PDA

View Full Version : QB Sneak

HarveyWallbangers
08-27-2008, 07:29 PM
35.7% is atrocious.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=787823

Notes: Rodgers adept at QB sneak

For reasons having to do with age, vulnerability to injury and personal preference, McCarthy didn’t sneak with Brett Favre. In the first game McCarthy ever coached, he tried a sneak against Chicago and Favre was stuffed on fourth and 1. He never tried it again...

With the Packers’ sneak in mothballs, foes had one fewer option to defend. Green Bay ranked 32nd in third- and fourth-and-1 plays at 35.7% in 2007 after tying for 28th at 58.3% in ’06.

BF4MVP
08-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Should improve now that we have the sneak as an option..

3-for-3 is pretty good..Although, I know, it's preseason... 8-)

The Shadow
08-27-2008, 10:09 PM
The sneak - or at least the threat of it -is an absolute essential component to the ground game.

sheepshead
08-27-2008, 10:30 PM
The sneak - or at least the threat of it -is an absolute essential component to the ground game.

Nice to have another arrow in the quiver. ARods flop against the Broncos was a nice touch!

Freak Out
08-27-2008, 11:11 PM
It always bothered me that the toughest guy on the field couldn't sneak for a 1st down.

SnakeLH2006
08-27-2008, 11:34 PM
It always bothered me that the toughest guy on the field couldn't sneak for a 1st down.

John Ryan had that Steve Youngish 5 broken tackle scramble for a 1st down last year. Bring him in on sneaks.....

Pacopete4
08-28-2008, 12:17 AM
They did it cuz they didnt wanna see the iron man get hurt on a sneak... it always bothered me too..

SnakeLH2006
08-28-2008, 12:47 AM
They did it cuz they didnt wanna see the iron man get hurt on a sneak... it always bothered me too..

I dunno, at 38 it's hard to drive the ball over the goalline..Favre was never that mobile even in his younger days. Arod does have some hops tho. Doubt they did it to keep his streak (if Favre could he would've done it)...luckily his arm is ageless (broke fingers of 2 diff. receivers in Jet camp so far...they should form a self-help group :lol: ). Bottom line Arod can and will do the sneak, Favre hasn't been able to do it in a LONGGGG...time.

Deputy Nutz
08-28-2008, 12:57 AM

I dunno, at 38 it's hard to drive the ball over the goalline..Favre was never that mobile even in his younger days. Arod does have some hops tho. Doubt they did it to keep his streak (if Favre could he would've done it)...luckily his arm is ageless (broke fingers of 2 diff. receivers in Jet camp so far...they should form a self-help group :lol: ). Bottom line Arod can and will do the sneak, Favre hasn't been able to do it in a LONGGGG...time.

Favre was one of the most mobile and athletic QBs. Go watch some highlights of his scrambles, and his ability to buy time in the pocket.

He didn't need to create yards with his feet, his feet supplemented his arm.

SnakeLH2006
08-28-2008, 01:00 AM

Favre was one of the most mobile and athletic QBs. Go watch some highlights of his scrambles, and his ability to buy time in the pocket.

I don't need to see those plays, I've seen every Favre game and am one of his biggest supporters, yet he hasn't shown a burst in many years (name a scramble over 20 yards in 10 years)..his agility is 2nd to none even at his age (his ability to elude a rush, make a quick step is legendary...I mean 15 sacks with 650 pass attempts at 38 years old??)...just saying he didn't have the burst/lunge to get a first down or they'd have done it over the past 3-5 years. End post.

Deputy Nutz
08-28-2008, 01:05 AM
You said "Favre was never that mobile even in his younger days." That statement is utterly false. End Post.

Pacopete4
08-28-2008, 01:11 AM

I don't need to see those plays, I've seen every Favre game and am one of his biggest supporters, yet he hasn't shown a burst in many years (name a scramble over 20 yards in 10 years)..his agility is 2nd to none even at his age (his ability to elude a rush, make a quick step is legendary...I mean 15 sacks with 650 pass attempts at 38 years old??)...just saying he didn't have the burst/lunge to get a first down or they'd have done it over the past 3-5 years. End post.

Favre ran for a 21 yard gain last year...
14 was his longest the year before that
20 was his longest the year before that
17 the year before that...

Favre DID NOT WANT to run.... he DID NOT HAVE to run... but to judge his athletic ability on that?.. you gotta be shittin me.. he's more athletic at 38 than Arod will ever hope to be... along with most in this league..

SnakeLH2006
08-28-2008, 01:16 AM

Favre ran for a 21 yard gain last year...
14 was his longest the year before that
20 was his longest the year before that
17 the year before that...

