PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Players on the Pack

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2008, 05:45 PM
According to ESPN's Scouts.inc:

1. DE Aaron Kampman (Grade 86)

He is a three-down player who aligns inside and outside in pass-rush situations. He is a blue-collar type who plays with an outstanding motor. He can be very disruptive when attacking upfield gaps.

2. CB Charles Woodson (81)

He's a competitive player with toughness. He has fluid hips and quick feet that make him smooth in transition. He is more natural from a press than from an off position and has good man-to-man cover skills. He relies on his instincts and can be aggressive at times when jumping routes.

3. LB Nick Barnett (79)

He is the quarterback of the Packers' defense. He is a smart, instinctive player with good athletic skills. Barnett is a solid three-down linebacker who continues to take his game to another level.

4. LB AJ Hawk (78)

He has a solid combination of size, speed and athletic skills for the position. He's an assignment-sure linebacker and is as reliable a tackler as there is. He is also a productive player with good range in coverage.

5. WR Greg Jennings (78)

He is a versatile player who can align in multiple spots in the Packers' spread offense. Jennings is a very productive player with enough size to be a big-time threat in the red zone.

6 WR Donald Driver (76)
7 OT Chad Clifton (75)
8 CB Al Harris (74)
9 DE Cullen Jenkins (71)
10 RB Ryan Grant (68)

I can't see Jenkins ahead of Grant, Ryan Pickett (67) and Mark Tauscher (65). Aaron Rodgers got the 13th highest rating (66).

packers11
08-27-2008, 05:54 PM
How do the rankings go... Is it out of 100???

If so , ESPN is full of crap. This team did make it to the NFC Championship game last year.

texaspackerbacker
08-27-2008, 06:30 PM
If this is based on last year--not projected for this year, Grant has to be #1.

I have a lot of respect for Kampman, but Barnett is a better player. I also would find a place in the top ten for Bigby, and I would still rate Driver at least equal with Jennings.

Jenkins has potential, but he's nowhere near top ten material based on last year or past performance in general.

If they are projecting to this season, that really makes it subjective. Grant still has to be #1, though, with Rodgers way up there too.

Harlan Huckleby
08-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Grant has only played in 10 pro games in his entire life!

Scott Campbell
08-27-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm with Tex on this one. Grant is the best player on the team.

But I'd rate Woodson and Kampman pretty close.

Scott Campbell
08-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Grant has only played in 10 pro games in his entire life!

AP's played ~14?

I know what I saw.

DonHutson
08-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Here's some context to put the numbers in perspective. They consider rankings in the 90's to be 'elite', 80's 'outstanding', and 70's a solid starter.

Vikes top 5:

1. Kevin Williams Defensive tackle (Rating 92)

2. Steve Hutchinson Left guard (91)

3. Jared Allen Defensive end (89)

4. Adrian Peterson Running back (89)

5. Pat Williams Defensive tackle (86)

Lions top 5:

1. Roy Williams Wide receiver (Grade 79)

2. Cory Redding Defensive tackle (78)

3. Ernie Sims Linebacker (77)

4. Leigh Bodden Cornerback (75)

5. Calvin Johnson Wide receiver (75)

Bears top 5:

1. Tommie Harris Defensive tackle (Grade 88)

2. Brian Urlacher Linebacker (86)

3. Lance Briggs Linebacker (82)

4. Devin Hester Kick returner (82)

5. Olin Kreutz Center (77)

I can't argue too much with any of it. It would be interesting to follow the numbers all the way down the roster. While Green Bay might have fewer upper echelon guys, I would think the entire starting lineup and many of the backups should be in the solid starter category. No one else in the division can match that depth. Add in that nobody else in the division should have a QB that scores over 70 (and the Bears might not break 60). I'd also take our coaching staff over any other in the division by a wide margin.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Scale

100-90 - Elite Player
89-80 - Outstanding Player
79-75 - Solid Starter
74-70 - Good Starter
69-65 - Adequate Starter
64-60 - Good Backup

Kind of strange. I think they might have mixed up Solid Starter and Good Starter. Good starter seems like it should be higher than Solid Starter.

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2008, 07:19 PM
There are so many flaws it's not even funny. Junius Coston is rated 65--the same as KGB and Mark Tauscher. Atari Bigby is rated below Nick Collins... and Colin Cole. Brady Poppinga is rated significantly lower than Brandon Chillar.

