen on the board when the Packers pick at No. 36 are likely to be Georgia OG Max Jean-Gilles, USC OG Deuce Lutui and Oklahoma C Chris Chester. Chester may intrigue the Packers most since he is a former tight end and a great athlete who is still learning the position and has the most upside.

Here is the rest of the chat as it was listed....

(Indiana): what is denver doing w/ their 2 picks?

Mike Holbrook: (3:03 PM ET ) D: Our draft expert, Nolan Nawrocki, has the Broncos selected WR Chad Jackson out of Florida with the 15th overall pick, then grabbing RB Laurence Maroney from Minnesota with the 22nd pick. I definitely think they'll be looking to get one of the two WRs (Jackson or Santonio Holmes) who will likely go in the first round. And if a talented runner like Maroney, a true home-run threat, is still available at No. 22, they'll be thrilled to grab him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MARVIN LEWIS (OHIO): Now that I picked up Sam adams in FA, who do I take in the first round?

Mike Holbrook: (3:05 PM ET ) Marvin: We've got the Bengals grabbing Ohio State C Nick Mangold, clearly the top center in the draft and a guy they could bring in to take over for aging Rich Braham.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan (Myrtle Beaceh, SC): A lot of mock drafts had Carolina picking LenDale White, after his less than impressive pro-day do you think the Panthers will take Maroney instead?

Mike Holbrook: (3:09 PM ET ) Dan: White did not help himself by not running at either the Combine or USC's pro day. He also has character issues and questions about his work ethic after putting on several pounds this offseason. That being said, he's a gamer and a guy who is a load to tackle. I'm sure he has dropped on many teams' draft board but all it takes is one team to fall in love with his potential. It wouldn't surprise me if that team is Carolina since he would be a perfect complement to DeShaun Foster.

chauncey (teaneck): Who will be the Gians first pick?

Mike Holbrook: (3:11 PM ET ) Chauncey: It appears as if the team has addressed its DB needs adequately enough via free agency, so look for the Jints to bolster their LB corps by grabbing one of the solid LB prospects in this draft. We've got Alabama's DeMeco Ryans going to them at No. 25, but Miami's Rocky McIntosh or Ohio State's Bobby Carpenter (son of ex-Giants RB Rob Carpenter) could also come off the board there.

Lori (Texas): do you think the colts might trade up for a rb?

Mike Holbrook: (3:14 PM ET ) Lori: The word we've been hearing is that the Colts are satisfied with their RB situation with Dominic Rhodes and James Mungro and might look elsewhere with their first-round pick. If Mangold or Oklahoma OG Davin Joseph are still available, the Colts might go in that direction. However, I have a feeling the Colts are putting out a smokescreen and secretly hoping that Maroney or Memphis RB DeAngelo Williams fall to them at No. 30 - both would be adequate replacements for Edge.

LJ (Clinton, NY): How are the Cowboys this year with T.O.

Mike Holbrook: (3:16 PM ET ) LJ: I really think T.O. will be great for the Boys this year, just as I predicted he would be great for the Eagles his first year in Philly. He has a lot to prove and, with the Cowboys' tradition and notoriety, he'll be the center of the NFL universe as long as he's helping the team win. They clearly needed a go-to, physical receiver for third downs and over the middle. I really think the Owens-Terry Glenn combo could be one of the league's best in 2006. Dallas appears to be a playoff team for sure.

Ryan (Maple Grove): Do you like the prospects of Schaub in a Vikings uniform this year? Or would you rather see them trade up for a QB?

Mike Holbrook: (3:20 PM ET ) Ryan: The Vikes have plenty of draft picks to deal to the Falcons for Schaub, so that appears to be a great landing spot for him. We've heard that they also are very interested in trading up for one of the top three QBs. It sure sounds like Atlanta would like to get back into the first round after trading their pick to the Broncos but Schaub won't command that high of a pick. If Minnesota can't package their first- and second-round picks for a shot at Leinart, Young or Cutler, I wouldn't be surprised if they go after Schaub on or near Draft Day.

walter - ames,ia: will there be anymore big free agent moves, or are things basically oveR?

