PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers QB Rating

Packgator
08-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Aaron Rodgers QB Rating through three pre-season games is 92.3 which ranks him 6th in the league. There are some strange names on the list for all the obvious pre-season reasons. Don't know how much it means but there are a lot worse places to be on that list other than 6th.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats;jsessionid=1AB68C4F64DB76D47FC923FB8 7E7D20E?season=2008&seasonType=PRE&d-447263-o=2&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_PASSER_RATING&d-447263-n=1

Brohm
08-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Rodgers has always had a good % completion rate going back to college. My concern is getting into the endzone as opposed to taking the 3. Hopefully Grant can amp up the running game a bit to keep D's honest.

The Leaper
08-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Yeah...but that 7 in the sacks column stands out like a sore thumb.

bobblehead
08-26-2008, 02:32 PM
QB rating is useless. show me a QB who converts 3rd and 5, show me a guy who gets it into the endzone once we acheive the redzone, show me a guy who doesnt' turn it over and that is how I judge a QB. Favre was one of the best at the first 2, not so good at the third, thus he was exceptional, just short of all time greatness (my opinion). If Arod can be good at 2 of three he will be damn good.

MOBB DEEP
08-26-2008, 02:41 PM
pretty impressive

LL2
08-26-2008, 02:50 PM

Yes, but the OL has to protect him better.

PackerBlues
08-26-2008, 02:56 PM
QB rating is useless. show me a QB who converts 3rd and 5, show me a guy who gets it into the endzone once we acheive the redzone, show me a guy who doesnt' turn it over and that is how I judge a QB. Favre was one of the best at the first 2, not so good at the third, thus he was exceptional, just short of all time greatness (my opinion). If Arod can be good at 2 of three he will be damn good.

I suppose if ignorance is bliss, you must be one of the most "blissfull" chumps on the planet.

Time and again, ignorant bastards such as you, point at Favre's interception record as if it were something to be ashamed of. Nevermind that it took Favre THREE TIMES AS MANY PASSING ATTEMPTS as the previous record holder to take the record.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/110507/brett_favre_nearing_nfl_career_interception.html?c at=14

a few things from this article:

"The key to breaking a career record, good or bad, is you need to be around long enough to break it. The average career of an NFL player, according to the NFL player's association, is four seasons."

"Of the other four quarterbacks ranked in the top five on the career interception list, three are in the NFL Hall of Fame. And, fans shouldn't be surprised about that. After all, the only players that are going to be on this list are the good players. That's because if a quarterback is lousy, they aren't going to be playing long enough to challenge for this title. Teams want to win and don't forgive mistakes easily."

If anything, if Favre returns next season and does break the interception mark, he should wear it as a badge of honor. Being the all-time leader in that category is basically saying "I'm so good; I can make mistakes and still keep my job."

If Arod can be good at 2 of three he will be damn good.

Yeah, and if he ever plays long enough for the third, he will be one of the greatest.

Chevelle2
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM

I suppose if ignorance is bliss, you must be one of the most "blissfull" chumps on the planet.

Time and again, ignorant bastards such as you, point at Favre's interception record as if it were something to be ashamed of. Nevermind that it took Favre THREE TIMES AS MANY PASSING ATTEMPTS as the previous record holder to take the record.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/110507/brett_favre_nearing_nfl_career_interception.html?c at=14

"The key to breaking a career record, good or bad, is you need to be around long enough to break it. The average career of an NFL player, according to the NFL player's association, is four seasons."

"Of the other four quarterbacks ranked in the top five on the career interception list, three are in the NFL Hall of Fame. And, fans shouldn't be surprised about that. After all, the only players that are going to be on this list are the good players. That's because if a quarterback is lousy, they aren't going to be playing long enough to challenge for this title. Teams want to win and don't forgive mistakes easily."

If anything, if Favre returns next season and does break the interception mark, he should wear it as a badge of honor. Being the all-time leader in that category is basically saying "I'm so good; I can make mistakes and still keep my job."

Yeah, and if he ever plays long enough for the third, he will be one of the greatest.

We aren't looking for Rodgers to set records. I would trade all of Favres records for a few more SBs.

]{ilr]3
08-26-2008, 04:58 PM
I have a bet with one of my Steelers fan friends that A-Rod will have a higher Passer Rating than Big Ben at the end of the season.

Me=$1 richer :alc:

Scott Campbell
08-26-2008, 05:11 PM
QB rating is useless. show me a QB who converts 3rd and 5, show me a guy who gets it into the endzone once we acheive the redzone, show me a guy who doesnt' turn it over and that is how I judge a QB.

I don't buy your "QB rating is useless" argument, but I'll concede the point if you can do a couple of things for me:

1) Show me a crappy QB that led the league in QB rating over 1 year.
2) Show me a great QB that trailed the league in QB rating over 1 year.

bobblehead
08-26-2008, 05:14 PM

Thanx for the name calling and logical well thought out arguement, didn't I say favre was exceptional?? If you are saying he doesn't turn the ball over too much, well.....

Anyway, try to check the emotion at the door next time you respond to me so you don't sound like an assclown.

