PDA

View Full Version : GPS help

Little Whiskey
08-26-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a GPS unit. portable not the indash type. anybody have thoughts or ideas on them? I'm looking in the $200 range. I'm looking real hard at the Magellan 1412 or the TomTom one 130S. any opinions?

Partial
08-26-2008, 10:00 PM
When did people become so lazy that they need these? Not ripping on you, but I cannot comprehend the reason these things sell..

Bretsky
08-26-2008, 10:03 PM
When did people become so lazy that they need these? Not ripping on you, but I cannot comprehend the reason these things sell..

People get lost; maps suck. We are in a world of laziness. Use to write sincere letters to our family and friends; now we forward cheezy emails or drop notes. It's a world of convenience. Those are no better or worse than all the other changes

Little Whiskey
08-26-2008, 10:14 PM

my job puts me on the road 90% of the day.

I bet they used to say that about the first car.

GBRulz
08-26-2008, 10:18 PM

Obviously you don't travel. They aren't just about getting from point A to point B, but when you're on the road a lot and are looking for restaurants, gas, lodging, weather reports, traffic updates, etc...they are very handy.

Once you have one, you'll never want to go without one.

I've gone through a few GPS's and personally, I like Garmin the best.

Scott Campbell
08-26-2008, 10:26 PM

Obviously you don't travel. They aren't just about getting from point A to point B, but when you're on the road a lot and are looking for restaurants, gas, lodging, weather reports, traffic updates, etc...they are very handy.

Once you have one, you'll never want to go without one.

I've gone through a few GPS's and personally, I like Garmin the best.

Me too on the Garmin. I especially like the sexy Aussie girl giving me directions.

Though now you're seeing them converge onto cell phones. At some point I expect they'll be as robust as stand alone units. But not yet.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-26-2008, 10:26 PM

Try and imagine we all dont' live your life. We dont' just get up, go to school and then go to work and then back home. With some variation..gym, eating, drinking.

Some of us drive extensively. Some us go from one appointment to the next. Some of us drive in sections of town that we are unfamiliar with. Some of us like being efficient. It has nothing to do with laziness.

Your question is akin to my parents 10 years ago wondering why anybody needed a cell phone..and if they did, only for emergencies.

GBRulz
08-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Your question is akin to my parents 10 years ago wondering why anybody needed a cell phone..and if they did, only for emergencies.

and my question today as to why 8 year olds need a cell phone!!

Tyrone Bigguns
08-26-2008, 10:51 PM

Really? I don't see that. 8 years don't need a phone.

My parents couldn't fathom when i got a cell phone and dropped my landline..couldn't understand why anybody needed a phone besides the one at home. I still remember them preaching that the cell companies would kill you on the minutes. they were boggled when I called them all the time at nite or weekends (free calls on sprint).

Cell phones have changed how we do things for adults. Remember having to look for a payphone. They aren't easy to find these days.

GBRulz
08-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Me too on the Garmin. I especially like the sexy Aussie girl giving me directions.

Though now you're seeing them converge onto cell phones. At some point I expect they'll be as robust as stand alone units. But not yet.

I'm probably "old school" when it comes to my cell phone. I don't want my iPod combined with it. I don't need it for internet. I just want to talk n' text! In fact, I have an HTC Touch sitting in my drawer, used it about 2 mos and replaced it with the LG Scoop!

GBRulz
08-26-2008, 10:53 PM

Really? I don't see that. 8 years don't need a phone.

My parents couldn't fathom when i got a cell phone and dropped my landline..couldn't understand why anybody needed a phone besides the one at home. I still remember them preaching that the cell companies would kill you on the minutes. they were boggled when I called them all the time at nite or weekends (free calls on sprint).

Cell phones have changed how we do things for adults. Remember having to look for a payphone. They aren't easy to find these days.

Maybe that came out wrong. I also don't think 8 year olds don't need cell phones, but plenty of parents do. I don't get why.

GrnBay007
08-26-2008, 11:00 PM

I was sold on them this summer. Going to my son's baseball games in other cities and going to a family wedding in Michigan. Never got lost once.....that was a first!!! :D

GrnBay007
08-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Maybe that came out wrong. I also don't think 8 year olds don't need cell phones, but plenty of parents do. I don't get why.

8 is pretty young. I never thought my kids should have one until jr. high when I found practices would let out early and stuff. Then it's nice so they aren't just hanging around waiting for rides or if they are walking home...for safety/emergency purposes I feel better. 12 and 13 were when they got theirs.

Freak Out
08-27-2008, 12:11 AM

I like a compass and radar but I want a GPS when the weather is getting shitty around Kodiak.

hurleyfan
08-27-2008, 06:48 AM
So Little Whiskey, to reply to your original request...

I bought a Garmin 260W Nuvi... Paid around $260.00 I think

I used a friends TomTom, don't know what model it was, and it was ok. But it was not portable like the Garmin.

The 260W is a widescreen, has plenty of pre loaded destinations, gives you turn by turn instructions, and real good battery life. Nice touch screen and pretty simple to use.

Sometimes it has trouble locating a satellite, bit I imagine all GPS units could struggle with that once in a while..

Scott Campbell
08-27-2008, 06:51 PM

I'm probably "old school" when it comes to my cell phone. I don't want my iPod combined with it. I don't need it for internet. I just want to talk n' text! In fact, I have an HTC Touch sitting in my drawer, used it about 2 mos and replaced it with the LG Scoop!

Have you bought any of the map upgrades yet? I'm wondering if they're worth it, or if it's something I should do every other year for now.

MadtownPacker
08-27-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a GPS unit. portable not the indash type. anybody have thoughts or ideas on them? I'm looking in the $200 range. I'm looking real hard at the Magellan 1412 or the TomTom one 130S. any opinions?Whats a matter? Can't remember where the moonshine shed is?

Little Whiskey
08-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Whats a matter? Can't remember where the moonshine shed is?

Its plural. sheds all over the country. demand is high for my "ethenol" so I need to send my other delivery trucks.

FYI, I ordered a Magellan 1412 from crutchfield.com they pay for shipping and tax with a sell price of 199. I stopped at the local bestbuy and they wouldn't budge. I guess they don't match online competitors, even tho they attempt to compete online?