Mike Holbrook: (3:22 PM ET ) Walter: Things are certainly dying down on the free-agent front. The top players left are LB LaVar Arrington, CB Charles Woodson and CB Ty Law. All three are talented but may be pricing themselves out of most teams' range. The biggest problem with Law and Woodson is that they are likely going to have to switch to safety and want to be paid as top corners.

Steve (NYC): If the Browns pick up Ngata in the first round, would he rotate with Ted Washington at the nose, or would they use him outside, opposite Roye?

Mike Holbrook: (3:23 PM ET ) Steve: Ngata is strictly an inside guy and would be groomed to take over for Washington in a year or two. Rotating them would be a great way to maximize their effectiveness. Both players are run-stuffers that fit great in the Browns' defensive scheme.

Brennan Syllivan (New York): Who do you think the Bills will pick in the first round?

Mike Holbrook: (3:25 PM ET ) Brennan: The Bills have had a strange offseason and really need a strong showing in this draft to fill some gaping holes that haven't been addressed adequately. We've got them selecting Texas CB-FS Michael Huff at No. 8, which would be a solid pick since he can play either position and would be a big boost to an iffy secondary.

Christian (Philadelphia): Hey Mike, Will Justice still be there for the Eagles at 14? If not who do you see them taking. I'd love for them to pick up DeAngelo Williams since Westbrook cannot handle 20-25 carries a game and remain healthy.

Mike Holbrook: (3:28 PM ET ) Christian: I think the Eagles would love for Justice to be there for them, though his great Pro Day workout certainly didn't help their cause. We've got Justice going to the Ravens one pick before the Eagles at No. 13 with the thought that Jon Ogden is getting older and Baltimore would love to groom Justice for a year or two and make a seamless transition. If Philly can't get Justice, they'll likely turn to defense and try to boost a LB corps that lacks big-time talent. Florida State's Ernie Sims or Iowa's Chad Greenway would be great picks for Philly at No. 14.

Kurtis (Chicago): Is Dee Webb from Florida going to be a steal in the second round. He has the experience and speed to play the game right.

Mike Holbrook: (3:31 PM ET ) Kurtis: Webb definitely has great ability, however, a gun incident this offseason and questions about his character could drop him on teams' boards. He could turn out to be a steal or be a bust. He's got great speed but bites on double-moves and gets beaten deep a lot. I love his belief in himself and ability to shake off a bad play - important qualities for an NFL corner. It's really going to come down to him going to a team that teaches him proper technique and gets through to him.

David (Michigan): Some mock drafts have Michael Huff going before the Lions pick. If he isn't available, who will the Lions go with at #9?

Mike Holbrook: (3:32 PM ET ) David: We are one of those mock drafts - we've got Huff going to the Bills at No. 8 and the Lions grabbing Florida State DT Brodrick Bunkley at No. 9. The Bills could still pick Bunkley, too, with a need at DT, but either way, the Lions will be getting a top athlete for their rebuilt defense. Bunkley is a great fit for Rod Marinelli's scheme that looks for penetrating tackles that can get upfield. Bunkley certainly can do that.

Steve (Ft. Lauderdale): Is Javon Walker going to swallow his pride and Drew Rosenhaus's tongue and report to camp? A talented player coming off a season-ending injury really wouldn't jeopardize his future by sitting out almost 2 years would he?

Mike Holbrook: (3:35 PM ET ) Steve: I really don't see Walker going back to Green Bay. He's made his position known - much like Adewale Ogunleye did with the Dolphins a couple years ago. Look for a trade to eventually be worked out for him. Depending on how desperate the Packers are to get additional draft picks this year, it wouldn't surprise me if they held onto Walker until training camp and worked a trade with a team that was even more desperate in need of a wideout with the season fast approaching (just like Bears were for Ogunleye, who was traded in late August, 2004). The Pack isn't in any rush to trade Walker, so they can pick and choose the best deal for him.