That out of the way I agree with everything you said that wasn't an insult to me, what did I say to make you think I wouldn't? I was complementing favre not insulting him....but an idiot probably couldn't see that.

ThunderDan
08-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Nice post bobblehead. It still amazes me how much the Favre lovers will do to defend him even when you are praising him.

I'll put it out right here. I wish Favre was still our QB this year. He played exceptionally well in 2007.

That being said I think he handled his side of the deal like a complete ass and I am know why the Packers had to remove him from the team. ARod is our QB and I think we are going to have a very interesting year.

There are going to be a lot of ups and downs. But for the organization ARod was the "right" pick this year. I remember the teams from the 70s and 80s and hope we don't sink to that level again.

I have faith that TT has once again stocked the shelves in GB with quality players with good depth.

bobblehead
08-26-2008, 10:50 PM
QB rating is useless. show me a QB who converts 3rd and 5, show me a guy who gets it into the endzone once we acheive the redzone, show me a guy who doesnt' turn it over and that is how I judge a QB.

I don't buy your "QB rating is useless" argument, but I'll concede the point if you can do a couple of things for me:

Without doing a ton of research I believe Danny White was the all time leader in QB rating at one point in his career (after several seasons).

I admit I may have overstated "useless". It has some limited uses, but that rating is dependent on what type offense a team runs, what is asked of you ect ect. Elway had a piss poor QB rating thru the early part of his career.

elway: 5 super bowls, 2 wins career QB rating: 80.0

Danny White: 0 super bowls career QB rating 81.7

Useless might be an overstatement, but not quite accurate assessment is pretty fair.

bobblehead
08-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Ok, quick google noted that as of the end of 2004, aaron brooks was number 22 all time QB rated....ahead of....

Aikeman
Moon
Star
tarkenton
fouts
elway

And I didn't feel like looking further, but you get my point.

PS, Kurt warner was the all time leader in QB rating at that point in time.

boiga
08-26-2008, 11:06 PM
The problem with QB rating is that is emphasizes completions and not 1st downs or progress down the field. It also does not take into account drops or the quality of the competition.

As such, it's pretty useless. Winning QB's tend to have high QB ratings, but having a high rating makes an accurate, but not necessarily winning passer.

Guiness
08-26-2008, 11:06 PM

Didn't Jeff George have the top, or near top rating during his good year in Oakland?

He qualifies as crappy in my book :lol:

Partial
08-26-2008, 11:30 PM

Not really. We've been spoiled with Favre. I'd say 2 sacks a game is pretty average. Then again, he played what, 5 quarters total so far?

BallHawk
08-26-2008, 11:43 PM

Not really. We've been spoiled with Favre. I'd say 2 sacks a game is pretty average. Then again, he played what, 5 quarters total so far?

Albeit against two top defenses (Dallas and New England)

Tarlam!
08-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Nice comeback from Bobblehead to that attack, which I found appalling from a content side as well as the superfluous name calling.

Classy post Bobble.

The Leaper
08-27-2008, 08:29 AM

Look at the other QBs in the listing Partial. Very few have taken more than 2 sacks to this point...especially STARTING QBs. Those that have are all very young, inexperienced guys. I don't put Rodgers in that category.

Giving up 7 sacks in the preseason to your starter is ALARMING in my book.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2008, 09:48 AM

I wouldn't worry about it--unless it happens in the regular season. It's hard to say if a team is prepared properly for it in the preseason. In the regular season, you better be, but it's not unusual for it to be a problem in the preseason. Look at our preseason game vs. San Diego two years ago, and our preseason games vs. Pittsburgh and Seattle last year. We beat Seattle 48-13 or something--mainly because we sacked them into oblivion. They weren't prepared for Atari Bigby blitzing numerous times.

bobblehead
08-27-2008, 03:07 PM

Look at the other QBs in the listing Partial. Very few have taken more than 2 sacks to this point...especially STARTING QBs. Those that have are all very young, inexperienced guys. I don't put Rodgers in that category.

I agree, holding the ball too long is always a problem with first year starters, hopefully it doesn't become a long term problem.

SnakeLH2006
08-28-2008, 12:27 AM

Not so much....I remember doing a QB rating formula presentation in an advanced Calc. class. Don't have the numbers right now, but the QB's with the best ratings dominated playoff teams. The QB's with the worst ratings dominated the worst teams. It is a useful statistic. I'm happy if Arod plays healthy the whole year with an 80 rating which means 10 wins on a deep team such as ours.

Sacks come into play and wish they put that into the rating (not so much as what that guy does, but to show team levels of sack %)....The highest sacked guys don't do well either. My 2004 Calculus speech went back into 20 years of NFL QB history showing statistical analysis. The QB's with the best ratings/lowest sack %'s did the best. We gotta hope Arod holds the ship steady and doesn't get sacked more than 30 times and has a 80-90 QB rating to be a contender (I'm not even considering the rookie QB's we got, cuz if Arod goes down, so does our season).

QB rating and sack % is a HUGE stat showing team/playoff success based on trends in the NFL over the past 20 years. Oh ya, got an A on that presentation...Dilfer is an abberration in NFL playoff statistical lore.