Favre DID NOT WANT to run.... he DID NOT HAVE to run... but to judge his athletic ability on that?.. you gotta be shittin me.. he's more athletic at 38 than Arod will ever hope to be... along with most in this league..

You gotta be shitting me Paco..thought we were in a Favre fan club...lol...I'm not dissing Favre, but the one, I mean one thing he didn't couldn't do anymore was run anymore. He's great now, but I think Arod can do one thing (only this one) better than Favre, and that is sneak for 1 yard. End post...geez.

Pacopete4
08-28-2008, 01:24 AM
sorry bud... I have been just sick of hearing that Favre cant do this or that.. hope we can still be favre groupies haha jk

SnakeLH2006
08-28-2008, 01:29 AM
sorry bud... I have been just sick of hearing that Favre cant do this or that.. hope we can still be favre groupies haha jk

This'll do. I'd throw down a poster of this.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh9/MISSINGEAGLE/14.jpg

The Leaper
08-28-2008, 08:11 AM

Toughness can't overcome 38 year old legs that have taken more snaps than any other QB in the history of the game.

Besides, the QB sneak actually is more about the center than it is the QB. Wells is a puny center...IMO, a big reason Rodgers had success with the sneaks this preseason was that Wells has been sidelined and we have a bigger guy in there at center.

Deputy Nutz
08-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Under Sherman the Packers did really well going for it in short yardage situations without having to use the sneak. Nobody complained about the lack of sneak when Ahman Green would flat out punish the opposing defense on 3rd in short or 4th in short. Some of his biggest runs came on those downs.

This is such a ridiculous knock on Favre it boarders on retarded. If a team can't run the football for a first down on 4th and one then the team has bigger problems than the QBs ability to sneak.

How pissed would Packer Nation have been if Favre tore up his shoulder trying to sneak for a first down? Outrage, but now it is ok to criticize him for it, seems like a reoccurring theme here.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2008, 08:45 AM
You said "Favre was never that mobile even in his younger days." That statement is utterly false. End Post.

Agreed.

What? Come on. Take off the Favre goggles.

Zool
08-28-2008, 08:54 AM

What? Come on. Take off the Favre goggles.

Heh. Thats homeriffic.

The Leaper
08-28-2008, 09:34 AM
This is such a ridiculous knock on Favre it boarders on retarded. If a team can't run the football for a first down on 4th and one then the team has bigger problems than the QBs ability to sneak.

How pissed would Packer Nation have been if Favre tore up his shoulder trying to sneak for a first down? Outrage, but now it is ok to criticize him for it, seems like a reoccurring them here.

Yep...the anti-Favre segment love to harp on ANY Favre weakness and run with it like they've just robbed a bank.

The notion that Favre was in any way responsible for our attrocious performance in short yardage situations the last 2-3 years is ridiculous. Point the blame at Ted Thompson for not adequately replacing either Wahle, Flanagan, or Rivera despite having THREE OFFSEASONS now to do so. Our interior OL is a joke...so it is no wonder that we can't muster a damn yard when we need to.

HarveyWallbangers
08-28-2008, 09:54 AM
It's not a big knock, but the fact we were just 36% successful on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 shows that we could use a QB that can run for a first down in short yardage situations. No doubt about it.

mraynrand
08-28-2008, 09:58 AM
This discussion has degenerated into one about the sneak?

1) To sneak Rodgers in a preseason game 3 TIMES, with rookies on the bench was madness

2) Any NFL coach in this era who is using the sneak deliberately as a weapon with his starting QB, is a bit mad. It presents the chance for the defense to take multiple pot shots at the QB. The defense always loves to knock QBs out of the game. It's a risky tactic.

3) Some QBs were great runners - like Steve Young and Mike Vick. But they open themselves up for major injury. Just ask Steve Young about the 1996 Wild card game vs. Philly - did that affect the Niner's season, ya think?

If McCarthy really wants to use the sneak with Rodgers, it should only be used in total desperation - certainly not 3 times in a preseason game.

Pacopete4
08-28-2008, 09:59 AM
It's not a big knock, but the fact we were just 36% successful on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 shows that we could use a QB that can run for a first down in short yardage situations. No doubt about it.

Never had a problem til this zone blocking scheme came into play... maybe we shoulda stuck with the big beefers that actually knew how to move people and create holes..

Zool
08-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Too much is made of the ZBS. Here's a good writeup from Easterbrook.