Eric, CA: What do you think the 49ers will do with their 6th pick? Is Vernon Davis the pick?

Mike Holbrook: (3:37 PM ET ) Eric: I think Davis is a perfect fit for an offense that needs to add playmakers. The opportunity to get a player with rare talent like Davis (who some scouts rate higher than Kellen Winslow when he was coming out of Miami) is too tempting to pass up.

John (Buffalo): Hey Mike....the trade for Moulds just took place with houston - any idea if they got a 4th or 5th round pick????

Mike Holbrook: (3:40 PM ET ) John: Haven't heard for sure whether it was a fourth- or fifth-rounder. Good deal for the Texans, though, since they've finally gotten the complementary receiver for Andre Johnson that they've lacked. Add Reggie Bush to the mix and Gary Kubiak has all the makings of an explosive offense. Meanwhile, the Bills desperately need a physical wideout that can line up opposite Lee Evans. Roscoe Parrish and Andre Davis do not fit that description.

John (Kansas): IS THIS THE CHIEFS YEAR?

Mike Holbrook: (3:41 PM ET ) John: I picked the Chiefs to beat the Seahawks last year, thinking that K.C.'s veteran corps was going to make one big, final push for Vermeil. Didn't happen. I'm just afraid that veteran corps is awfully old and could start breaking down this year. Trent Green's 36, Will Shields and Willie Roaf are getting up there and the defense still has some big holes to fill. So, my answer this year is no.

barry (ann arbor): no jets questions so far? what do you predict they do with their pick?

Mike Holbrook: (3:44 PM ET ) Barry: We've got the Jets taking Virginia OLT D'Brickashaw Ferguson with the No. 4 pick. I just don't see them trading up to get Matt Leinart, as has been rumored by many outlets, unless they really believe he's going to be a great player. Many teams have a second- or third-round grade on him and expect him to be good, not great. The Jets have too many needs at several positions, so trading multiple draft picks in order to move up a couple of spots doesn't make sense. Sounds like they've cooled a bit on Jay Cutler. Ferguson is the safest pick and fills a HUGE need for them and their rebuilt O-line.

Mike (Boston): Where do the Pats go with there pick?

Mike Holbrook: (3:47 PM ET ) Mike: We've got New England grabbing CB Tye Hill out of Clemson with their pick at No. 21. Hill is undersized but exceptionally fast and fits their style in the mold of Tyrone Poole or Ellis Hobbs. He was considered by the wide receivers at the Senior Bowl to be the toughest DB to shake. If the Pats don't go that direction, they could take a running back with Corey Dillon showing his age.

Christopher (Phoenix): This draft has been tapped as one of the deepest in the last 10-15 years, agree?

Mike Holbrook: (3:49 PM ET ) Christopher: There is great depth at a number of positions. There are only about 12-15 players with first-round grades (not uncommon) so the real value in this draft will come later in the first day and on the second day. The top organizations with the best scouts will be at a great advantage this year.

Rick (Milwaukee, WI): If the Packers were to look for an interior O-lineman (to start this year) with their 2nd round pick...who do you think they'd consider?

Mike Holbrook: (3:52 PM ET ) Rick: The top interior O-linemen on the board when the Packers pick at No. 36 are likely to be Georgia OG Max Jean-Gilles, USC OG Deuce Lutui and Oklahoma C Chris Chester. Chester may intrigue the Packers most since he is a former tight end and a great athlete who is still learning the position and has the most upside.

Ragnar (Oklahoma): common Mike!! ya got to give me your opinion on my previous question. please don't tell me the Vikings won't give up a 1st for shaub

Mike Holbrook: (3:53 PM ET ) Ragnar: I don't think they would, but if Brad Childress is convinced Schaub's better than one of the top QBs in this draft, it wouldn't surprise me. They have said time and again that they are going to acquire their QB of the future in this draft one way or another.