Ryan Grant is ranked as the 29th best RB.
Donald Lee is ranked as the 43rd best TE.
Mark Tauscher is ranked as the 43rd best OT.
Ryan Pickett is ranked as the 25th best DT. Johnny Jolly is 60th.
Al Harris is ranked as the 22nd best CB.

Mike McCarthy must be one hell of a coach. Either that or Brett was truly a one man team.

BF4MVP
08-27-2008, 07:42 PM
I think that all Rodgers needs is playing time before he's at or near the top of that list..

BF4MVP
08-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Mike McCarthy must be one hell of a coach. Either that or Brett was truly a one man team.
I think the rankings are faulty, but I also think that McCarthy IS a helluva coach..The notion that Brett was the only reason for the team's turnaround is absolutely ridiculous, although there are people out there who actually think that..

oregonpackfan
08-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Bears top 5:

1. Tommie Harris Defensive tackle (Grade 88)

2. Brian Urlacher Linebacker (86)

3. Lance Briggs Linebacker (82)

4. Devin Hester Kick returner (82)

5. Olin Kreutz Center (77)

What?! Rex Grossman did not make the top 5 for the Bears? That rating system is out of whack. :roll:

Guiness
08-27-2008, 08:09 PM
have to lol at this sort of a list. Almost as bad as draft projections! (not as bad, they do have something to go on)

So, the Vikes top five players (4 of which were on the team last year) are all rated higher or the same as our top player. Who went to the playoffs?

Boy, the secret squirrel sure did screw up big time last year. That, or this is one of those 'total is greater than the sum of the parts' things I keep hearing about.

Pugger
08-27-2008, 08:36 PM
BSPN = nuff said

GBRulz
08-27-2008, 09:44 PM
I think our kicker is pretty damn good. But I guess they don't count.

Grant at #10?? He should be like #2....behind Driver.

SnakeLH2006
08-28-2008, 12:04 AM

He is a three-down player who aligns inside and outside in pass-rush situations. He is a blue-collar type who plays with an outstanding motor. He can be very disruptive when attacking upfield gaps.

He's a competitive player with toughness. He has fluid hips and quick feet that make him smooth in transition. He is more natural from a press than from an off position and has good man-to-man cover skills. He relies on his instincts and can be aggressive at times when jumping routes.

3. LB Nick Barnett (79)

He is the quarterback of the Packers' defense. He is a smart, instinctive player with good athletic skills. Barnett is a solid three-down linebacker who continues to take his game to another level.

4. LB AJ Hawk (78)

He has a solid combination of size, speed and athletic skills for the position. He's an assignment-sure linebacker and is as reliable a tackler as there is. He is also a productive player with good range in coverage.

5. WR Greg Jennings (78)

He is a versatile player who can align in multiple spots in the Packers' spread offense. Jennings is a very productive player with enough size to be a big-time threat in the red zone.

6 WR Donald Driver (76)
7 OT Chad Clifton (75)
8 CB Al Harris (74)
9 DE Cullen Jenkins (71)
10 RB Ryan Grant (68)

I can't see Jenkins ahead of Grant, Ryan Pickett (67) and Mark Tauscher (65). Aaron Rodgers got the 13th highest rating (66).

I'd drop Hawk down a bunch of spots till he "arrives" as an impact player (I don't see anyone on here dropping their noodles going OMG are D is fucked with AJ out right now).

Currently, Al goes up a few spots, Grant too as he's a beast when healthy, and Cliffy is a beast EVERY year..

Makes you wonder what the plan is in a few years when Cliffy/Tauch move on as those bookends kept Favre upright for the past 7-8 years consistently. Both are vastly underrated IMO, esp Taucher who plays hurt and well.

Deputy Nutz
08-28-2008, 12:25 AM

3. LB Nick Barnett (79)

4. LB AJ Hawk (78)

5. WR Greg Jennings (78)

6 WR Donald Driver (76)
7 OT Chad Clifton (75)
8 CB Al Harris (74)
9 DE Cullen Jenkins (71)
10 RB Ryan Grant (68)

I'd drop Hawk down a bunch of spots till he "arrives" as an impact player (I don't see anyone on here dropping their noodles going OMG are D is fucked with AJ out right now).

Currently, Al goes up a few spots, Grant too as he's a beast when healthy, and Cliffy is a beast EVERY year..

Makes you wonder what the plan is in a few years when Cliffy/Tauch move on as those bookends kept Favre upright for the past 7-8 years consistently. Both are vastly underrated IMO, esp Taucher who plays hurt and well.

Hawk had a few poor games to start the season, but he does everything that is asked of him to a "T". The Packers pass coverage is certainly better when number 50 is out there. He goes strictly by the game plan set forth by the coaching staff, what do you want him to do? Fly off the reservation and start free lancing?

boiga
08-28-2008, 12:30 AM

Actually, I put a big part of the lousy run defense we had last game to Hawk's absence. The guy has never been showy, but now that he is missing I'm starting to realize how many times he's stopped a RB from gaining those last couple of yards every play. Sure we miss picket too, but Hawk was generally the guy filling those gaps. Without him, our run D seemed porous.

SnakeLH2006
08-28-2008, 12:35 AM

Actually, I put a big part of the lousy run defense we had last game to Hawk's absence. The guy has never been showy, but now that he is missing I'm starting to realize how many times he's stopped a RB from gaining those last couple of yards every play. Sure we miss picket too, but Hawk was generally the guy filling those gaps. Without him, our run D seemed porous.

I'm not dissing AJ, as he IS valuable, just not the 4th best player on our team right now. Pickett should be on that list easily of top 10 Packers making a difference. I'd put AJ at 9 and Pickett at 8. If no one remembers our DT run stopping was abysmal and still is without him.

Deputy Nutz
08-28-2008, 12:47 AM
10 most important players to the Packers, players the Packers can ill afford to lose for any significant amount of time.

1. Aaron Rodgers, nothing to back him up at this point, not that it really matters. QB depth in the NFL is quite poor. In my opinion it pays to develop young talent, potential is more important when it comes to the play of a back up QB.

2. Aaron Kampman, he is the only defensive player that consistently causes a problem in the other team's backfield. Without him the Packer all important pass rush takes a severe blow.

3. Charles Woodson, he is simply to good and valuable in man coverage. His experience and instinct can not be match by any other defensive player on the roster much less by a group of young, and inexperienced corners.

4. Chad Clifton, one of the best protectors in the game. Sure the Packers can move Colledge to the show position on the offensive line if Clifton goes down, but Colledge has yet to prove he can play offensive guard and be a consistent starter for the Packers.

5. Nick Barnett, He is the emotional and defensive leader on this ball club. His sideline to sideline speed cannot be replaced by any backups currently on the roster. Barnett does not leave the field on defense, he plays in all the packages and has really improved his coverage skills over the past few years. The gap between Barnett and his back ups is too great to lose him for any significant amount of time. If anything would happen to him Hawk might be the wise choice to move to the middle.

6. Ryan Pickett, after the trade of Williams the progression of the defensive line has all but stalled. Jolly has been arrested and could face suspension, Harrell is out for at least the first 6 games due to injury, and Pickett has yet to suit up for the pre-season. The run defense starts and ends with Pickett. If he does his job then the Packers are usually succesful in stopping the run. Right now nobody on the roster can do the job he does on first and second down.

7. Ryan Grant, the running game isn't nearly as dynamic when he isn't playing. He has got good vision behind the line and he has a nice burst. He certainly reminds me of a faster Dorsey Levens. He is allusive and he can also lower his shoulder and deliver a blow. Again Brandon Jackson is decent, younger back, but he doesn't have the vision and explosion like Grant. The running game at this point depends on Grant being healthy.

8. Donald Lee, the tight end is a big part of the Packers scheme on offense, and Lee is a nice talent that does a good job blocking, but is a threat down the middle of the field with usually secure hands catching the football. Why he is important to the Packers is the lack of depth behind him. I rate him higher than Driver and Jennings simply because the Packers only have Humphrey and rookie Finnley backing him up while at receiver the Packers have Jones, Martin, and Nelson to replace Driver and Jennings.

9. Donald Driver, he might not be the deep threat for the Packers but he is the receiver that will catch the ball and run a route any where on the field. He is still the receiver that makes openings for others to catch the ball. He is also the inspirational leader of the offense and player figure head for the Packers now that Brett Favre is gone.

10. Greg Jennings, simply the most explosive offensive weapon the Packers have on offense. He can go deep and catch the bomb, or he can turn a 7 yard slant into a 70 yard touchdown catch. He goes down the Packer lose a significant piece of their offense.

SnakeLH2006
08-28-2008, 12:50 AM
10 most important players to the Packers, players the Packers can ill afford to lose for any significant amount of time.

1. Aaron Rodgers, nothing to back him up at this point, not that it really matters. QB depth in the NFL is quite poor. In my opinion it pays to develop young talent, potential is more important when it comes to the play of a back up QB.

2. Aaron Kampman, he is the only defensive player that consistently causes a problem in the other team's backfield. Without him the Packer all important pass rush takes a severe blow.

3. Charles Woodson, he is simply to good and valuable in man coverage. His experience and instinct can not be match by any other defensive player on the roster much less by a group of young, and inexperienced corners.

4. Chad Clifton, one of the best protectors in the game. Sure the Packers can move Colledge to the show position on the offensive line if Clifton goes down, but Colledge has yet to prove he can play offensive guard and be a consistent starter for the Packers.

5. Nick Barnett, He is the emotional and defensive leader on this ball club. His sideline to sideline speed cannot be replaced by any backups currently on the roster. Barnett does not leave the field on defense, he plays in all the packages and has really improved his coverage skills over the past few years. The gap between Barnett and his back ups is too great to lose him for any significant amount of time. If anything would happen to him Hawk might be the wise choice to move to the middle.

6. Ryan Pickett, after the trade of Williams the progression of the defensive line has all but stalled. Jolly has been arrested and could face suspension, Harrell is out for at least the first 6 games due to injury, and Pickett has yet to suit up for the pre-season. The run defense starts and ends with Pickett. If he does his job then the Packers are usually succesful in stopping the run. Right now nobody on the roster can do the job he does on first and second down.

7. Ryan Grant, the running game isn't nearly as dynamic when he isn't playing. He has got good vision behind the line and he has a nice burst. He certainly reminds me of a faster Dorsey Levens. He is allusive and he can also lower his shoulder and deliver a blow. Again Brandon Jackson is decent, younger back, but he doesn't have the vision and explosion like Grant. The running game at this point depends on Grant being healthy.

8. Donald Lee, the tight end is a big part of the Packers scheme on offense, and Lee is a nice talent that does a good job blocking, but is a threat down the middle of the field with usually secure hands catching the football. Why he is important to the Packers is the lack of depth behind him.

9. Donald Driver, he might not be the deep threat for the Packers but he is the receiver that will catch the ball and run a route any where on the field. He is still the receiver that makes openings for others to catch the ball. He is also the inspirational leader of the offense and player figure head for the Packers now that Brett Favre is gone.

10. Greg Jennings, simply the most explosive offensive weapon the Packers have on offense. He can go deep and catch the bomb, or he can turn a 7 yard slant into a 70 yard touchdown catch. He goes down the Packer lose a significant piece of their offense.

Awesome list Dep...don't know how to disagree to that, yet we gotta find room for Tauch on there somewhere...Thinking D. Lee as I don't know his chemistry with the RodMan at this point (tho still important).

The Leaper
08-28-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm not dissing AJ, as he IS valuable, just not the 4th best player on our team right now. Pickett should be on that list easily of top 10 Packers making a difference. I'd put AJ at 9 and Pickett at 8. If no one remembers our DT run stopping was abysmal and still is without him.

In general, I would agree. To be honest, I think they pegged AJ right where he should be in terms of value...but they vastly underestimate several other players, such as Pickett, Barnett, Tauscher, Jennings, etc.

If I was using their criteria, my top 10 would look like this:

1. Kampman (86)
2. Barnett (84)
3. Woodson (82)
4. Jennings (80)
5. Pickett (80)
6. Hawk (78)
7. Clifton (75)
8. Tauscher (75)
9. Grant (72)
10. Driver (72)

Harris and Jenkins are not top 10 players on this team...no way. Rodgers may deserve to be in here, but we just don't know until we see him in action for a full season.

boiga
08-28-2008, 12:31 PM
I think you guys are over rating Woodson more than a little. The guy is the biggest playmaker on our defense, but his pure coverage skills are lacking compared to Harris. Sure we were miserable last year during his injury time, but if Al ever goes down you'll see how big the gap is between our 1st and 2nd CB.

Sure C-Wood makes the flashiest interceptions, but it's the dirtyone's disruptive presence at the line that makes our bump and run defense work. If he goes down before Tramon has really developed into elite talent, we'd probably have to switch over to zone. When Woodson went down, we lost a play maker. Without Al, our entire scheme would be in jeopardy.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I'd take Woodson over Harris. He can cover in zone and man, and he's a playmaker. Having Harris actually limits us. He plays great bump and run, but he's not a good zone cover corner. Woodson is good at both.

boiga
08-28-2008, 12:55 PM
True, Woodson is good at both, but Harris is the best Bump and Run corner in the league. There is a reason that he's the guy who takes the opposing teams #1 receiver every sunday.

Also, Woodson needs Harris. Al's guy is out of position or too closely covered often enough that the ball gets thrown in Wood's direction fairly often. This is what leads to those big interceptions that make Chuck look good. Without that presence, Woodson's productivity would go way down. That's probably why he doesn't complain about being the 2nd CB or compete with Harris for prestige.

This board drastically underrates Harris' importance on our defense.

The Leaper
08-28-2008, 01:55 PM
While I agree that Harris is a key cog, I feel like Harris is going to start to decline in 2008. That is why I would rank him lower. 2 years ago...yeah, he's a top 5 player on the team. Now? Nope.

Woodson is more important because of his versatility and ability to create turnovers. Harris is a one trick pony...bump and run coverage. Sure, he was probably the best in the league at doing that over the last 4-5 years...but his decline due to age probably has already begun and I expect Al to not be quite as dominant in 2008.

The ranking isn't about IMPORTANCE...it is about TALENT/PERFORMANCE. Rodgers and Harris might both be top 5 guys on the team in importance...but I'd hesitate to put them anywhere near that in terms of talent/performance.

bobblehead
08-28-2008, 06:16 PM
So....jared allen is an 89, and tauscher who shut him and kerny DOWN is a 65......nice system.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2008, 07:09 PM
So....jared allen is an 89, and tauscher who shut him and kerny DOWN is a 65......nice system.

Actually, Clifton shut him down.

bobblehead
08-28-2008, 09:39 PM

Actually, Clifton shut him down.
I can't swear to it, but I think allen moved around a lot in that game and they both stoned him...but I could be wrong, my mind went blank when favre tossed the pick before half.

Guiness
08-28-2008, 09:43 PM
I can't swear to it, but I think allen moved around a lot in that game and they both stoned him...but I could be wrong, my mind went blank when favre tossed the pick before half.

Try not drinking Aqua Velva next time :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2008, 09:58 PM

Mostly Clifton. Got big props afterwards. He wasn't even helped that much.

packerbacker1234
08-29-2008, 08:15 PM
That first post ratings has to be a joke right? They do realize... of course, that Cullen Jenkins did very little last year at DE, and actually requested to move back to DT in the offseason right? A move, of course, which was sort of "maybe , maybe not" debated.

Also, RT Mark Taucher is better then Ryan Grant and Cullen Jenkins combined. I know LT gets all the pub, but Tauscher has been just as good on the other side.

HarveyWallbangers
08-29-2008, 08:42 PM
They do realize... of course, that Cullen Jenkins did very little last year at DE, and actually requested to move back to DT in the offseason right?

Source?

SnakeLH2006
08-31-2008, 12:59 AM
I think you guys are over rating Woodson more than a little. The guy is the biggest playmaker on our defense, but his pure coverage skills are lacking compared to Harris. Sure we were miserable last year during his injury time, but if Al ever goes down you'll see how big the gap is between our 1st and 2nd CB.

Sure C-Wood makes the flashiest interceptions, but it's the dirtyone's disruptive presence at the line that makes our bump and run defense work. If he goes down before Tramon has really developed into elite talent, we'd probably have to switch over to zone. When Woodson went down, we lost a play maker. Without Al, our entire scheme would be in jeopardy.

Doubt that....they showed stats on JSO the past two years last year and were about even in 1 on 1 coverage vs. the receiver they faced. Yes, Al gets the better receiver, but they throw at him because he doesn't have good hands to make the pick like Wood does. If we had a poll over who we'd want if we had to cut one of them, Al would get the boot based on last season. I can't remember Wood EVER getting manhandled like Al did in a few games last year. Granted both are old and have declining speed (Wood was a burner years ago, Al never was), but Wood has those playmaking skills we've lacked since D. Sharp left a few years ago. I like both, but expect a drop off in Al this year, Wood will stay steady.