Houston now has Alex Gibbs -- the guy who directed the blocking for the Denver rushing game which made [Insert Name Here] into star tailbacks. Gibbs is coaching the Texans' offensive line and bearing the title assistant head coach. Because most sportswriters don't understand how the Gibbs blocking system works, they call it "zone blocking." That's like calling all short passing attacks a West Coast offense. (TMQ has long believed most full-time football writers and sportscasters cannot diagram most standard football tactics.) It's not so much that Gibbs-coached offensive lines block an area rather than a specific man, many offensive lines do this at least some of the time. What's distinctive about the Gibbs system is that it involves deliberate blocking in the back.

Deliberate blocking in the back is legal inside the "free blocking" zone, the area close to the line of scrimmage and between the offensive tackles at the snap. Gibbs-coached offensive linemen press the envelop on the free-blocking rule. Rather than driving toward a defender or pulling, Gibbs-coached linemen slide to the play side on many rushing downs and try to slam the nearest playside defender in his back. The Gibbs system also teaches deliberate low blocking, which is legal in two instances, a fact poorly understood. It's an illegal chop block if one offensive lineman engages a defender and stands him up, then a second offensive lineman hits the defender low. But if one offensive lineman hits the defender high and another hits him low simultaneously, that's kosher. Or if a blocker makes initial contact with a defender's hands, it is legal for the blocker to slide down low on the defender's body. This is why defensive linemen are coached to get their hands on an offensive lineman's shoulder pads or back; once this happens, the offensive lineman cannot legally slide low.

In-line play in the free-blocking zone is chaotic, with players on both sides trying to get away with holding or other fouls, and constant confusion regarding whose hands are legally where. But Gibbs has studied the quirks of blocking rules and relentlessly coaches his players to hit low or in the back within the rules. The goal is not exactly to try to injure the defender; rather, to force the defender to protect himself against injury by guarding his knees and not turning his back. A front-seven player who is concerned about protecting his knees and back will be less effective as a defender.

mraynrand
08-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Or if a blocker makes initial contact with a defender's hands, it is legal for the blocker to slide down low on the defender's body. This is why defensive linemen are coached to get their hands on an offensive lineman's shoulder pads or back; once this happens, the offensive lineman cannot legally slide low.

Should read illegal, right? I didn't know this about the defenders' hands - so once engaged above, the lineman cannot slide down to block. Sounds kinda like the rules for dancing the lambada.

Zool
08-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Thats the part that threw me too. It appears that if the OL makes initial contact he can slide low, but not vise versa? The rules are tough to follow for that. Low contact causes injuries, but where do you draw the line? Sometimes hitting a guy in the thigh with a shoulder is the easiest way to bring him down but get too low and you hit a knee. POP.

Mainly its more to show that the ZBS isnt so foreign to power schemes as far as philosophy.

Guiness
08-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Interesting article, Zool. You da man :P
Was this the whole article? Got a link?

The part about sliding low is confusing to me as well.

I always thought one of the hallmarks of his scheme was the cut block on the non-play side to stop backside pursuit. At least, we heard a lot about that, and how our tackles were having difficulty with it.

There's always a lot of talk about chop blocking...but this is the first I've heard about blocking in the back. Is that something the Pack does a lot of?

Damn, damn, damn I wish there was some way to get some film other than the stuff that shows up on the network. I actually enjoy watching and analyzing game film, and would LOVE to have footage from a camera that pointed at the line for the whole game.

Zool
08-28-2008, 11:20 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080819

Freak Out
08-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Sneaking and running around like Vick and Young did are completely different deals...a good sneak is just a one yard or less plunge behind the center or guard and laying down..if it works great but stay low...guys that tried to go over the top seemed to always get hammered and never made it...they just seemed to give free shots to the D.
M3 running the sneak with Rodgers three times in a preseason game does seem just a little crazy all things considered.

pbmax
08-28-2008, 12:47 PM
I know the free blocking zone he seems to be describing allows for things that cannot go on in other parts of the field, but is blocking in the back legal there as well? I don't remember that being in any description I have read.

Thats the part that threw me too. It appears that if the OL makes initial contact he can slide low, but not vise versa? The rules are tough to follow for that. Low contact causes injuries, but where do you draw the line? Sometimes hitting a guy in the thigh with a shoulder is the easiest way to bring him down but get too low and you hit a knee. POP.

Mainly its more to show that the ZBS isnt so foreign to power schemes as far as philosophy.

The Gunshooter
08-28-2008, 02:03 PM
I have been watching football for 4 decades and never once saw a QB get seriously hurt running a sneak.

mraynrand
08-28-2008, 04:44 PM
I have been watching football for 4 decades and never once saw a QB get seriously hurt running a sneak.

Good point. I've been watching 4 decades and I can't recall an instance either. And above, it was pointed out that the sneak is different than a QB draw or running like Vick or Young. I guess I was over reacting to Rodgers sneaking 3 times in a preseason game...