Dru (pittsburgh): do you think since white slipped the steelers should make a move to get him or should they go with moss? white could be the next bus in my opinion?

Mike Holbrook: (3:54 PM ET ) Dru: If LenDale White is still on the board when the Steelers pick it will be awfully tempting for them. He's the perfect replacement for The Bus - I agree with you.

Jason (Jacksonville): What do you see the Jaguars doing with their first pick?

Mike Holbrook: (3:57 PM ET ) Jason: We've got the Jaguars rolling the dice a bit to take Florida State CB Antonio Cromartie at No. 28. He didn't play last year after tearing up his knee but impressed many with his performance at the Combine and his Pro Day. I think the Jaguars will definitely address the DB position at the end of the first round and there will be some good players available.

Jared (Miami, FL): Mcintosh re-signs, is it a good move by the dolphins?

Mike Holbrook: (3:57 PM ET ) Jared: Sure. They've got excellent depth at the OT position now with a proven starter in reserve. They really like youngster Anthony Alabi, but he's not ready to be the top backup just yet.

patrick (St. Louis): wHAT DO YOU THINK THE rAMS WILL DO AT #11?

Mike Holbrook: (3:59 PM ET ) Patrick: We've got the Rams taking CB-FS Jason Allen out of Tennessee with their first pick. After losing Archuleta there's a need at DB and Allen has impressed many this offseason, his biggest concern is durability.

kenny: if denver trades for jwalker, do they pick up a wr in draft ??

Mike Holbrook: (4:00 PM ET ) Kenny: If they trade for Walker, they'll probably go a different direction and concentrate on RB, the O-line and maybe even safety.

Aaron PHX: Beware of the Bird!!! Tell me the Cards are going Defense at 10. Or will they get Justice from U$C?

Mike Holbrook: (4:02 PM ET ) Aaron: We've got the Cardinals taking their QB of the future at No. 10 in Jay Cutler out of Vandy. I really believe Denny Green wants to get a young quarterback to groom behind Warner (and possibly play a bit based on Warner's injury history). Justice could be awfully tempting too, especially if all three QBs are gone by the time they pick.

Mike Holbrook: (4:03 PM ET ) Thanks very much everyone. Great questions (as always). Hope you have a great week. Check out our annual draft book - you can order online at www.profootballweekly.com

HarveyWallbangers
04-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Mike Holbrook: (3:20 PM ET ) Ryan: The Vikes have plenty of draft picks to deal to the Falcons for Schaub, so that appears to be a great landing spot for him. We've heard that they also are very interested in trading up for one of the top three QBs. It sure sounds like Atlanta would like to get back into the first round after trading their pick to the Broncos but Schaub won't command that high of a pick. If Minnesota can't package their first- and second-round picks for a shot at Leinart, Young or Cutler, I wouldn't be surprised if they go after Schaub on or near Draft Day.

I don't know. I could see the Falcons getting a first round pick for Schaub. If the Vikings got him for a 2nd round pick, that would make me pissed. We could have drafted Odell Thurman last year and gotten Matt Schaub in the second round this year. I like Schaub as much as Aaron Rodgers, and Thurman is likely better than any player that we'd get in round 2 this year.

packrulz
04-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Mike Holbrook: (3:44 PM ET ) Barry: We've got the Jets taking Virginia OLT D'Brickashaw Ferguson with the No. 4 pick. I just don't see them trading up to get Matt Leinart, as has been rumored by many outlets, unless they really believe he's going to be a great player. Many teams have a second- or third-round grade on him and expect him to be good, not great. The Jets have too many needs at several positions, so trading multiple draft picks in order to move up a couple of spots doesn't make sense. Sounds like they've cooled a bit on Jay Cutler. Ferguson is the safest pick and fills a HUGE need for them and their rebuilt O-line.
2nd or 3rd round grade on Leinart? Wow.

billy_oliver880
04-04-2006, 04:19 PM
If leinart is grading out that poorly...then what are the rest of the qbs grading out at???? :shock: